Why not DLSU???

If given the chance to answer this question: OF ALL SCHOOLS, Why not DLSU???

Possible Answers:

1. High Tuition Fee
2. School's Negative Impression (e.g. BOBO, Conio, etc.)
3. Uncomfortable Environment (rich people that surrounds u, etc.)
4. Poor Parking (this is such an INVALID REASON to give...:bungi: )

...so reasons?

[ just in case... ]
«13

Comments

  • 4MER_Pexer4MER_Pexer Moderated PExer
    Actually, I personally choose DLSU because of their Business Courses, especially accountancy I personally believe that they're good in molding every Accounting Student to be Good Christian Achievers and at the same time training and preparing students for the future.

    But if i'm not a LaSallian, perhaps an Atenean or UPian will do. Business Administration is my 1st choice in both schools and I pass their exams. But in the end, my heart goes with Accountancy, that's why I choose to study in LaSalle.

    High Tuition Fees would be one reason for me not to study here. And I believe everyone here agrees with me. :)
  • UST_BOYUST_BOY Tomasino sa Puso PExer
    Sa akin reason 1 & 3 lang. I passed DLSU but no course of mine was there, it is offered solely by UST and UP, that's my other reason. Others stated are stupid conclusions of La salle. DLSU is a gu skul and we know it. I just don't know how life is it there. ANIMO LA SALLE!
  • UST_BOYUST_BOY Tomasino sa Puso PExer
    Originally posted by 4MER_Pexer
    Actually, I personally choose DLSU because of their Business Courses, especially accountancy I personally believe that they're good in molding every Accounting Student to be Good Christian Achievers and at the same time training and preparing students for the future.

    But if i'm not a LaSallian, perhaps an Atenean or UPian will do. Business Administration is my 1st choice in both schools and I pass their exams. But in the end, my heart goes with Accountancy, that's why I choose to study in LaSalle.

    High Tuition Fees would be one reason for me not to study here. And I believe everyone here agrees with me. :)
    DLSU is the best business skul in the land. Ang commerce ng UST ay kalahati lang ng la salle.
  • AltweggAltwegg Son of the 80s PExer
    1. negative perception about the school i.e. it is the university for the rich alone, bayaran at palakasan system, the quality of students it develops

    2. high tuition fee

    3. the location of the school campus. ayaw ko po ng masikip e. gusto ko yung may malalawak na parks inside. *okay*

    4. lagi silang natatalo nun sa basketball. :glee: most of my cousins are graduates of the University of Santo Tomas, and i always see their enthusiasm for basketball. Every time may game ang USTe, they watch. kaya sabi ko, i want to be part of USTe too... para halos iisang skul lang kami lahat

    5. some professors are graduates of other universities. parang gusto ko home-grown professors

    6. because of the LRT. parang reason number 3.

    7. it has not produced a single president yet <-- babaw ba? :glee:

    8. most of the alumni and students are nasa showbiz

    yun lang po ang mga naisip kong dahilan. *okay*

    and those 8 things are the reasons why I didnt even bother apply at DLSU.

    *okay*

    :wave:
  • fancy_gurlfancy_gurl the truth hurts. PExer
    Originally posted by Altwegg
    1. negative perception about the school i.e. it is the university for the rich alone, bayaran at palakasan system, the quality of students it develops

    This is a common misconception about La Salle, my friend. Usually, the negative perception about the school comes from the badmouthing of students and alumni alike from rival universities.

    La Salle isn't a school for the rich alone. In fact, if you ever got the chance to study there, I am sure you would be surprised at the number of students enrolled who belong to the middle-class bracket. And La Salle has many scholars from the different provinces too. So I think it's unfair to make this hasty generalization.

    Next, it is so untrue that the "bayaran and palakasan system" is rampant in La Salle. In fact, there are times that it becomes so hard to talk to our professors because they are so unapproachable and inconsiderate. If you fail, you fail. Walang kuwenta and pagiging sipsip. This won't work for the teachers. That's just the way it is. Course card distribution for the second term this year will be held on December 20. Iyakan blues na naman iyan, I'm sure.

    Oh...and yeah, our teachers are paid highly enough already. :D Di na nila kailangan ang bayaran system. This is the main reason why many teachers from other universities choose to practice their profession in La Salle.

    And about the quality of students that the school develops, just see how many La Salle graduates there are who have landed really good and high-paying jobs. Just take a look at the jobs section of the different newspapers and I'm sure you'll come across many ads looking for UP, Ateneo, or La Salle graduates. If the quality of students the school develops is inferior, I wonder why they are still so in demand.
  • yooki_dookiyooki_dooki SBC Packer PExer
    high tuition is the reason for me. but still i end up here in dlsu. it is because of a much heavier reason: the quality of education (as usual... hehehe). i choose dlsu because i offers excellent, if not the best, foundation for aspiring accountants. :D
  • AltweggAltwegg Son of the 80s PExer
    Originally posted by fancy_gurl


    This is a common misconception about La Salle, my friend. Usually, the negative perception about the school comes from the badmouthing of students and alumni alike from rival universities.

    La Salle isn't a school for the rich alone. In fact, if you ever got the chance to study there, I am sure you would be surprised at the number of students enrolled who belong to the middle-class bracket. And La Salle has many scholars from the different provinces too. So I think it's unfair to make this hasty generalization.

    Next, it is so untrue that the "bayaran and palakasan system" is rampant in La Salle. In fact, there are times that it becomes so hard to talk to our professors because they are so unapproachable and inconsiderate. If you fail, you fail. Walang kuwenta and pagiging sipsip. This won't work for the teachers. That's just the way it is. Course card distribution for the second term this year will be held on December 20. Iyakan blues na naman iyan, I'm sure.

    Oh...and yeah, our teachers are paid highly enough already. :D Di na nila kailangan ang bayaran system. This is the main reason why many teachers from other universities choose to practice their profession in La Salle.

    And about the quality of students that the school develops, just see how many La Salle graduates there are who have landed really good and high-paying jobs. Just take a look at the jobs section of the different newspapers and I'm sure you'll come across many ads looking for UP, Ateneo, or La Salle graduates. If the quality of students the school develops is inferior, I wonder why they are still so in demand.
    the things i posted were some of the things i've heard before. i didn't say they were true.

    *okay*

    :wave:
  • soulthirdsoulthird It Ain't Worth It PExer
    Originally posted by Altwegg

    the things i posted were some of the things i've heard before. i didn't say they were true.

    *okay*

    :wave:

    i hope you'd bother checking. :)

    "1. negative perception about the school i.e. it is the university for the rich alone, bayaran at palakasan system, the quality of students it develops "

    --- the perception is true, but I don't think teh quality of students it develops is questionable.

    "2. high tuition fee "

    --true!

    "3. the location of the school campus. ayaw ko po ng masikip e. gusto ko yung may malalawak na parks inside. "

    --a matter of opinion, but trivial to say the least. :)

    "4. lagi silang natatalo nun sa basketball. most of my cousins are graduates of the University of Santo Tomas, and i always see their enthusiasm for basketball. Every time may game ang USTe, they watch. kaya sabi ko, i want to be part of USTe too... para halos iisang skul lang kami lahat "

    -- no comment!


    "5. some professors are graduates of other universities. parang gusto ko home-grown professors "

    -- well I don't think any school can claim that their faculty is 100% homegrown. All universities have at least SOME faculty members from other schools.


    "6. because of the LRT. parang reason number 3. "

    -- oo nga yung LRT, pero ok na din at least accessible

    7. it has not produced a single president yet <-- babaw ba?

    -- OO. :)


    8. most of the alumni and students are nasa showbiz

    -- well u cudn't blame LaSallians for looking good and being talented! ;)
  • AltweggAltwegg Son of the 80s PExer
    Originally posted by soulthird


    i hope you'd bother checking. :)
    i realized when i entered college and started to know more things about the collegiate world that some of the things attributed to DLSU were not true after all

    *okay*
    "1. negative perception about the school i.e. it is the university for the rich alone, bayaran at palakasan system, the quality of students it develops "

    --- the perception is true, but I don't think the quality of students it develops is questionable.
    i agree
    "2. high tuition fee "

    --true!
    yep
    "3. the location of the school campus. ayaw ko po ng masikip e. gusto ko yung may malalawak na parks inside. "

    --a matter of opinion, but trivial to say the least. :)

    "4. lagi silang natatalo nun sa basketball. most of my cousins are graduates of the University of Santo Tomas, and i always see their enthusiasm for basketball. Every time may game ang USTe, they watch. kaya sabi ko, i want to be part of USTe too... para halos iisang skul lang kami lahat "

    -- no comment!
    *okay*

    "5. some professors are graduates of other universities. parang gusto ko home-grown professors "

    -- well I don't think any school can claim that their faculty is 100% homegrown. All universities have at least SOME faculty members from other schools.
    yep. but in other universities, most of the professors who make up the faculty are "homegrown"

    *okay*
    "6. because of the LRT. parang reason number 3. "

    -- oo nga yung LRT, pero ok na din at least accessible
    by 2003, LRT3 (?) construction begins and it will hit Espana.
    7. it has not produced a single president yet <-- babaw ba?

    -- OO.?
    :glee:
    8. most of the alumni and students are nasa showbiz

    -- well u cudn't blame LaSallians for looking good and being talented!
    :lol:
  • UST_BOYUST_BOY Tomasino sa Puso PExer
    Another concept of la salle (THIS IS NOT A MISCONCEPTION THIS IS TRUE) Is that they have less of the homegrown professors. DLSU is the Youngest of the three other giants UP/UST/ATENEO, 80% of de la salle's faculty came from this university, making it a combination of giants. Some of my professors admitted they work partly in la salle because of the highpay. WAG KAYONG MAGAGALIT THAT IS A REALITY.
  • Totnak BoyTotnak Boy 0917-5387080 PExer
    heh, to tell ya honestly, most LaSallians (at least from my posse) have this perception that it's better to have professors from other universities other than homegrown ones. Professors from outside they say are more lenient, especially with regards to attendance. I dunno why, but some LaSallians often think of homegrown professors as holding a grudge against the strictness of their almamater and taking it out on the students they're handling. Tama ba namang gantihan kami :lol:

    but of course this is not always true. in fact mas maganda pa nga ung kagagraduate lang na prof mo eh, minsan naging superior mo pa dati sa school org kaya kilala mo na :)
  • tina11tina11 Member PExer
    Originally posted by Altwegg

    8. most of the alumni and students are nasa showbiz


    hehehe natawa ako dito... of the 2,000 graduates that la salle produces each year, sa tingin niyo ba ilan ang nasa or napupunta sa showbiz? :p
  • AltweggAltwegg Son of the 80s PExer
    Originally posted by tina11



    hehehe natawa ako dito... of the 2,000 graduates that la salle produces each year, sa tingin niyo ba ilan ang nasa or napupunta sa showbiz? :p

    dunno

    :glee:

    *okay*
  • UST_BOYUST_BOY Tomasino sa Puso PExer
    Originally posted by tina11



    hehehe natawa ako dito... of the 2,000 graduates that la salle produces each year, sa tingin niyo ba ilan ang nasa or napupunta sa showbiz? :p
    Showbiz ka ha! :lol: :glee: :toofunny:
    Edu Manzano is a la sallian
  • soulthirdsoulthird It Ain't Worth It PExer
    Originally posted by Totnak Boy
    heh, to tell ya honestly, most LaSallians (at least from my posse) have this perception that it's better to have professors from other universities other than homegrown ones. Professors from outside they say are more lenient, especially with regards to attendance. I dunno why, but some LaSallians often think of homegrown professors as holding a grudge against the strictness of their almamater and taking it out on the students they're handling. Tama ba namang gantihan kami :lol:

    but of course this is not always true. in fact mas maganda pa nga ung kagagraduate lang na prof mo eh, minsan naging superior mo pa dati sa school org kaya kilala mo na :)

    oo nga gumaganti lang yang mga prof from DLSU...kaya lagi na lang check attendance...
  • tesseracttesseract True-Blue Atenean PExer
    Hmm... why not la salle?

    Like so many of my decisions, I made my decision against studying in la salle not based totally on statistics that might not even apply to me but rather on my observations of relatives who have attended the said institution, in addition to several practical reasons. So this post isn't meant to bash, okay? This is my experience.

    I have several cousins, friends, and other relatives who have attended la salle. Among my cousins I have several who were the hopeless cases in a Jesuit high school and yet have emerged among the the top dean's listers. I have an uncle who still sucks in english, and cannot sustain a mental debate. I have friends who were also the crap of the crop, and suddenly became the cream of the la sallite crop because they could, as their parents told me, earn "favors" from one or two professors.

    I have a particular cousin who went through academic hell in la salle. But then again his whole life was one "academic hell" anyway. Finances were of no complication whatsoever. And the gloating about UAAP basketball was no problem.

    So I was struck by the principal reasons that many people do not opt to attend la salle -- the perception (and seeming reality) that it is a school for the financial, but not intellectual elite, bad academics, athletic versus academic orientation, etc. I find myself in constant need for thought that goes deeper than practical notions and skill-based impulses, but rather deeper thinking and contemplation -- contemplation that stems from higher thought, from higher education, from an environment that nurtures and challenges not only my skills in math, or grammar, or memorization -- I want the challenge of debate, of rhetoric, of philosophy and humanistic expression coupled with a rigorous academic curriculum.

    And now, for my more practical reasons.

    I live in Loyola Heights, which is rather far from busy Taft. I don't want the inconvenience of waking up extra early to get a good drive's headstart, or the traffic, or the pollution. And besides, I want to be either a businessman or a lawyer, and the Ateneo or UP are right next door. So would attending la salle, ust, and the other schools be practical? Not really. I got a ua&p form, but decided not to push through with my application for the same reasons.

    And so, I never really gave la salle, ust, or any other Philippine school other than the Ateneo de Manila or UP-Diliman consideration. That's all. If I offended anyone, sorry. But this is where I choose to stand. Peace.
  • Lek-LekLek-Lek Kent Ridge PExer
    Originally posted by tesseract

    I find myself in constant need for thought that goes deeper than practical notions and skill-based impulses, but rather deeper thinking and contemplation -- contemplation that stems from higher thought, from higher education, from an environment that nurtures and challenges not only my skills in math, or grammar, or memorization -- I want the challenge of debate, of rhetoric, of philosophy and humanistic expression coupled with a rigorous academic curriculum.

    I exactly have the same reason.
  • Totnak BoyTotnak Boy 0917-5387080 PExer
    tesseract: not to pry or anything, but may I ask what courses did your relatives take up? Point being intellectual debates and "higher level of thinking" aren't exactly applicable in some, if not most, of the courses offered in universities. If you're in La Salle to learn engineering, or accounting, or computer science, or whathaveyou, chances are you'd end up in a pure curriculum of your respective choice. The trimestral system has already cut all the slack it could muster to squeeze in all the "more significant units" (of course, depending on your point of view ;)) Call yourself lucky if you find 3 or so units there of high-faluting thoughts :)

    And as for the run-down notion of easy favors from professors...erm...as I said, the stereotype's been pretty much brought down to the ground and burned to crisp.
  • tesseracttesseract True-Blue Atenean PExer
    Originally posted by Totnak Boy
    tesseract: not to pry or anything, but may I ask what courses did your relatives take up? Point being intellectual debates and "higher level of thinking" aren't exactly applicable in some, if not most, of the courses offered in universities. If you're in La Salle to learn engineering, or accounting, or computer science, or whathaveyou, chances are you'd end up in a pure curriculum of your respective choice. The trimestral system has already cut all the slack it could muster to squeeze in all the "more significant units" (of course, depending on your point of view ;)) Call yourself lucky if you find 3 or so units there of high-faluting thoughts :)

    And as for the run-down notion of easy favors from professors...erm...as I said, the stereotype's been pretty much brought down to the ground and burned to crisp.

    The courses they took? I remember Engineering, ComSci, Accountancy, Economics, MFI/Commerce, Literature, Comm Arts, and Philosophy.

    I have a cousin who's there right now taking up Eco. He's really good friends with his professors... *hint*

    And there are a lot of courses in different universities that make use of "higher level thinking." Philosophy, the humanities, the arts, political science, social science, even economics and business management do.
  • rein505rein505 Member PExer
    i know a couple of very average students back in highschool who are now dean's listers at DLSu. no offense!
«13

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file