FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Emperor Constantine as a Religious Figure

In this thread, we will discuss Emperor Constantine's religious life.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Is Emperor Constantine a Roman Catholic Church (RCC) member?
2. Was he baptized as a Roman Catholic Church member?
3. What is his role as an Emperor inside Roman Catholic Church structure?
4. Do you consider him as a person of God?
5. Why and why not?

Please number your answers. :)

Comments

• TotnakTotnak Theistic Apologist ✭✭✭
    Neil1984 wrote: »
    In this thread, we will discuss Emperor Constantine's religious life.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Is Emperor Constantine a Roman Catholic Church (RCC) member?
    2. Was he baptized as a Roman Catholic Church member?
    3. What is his role as an Emperor inside Roman Catholic Church structure?
    4. Do you consider him as a person of God?
    5. Why and why not?

Please number your answers. :)

the premise of your above questions is clearly misplaced.....you see, you are so enamored in smearing the Catholic Church that you specifically refer to us as simply the Roman Catholic Church....do you even know that the term Roman Catholic in itself is a derogatory term used by the Reformists after the East-West Schism?

I won't answer your questions unless of course if you'll change the term to the rightful one which is "The Catholic Church"....
  • Neil1984Neil1984 Member PExer
    Totnak wrote: »
    the premise of your above questions is clearly misplaced.....you see, you are so enamored in smearing the Catholic Church that you specifically refer to us as simply the Roman Catholic Church....do you even know that the term Roman Catholic in itself is a derogatory term used by the Reformists after the East-West Schism?

I won't answer your questions unless of course if you'll change the term to the rightful one which is "The Catholic Church"....

It seems the gentleman doesn't want me to use Roman Catholic Church as the religious denomination. Catholic Church is a broad collection of different religious sect which all claim succession from the Apostles.

It would be misleading if I use the broad term Catholic Church as there are different perceptions on the religious value of Emperor Constantine in their respective groups.

Since this is a Roman Catholic Church dominated country, it would be best for others who do not know Emperor Constantine and if he had any religious value to the Roman Catholic Church structure.
    It seems the gentleman doesn't want me to use Roman Catholic Church as the religious denomination. Catholic Church is a broad collection of different religious sect which all claim succession from the Apostles.

It would be misleading if I use the broad term Catholic Church as there are different perceptions on the religious value of Emperor Constantine in their respective groups.

Since this is a Roman Catholic Church dominated country, it would be best for others who do not know Emperor Constantine and if he had any religious value to the Roman Catholic Church structure.

sorry but there is only one Catholic church in history divided into two rites: the EAST and the WEST......nothing more.....Constantine's edict encompasses the existing Catholic Church of that time and that happened long before the schism between the EAST and the WEST......so what you are doing is entirely misleading since Constantine's reign happened before the schism......
    sorry but there is only one Catholic church in history divided into two rites: the EAST and the WEST......nothing more.....Constantine's edict encompasses the existing Catholic Church of that time and that happened long before the schism between the EAST and the WEST......so what you are doing is entirely misleading since Constantine's reign happened before the schism......

And this one Catholic Church during Constantine's reign would become the Roman Catholic Church or not?
    And this one Catholic Church during Constantine's reign would become the Roman Catholic Church or not?

again, the term Roman Catholic is a derogatory term and we refuse to be identified as such....we are The Catholic Church...
  • TLGTLG The Dark Knight PExer
    It's funny how an ex-catholic, studied in a catholic school, does not even know this fact. Guess all the facts he knew about the catholic church came when he became a brainwashed member of the INC.
  • TLG,

I have not heard a Catholic school who will delve into this details. What most Catholic schools will teach you is the cathechism and basic bible facts (OT = God, creation and propheths, NT = Jesus and salvation). I used to be a catholic school boy, all my knowledge here are the basic things I learned in school. Im sure the others will be interested in knowing more about Catholicism and other sects out there.

Going back to schism:

RCC = West
    Eastern Orthodox = East

Tama ba intindi ko, Totnak?
    <input wrote:
    TLG,

I have not heard a Catholic school who will delve into this details. What most Catholic schools will teach you is the cathechism and basic bible facts (OT = God, creation and propheths, NT = Jesus and salvation). I used to be a catholic school boy, all my knowledge here are the basic things I learned in school. Im sure the others will be interested in knowing more about Catholicism and other sects out there.

I mean the term "roman catholic church", I never went to a catholic school but am sure you will never hear "saint jude roman catholic school"! it's always "saint jude catholic school". Or just by reading the catechism, it never say "catechism of the roman catholic church", it says "catechism of the catholic church". Or by just reading the nicene creed, it says "And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church" walang roman dyan.

Before following a cult and leaving your former church, you should at least take the time to research the accusations of the cult against your former church! Eh pangalan pa lang sablay na ang kulto, obvious na pagpapasama lang ang gagawin sa dati mong relihiyon eh.
    <input wrote:

Going back to schism:

RCC = West
    Eastern Orthodox = East

Tama ba intindi ko, Totnak?

Catholic = West
    Orthodox = East
    TLG wrote: »
    I mean the term "roman catholic church", I never went to a catholic school but am sure you will never hear "saint jude roman catholic school"! it's always "saint jude catholic school". Or just by reading the catechism, it never say "catechism of the roman catholic church", it says "catechism of the catholic church". Or by just reading the nicene creed, it says "And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church" walang roman dyan.

Before following a cult and leaving your former church, you should at least take the time to research the accusations of the cult against your former church! Eh pangalan pa lang sablay na ang kulto, obvious na pagpapasama lang ang gagawin sa dati mong relihiyon eh.

Eto yung ayaw ko sayo. Dumedepensa na may halong tira. Necessary ba ang isang organization lagyan ng Roman word? Kahit nga INC named it New Era University, Quiboloy's educational institution is called Jose Maria College, etc.

Anyways, palpak ka na naman sa argument mo.

Eto names ng mga school bearing the Roman attached in some educational institutions.

Roman Catholic High School
    Rome Catholic School

Kaya kung titira ka, siguraduhin mo muna. As always :p
    @Totnak

So you are implying that this derogatory term attached to Catholic Church, which is Roman, is not recognized officially within the scope of your church administration?
    Eto yung ayaw ko sayo. Dumedepensa na may halong tira. Necessary ba ang isang organization lagyan ng Roman word? Kahit nga INC named it New Era University, Quiboloy's educational institution is called Jose Maria College, etc.

Anyways, palpak ka na naman sa argument mo.

Eto names ng mga school bearing the Roman attached in some educational institutions.

Roman Catholic High School
    Rome Catholic School

Kaya kung titira ka, siguraduhin mo muna. As always :p

OK so there are institution adding the term "roman", that is the prerogative of the founder of that institution, but the official name of the church is still the catholic church! one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church and as such you better start asking your question with the proper name of the church.

https://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb3.htm

The Creed which we recite on Sundays and holy days speaks of one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. As everybody knows, however, the Church referred to in this Creed is more commonly called just the Catholic Church. It is not, by the way, properly called the Roman Catholic Church, but simply the Catholic Church.

The term Roman Catholic is not used by the Church herself; it is a relatively modern term, and one, moreover, that is confined largely to the English language. The English-speaking bishops at the First Vatican Council in 1870, in fact, conducted a vigorous and successful campaign to insure that the term Roman Catholic was nowhere included in any of the Council's official documents about the Church herself, and the term was not included.
  • blackbolt44blackbolt44 Member PExer
    again, the term Roman Catholic is a derogatory term and we refuse to be identified as such....we are The Catholic Church...

If the term Roman Catholic is derogatory, then why did Pope John Paul II refer to himself as the head of the Roman Catholic Church in his letter to the President of Ireland in 1979?
    If the term Roman Catholic is derogatory, then why did Pope John Paul II refer to himself as the head of the Roman Catholic Church in his letter to the President of Ireland in 1979?

It depends on intended purpose of the user, I myself don't have a problem calling myself a roman catholic because it means I am in full communion with the bishop of rome. Catholic basher however have a different intention when calling us roman catholic, they are making it seemed as if the church belongs to the roman empire and not from christ, plus its origin was just invented by the anglicans who support the branch theory of the church.

"Today in an era of widespread dissent in the Church, and of equally widespread confusion regarding what authentic Catholic identity is supposed to consist of, many loyal Catholics have recently taken to using the term Roman Catholic in order to affirm their understanding that the Catholic Church of the Sunday creed is the same Church that is united with the Vicar of Christ in Rome, the Pope. This understanding of theirs is correct, but such Catholics should nevertheless beware of using the term, not only because of its dubious origins in Anglican circles intending to suggest that there just might be some other Catholic Church around somewhere besides the Roman one: but also because it often still is used today to suggest that the Roman Catholic Church is something other and lesser than the Catholic Church of the creed. It is commonly used by some dissenting theologians, for example, who appear to be attempting to categorize the Roman Catholic Church as just another contemporary "Christian denomination"--not the body that is identical with the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the creed."
  • JagonJagon Don't listen to me ✭✭✭

ok fine, the one Catholic church is not the Roman Catholic church. kalas.
    @Totnak

So you are implying that this derogatory term attached to Catholic Church, which is Roman, is not recognized officially within the scope of your church administration?

sweet :naughty:
    It depends on intended purpose of the user, I myself don't have a problem calling myself a roman catholic because it means I am in full communion with the bishop of rome. Catholic basher however have a different intention when calling us roman catholic, they are making it seemed as if the church belongs to the roman empire and not from christ, plus its origin was just invented by the anglicans who support the branch theory of the church.

"Today in an era of widespread dissent in the Church, and of equally widespread confusion regarding what authentic Catholic identity is supposed to consist of, many loyal Catholics have recently taken to using the term Roman Catholic in order to affirm their understanding that the Catholic Church of the Sunday creed is the same Church that is united with the Vicar of Christ in Rome, the Pope. This understanding of theirs is correct, but such Catholics should nevertheless beware of using the term, not only because of its dubious origins in Anglican circles intending to suggest that there just might be some other Catholic Church around somewhere besides the Roman one: but also because it often still is used today to suggest that the Roman Catholic Church is something other and lesser than the Catholic Church of the creed. It is commonly used by some dissenting theologians, for example, who appear to be attempting to categorize the Roman Catholic Church as just another contemporary "Christian denomination"--not the body that is identical with the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the creed."

The above bold phrase.

Roman Catholic Church is just one of Christian professing organization who traced back their succession to the Apostles.

This is the reason why it is necessary to identify what Catholic Church organization you belong. Whether you like it or not, there are indeed other Catholic Churches beside Roman Catholic Church.
    The above bold phrase.

Roman Catholic Church is just one of Christian professing organization who traced back their succession to the Apostles.

This is the reason why it is necessary to identify what Catholic Church organization you belong. Whether you like it or not, there are indeed other Catholic Churches beside Roman Catholic Church.

Geez.... context please not "word-search"! You have your cult's habit of searching for words and ignoring the context of the paragraph! Please do read the whole paragraph again, mahirap magpaliwanag sa [email protected]!

But just in case di mo pa din makuha kasi nga [email protected] ka, the writter gave an example on why we catholics should "beware of using the term roman catholic" because "It is commonly used by some dissenting theologians, for example, who appear to be attempting to categorize the Roman Catholic Church as just another contemporary "Christian denomination"--not the body that is identical with the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the creed."
    Geez.... context please not "word-search"! You have your cult's habit of searching for words and ignoring the context of the paragraph! Please do read the whole paragraph again, mahirap magpaliwanag sa [email protected]!

But just in case di mo pa din makuha kasi nga [email protected] ka, the writter gave an example on why we catholics should "beware of using the term roman catholic" because "It is commonly used by some dissenting theologians, for example, who appear to be attempting to categorize the Roman Catholic Church as just another contemporary "Christian denomination"--not the body that is identical with the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church of the creed."

Ikaw ata ang hindi nakaka-intindi. When a person says I am a Catholic. Does it absolutely mean Roman Catholic Church? Or it could mean other Catholic Church? Eastern Orthodox and even Anglicans call themselves Catholic but does not in any way partake on the communion with the Holy See.

Gets mo na? Or ayaw mo lang aminin na may mga tao na Catholic outside of Roman Catholic Church?
    Ikaw ata ang hindi nakaka-intindi.
    Nope, ikaw talaga ang may deperensiya! Mali lang talaga intndi mo dun sa paragraph and now you are making excuses :lol:

When a person says I am a Catholic. Does it absolutely mean Roman Catholic Church? Or it could mean other Catholic Church? Eastern Orthodox and even Anglicans call themselves Catholic but does not in any way partake on the communion with the Holy See.

Gets mo na? Or ayaw mo lang aminin na may mga tao na Catholic outside of Roman Catholic Church?

Millardo is an orthodox, and yes is a catholic he can call himself a catholic. We are in communion with the roman see and yes we are catholics, there may have been a schism and slight difference in belief but our churches traces their roots to the time of the apostles, kaya nga apostolic eh!
  • sophionsophion Member ✭✭

your church accepted that term for itself long ago. why complain now?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file