Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

2015 Australian Open

mykel14mykel14 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
HAPPY NEW YEAR, TENNIS FANS! :bounce: :blow:

Comments

• mykel14mykel14 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The entire Australian Open tournament could now be played indoors, with the completion of a third retractable roof at Melbourne Park.

The retractable roof on the Margaret Court Arena will allow matches to continue even in the extreme heat that riled players and forced the suspension of matches in 2014.

The addition of the world's fastest retractable roof - it can open or close in five minutes - means there is no need for play to stop, rain, hail or shine.

Full article here.
  • Expelliarmus_27Expelliarmus_27 Moderator PEx Moderator
    Thanks for the thread, Myk! :wave:

Happy New Year tennis fanatics!

Welcome to the first grand slam of the year!

Get your psychic skills ready.... It's Fantasy League once again! :bounce:

DEFENDING CHAMPIONS

MEN'S SINGLES CHAMPION - STANISLAS WAWRINKA
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]b_final_day14_25.jpg[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

WOMEN'S SINGLES CHAMPION - LI NA
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]AP18317100878_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

MEN'S DOUBLES CHAMPIONS - Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]h_50988963.jpg&cat=971&pid=96877&cache=true[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

WOMEN'S DOUBLES CHAMPIONS - Italians Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]b_errani_day12_03.jpg[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

MIXED DOUBLES CHAMPIONS - French Kristina Mladenovic and Canadian Daniel Nestor
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]b_nestor_day14_02.jpg[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

FANTASY LEAGUE CHAMPION
    ik8g.png
    The Pinoyexchange Tennis Fantasy League World Rankings

Lv3Dz28.png

Click here for full view

lr35we8.jpg
    Australian Open 2014 - Top 10 Scorers

v4dr.png

The Australian Open Fantasy League Roster of Champions and Hosts

AO-trophies.jpg

Australian Open 2006 - bryan_wafu (monsterboy)
    Australian Open 2007 - monsterboy, cee, 22mai (monsterboy)
    Australian Open 2008 - Ashlars (swimbod21)
    Australian Open 2009 - hanskyut (monsterboy)
    Australian Open 2010 - _GiGs (Feodore_Knox)
    Australian Open 2011 - carlhiro (carlhiro and letran_j)
    Australian Open 2012 - pusangkalye (Feodore_Knox and mrazmaniac)
    Australian Open 2013 - mrazmaniac (mykel14 and letran_j)
    Australian Open 2014 - sweet_ryan (Expelliarmus_27)
    [highlight]Brisbane International, Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
    Defending Champion: Serena Williams[/highlight]

largeimage_734.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Maria Sharapova
    2. Ana Ivanovic
    3. Angelique Kerber
    4. Dominika Cibulkov?\
    5. Andrea Petkovic
    6. Jelena Janković
    7. Carla Su?rez Navarro
    8. Garbi?e Muguruza

[highlight]Shenzhen Open, Shenzhen, CHINA
    Defending Champion: Li Na[/highlight]

largeimage_1063.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Simona Halep
    2. Petra Kvitov?\
    3. Peng Shuai
    4. Zarina Diyas
    5. Kl?ra Koukalov? (First Round)
    6. Irina-Camelia Begu
    7. Monica Niculescu
    8. Timea Bacsinszky

[highlight]ASB Classic, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
    Defending Champion: Ana Ivanovic[/highlight]

largeimage_1049.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Caroline Wozniacki
    2. Sara Errani
    3. Venus Williams
    4. Barbora Z?hlavov?-Str?cov?\
    5. Svetlana Kuznetsova
    6. Sloane Stephens
    7. Coco Vandeweghe
    8. Mona Barthel
    [highlight]Qatar ExxonMobil Open, Doha, Qatar
    Defending Champion: Rafael Nadal[/highlight]

17736FA2A3C848BB9977D891D856D8C5.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Novak Djokovic
    2. Rafael Nadal
    3. Tom?? Berdych
    4. David Ferrer
    5. Philipp Kohlschreiber
    6. Richard Gasquet
    7. Ivo Karlović
    8. Leonardo Mayer

[highlight]Brisbane International, Brisbane, Australia
    Defending Champion: Lleyton Hewitt[/highlight]

C3176C8A97324F5588985A7DE59BC0E1.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Roger Federer
    2. Kei Nishikori
    3. Milos Raonic
    4. Grigor Dimitrov
    5. Kevin Anderson
    6. Gilles Simon
    7. Alexandr Dolgopolov
    8. Julien Benneteau

[highlight]Aircel Chennai Open, Chennai, India
    Defending Champion: Stanislas Wawrinka[/highlight]

7C9615813AE34C3098958035DBB70D31.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Stan Wawrinka
    2. Feliciano L?pez
    3. Roberto Bautista Agut
    4. David Goffin
    5. Guillermo Garc?a-L?pez
    6. Lu Yen-hsun
    7. Marcel Granollers
    8. Gilles M?ller
    [highlight]DEFENDING CHAMPION - FRANCE (Alize Cornet and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga)[/highlight]

GROUP A
    1. CANADA - Eugenie Bouchard and Vasek Pospisil
    2. CZECH REPUBLIC - Lucie Safarova and Adam Pavlasek
    3. ITALY - Flavia Pennetta and Fabio Fognini
    4. UNITED STATES - Serena Williams and John Isner

GROUP B
    1. AUSTRALIA - Casey Dellacqua and Matthew Ebden
    2. FRANCE - Alize Cornet and Benoit Paire
    3. GREAT BRITAIN - Heather Watson and Andy Murray
    4. POLAND - Agnieszka Radwanska and Jerzy Janowicz
    635564827121912862-EPA-AUSTRALIA-TENNIS-BRISBANE-INTERNATIONAL.jpglargeimage_734.jpg

Champion: Maria Sharapova
    Runnerup: Ana Ivanovic
    Semifinalists: Elina Svitolina, Varvara Lepchenko
    Quarterfinalists: Carla Suarez Navarro, Angelique Kerber, Alla Kudryatseva, Kaia Kanepi

BRISBANE, Australia - It was one of the closest rivalries of 2014 - Maria Sharapova against Ana Ivanovic - and the 2015 edition of that rivalry kicked off in the final of the Premier-level Brisbane International on Saturday night, with Sharapova rallying from a set down to come out on top.

Sharapova and Ivanovic split their four meetings last year, with Sharapova winning in Stuttgart and Beijing and Ivanovic prevailing in Rome and Cincinnati. They knew this one would be tough too.

"We always go in and compete. We don't give up until the end. I think that's what makes our matches so great," Sharapova said going into the match. "I look forward to another good match here."

And another good match it was. The first set alone lasted more than an hour, 62 minutes to be exact, with Sharapova jumping out to a 4-1 lead and even bringing up two set points at 5-4, but the No.2-seeded Ivanovic hanging on every time and eventually sneaking the set out in a tie-break.

But the No.1-seeded Sharapova didn't get down on herself, getting early breaks in the next two sets and never letting go, eventually prevailing in two hours and 38 minutes, 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-3.

"She had some great comebacks. She got back the balls that I thought weren't coming over the net," Ivanovic said. "That's why she's where she is, and that's why she's such a great champion."

"She was doing a lot of things better in the first set, and she deserved to win the first set, but I hung in there," Sharapova said in her post-match press conference. "It was important to get that break, and the third set came down to a few points, really. I'm just happy that I managed to get it in three."

Sharapova now has 34 WTA titles to her name, but even more special is that this is just her second time winning a WTA title in Australia - the first was, of course, the Australian Open in 2008.

The World No.2 has also now won at least one WTA title every year since 2003.

Additionally, Sharapova's creeping closer and closer to changing that World No.2 to a World No.1 - with this win she's going to move within just 681 points of the current No.1, Serena Williams. With so many points up for grabs at the Australian Open, there could be some major drama ahead.
    0,,12781~13402152,00.jpglargeimage_1063.jpg

Champion: Simona Halep
    Runnerup: Timea Baczinsky
    Semifinalists: Petra Kvitova, Zheng Saisai
    Quarterfinalists: Aleksandra Krunic, Zarina Diyas, Vera Zvonareva, Teresa Smitkova

SHENZHEN, China - The week didn't start out so smoothly, but by the end it was plain sailing - Simona Halep ended the Cinderella run of Timea Bacsinszky in straight sets on Saturday afternoon to win her ninth WTA title and put herself among the favorites for the upcoming Australian Open.

Halep almost didn't make it out of her first match in Shenzhen - WTA Rising Star Annika Beck had her on the ropes, winning the first set, twice going up a break in the second set and, after letting that second set slip, even going up a break in the third. Halep survived, however, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

And she only gathered steam from there. The No.1-seeded Halep never dropped another set, including in Saturday's final, where she held all eight of her service games - never facing a break point - and getting four breaks of her own to beat the No.8-seeded Bacsinszky in 62 minutes, 6-2, 6-2.

"I wasn't feeling very well before the match - I was a little bit sick - so I told myself I have nothing to lose, just go on court, be relaxed, stay focused and fight for every point," Halep explained.

"It worked, and I felt really relaxed today. I'm happy I could play better day by day and match by match here. I'm looking forward to playing like today in the next tournament, maybe even better."

Li Na, who won the first two Shenzhen Opens in 2013 and 2014, made the Australian Open final both years - finishing runner-up to Victoria Azarenka the first year then winning the title last year.

Halep was asked in her post-match press conference if she feels she can keep the pattern going.

"It's tough to answer that question. You never know what will happen day by day," Halep said.

"But I don't want to put any pressure on myself for the Australian Open. I have to be focused there, and I hope to win many matches there, but it'll be tough. I'll just try to do everything I did here."

Halep now has nine WTA titles to her name, winning six in 2013 (Nürnberg, 's-Hertogenbosch, Budapest, New Haven, Moscow and Sofia), two in 2014 (Doha and Bucharest) and now one in 2015.

Despite coming up one win short on Saturday, it was still a dream week for Bacsinszky. Not only did she reach her first WTA final since 2010, but in the semifinals she beat No.4-ranked Petra Kvitova, the equal-biggest win of her career (she beat a No.4-ranked Maria Sharapova in Wuhan last fall).
    0,,12781~13402069,00.jpglargeimage_1049.jpg

Champion: Venus Williams
    Runnerup: Caroline Wozniacki
    Semifinalists: Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova, Lauren Davis
    Quarterfinalists: Julia Goerges, Coco Vandeweghe, Elena Vesnina, Urzsula Radwanska

AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Venus Williams captured her 46th WTA title on Saturday, battling past Caroline Wozniacki in three sets in a dream final between former No.1s at the ASB Classic.

Williams had never lost a set in five previous meetings with Wozniacki, but that went out the window straight away, as the No.1-seeded Dane cruised through the opening frame in 31 minutes, 6-2.

She even broke in the opening game of the second set - but the No.3-seeded Williams just kept fighting, breaking back and eventually taking the second set, and finally the match too, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.

It was Williams' 46th WTA title, second among active players only to Serena Williams' 64.

"The first set went fast," Williams said after the match. "After that I was like, 'All right, time to take it to three.' But of course with her playing that well, I had to find a way just to get it to three.

"In the first set she was serving so well. She had an amazing first serve percentage, all those amazing passing shots, even her mis-hits were too good. But I just tried to stay level-headed in the second set and focus on holding, and cut down on my unforced errors too, and it worked for me today."

"Venus played really well. She's had a great week," Wozniacki said. "I served really well at the start, and I was putting a lot of pressure on her, but she played better and better as the match went on."

Williams, a runner-up to Ana Ivanovic last year, was asked whether she'll replace the 2014 runner-up trophy in her cabinet with this one. "That might not be a bad idea!" she replied. "It's a beautiful trophy. It's a wonderful way to start the year. Last year I started the year with the finals and went to play a few more finals in the year and had a great year, so I'd like to take it that much further this year as well."
    tennis4.jpg?resize=520%2C34817736FA2A3C848BB9977D891D856D8C5.ashx

Champion: David Ferrer
    Runnerup: Tomas Berdych
    Semifinalists: Ivo Karlovic, Andreas Seppi
    Quarterfinalists: Novak Djokovic, Dustin Brown, Richard Gasquet, Ivan Dodig

David Ferrer got his 2015 ATP World Tour season underway in strong fashion, capping the opening week with his maiden Qatar ExxonMobil Open title.

"I'm very happy," said Ferrer on court following the match. "I put in hard work this preseason. It's special winning this tournament. I was ready to play tonight's match against Berdych - a Top 10 player."

The Spaniard claimed his first crown under new coach Francisco Fogues as he denied Tomas Berdych 6-4, 7-5 on Saturday in Doha. Ferrer leaves the Qatari capital with his 22nd tour-level trophy and first since triumphing in Buenos Aires last year. He takes home $195,000 in prize money and 250 Emirates ATP Rankings points, improving his FedEx ATP Head2Head edge over Berdych to 8-5.

"I'm happy because it is never easy to begin the season winning a tournament," added Ferrer. "I won the tournament playing good tennis."

Ferrer found his groove from the onset, surging to a double break lead in the first set. The Javea native would dig deep to secure the opener, after Berdych grabbed one break back for 4-2 and pressed to level the set with two break points when Ferrer served for it at 5-4.

After exchanging breaks to open the second set, they remained on serve until the 11th game when the 32 year old snatched the decisive break for 6-5. Berdych was unable to convert on a trio of set points a game prior. With football legend David Beckham in attendance, Ferrer closed out the match to love.

The 5'9" right-hander fired 15 winners, claiming 71 per cent of first serve points and saving six of eight break points faced. He is the second consecutive Spanish champion in Doha after World No. 3 Rafael Nadal emerged victorious in 2014.

Berdych, meanwhile, was seeking his 11th ATP World Tour title after dropping a mere 16 games en route to the final. He earned $102,675 and 150 Emirates ATP Rankings points for his efforts.

"First of all, it's a disappointment to lose the final," reflected Berdych. "But on the other hand, it's been a very solid week. It's been a couple of good matches. I was not able to execute the right way (today), but I think it's a good start for me."
    Roger-Federer-Brisbane-International-20150111-21493393-660x500.jpgC3176C8A97324F5588985A7DE59BC0E1.ashx

Champion: Roger Federer
    Runnerup: Milos Raonic
    Semifinalists: Grigor Dmitrov, Kei Nishikori
    Quarterfinalists: James Duckworth, Martin Klizan, Sam Groth, Bernard Tomic

Roger Federer claimed his 1000th match win on Sunday as he defeated Milos Raonic 6-4, 6-7(2), 6-4 in the final of the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp.

The 33-year-old Federer is just the third player in the Open Era to achieve the feat, joining Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl. His milestone was celebrated on court after the match by Rod Laver and Roy Emerson.

"It's a special moment, no doubt about it," said Federer upon receiving a commemorative award from Laver. "I've played a lot of tennis over the years, so to get to 1000 wins tonight really means a lot to me. I'll never forget this match."

Congratulate Roger using [#]Roger1000[/#]

"It's a little bit tough standing here, in front of so many Grand Slam champions; it's an honour," said Raonic in the on-court ceremony. "We all know today was a significant milestone for Roger. When we were warming up, I heard all those titles; I honestly thought he was playing for 2000 match wins today! I think he needs to step it up!"

Federer extended his lead over Raonic to 8-1 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series as he captured his 83rd title in his 125th tour-level final. The Basel native has won at least one ATP World Tour title each year since 2001.

Federer hit 15 winners to just three unforced errors in an impressive opening set. He broke Raonic in the third game, out-maneuvering the Canadian on the baseline. The Swiss carried his momentum into the second set as he quickly opened up a 2-0 lead, courtesy of a double fault from Raonic.

But the Toronto native fought back. With Federer up 30/0 on serve at 2-1, Raonic reeled off eight straight points to get back in contention and lead 3-2. In the eventual tie-break, Raonic won seven successive points from 0-2 down to level the match, clinching the tie-break with an unreturned serve.

In an enthralling final set, Federer saved five break points and Raonic saved four before succumbing in the 10th game. A double fault handed Federer match point at 30/40 and he converted as Raonic’s forehand found the net in the following point.

"Looking back, it's almost nicer winning this way through a tight match with nerves and humid conditions against a great player in a final," said Federer. "It means so much more than just running away with it with the score maybe 6-4, 6-4, which was looking very likely at one stage. I guess I was much more happy having to go three sets in the end rather than winning in straight."

Federer had finished runner-up to Lleyton Hewitt in the Brisbane final one year earlier. He has an 83-42 record in tour-level finals.

The 24-year-old Raonic was bidding to win his seventh ATP World Tour title and dropped to a 6-8 mark in finals.

"It was a great tennis match. I stayed out there, competed, gave it my all," said Raonic. "I gave myself a chance after being down a set and a break. I think it just shows the development I've been able to make over the last little while. You put me in that same situation few months and weeks ago and I think I could be out of that stadium pretty quickly."
    67E4DA873F2E425DA9ABAE7C189A5105.ashx7C9615813AE34C3098958035DBB70D31.ashx

Champion: Stanislas Wawrinka
    Runnerup: Aljaž Bedene
    Semifinalists: David Goffin, Roberto Bautista-Agut
    Quarterfinalists: Gilles Muller, Andreas Haider-Maurer, Yen Hsun-Lu, Guillermo Garcia-Lopez

No. 1 seed Stan Wawrinka successfully defended his title at the Aircel Chennai Open, defeating qualifier Aljaz Bedene 6-3, 6-4 in one hour, nine minutes on Sunday.

In his seventh straight year in Chennai, the 29-year-old Swiss captured his third title at this ATP World Tour 250 hard court tournament (2011, ’14).

Along with his eighth ATP World Tour title, Wawrinka takes home $73,400 and 250 Emirates ATP Ranking points.

Wawrinka capitalised on a second break chance to go up 4-2 in the first set and went on to win the first set 6-3 in 30 minutes. The Swiss, who faced no break points during the final, needed just one break in the second set at 4-3 and one match point to win the title, without having dropped a set the entire tournament.

“It’s an amazing atmosphere,” Wawrinka said as he accepted his trophy. “It’s one of the reasons I come back every year. It was a great final. I’m really happy with my level.”

It was the first time in his career Wawrinka was able to repeat a title, and the Swiss is the first back-to-back winner in Chennai since Marin Cilic (2009-10).

After winning in Chennai last year, Wawrinka went on to claim his first Grand Slam in Melbourne and reached a personal-best No. 3 in the Emirates ATP Rankings on 27 January.

"I feel really happy," said Wawrinka. "It’s tough to win tournaments on the ATP Tour. I feel good, with more confidence [and] feeling well with my game. I’m happy with my game in general, but it’s just the beginning of the season and I hope I can play well all [of] the season."

Ranked No. 156 and in his first ATP World Tour final, Bedene was the first qualifier in the 20-year history of the tournament to reach the final, winning seven matches en route to the title match. In the main draw, the 25 year old defeated three Spanish players in succession - second seed Feliciano Lopez in the second round, fifth seed Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the quarter-finals, and third seed Roberto Bautista Agut in the semi-finals, where he saved four match points.

“It’s been a great week,” Bedene said on court after the match. “I guess the hard work pays off. It’s been my favourite tournament now for the third year and I’m looking forward to coming back next year. Well done to Stan. He played amazing today.”

As runner-up, the Slovenian took home $38,650 and 150 Emirates ATP Ranking points.

“I don’t want to stop here," Bedene said on reaching his first ATP World Tour final. "I just want to raise my level to the level of Stan’s game.”
    6010778-3x2-700x467.jpgHopman.jpg

Champion: POLAND - Agnieszka Radwanka and Jerzy Janowicz
    Runnerup: USA - Serena Williams and John Isner

Poland went ahead 1-0 after Agnieszka Radwanska shocked 18-time major champion Williams 6-4, 6-7 (7-3), 6-1 in front of 10,867 fans at Perth Arena.

Isner ensured the top seeds stayed alive with a 7-6 (12-10), 6-4 win over Jerzy Janowicz, but Poland prevailed 7-5, 6-3 in the deciding mixed doubles to snare their maiden Hopman Cup crown.

The mixed doubles was not without controversy.

With the US 2-1 down in the second set and staring at defeat, a point had to be replayed after Janowicz prematurely celebrated after he thought both Isner and Williams had struck the ball.

Williams believed the US should have been awarded the point due to Janowicz's distraction and a five-minute argument involving all four players, the chair umpire and the ITF referee ensued.

The Americans ended up winning the replay, but a few games later Williams twice smashed her racquet on the court after missing a simple backhand.

Radwanska leapt into the arms of Janowicz once the pair secured the Cup.

Williams, a two-time Hopman Cup champion, entered her singles match having won all of her previous eight contests against Radwanska.

Such was the dominance, Radwanska had only ever won one set against the American - in the 2012 Wimbledon final.

But Radwanska came out with all guns blazing in Perth, the world number five even serving for the match in the second set.

Williams broke back before winning the second-set tiebreak, but Radwanska came up with the goods when it mattered most in the third to secure the win in 125 minutes.

Radwanska was part of the Polish team that lost last summer's Hopman Cup final to France and she would have been feeling a sense of deja vu after watching Janowicz falter.

The 203cm giant blew five set points in the first-set tiebreak, with Isner cruising to victory from that point on.

But the Polish pair produced the goods when it mattered most.

"It was one misunderstanding," Radwanska said of the mixed-doubles controversy.

"But oh well, the most important thing is we won.

"The title means a lot for us.

"I remember last year like it was a week ago. We lost the final in the mixed doubles, so I really wanted to win this one."

Williams said she enjoyed the tournament despite failing to come away with the title.

"Thank you John, you really held me up and gave us a chance in the final. Sorry I couldn't help you out," Williams said.
    [highlight]Apia International Sydney, Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Defending Champion: Tsvetana Pironkova[/highlight]

largeimage_636.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Simona Halep
    2. Petra Kvitov?\
    3. Agnieszka Radwańska
    4. Caroline Wozniacki
    5. Angelique Kerber
    6. Ekaterina Makarova
    7. Dominika Cibulkov?\
    8. Flavia Pennetta

[highlight]Hobart International, Hobart, AUSTRALIA
    Defending Champion: Garbine Muguruza[/highlight]

largeimage_1050.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Casey Dellacqua
    2. Zarina Diyas
    3. Camila Giorgi
    4. Varvara Lepchenko (Withdrew)
    5. Sloane Stephens
    6. Kl?ra Koukalov?\
    7. Mona Barthel
    8. Alison Riske
    9. Roberta Vinci
    [highlight]Heineken Open Auckland, New Zealand
    Defending Champion: John Isner[/highlight]

B8CC21D836F044AD8DC18E234CF64086.ashx

Seeds:
    1. David Ferrer (Withdrew)
    2. Ernests Gulbis
    3. Roberto Bautista Agut
    4. Kevin Anderson
    5. Tommy Robredo
    6. Santiago Giraldo
    7. Guillermo Garc?a-L?pez
    8. Steve Johnson

[highlight]Apia International Sydney, Sydney, Australia
    Defending Champion: Juan Martin del Potro[/highlight]

24D198BE257E4DA08221ED4B87144D01.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Fabio Fognini
    2. David Goffin
    3. Philipp Kohlschreiber
    4. Julien Benneteau
    5. Leonardo Mayer
    6. Pablo Cuevas
    7. J?r?my Chardy
    8. Martin Kli?an
    75418D4FBAC64156931C1F9734150E15.ashx

World No. 9 Marin Cilic has been forced to withdraw from the Australian Open due to a shoulder injury.

The reigning US Open champion made his Grand Slam breakthrough at Melbourne Park in 2010 when he stormed to the semi-finals (l. to Murray). Cilic, who also withdrew from this week's Brisbane International presented by Suncorp, was set to launch his 2015 season Down Under but could not regain his fitness in time.

"I am really disappointed to announce that I had to withdraw from the Australian Open," Cilic announced on his website. "It is a right shoulder injury, that hampers me for some time now and forced me to withdraw from the ATP World Tour event in Brisbane. It is improving day by day, but I still don't feel fit enough to be able to compete at the highest level.

"I am really sad that I won't be able to participate in Melbourne, especially after winning the last Grand Slam in New York, but I was advised by doctors to be careful as much as possible to avoid even more serious problems.

"I have received lots of support letters from my fans worldwide lately and I am grateful for your support and best wishes. I was really looking forward to being back on court in Australia and now I hope we will meet very soon in Zagreb."

Cilic’s withdrawal opens the door for British No. 2 James Ward, who enters the main draw. The Croat joins Tommy Haas, Jack Sock, Radek Stepanek, Janko Tipsarevic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga as players who have pulled out of the first Grand Slam of the year.
    2479509200000578-2900215-image-a-70_1420625253822.jpg

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has pulled out of the Australian Open with a persistent arm injury.
    The 29-year-old Frenchman, who also withdrew from this week's Hopman Cup with the same complaint, confirmed on Twitter that the start of his season will be delayed.

He described the latest blow as a 'big disappointment' and posted a picture of his right arm, complete with a brace stretching from the base of his hand to the middle of his forearm.

The two-time Wimbledon semi-finalist struggled with the injury during France's Davis Cup final defeat to Switzerland in November and is hoping the extra rest will help him make a complete recovery.

'I'm still suffering from a forearm inflammation (intersection syndrome) and that prevents me being at 100 per cent of my capacities in a competition,' Tsonga said on his official website.

'Then I'm going to receive over 3 weeks all the needed treatments to be able to be back on track in the best conditions.'

Tsonga was only able to contest one rubber during the Davis Cup final but still chose to play in the inaugural International Premier Tennis League.

That decision will now come under renewed scrutiny while US Open champion Marin Cilic, another player who went into the IPTL carrying an injury, is also a major doubt for the season's first grand slam.
  • artalm_2604artalm_2604 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Happy New Year Tennis fans!

New year, new FL! *okay*

Excited for the Australian Open. ;)
  • L0rd_xer0L0rd_xer0 Queen Mezziaz Hardenned PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    im back.. time to win this crown. hahaha! i have an awful 2014 campaign sa FL.. looking forward this year.. career slam. tsarot