Captain Marvel (2019)

etherial_fistetherial_fist RD=MM=ALE=JG ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in International Movies
KELLY SUE DECONNICK WAS 'GOBSMACKED' BY THE MOVIE ANNOUNCEMENT

IGN

marvelstudioseventlarge7jpg

With Marvel Studios announcing that Captain Marvel will be getting her own movie in 2018, we reached out to Kelly Sue Deconnick, the woman who has been writing the comic book since Carol Danvers was re-branded as Captain Marvel in 2012. Believe it or not, she had no idea the announcement was coming.

"I was gobsmacked," she said. "I did not see that coming, and I would have bet high dollar against it. I could not be more thrilled to be wrong."

Deconnick was quick to point out that she is a freelancer working for Marvel Comics on a work-for-hire basis, so she's not privy to the same kind of information that someone like comic writer Brian Michael Bendis -- who is on the creative committee for the movies -- or Joe Quesada -- the Chief Creative Officer of Marvel -- would have.

"There's nothing adversarial about it," she clarified. "It's just a billion-dollar industry where they have to keep everything very close to their chest."

When asked what Captain Marvel brings to the Marvel Cinematic Universe that it doesn't already have, Deconnick was clear and concise: a female protagonist.

"The only thing I know [about the movie] is what [Kevin] Feige said at the announcement, which is, she's an Earth-based Carol who has cosmic-based powers. So the tone of the film is very much up in the air. It'll depend, I'm sure, on the screenplay, what direction they want to go with it, and the vision that their director has. There's a lot of different ways they could go with Carol. I have every faith that they'll do well by her. The films have been utterly fantastic," she said. "But without knowing anything about the film, the only thing that I could say that's new is, hey, yeah, female protagonist. I could not be more excited about that."

Back in 2012 when Deconnick first started writing Captain Marvel, the character was in a much different place. Carol Danvers went by Ms. Marvel, had a costume with no pants, and she had been doing some unhero-like things.

"I felt like my challenge was to nudge her character back to someone who would be easy to cheer for, someone who could carry a solo book and be indisputably the hero. So my pitch was, 'Carol Danvers as Chuck Yeager,'" Deconnick said. "She has kind of a dorky sense of humor that's a good, fun thing to play up with her. She's short-tempered; that's something most of us can relate to at one time or another in our lives. She means well. I think if you focus on that stuff and you focus on the fact that she's incredibly driven, she wants to win, she's unapologetic about wanting to win -- if you focus on all of that stuff, then she's an incredibly American hero. She's very easy to root for in that way.

captain-marvel-001-leinil-yu-cover-300x458jpg

During our interview, Deconnick made clear that she did not create the Captain Marvel character -- Carol Danvers was created in 1968, got her powers in 1977, and became Captain Marvel in 2012. She explained that it was in fact her then-editor Steve Wacker who wanted to change the hero's name and give her a new costume -- a costume that artist Jamie McKelvie wound up designing. Still, for those who have read the comic, Deconnick has clearly done something right, otherwise the fan group known as the Carol Corps would not have sprung up with such big numbers among their ranks.

"The Carol Corps has been tremendous from day one," Deconnick said of the group known for dressing up as Captain Marvel at conventions, creating fan art featuring the revamped costume, and otherwise expressing their love for the comic. "The people who are drawn to this character are unsurprisingly very driven and very generous. The tone was established very early on that there would be no gatekeepers, that this would be a welcoming community and a charitable community. I love everything about that."

As for what Captain Marvel is up to in her monthly ongoing comic book series, Deconnick said that she is currently having adventures in space -- she recently made an appearance in The Guardians of the Galaxy comic -- and that the upcoming Captain Marvel #9 (out 11/12/14) is a great jumping-on point for anyone interested in getting into the comic.

detail1jpg

"It's a very fun one-shot issue that takes place on Lila Cheney's Dyson sphere. Lila Cheney is one of the X-Men. She's a mutant who has teleportation powers, and she has an abandoned Dyson sphere, which is sort of like a private mini-planet of her own, like an apartment out in space, that she takes Carol. She's Carol's sidekick for now too, and they have an encounter with the Royal Court of Aladna, a group that Lila had a run-in with when she was a child," Deconnick said. "[Captain Marvel is] not a big brain; she's a big fist. So I like to put her in situations where there are problems she can't punch, because it's hilarious to me. So Carol has to work this out diplomatically. Of course, it ends in punching."

CAPMARV2014009002_coljpg

The actor playing Captain Marvel in the movie has yet to be cast, but Deconnick politely declined to say who she would choose for the role. However, she did offer some insight to how she envisions the character in real life.

"The voice in my head for Carol [is] Kathleen Turner from about 1984. I like how grounded her voice is. That's the Carol that lives in my head. There are a number of contemporary actresses who could bring a lot of really cool stuff to it. I'm really excited to see who they get. But whoever it is, I'll be first in line, no matter what."

Comments

• etherial_fistetherial_fist RD=MM=ALE=JG ✭✭✭
    The 'Interstellar' star weighs in on her comic book movie future

mgid:uma:image:mtv.com:9685394?quality=0.8&width=1200&height=675

A previous version of this article suggested that Chastain might have had discussions with Marvel for the Captain Marvel role in a future movie. However, MTV News has confirmed that this is untrue. In addition, Chastain herself has clarified via twitter saying, “Oops uh oh… I’ve never had talks about Captain Marvel. Was referring to a different film from over a year ago, in my recent MTV interview.”

Jessica Chastain‘s already flourishing career is about to blast off to another level thanks to her turn in the sure to be blockbuster “Interstellar.” But despite getting to play in Christopher Nolan’s sandbox, and earning two Oscar nominations in recent years, the acclaimed actress wants in on one more genre that has eluded her: the superhero flick.

When Chastain stopped by MTV today (November 3) she openly discussed the tantalizing possibilities. Once rumored to be up for a role in “Iron Man 3,” Chastain confirmed she’s talked to Marvel about other roles.

“We’ve talked about aligning our forces in the future,” Chastain said. “And here’s the thing with me… If you’re going to be in a superhero movie, you only get one chance. You’re that character forever. So why do a superhero movie and play the boring civilian?”

“Whatever it is, I want a fight scene,” Chastain continued. “I could be an incredible villain. I could be a hero. I want a cool outfit, and I want to kick ***.”

MTV News
    katheryn-winnick-wants-to-be-cast-as-captain-marvel-wow.webp?width=640&height=400

Katheryn Winnick Wants To Be Cast As Captain Marvel for Marvels Phase 3! How badly?

Well she did just drop this gem on Instagram! http://instagram.com/p/u88HD6GKGl/?modal=true

katheryn-winnick-wants-to-be-cast-as-captain-marvel-abbf568c-a66a-49da-bf54-3cac769db689.webp?width=640&height=193

No this is NOT official, but WOW it sure looks it! A dedicated fan with real artistic talent made this in hopes that it might get Marvels attention. It looks fantastic, and so does she!

Katheryn Winnick plays Lagertha on the popular TV show Vikings. She also has a few other decent credits, which is typically what Marvel looks out for. A new, talented actor with a few credits here and there and the ability to deliver. Not to mention she's smoking hot! Marvel might want to at least consider her!

MoviePilot
  • darknight10darknight10 Member ✭✭✭
    So who'll be?
  • riverhorseriverhorse start me up ✭✭✭
    ck1Jdu2.jpg

iPcbgfU.jpg
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member ✭✭✭
    bad news guys ....... re-scheduled for a later date.
    Brie Larson the Frontrunner to Play Captain Marvel (EXCLUSIVE)
    After winning the best actress Oscar for “Room,” Brie Larson has her sights on another marvelous role.

Sources tell Variety Larson is in early talks to play Captain Marvel, one of Marvel’s most popular female superheroes, in an upcoming standalone film. It’s unknown where negotiations stand, but sources have told Variety that Larson is their first choice, and that she’s leaning toward playing the part.

Marvel had no comment on the story.
    “Inside Out” scribe Meg LeFauve and Nicole Perlman are currently writing the script, which follows Carol Danvers, an air force pilot whose DNA is fused with that of an alien during an accident. The resulting alteration imbues her with the super powers of strength, energy project and flight.

Source : http://variety.com/2016/film/news/brie-larson-captain-marvel-1201786876/
  • MasterVaderMasterVader 신진해 ✭✭✭
    Brie Larson as a superhero
  • Zep_TepiZep_Tepi Carpe Diem ✭✭✭
    Marvel Entertainment ‏@Marvel 2m2 minutes ago
    Meet your [#]CaptainMarvel[/#]: @brielarson!
  • caitdawncaitdawn thing of the past 2019 PEx Oscar Pool Top 10
  • QT IIQT II Bee-doh bee-doh bee-doh bee ✭✭✭
    caitdawn wrote: »

Nice choice!!! woot woot wootwootwootwoot

I would love to have a marvel cap, gimme one please. :D
  • caitdawncaitdawn thing of the past 2019 PEx Oscar Pool Top 10
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member ✭✭✭
  • sophionsophion Member ✭✭
    this will be a flop for sure.

because:

#1. its a girl. girl superhero movies are a hard sell.

#2. the captain marvel most people know is this:

Captainmarvel.JPG

#3. the ms marvel costumes are boring

#4. the actress is boring, and plain looking.

#5. the origin story is unoriginal.

#6. her powers are unoriginal

#7. Marvel, both in the comics and in the films, doesnt really know how to make an interesting female character.
    To my understanding she's supposed to be as strong as Thor and she can go toe to toe with Hulk ( assuming Hulk doesn't get batsh!t crazy angry ). Her potential is to be able to absorb energy , all kinds of energy even magical energy, then redirect it to her opponent. If she absorbs enough energy and stays conscious it is implied she can go toe to toe with cosmically powered beings ( like a certain mad Titan ).

OT: for DC, Captain Marvel has been renamed as Shazam (which honestly is a better name for him, it's unique sounding and is easy to recall ).
    riverhorse wrote: »
    If she absorbs enough energy and stays conscious it is implied she can go toe to toe with cosmically powered beings ( like a certain mad Titan ).
    absorption is just a minor ability for her which is why rogue managed to out-absorb her.
    so too much energy and she will overload and explode the way bishop did.
    A little OT -> Marvel actually has a lot of strong female characters , well fleshed out :

Psylocke, Storm, Rogue and Phoenix ( who for me are the 4 female pillars of the xmen) * Admittedly, they're awesomeness in the comics hasn't been properly translated to film, yet.

Emma Frost, ShadowCat, She-Hulk and Scarlet Witch ( same problem as above, though SC is a bit [email protected] in the MCU though they made her a psionic).

Hope Summers is a mixed bag. She's either extremely powerful or nearly powerless depending on her mood and depending on her proximity to nearby mutants.

For the Inhumans I like Medusa ( who is suprisingly formidable given her unique power set ) .

For the Asgardians I really like Enchantress though she's probablt too carnal for the MCU, depending on how she's written. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing her either as an ally or enemy of Thor. They'd have to cast someone who is drop dead gorgeous.

Carol Danvers ? Yes in the comics she can be a bit vanilla, depending on how she's written. They might suprise us though, perhaps they'll be able to breath new life into Carol for the CM movie. Last I remeber, in the comics Carol put Iron Man in a coma. :glee:
    sophion wrote: »
    absorption is just a minor ability for her which is why rogue managed to out-absorb her.
    so too much energy and she will overload and explode the way bishop did.

Perhaps. But if she survives she can transition into her Binary persona ( if I understand it correctly). As Binary she can take on Thanos, well that is if she survives the transformation. If she doesn't , well ...
    riverhorse wrote: »
    A little OT -> Marvel actually has a lot of strong female characters , well fleshed out :

Psylocke, Storm, Rogue and Phoenix ( who for me are the 4 female pillars of the xmen) * Admittedly, they're awesomeness in the comics hasn't been properly translated to film, yet.

Emma Frost, ShadowCat, She-Hulk and Scarlet Witch ( same problem as above, though SC is a bit [email protected] in the MCU though they made her a psionic).

Hope Summers is a mixed bag. She's either extremely powerful or nearly powerless depending on her mood and depending on her proximity to nearby mutants.

For the Inhumans I like Medusa ( who is suprisingly formidable given her unique power set ) .

For the Asgardians I really like Enchantress though she's probablt too carnal for the MCU, depending on how she's written. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing her either as an ally or enemy of Thor. They'd have to cast someone who is drop dead gorgeous.

Carol Danvers ? Yes in the comics she can be a bit vanilla, depending on how she's written. They might suprise us though, perhaps they'll be able to breath new life into Carol for the CM movie. Last I remeber, in the comics Carol put Iron Man in a coma. :glee:

fully fleshed out yet not enough to stand out. Thats why Halle Berry's talent got wasted on a very forgettable Storm. Psylocke had always been nothing more than a fanboy's sex fantasy both in the comics and in the film. Same for Rogue, except that she was much too dull in the movies.

Marvel's latest attempt of portraying, promoting and attracting women is to reverse the gender of its iconic heroes. pathetic dont you think? :rolleyes:

this 'captain marvel' movie is gonna one huge gamble. i think the main goal of this movie is political correctness...to appease women, critics and liberal crybabies. not to make money. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file