Home PEx Campus Ateneo de Manila University

Ateneo Life?

Hi guys! I'm new here so forgive me if a similar topic has been posted before already.

So I passed my ACET exams and luckily got into Legal Management which would be my pre-law. I made up my mind that I'll enroll to Ateneo this summer but from time to time I'm having some doubts if I should still pursue this. I studied in LSGH since K1 so I guess you can see why it's hard for me to simply change my alma mater. Also, I'm kind of scared (or curious) about the life that I'll be having there since I would have to "change" everything per se. I just want to be "part" of the community there and hopefully not left out. :(

So I'm just curious to those who are currently studying in Ateneo, how did it end up for you guys? Did you all feel "at home" eventually?

No negative feedback about my post please. Mehehe :)

Comments

  • Hello! I don't know if I'm qualified to post here kasi I'm not studying there at the moment (I can relate, I'm new here too, I also passed the ACET, and I have also decided that Ateneo's the school for me). I can, however, speak on my brother's behalf.

    He's studying there right now and he's the happiest he's ever been in his life. He enjoys the atmosphere there, and diverse yung personalities ng mga blockmates niya so he's never bored. He told me that no matter what, mahahanap mo rin yung place mo sa campus. No matter how different grade school/high school was, you'll instantly feel at home especially with your blockmates because they're in a similar situation as you are (confused, scared, excited). I know that this sounds a bit clich?\, pero I think the key to fitting in is to be yourself lang. I don't think you'll have to change a thing about yourself in order to "fit in" kasi you passed the ACET nga so you deserve to be part of that community one way or another.

    I've been in the same school almost my entire life, and I'm also pretty scared of the possible "culture shock," but I try to look at those fears through a more refreshing lens. Think of college as an opportunity to start over. A clean slate. :wave: *partysmiley* :cheers:
  • I went to LSGH for my entire grade school and high school. I went to DLSU for my first year in college, then transferred to Ateneo in my second year in college. I graduated from Ateneo in college.

    Ateneo is more difficult than DLSU academically. That's the tough part. You have to be mroe disciplined and more diligent in your studies. Socially, it was an easy adjustment for me since the student body is very diverse. I developed many lasting friendships (and a few romantic relationships) in Ateneo.

    I'm sure you will enjoy your life in Ateneo. Just study hard!
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. Really appreciate it!
    Gangreen wrote: »
    I went to LSGH for my entire grade school and high school. I went to DLSU for my first year in college, then transferred to Ateneo in my second year in college. I graduated from Ateneo in college.

    Ateneo is more difficult than DLSU academically. That's the tough part. You have to be mroe disciplined and more diligent in your studies. Socially, it was an easy adjustment for me since the student body is very diverse. I developed many lasting friendships (and a few romantic relationships) in Ateneo.

    I'm sure you will enjoy your life in Ateneo. Just study hard!

    Oh hey if you don't mind me asking, why'd you transfer school?
  • ey i'm from lsgh and about to graduate too

    i've got a friend at admu who i talk to about what the community there is like for him

    warning, probably offensive biased post:
    he tells me about how elitist everyone there is, so much so that he doesn't even have any friends yet because he isn't "hot" enough, and he tells me that guys and gals from gh are the nicer people there, trying to convince me to go for dlsu instead

    i'm hoping to know if this is the kind of toxic, life-ruining environment i'm getting myself into since my cousin has loads of friends there who seem like totally cool people, completely different from what my friend tells me
  • Haven't posted here in a while. Here goes.
    Hi guys! I'm new here so forgive me if a similar topic has been posted before already.

    So I passed my ACET exams and luckily got into Legal Management which would be my pre-law. I made up my mind that I'll enroll to Ateneo this summer but from time to time I'm having some doubts if I should still pursue this. I studied in LSGH since K1 so I guess you can see why it's hard for me to simply change my alma mater. Also, I'm kind of scared (or curious) about the life that I'll be having there since I would have to "change" everything per se. I just want to be "part" of the community there and hopefully not left out. :(

    So I'm just curious to those who are currently studying in Ateneo, how did it end up for you guys? Did you all feel "at home" eventually?

    No negative feedback about my post please. Mehehe :)

    I know a lot of people who came from LSGH and Zobel and they had/are having such an amazing time. Totoo yung sinabi ni professorlayton na you will find your place. There are groups for everyone; writers, japanese and korean culture groups, debaters, entrepreneurs, fil-chis, etc. I guess the only flaw I can see here is that Ateneo is somewhat cliquish. Most people tend to stay within their groups. That's not to say that they don't interact with each other, because they do, but if given the choice, people would rather stay with their clique. It isn't as big of a problem as it once was though (if you've heard of the really big bench culture before). But yes, I think you'll find a group here that will definitely help you feel welcome and at home.
    thophson wrote: »
    ey i'm from lsgh and about to graduate too

    i've got a friend at admu who i talk to about what the community there is like for him

    warning, probably offensive biased post:
    he tells me about how elitist everyone there is, so much so that he doesn't even have any friends yet because he isn't "hot" enough, and he tells me that guys and gals from gh are the nicer people there, trying to convince me to go for dlsu instead

    i'm hoping to know if this is the kind of toxic, life-ruining environment i'm getting myself into since my cousin has loads of friends there who seem like totally cool people, completely different from what my friend tells me

    I'm wondering why your friend is thinking that way. Saying "how elitist everyone" is is a huge generalization. Ateneo may have that stereotype, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Sure there are some elitists, but I wouldn't even go as far as to say that most people here are. It's an incredible minority. I don't really want to judge immediately, but from what you've given, your friend sounds like he was never open to the idea of any relationships (be it friendly or romantically) at all. Like I said above, Ateneo has a lot of cliques. I'm sure that if looked, he would have found that one group. Most people do. No one's required to be "hot enough". That's a load of bull. I'm friends with cheerleaders, babble members, sports managers, as well as a part of the korean culture group, bio group, and japanese culture group. Honestly, it's not as bad as what your friend is implying.
  • Luc_wind wrote: »
    I'm wondering why your friend is thinking that way. Saying "how elitist everyone" is is a huge generalization. Ateneo may have that stereotype, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Sure there are some elitists, but I wouldn't even go as far as to say that most people here are. It's an incredible minority. I don't really want to judge immediately, but from what you've given, your friend sounds like he was never open to the idea of any relationships (be it friendly or romantically) at all. Like I said above, Ateneo has a lot of cliques. I'm sure that if looked, he would have found that one group. Most people do. No one's required to be "hot enough". That's a load of bull. I'm friends with cheerleaders, babble members, sports managers, as well as a part of the korean culture group, bio group, and japanese culture group. Honestly, it's not as bad as what your friend is implying.
    honestly, i, myself, don't know why he thinks that way either

    when he joined our school bus five years ago, he was extremely social and very open to new friendships; and he was, and is, very, very friendly

    but besides him, thanks for clarifying the community situation at ateneo; i just hope i find a clique willing enough to have someone like me, because if my friend failed at it, i don't know how it's going to be for me
  • thophson wrote: »
    honestly, i, myself, don't know why he thinks that way either

    when he joined our school bus five years ago, he was extremely social and very open to new friendships; and he was, and is, very, very friendly

    but besides him, thanks for clarifying the community situation at ateneo; i just hope i find a clique willing enough to have someone like me, because if my friend failed at it, i don't know how it's going to be for me

    We're very open to everyone :)
    A lot of people may have a "biotch face" but that's just because of the stress haha

    EDIT: Forgot that curse words aren't allowed
  • Luc_wind wrote: »
    We're very open to everyone :)
    A lot of people may have a "biotch face" but that's just because of the stress haha

    EDIT: Forgot that curse words aren't allowed
    thanks for that
  • 1) Ateneo's kinda elitist, but not everyone there is elitist naman. You just have to find the right circle of friends? Hahaha.
    2) Even if you don't join an org, as long as you're not completely shutting yourself out, you'll find a group. Madaming friendly sa Ateneo.
  • zugunruhe wrote: »
    1) Ateneo's kinda elitist, but not everyone there is elitist naman. You just have to find the right circle of friends? Hahaha.

    What makes you say that it's kinda elitist? Like do they do certain stuff that makes them "above" others? Cause we may have different interpretation of elitist.
  • What makes you say that it's kinda elitist? Like do they do certain stuff that makes them "above" others? Cause we may have different interpretation of elitist.

    Yes. I mean, as everyone has said, it's not a large majority of people or anything, but there are some who are like that (and it's not exclusive to Ateneo nor is it solely about money either) You may possibly run into these people inside the university, but just stay away and you're good imo.
Sign In or Register to comment.