Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

How to Deal with Succeeding Job Applications After Not Being Regularized

b1990b1990 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
Hello PEXers!

I am having a problem with my job application right now. Here is the deal: Hindi ako na-regular sa previous employment ko (which ended October this year).

After that setback, siempre I went back to look for another job. Fortunate enough naman ako because I was still able to land a couple of interviews after that. Siempre kapag tinatanong nila ako bakit maiksi lang yung time ko with my former employer, siempre I have no choice but to tell the truth and the reasons they gave me (which are pretty petty).

I think recruitment people get turned-off by this and hindi na ako nakakaproceed sa sususnod na process.

Ang question ko (especially to people who hire people) is, do I stick with telling the truth in my interviews? Should I say something else? Ang alam ko kasi, nacheheck ng company if I told them the truth on why I left my previous employer.

Alam ko mahirap at nakakademoralize ang ganitong sitwasyon. I do not know if yung mga naginterview sa akin happened not too have an open-mind with my situation.

Any help or advice regarding my situation would be much appreciated.

Good day and Merry Christmas na lang! TIA :)

Comments

• Sun_SetSun_Set PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Companies don't normally inform inquiring companies why employees left their company. Not unless mabigat yung kaso ng employee kaya natanggal. They will just inform inquiring employers na employed ka sa dating company.

There's no need to tell companies na di ka na-regular. Just come up with a valid reason why you left the company for a very short period of time.
  • b1990b1990 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sun_Set wrote: »
    Companies don't normally inform inquiring companies why employees left their company. Not unless mabigat yung kaso ng employee kaya natanggal. They will just inform inquiring employers na employed ka sa dating company.

There's no need to tell companies na di ka na-regular. Just come up with a valid reason why you left the company for a very short period of time.

Hi Sir/Ma'am

Having said that what would be a valid reason why someone would leave a company so early?

Thank you for responding. :)
  • tama sya TS, tsaka before you went away naman siguro eh nagkagentlemen's agreement kayo ng employer na you will go with a clean slate, meaning you can start over again without worrying about the issues that you've had, granted that you will quietly leave the company without causing any ruckus, so I guess they will just say dun sa mga inaapplyan mo na nagresign ka lang nga instead of fired. This was the case of my colleagues/friends which were fired some time ago.

Regarding the reasons though, you can say that you need to some time to re-assess yourself and you found out that this upcoming job, which you are applying to, might be that "perfect fit" that were looking for.
    Here are some of the reasons shared by other Pexers.

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627215
    Additional details po pala. Currently jobless na ako. Two weeks na lang kasi, mareregular na dapat ako. Walang signs na ipinakita na hindi ako mareregular. Would my current jobless status hurt my chance of landing another job?

Would also like to know what information is usually asked by a new employer over its former employer? Lalo na sa immediate superior?

Do these people really ask my immediate superior why I left or magtatanong lang if I really worked there and how was my performance during my stay there?

TIA again sa mga responses niyo! :)
  • b1990 wrote: »
    Additional details po pala. Currently jobless na ako. Two weeks na lang kasi, mareregular na dapat ako. Walang signs na ipinakita na hindi ako mareregular. Would my current jobless status hurt my chance of landing another job?

Would also like to know what information is usually asked by a new employer over its former employer? Lalo na sa immediate superior?

Do these people really ask my immediate superior why I left or magtatanong lang if I really worked there and how was my performance during my stay there?

TIA again sa mga responses niyo! :)

of course TS, it will certainly affect your current application, hindi lang naman sa case mo nagiging ganyan ang mga hiring manager tsaka mga hr, whoever the person is, whatever their background and circumstances, lahat ng yan jinajudge nila, though magaling lang talaga silang magmask ng mga prejudice nila. ngayon, ang fallback mo lang eh kung pano mo dadalin ang sarili mo sa interview.

I don't know though if authorized silang kontakin ang immediate superiors mo, kasi minsan nabablock palang ang mga tawag nila sa reception due to risk of social engineering.
    So my question now is, does telling the while truth in my case would really hurt my chance of landing a new job?

I mean, I can say a reason that is not that far from what happened without really spilling what really happened to me?
    b1990 wrote: »
    So my question now is, does telling the while truth in my case would really hurt my chance of landing a new job?

I mean, I can say a reason that is not that far from what happened without really spilling what really happened to me?

YES! Hiring personnel is on the look out for bad eggs and they will not allow them to join their companies and become their problem. The Philippine labor law is leaning towards the employees and it will be difficult to just immediately dismiss an employee without proper documentation.

Harsh words??? This is the reality of working life.

I recently joined a company wherein there is a non-performer. HR told me that I cannot just let the person go without documenting her non-performance.

If I have my way, this person will not be hired at all. Unfortunately, managers before me just want to hire anybody who applied. So I'm left with the headache.

Back to your concern. If you disclose that you were not regularize, the next words you will utter will fall to deaf ears. Kahit gaano pa kaganda explanation mo, hindi na yan naririnig ng interviewer. What stick is that this person was not regularize and most likely may problem siya. Not unless sobrang ganda ng credentials mo and you were not regularize by a well known multinational company, baka may chance ka pa.

To save you from all this trouble, just don't disclose that you were not regularize, di ka naman nagsisinungaling kasi di mo naman declare na na-regular ka. This is omission and not a lie. Pag tinanong ka, then aminin mo na di ka na regular.

Why you left the company that early? Only you can think of a believable reason.

If you're a fresh grad, you can say, I just realize that my last work is not what I'm looking for, then expound on what you are looking for. Make sure that you are not applying to the same type of company, kasi huli ka na agad.

Be creative. Research more. In short, do your homework before the interview.
    Sun_Set wrote: »
    YES! Hiring personnel is on the look out for bad eggs and they will not allow them to join their companies and become their problem. The Philippine labor law is leaning towards the employees and it will be difficult to just immediately dismiss an employee without proper documentation.

Harsh words??? This is the reality of working life.

I recently joined a company wherein there is a non-performer. HR told me that I cannot just let the person go without documenting her non-performance.

If I have my way, this person will not be hired at all. Unfortunately, managers before me just want to hire anybody who applied. So I'm left with the headache.

Back to your concern. If you disclose that you were not regularize, the next words you will utter will fall to deaf ears. Kahit gaano pa kaganda explanation mo, hindi na yan naririnig ng interviewer. What stick is that this person was not regularize and most likely may problem siya. Not unless sobrang ganda ng credentials mo and you were not regularize by a well known multinational company, baka may chance ka pa.

To save you from all this trouble, just don't disclose that you were not regularize, di ka naman nagsisinungaling kasi di mo naman declare na na-regular ka. This is omission and not a lie. Pag tinanong ka, then aminin mo na di ka na regular.

Why you left the company that early? Only you can think of a believable reason.

If you're a fresh grad, you can say, I just realize that my last work is not what I'm looking for, then expound on what you are looking for. Make sure that you are not applying to the same type of company, kasi huli ka na agad.

Be creative. Research more. In short, do your homework before the interview.

Thank you for the inputs you have given sir. This is actually my third work na kaya medyo hirap. Nevertheless, your words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Actually totoo din yung sinabi niyo. I came from a well-known, multi-national company. Even if that was the case, parang "oh okay, he was not regularized...next" ang dating. :(
  • m515m515 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Assess, weigh and move forward. First disclose if you wish the petty reasons you were not regularized. Second, list down all your contributions and successes that you have done.
    What went wrong, what were your learnings? How would you do it differently knowing those learnings? Do not get stuck! How do you move forward? Lastly, how do you communicate and package yourself with the next level in mind.
    m515 wrote: »
    Assess, weigh and move forward. First disclose if you wish the petty reasons you were not regularized. Second, list down all your contributions and successes that you have done.
    What went wrong, what were your learnings? How would you do it differently knowing those learnings? Do not get stuck! How do you move forward? Lastly, how do you communicate and package yourself with the next level in mind.

I guess, that's the problem. "selling" and "marketing" myself. All of you guys are correct: There is no use in crying over spilled milk.

It's really "packaging this experience" to my advantage that makes it difficult for me over my past interviews.
  • m515m515 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    List your competency. Discover your strengths. Recall the situations and challenges that you overcome. Focus on them rather than your weaknesses. These are what you project. Do not get stuck!