Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Can We claim our SeniorCitizens family members as Dependents for IncomeTax Purposes?

aseroasero PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Can We claim our SeniorCitizens family members as Dependents for IncomeTax Purposes?

We were taught in college that we can but why is this not a practice. That is an additional Php 50,000 deduction if one dependent and if both your parents are senior citizen, then that is Php 100,000 deduction which will translate to more than Php 20,000 savings.


  • joerizjoeriz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Philippines might allow claiming parents as dependent, but it will be wise checking with the nearest local office of the BIR in your area. It might save you a lot of prblems later pn
  • ArnoldZArnoldZ PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If Philippines allow claiming parents under the care of the children, only one of the children can claim the parent or parents as dependent.
    The parent must not be earning more than the minimum taxable amount as specified by the BIR.
    The BIR is more strict in verifying the status of the adult as dependent.claimed. If the flat rate of exemption is claimed the BIR might not be as strict but they will verify residency of at least more than 6 months at caregiver. If the adult is housed in a facility, proof of payments must be availble for verification.
    If you claim more than the allowed exemption, you must be able to support all the expenses you incurred in caring for your parent. Food can only be included in your itemization if the oarent is in special diet and you have to prepare food separate from what your family eat. Same as n in share of water, electricity. laundry and other provisions.
    Keep all receipts for medications, doctor visits and other medical attention/service to your parent that you paid for. In short all expenses that can be directly attributable to the dependent.
    The space/room that is occupied by the dependent might be added to claim only if there is proof that said space will earn that amount if rented to somebody else, otherwise no.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file