Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

How are these good old Restos now?

nikkilovenikkilove PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Annabel's, Tia Maria's, Alba, Mario's, Gloria Maris, Via Mare, etc?

Growing up in the 90s, these were some of the restos I remember dining in, during family occasions and holidays.

And I do miss them. How do they fare now, with the current competition from buffets and the new casual diners?

(and just for credit, yes I got this idea from the Tia Maria's thread. )

Comments

• BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    gloria maris nalang ata ang buhay from that list?
  • rubberr_duckyrubberr_ducky PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Bhp - Buhay pa sila and still see them. Although food and price at no comment pa ago. Yung Alba ay di ako sure.

Nikki - I'll add Max's and Aristocrat. Tried them when I was a kid. Nung tumanda bumibisita pa ren. Yung isa naging reception pa nung kinasal ako. :glee:

Ano nga ba yung Chinese resto na may branches sa Cubao at Quezon Ave? Na ngayon ay Quezon Ave na lang yung operating pa.
  • ka_denizka_deniz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    nikkilove wrote: »
    Annabel's, Tia Maria's, Alba, Mario's, Gloria Maris, Via Mare, etc?

Growing up in the 90s, these were some of the restos I remember dining in, during family occasions and holidays.

And I do miss them. How do they fare now, with the current competition from buffets and the new casual diners?

(and just for credit, yes I got this idea from the Tia Maria's thread. )

They're still ok.

Annabel's and mario's still cater to politicians. Kasahan pa rin. oppos usually hangout in annabels and admins hangout at mario's. prices are reasonable.

Tiq marias are usually taken over by cowboy grill.

Gloria maris still serve kicka$$ chinese food.

Via mare still serves great merienda. Dinuguan at puto, bibingka, tsokolate. But they have yone back to their roots. They are the go to guys for catering services. This is where they truly shine.

Alba's is [email protected] no sense going there. Last i ate at alba's it was a disappointment. The quality went down since senor alba left the scene. Parang dulcinea, ood swiss inn trepfunkt and vieux chalet. The quality dropped when the original owner died.
  • blue_acidblue_acid PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Via Mare is still my go to for Pancit Luglog :)

Gloria Maris has dropped in terms of quality and increased in terms of price since they renovated the restaurant.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Mario's is still in TMorato;
    Annabel's same as Mario's;
    Alba's is still at TMorato ...... anu nga ba yun street fringing out Jupiter;
    Via Mare has gone main stream franchising
    Gloria Mari's is the most aggressive amongst the 6.

basta old restaurant dim lit facade.

gloria maris nalang ata ang buhay from that list?

you are so misinformed.

kala ko kuysi boi ka. please take a stroll along TMorato.

ka_deniz wrote: »
    They're still ok.

Annabel's and mario's still cater to politicians. Kasahan pa rin. oppos usually hangout in annabels and admins hangout at mario's. prices are reasonable.

Via mare still serves great merienda. Dinuguan at puto, bibingka, tsokolate. But they have yone back to their roots. They are the go to guys for catering services. This is where they truly shine.

Alba's is [email protected] no sense going there. Last i ate at alba's it was a disappointment. The quality went down since senor alba left the scene. Parang dulcinea, ood swiss inn trepfunkt and vieux chalet. The quality dropped when the original owner died.

the treffpunkt (sausage place) along EDSA has closed down. it is now an ukay ukay shop.
    There's this restaurant at Harrison Plaza I think it was called Yum Yum Treehouse? Is it still alive? I used to love going there as a kid
  • nikkilovenikkilove PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

ok, thanks!
    Bhp - Buhay pa sila and still see them. Although food and price at no comment pa ago. Yung Alba ay di ako sure.

Nikki - I'll add Max's and Aristocrat. Tried them when I was a kid. Nung tumanda bumibisita pa ren. Yung isa naging reception pa nung kinasal ako. :glee:

Ano nga ba yung Chinese resto na may branches sa Cubao at Quezon Ave? Na ngayon ay Quezon Ave na lang yung operating pa.

Sure, rubber_ducky. just add nyo lang, yung mga ka uri nila. mga casual to fine dining restos na oldies.

nakakain kami sa Aristocrat nung huling uwi ko, kaya di ko na sya sinama, pero go ahead.

for me, still the same, lumiit nga lang mga servings and nagmahal. pero the taste are still ok for me.

ok, thanks gotta. I wish its Mario's or Annabel's ang nag branch out. Balita ko, nag branch out na rin ang Alba's.

yes I love T. Morato, Timog and West Ave.
    blue_acid wrote: »
    Via Mare is still my go to for Pancit Luglog :)

Gloria Maris has dropped in terms of quality and increased in terms of price since they renovated the restaurant.

We still ate recently in Via Mare, I dont know why naisama ko sya sa list, pero since isa din sya sa mga oldies na kinakainan namin.

But yes I still love it. thanks sis blue.
    They're still ok.

ok, thanks KD. youre reliable as always.
    ay talaga? nag decline na Albas. i like it there pa naman. I like their spanish style cuisine.

talaga Tia Maria's is going away na? so sad.

As to Annabels and Mario's, that's good if they still serve the same quality of food.

and yes, I still love Via Mare.

kakamiss lang. Hopefully maka visit uli sa mga yan, sa sunod kong uwi.

thanks to all! :)

basta old restaurant dim lit facade.

you are so misinformed.

kala ko kuysi boi ka. please take a stroll along TMorato.

the treffpunkt (sausage place) along EDSA has closed down. it is now an ukay ukay shop.

Talaga? Tagal na din ako hindi nadadaan dyan sa edsa santolan. Thanks!
    There's this restaurant at Harrison Plaza I think it was called Yum Yum Treehouse? Is it still alive? I used to love going there as a kid

Yum yum treehouse is rustan's coffeeshop. Not sure about harrison plaza, but the one in mcc is still open.
    ok, thanks gotta. I wish its Mario's or Annabel's ang nag branch out. Balita ko, nag branch out na rin ang Alba's.

yes I love T. Morato, Timog and West Ave.

We still ate recently in Via Mare, I dont know why naisama ko sya sa list, pero since isa din sya sa mga oldies na kinakainan namin.

But yes I still love it. thanks sis blue.

ok, thanks KD. youre reliable as always.
    ay talaga? nag decline na Albas. i like it there pa naman. I like their spanish style cuisine.

talaga Tia Maria's is going away na? so sad.

As to Annabels and Mario's, that's good if they still serve the same quality of food.

and yes, I still love Via Mare.

kakamiss lang. Hopefully maka visit uli sa mga yan, sa sunod kong uwi.

thanks to all! :)

Kung 70s era spanish food mas ok ang casa armas.

Guernicas nasa sucat na. Haven't eaten there yet, so couldn't Say kung ok pa sila.

I miss hong lay kee. Yun ang nawala na.
    thanks for the recommendations KD.

san may accessible na branches mga yan? yung tipong mapupuntahan ng isang balikbayan na 3 weeks lang sa pilipinas. :hiya:

I think yang Casa Armas nakita ko to sa isang mall somewhere.

it may not be probably as good as the original, pero id like to try than not at all.
    Yum yum treehouse is rustan's coffeeshop. Not sure about harrison plaza, but the one in mcc is still open.

Is it still good? I remember I loved the sandwiches and meatball spaghetti then? I'm not even sure if that's the menu

nikkilove, a lot of the old restaurants are still in Tomas Morato. I tried Mario's a few years ago and it wasn't bad but you can't compare it to the other newer steak houses. I remember the salad being good though :)
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

it is still there. i passed by HP last January. i did not eat there.

ate at Nitz Restaurant, instead.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    is saisaki still around? Last time I was there as 10 years ago :lol:
    You can get Saisaki at Dads buffet.

I know some people here feel Saisaki is substandard compared to its heydays,

But when i ate there this march nitong uwi ko,

I thought theyre still ok. Their tempura is still the best ive tasted pa rin, compared to those expensive Japanese restos ive eaten in.

I also still like their sashimi and fried rice.

Ok pa rin sya for me.
    Ok thanks sis blue! We
    Live in QC pero near San Juan side.
    Ill try gumawi next time.
    Is it still good? I remember I loved the sandwiches and meatball spaghetti then? I'm not even sure if that's the menu

nikkilove, a lot of the old restaurants are still in Tomas Morato. I tried Mario's a few years ago and it wasn't bad but you can't compare it to the other newer steak houses. I remember the salad being good though :)

The old items are still good. Nag upgrade na sila ng menu. Catering more to the hip crowd.
    thanks for the recommendations KD.

san may accessible na branches mga yan? yung tipong mapupuntahan ng isang balikbayan na 3 weeks lang sa pilipinas. :hiya:

I think yang Casa Armas nakita ko to sa isang mall somewhere.

it may not be probably as good as the original, pero id like to try than not at all.

Casa armas has a branch in jupiter and one in malate. Kung feeling balikbayan ka, magmalate ka. Para may kasamang ikot sa manila area.

Pwede ka din mag t.morato. ikot ka dun mula breakfast.

Breakfast ka sa dulcinea. Get pastries, bread, sobrasada, torta rioja and churros con chocolate. Kung feeling generous ka, yayain mo si bhb, ilibre mo na. kawawa naman yan kasi, walang pambayad, hindi kasi nakapagtapos kaya walang matinong trabaho, puro epal lang ang alam. Makatikim man lang ng masarap kahit minsan hindi puro google ang alam.

Then lunch at annabel's. Don't forget to order the french onion soup. They'll try to push the steak, go for the other items instead. If you go on a saturday, might as well keep your eyes open. Dyan yung kapihan nila jonat dela cruz, kit tatad, allan paguia, etc. Mostly erap and oppos.

Then dinner ka sa mario's. Make sure you order the callos and the cesar salad. They make it table side. They use a large wooden bowl, rub the garlic on the bowl, then add the egg yolk, mustard, anchovies, and dribble the oil while beating by hand. Then add the rest. Performance 'day.