Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Ricki and The Flash (Ayala Cinemas Exclusive - Sept. 9)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
MERYL ROCKS HARD IN FIRST “RICKI AND THE FLASH” IMAGE
via press relase

TriStar Pictures has just revealed the first-look image of its uplifting comedy “Ricki and the Flash.”
The photograph shows three-time Academy Award® winner Meryl Streep as she goes electric and takes on a whole new gig – a hard-rocking singer/guitarist.

RATF-Image1.jpg

“Ricki and the Flash” is from Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody.

In a film loaded with music and live performance, Streep stars as Ricki, a guitar heroine who gave up everything for her dream of rock-and-roll stardom, but is now returning home to make things right with her family. Streep stars opposite her real-life daughter Mamie Gummer, who plays her fictional daughter; Rick Springfield, who takes on the role of a Flash member in love with Ricki; and Kevin Kline, who portrays Ricki’s long-suffering ex-husband.

Opening across the Philippines in August 2015, “Ricki and the Flash” is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.

Comments

• QT IIQT II PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Buhay pa rin si Rick Springfield????
  • QT II wrote: »
    Buhay pa rin si Rick Springfield????
    :lol: bakit naman? si ringo starr nga buhay pa. :D
  • Meryl-Streep1-620x400.jpg
    Rick Springfield still looking good at 64
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    TEASER TRAILER, POSTER UP FOR “RICKI AND THE FLASH”
    via press release

RICKI_INTL_DgtlMrkt_1.jpg

The teaser poster and trailer for the new Meryl Streep film, “Ricki and the Flash” have just been released by Columbia Pictures, and may now be seen here below:

Three-time Academy Award® winner Meryl Streep goes electric and takes on a whole new gig – a hard-rocking singer/guitarist – for Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody in the uplifting comedy “Ricki and the Flash.”

In a film loaded with music and live performance, Streep stars as Ricki, a guitar heroine who gave up everything for her dream of rock-and-roll stardom, but is now returning home to make things right with her family. Streep stars opposite her real-life daughter Mamie Gummer, who plays her fictional daughter; Rick Springfield, who takes on the role of a Flash member in love with Ricki; and Kevin Kline, who portrays Ricki’s long-suffering ex-husband.

The film also stars Sebastian Stan (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier”).

Opening soon in cinemas across the Philippines, “Ricki and the Flash” is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.
  • keyellekeyelle PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    “RICKI AND THE FLASH” REVEALS MAIN TRAILER
    via press release

RATF-04.jpg

Columbia Pictures has just revealed the main trailer for its upcoming feel-good film, “Ricki and the Flash” which may now be seen here:

Three-time Academy Award® winner Meryl Streep goes electric and takes on a whole new gig – a hard-rocking singer/guitarist – for Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody in the uplifting comedy “Ricki and the Flash.”

In a film loaded with music and live performance, Streep stars as Ricki, a guitar heroine who gave up everything for her dream of rock-and-roll stardom, but is now returning home to make things right with her family. Streep stars opposite her real-life daughter Mamie Gummer, who plays her fictional daughter; Rick Springfield, who takes on the role of a Flash member in love with Ricki; and Kevin Kline, who portrays Ricki’s long-suffering ex-husband.The film also stars Sebastian Stan (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier”).

Opening soon in cinemas across the Philippines, “Ricki and the Flash” is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.
  • Is there any role this woman cannot do? Meryl Streep is once again brilliant here as an aging 80s rocker who tries to reconnect with her children, particularly her daughter, who is played by Meryl's real life daughter, Mamie Gummer

r6p9iVe.jpg
    OSCAR-WINNING FILMMAKERS FIND RIGHT TONE FOR “RICKI AND THE FLASH”
    via press release

RATF-05_zps4xxjd3pm.jpg

Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody collaborate with Meryl Streep in TriStar Pictures’ “Ricki and the Flash.”

In an original film loaded with live musical performances, Streep stars as Ricki Rendazzo, a guitar heroine who made a world of mistakes as she followed her dreams of rock ‘n’ roll stardom. Returning home, Ricki gets a shot at redemption and a chance to make things right as she faces the music with her family.

Streep stars opposite her real-life daughter Mamie Gummer; Rick Springfield, portraying a Flash member in love with Ricki; Kevin Kline as Ricki’s ex-husband; and Audra McDonald as Kline’s new wife.

“Everyone has part of their past they wish they could change,” says director Jonathan Demme. Ricki is a guitar-shredding, hard-rocking mama, filled with regret for the mistakes of her past, who now has a chance to make things right. “When Ricki sees her daughter in desperate straits,” Demme adds, “she understands that it’s a chance for a certain kind of redemption, and she’s going to make good on all of the bad choices she made in her past.”

“Ricki Rendazzo is definitely a Meryl Streep we’ve never seen before,” Demme continues. “Meryl has been taking these incredible acting chances – bringing to life some famous figures, or the terrifying witch in `Into the Woods,’ she’s doing a lot of extreme characters. In this film, Ricki has her extremes, but Meryl plays it so down-to-earth – an actual, authentic, singing guitar player, a real twenty-first century woman.”

Ricki was born in the mind of Diablo Cody, the Oscar® winning screenwriter of “Juno” and “Young Adult” and the television series “The United States of Tara.”

“When I read the script, initially, I found myself completely rooted in the characters – especially the journey of Ricki, and her relationships with her daughter, her ex-husband, and her new boyfriend,” says Marc Platt, a producer of the film. “By the end of the journey, I was very moved – I was elated. That’s the barometer for me, to see whether I want to get involved or not – do I have that kind of visceral reaction and response when I read a script? And I did. It left something real in my heart upon the first read.”

Cody says that the inspiration for such an original character actually came from real life and very close to home. “The character of Ricki was actually inspired by my mother-in-law, Terry, who is the lead singer in a Jersey Shore rock band called Silk and Steel,” says Cody. “Terry is a grandmother of six, and she’s still up there rocking out every weekend, walking on the bar, just electrifying the audience. Rock ‘n’ roll is her life, and I think there have been people in her life who have thought it was kind of a silly thing for a mom or grandmother to do – and she doesn’t give a damn. I love that about her.”

In the film, Ricki Rendazzo heads from her home in L.A. to be with her daughter, Julie, at a moment of crisis. From her rock ‘n’ roll world, Ricki heads to Indiana, to the life she left behind as Linda Brummell, a wife and a mom of three. Still, Cody notes, as much as Ricki wants redemption, she still wants it on her own terms. “Ricki is Ricki,” she says. “In the past, she was Linda Brummell, Pete’s wife. She was a mom, she lived in Indiana. She doesn’t want to be that again; she’s very secure in her Ricki-ness.”

Bringing the film together is director Jonathan Demme. “If there was ever a script for Jonathan Demme to direct, it’s `Ricki and the Flash,” says Platt. “Think of Jonathan’s work – he’s brilliant with female actresses and roles. He’s made some of the great films with music groups – he lived in the world of rock. The texture of his films is all about diversity and tolerance and different people from different walks of life finding a life together. He was the inevitable choice. So when he called me and said, ‘I have to direct this movie,’ it was music to my ears, but not a surprise.”

To be shown exclusively at Ayala Malls Cinemas nationwide starting Sept. 9, “Ricki and the Flash” is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.
    OSCAR-WINNING FILMMAKERS FIND RIGHT TONE FOR “RICKI AND THE FLASH”
    via press release

RATF-MGummer_MStreep_zpsm3l3se4y.jpg

Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody collaborate with Meryl Streep in TriStar Pictures’ “Ricki and the Flash.”

In an original film loaded with live musical performances, Streep stars as Ricki Rendazzo, a guitar heroine who made a world of mistakes as she followed her dreams of rock ‘n’ roll stardom. Returning home, Ricki gets a shot at redemption and a chance to make things right as she faces the music with her family.
    Streep stars opposite her real-life daughter Mamie Gummer; Rick Springfield, portraying a Flash member in love with Ricki; Kevin Kline as Ricki’s ex-husband; and Audra McDonald as Kline’s new wife.

“Everyone has part of their past they wish they could change,” says director Jonathan Demme. Ricki is a guitar-shredding, hard-rocking mama, filled with regret for the mistakes of her past, who now has a chance to make things right. “When Ricki sees her daughter in desperate straits,” Demme adds, “she understands that it’s a chance for a certain kind of redemption, and she’s going to make good on all of the bad choices she made in her past.”

“Ricki Rendazzo is definitely a Meryl Streep we’ve never seen before,” Demme continues. “Meryl has been taking these incredible acting chances – bringing to life some famous figures, or the terrifying witch in `Into the Woods,’ she’s doing a lot of extreme characters. In this film, Ricki has her extremes, but Meryl plays it so down-to-earth – an actual, authentic, singing guitar player, a real twenty-first century woman.”
    Ricki was born in the mind of Diablo Cody, the Oscar® winning screenwriter of “Juno” and “Young Adult” and the television series “The United States of Tara.”

“When I read the script, initially, I found myself completely rooted in the characters – especially the journey of Ricki, and her relationships with her daughter, her ex-husband, and her new boyfriend,” says Marc Platt, a producer of the film. “By the end of the journey, I was very moved – I was elated. That’s the barometer for me, to see whether I want to get involved or not – do I have that kind of visceral reaction and response when I read a script? And I did. It left something real in my heart upon the first read.”

Cody says that the inspiration for such an original character actually came from real life and very close to home. “The character of Ricki was actually inspired by my mother-in-law, Terry, who is the lead singer in a Jersey Shore rock band called Silk and Steel,” says Cody. “Terry is a grandmother of six, and she’s still up there rocking out every weekend, walking on the bar, just electrifying the audience. Rock ‘n’ roll is her life, and I think there have been people in her life who have thought it was kind of a silly thing for a mom or grandmother to do – and she doesn’t give a damn. I love that about her.”

In the film, Ricki Rendazzo heads from her home in L.A. to be with her daughter, Julie, at a moment of crisis. From her rock ‘n’ roll world, Ricki heads to Indiana, to the life she left behind as Linda Brummell, a wife and a mom of three. Still, Cody notes, as much as Ricki wants redemption, she still wants it on her own terms. “Ricki is Ricki,” she says. “In the past, she was Linda Brummell, Pete’s wife. She was a mom, she lived in Indiana. She doesn’t want to be that again; she’s very secure in her Ricki-ness.”

Bringing the film together is director Jonathan Demme. “If there was ever a script for Jonathan Demme to direct, it’s `Ricki and the Flash,” says Platt. “Think of Jonathan’s work – he’s brilliant with female actresses and roles. He’s made some of the great films with music groups – he lived in the world of rock. The texture of his films is all about diversity and tolerance and different people from different walks of life finding a life together. He was the inevitable choice. So when he called me and said, ‘I have to direct this movie,’ it was music to my ears, but not a surprise.”

To be shown exclusively at Ayala Malls Cinemas nationwide starting Sept. 9, “Ricki and the Flash” is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.
    MERYL STREEP LEARNS TO PLAY GUITAR FOR “RICKI AND THE FLASH”
    via press release

RATF-06_zpszsom9gop.jpg

Meryl Streep takes on a whole new gig – a hard-rocking singer/guitarist – for Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody in TriStar Pictures' “Ricki and the Flash.”

Streep stars as Ricki Rendazzo, a guitar heroine who made a world of mistakes as she followed her dreams of rock ‘n’ roll stardom. Returning home, Ricki gets a shot at redemption and a chance to make things right as she faces the music with her family.

“We all have to live with our mistakes,” says Streep. “I think she wishes that her kids liked her more, understood her – I think that is a regret – but she’s pretty clear-eyed about it. Ricki lives in the moment – she acts on the impulse that feels imperative to her. It’s a relief to play someone who doesn’t act how everybody thinks she should be. She’s saying, ‘I can’t help being the way I am.’”
    Though Streep was the first, best, and only choice to play the role, she would have to learn to play guitar to bring Ricki to life. Demme’s vision for the film, from the very beginning, was to make the band real. “With this kind of character-driven film, we have to make people feel like it’s real,” he says. “It never occurred to me to do anything other than make the band real. The customary thing is that the band pretends to play, and you overlay a previously-recorded, perfect track, but I didn’t want to do that – I wanted this great band, with Meryl at the center, to really get out there and play.

Streep, already a talented singer, trained for months to play the guitar, including several weeks with guitarist Larry Saltzman and several more with legendary Los Angeles session player Neil Citron. “To begin with, I started learning on an acoustic guitar with a teacher in New York and then moved to the electric guitar about a month later,” Streep explains. “Then I worked pretty much every day with Neil Citron, who is this genius guitar teacher. He put the telecaster in my hands and taught me a lot of little tricks that rock ‘n’ rollers use, bar chords, quick changes and stuff like that.”

She says that she found the electric guitar easier to play, “but your mistakes are much louder. With an acoustic, you get away with it. With an electric, you have to be really committed to that bad note because it’s ringing through the hall! It was such a lot of fun.”

“I never doubted for a second that Meryl wouldn’t become an excellent rhythm guitar player, because I know she’s a research beast,” says Demme. “She works as hard in the months leading up to a movie as she does when she’s shooting it.”

“Learning guitar was fun, but it was a private enterprise and then all of a sudden Jonathan said, ‘We’re going to get two weeks and the band’s going to get together.’ I thought, two weeks?! Two weeks to become a band?” Streep recalls. “It didn’t seem like enough time, but those guys were so great. They were very gentle with me and forgiving in the very beginning, because I really couldn’t keep up with them. Then, around the sixth day, we hit a groove and then we couldn’t stop playing. We played and played and played and I really get why Ricki wanted never to give that up, because it’s soooooo much fun.”

The rehearsals were so intense that the band barred all outsiders – even Demme himself – from the sessions. “That was fair,” Demme laughs. “When I finally showed up, three weeks in, and I entered the little room where they were playing, they were up on the bandstand and there was Meryl Streep, right in the middle of it, looking like she’d been doing it all her life. It was thrilling – the only thing more thrilling was when we started shooting and really seeing them play in front of a live audience.”
    “Originally, Jonathan said, ‘Three songs, it’s going to be easy, you’re going to have two weeks of rehearsal and three songs, tops!’” says Streep. “Well, there are ten songs in the movie – ten! – and that’s hard.”

ROCK LEGEND RICK SPRINGFIELD IN “RICKI AND THE FLASH”
    via press release

RATF-RSpringfield_zpsllorvyhw.jpg

At Ricki’s (Meryl Streep) side, on lead guitar in Columbia Pictures’ new dramedy “Ricki and the Flash,” director Jonathan Demme cast rock legend Rick Springfield. Best known for his 80s-era hits, including “Jessie’s Girl,” Springfield’s career has taken on new dimensions with multifaceted and complex acting roles.

“The part of Greg is definitely dual-purpose,” says Demme. “We needed a terrific actor capable of going toe-to-toe with Meryl Streep, but also an authentic shredder. I was worried about finding a great Greg. The assignment to our great casting directors was to find any actor who can play guitar and might have the capacity to step up. Find anyone in that age range – I’ll see anybody. And then Rick Springfield came in, we meet him, he’s very nice – and then he plugs in and he’s amazing.”

Later, Springfield had a second meeting with Streep – a meeting to ensure that the two actors would have chemistry together. “All of this authentic warmth comes out of him – he got Meryl to open up to stuff that she hadn’t known was there yet. He came in knowing that he would be fantastic in this part – it was an exciting opportunity to play opposite Meryl Streep, to be a band member but also play a very complicated character beyond that,” says Demme. “When he left, we thought, ‘Oh my God, we have just found the greatest Greg of all.’”

“Rick is very alive and in the moment, as a person, a performer and an actor,” says Streep. “That’s a beautiful quality and a necessary one for Greg, because he’s a tender character. He’s the lead guitar in The Flash, but he also aspires to be the man in Ricki’s life. Greg just wants her to jump in with both feet, but Ricki has a lot of problems committing, and she’s really not sure she can make it not be a lie.”

“Greg is a good guitar player who never really made it,” says Springfield. “He had a brush with success that never went anywhere. But he loves to play and has been in love with Ricki for quite a while. He’s frustrated by her noncommittal, casual attitude to their relationship, but he loves playing music with her – that’s where they unite. They share that passion for music.”

Springfield’s greatest challenge in playing the role? “Not constantly going, ‘Oh, my God, it’s Meryl Streep!’” he jokes. Kidding aside, Springfield is used to owning the stage as a rock performer, but the part of Greg required him to defer to Ricki – the leader of The Flash. “I’m a bit of a show-boater,” he admits, “so to play the support role, I modelled it off a friend of mine, who actually has that relationship with his wife on stage. It was very fortuitous that I saw them – I kind of modelled it on that relationship. It’s an emotional thing that you hook into like you do with any acting role – you hook into that person through whatever process, and that guides a lot of how you react and how you work.”

Interestingly enough, Springfield and his character share a love for a very specific instrument. “In the script, Greg had a ‘68 SG. I actually have a ‘69 SG – I bought it new in 1970 and it’s been with me ever since. It was my main guitar on my first albums, and I played it and wrote a lot of my early songs on it, including ‘Jessie’s Girl.’ So it’s a very important guitar to me. I mentioned that to Jonathan, and he said, ‘Oh, we’ve got to use it.’ It was an instant connection for me to that guitar.”

MAMIE GUMMER SHARES SCREEN WITH MOM MERYL IN “RICKI AND THE FLASH”
    via press release

RATF-MGummer_MStreep_02_zpssx09o7xo.jpg

Fast-rising star Mamie Gummer (“Cake,” “Side Effects”) gets the chance to be paired in scenes with her famous mother, Meryl Streep, in Columbia Pictures' critically acclaimed drama-comedy “Ricki and The Flash.”

From Oscar®-winning director Jonathan Demme and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody, “Ricki and the Flash” is an original film loaded with live musical performances. Streep stars as Ricki Rendazzo, a guitar heroine who made a world of mistakes as she followed her dreams of rock ‘n’ roll stardom. Returning home, Ricki gets a shot at redemption and a chance to make things right as she faces the music with her family.

A mother-daughter story at its core, the real-life frisson that results gives the film added potency. Demme insisted that the two not talk outside of the scenes. Very close in real life, their estrangement on film is as palpable as their resemblance. True genetics adds a rare level of reality to the film.

“Mamie is very dramatic and always has been, from the age of three – or maybe three months – so we’ve been acting together for a long time,” says Streep. “I’m so in awe of her and her willingness to go barebones at it. It’s tough to come into our business, with a mother who’s so prominent in Hollywood, but kids have a unique vision of their parents, which is not really to put them on a pedestal. So, finding a way to be mad at me, manufacture rage – no problem.”

“Having known Meryl for years, I’ve also known Mamie personally, but also as an actress,” says producer Marc Platt. “I’ve always felt that she’s a terrific actress and there’s that role out there for Mamie that would make her a star. When I read the script and was thinking of Meryl in the role of Ricki, the thought came into my head that this would be a perfect role for Mamie. That would be true whether or not Meryl was playing Ricki, but when you add in the fact that it’s a mother-daughter story and Meryl would be playing the mother, I thought, this is that role.”

“She owns the role of Julie,” says Platt. “She’s made Julie even more interesting and complex and moving, and her relationship with her mom is fraught with complexity and love and anger and a whole mix of emotions.”

“Julie and Ricki are completely different, but as it turns out, they have incredible similarities,” says Demme. “The way they become close is really terrific. It was a lot of fun working with Mamie. Part of my job was to try to put a wedge between her and her mother – ‘That’s not your mom. That’s not Meryl Streep. This is a whole other mother we’re dealing with, and let’s team up and really give her a very tough ride, because she deserves it.’”

As one might expect, acting against one of cinema’s most renowned actresses, who also happens to be her mother, was an inspiring, but demanding, experience for Gummer. “It was more challenging than I anticipated, but also very rewarding and a rich experience,” she says. “It was tricky and fun and enlightening and empowering – every human emotion came into play. She’s the person who I’m intrinsically connected to, so to examine that bond and take it apart and put it back together every day was intense.”

“I think Ricki has always loved Julie, but has been so paralyzed by guilt over what she’s done, she’s been afraid to reach out,” Gummer explains. “In this story, she finally has an opportunity – suddenly Ricki is not the troubled person in the family. She can come in and say, from experience, that it gets better and it’ll be okay.”

“Julie was so committed to not being her mother,” says Gummer. “She was planning to be a stay-at-home mom. She was going to devote her life to her family and be the kind of mother that Ricki never was to her. So when it all blows up, she doesn’t know who she is or what her purpose is.”

“Diablo Cody created an amazing character, and Mamie brings her to life – she’s shocking and hilarious and heartbreaking and unpredictable,” says Demme. “She just slays it beyond belief.”

Opens tomorrow