MOVIES AT THE OSCARS (Past and Present)

It's fall time and the Oscar season is coming around.

So, while we are waiting for those critically-acclaimed movies, let's watch, re-watch and critique those previous Academy Award movies you've watch, will watch or are re-watching

:)

currently watching:
CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE (2005)

e30802d90755e019fd179e3452475a6bae0676c9.jpg

AWARDS:
Best Achievement in Makeup
Howard Berger
Tami Lane

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    I'm planning to watch some of the 90s and early 2000s winners/nominees :D
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I Member ✭✭✭
    forg wrote: »
    I'm planning to watch some of the 90s and early 2000s winners/nominees :D

that's great forg, I'm trying to find the early 60's movies especially those black and white ones

...can't wait to read your views/opinions.
  • ellepee78ellepee78 Member PExer
    Now Watching

Oscar_posters_79.jpg

Kramer vs. Kramer is a 1979 American drama film adapted by Robert Benton from the novel by Avery Corman, and directed by Benton. The film tells the story of a married couple's divorce and its impact on everyone involved, including the couple's young son. It received five Academy Awards in 1980 in the categories of Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress.

CASTS:

Dustin Hoffman as Ted Kramer
    Meryl Streep as Joanna Kramer
    Justin Henry as Billy Kramer
    Jane Alexander as Margaret Phelps
    Petra King as Petie Phelps
    Melissa Morell as Kim Phelps
    Howard Duff as John Shaunessy
    George Coe as Jim O'Connor
    JoBeth Williams as Phyllis Bernard
    Howland Chamberlain as Judge Atkins
    Dan Tyra as Court Clerk
    DVD

DURATION :
    Approx 130 minutes

DIRECTOR:
    Alfred Hitchcock

REBECCA 1940

alfred_hitchcock_rebecca_shop_dvd_large.jpg

i always thought I've seen all Alfred Hitchcock movies but boy was I wrong.

This is Hitchcock's first American film . It is the story of a widowed man Maxin de Winter (Laurence Olivier) who while vacationing in Monte Carlo marries a young gawkish girl (Joan Fontaine) and brings her to his Manderley estate.

At the estate, she discovers who her husband really is and who Rebecca was, whom the new Mrs. De Winter always felt was pervading her married life.

Olivier was truly a great actor and this movie definitely shows classic Hitchcockiness.

AWARDS:
    OSCARS:
    Best picture
    best cinematography
  • xtianj11xtianj11 Member PExer
    Re-watching for the nth time

the_godfather_1972.jpg

The Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by Albert S. Ruddy from a screenplay by Mario Puzo and Coppola. Starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino as the leaders of a fictional New York crime family, the story spans the years 1945-55, centering on the transformation of Michael Corleone from reluctant family outsider to ruthless Mafia boss while chronicling the Corleones under the patriarch Vito.

Based on Puzo's best-selling novel of the same name, The Godfather is widely regarded as one of the greatest films in world cinema—and as one of the most influential, especially in the gangster genre. Ranked second to Citizen Kane by the American Film Institute in 2007, it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1990.

The film was for a time the highest grossing picture ever made, and remains the box office leader for 1972. It won three Oscars that year: Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando) and in the category Best Adapted Screenplay for Puzo and Coppola. Its nominations in seven other categories included Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall for Best Supporting Actor and Coppola for Best Director. The success spawned two sequels: The Godfather Part II in 1974, and The Godfather Part III in 1990.
    DVD

DURATION:
    Approx 111 minutes

DIRECTOR:
    Alfred Hitchcock

SPELLBOUND (1945)

00565513-474191_500.jpg?k=2909f787&pid=333936&s=catl&sn=tcm

The movies Spellbound tackles psychoanalysis and how through interpretation of dreams one can solve ones mental illness.

Things to be considered when watching this movie are the rapport between Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman .

I had to read a profile on both of them and found out that they had an "special liking " for each other during the shooting of this film . He was 29 and she was 30.

Another thing to take note is that prior to the movie is an Overture which still seems to be a trend in the '40s

Also notice the opening quote by Shakespeare "The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves followed by a description of what psychoanalysis does .

Another thing to pay attention is the dream sequence since this was designed no other by Salvador Dali

Definitely another must-see for Oscar fanatics, classic film enthusiasts and fans of Peck and Bergman.... Great actor and actress during their time .

AWARDS:
    Oscars
    Best Music

Nominations:
    Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Michael Chekhov
    Best Cinematography
    best director
    Best Effects
    Best Picture
    next movie: THE HEIRESS
    Starring Montgomery Clift and Olivia de Havilland
    DVD

DURATION:
    Approx 155 minutes

DIRECTOR:
    William Wyler

THE HEIRESS (1949)

mu5lbPAcvD1CMnATQtLdBqg.jpg

What would you like me to do for her that I have not done? Is there something that I have missed? She has gone to the best schools in the city. She has had the finest training I could get her in music and dancing, she has sat here with me evenings on end, and I have tried to make conversation with her, and give her some social adeptness. She has never been constrained in the spending of money, of the directing of this household. I have given her freedoms wherever I could. The result is what you see --- an entirely mediocre and defenseless creature with not a shred of poise. What did I do wrong , my dear sister? If you know, I wish you would tell me , for I do not .

ACADEMY AWARDS:
    Best Actress : Olivia de Havilland

Best Art Direction- black and white

Best Costume design

Best Music

Nominations:

Best Picture

best actor in a supporting role

Best Director

Best Cinematography , black and white
    ALL IS QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930)

DIRECTOR:
    Lewis Milestone

watch?v=1p7zmb1saqs

This movie won the Academy Awards for Best Picture in 1930 and rightly it did so.

Tagged as an "anti-war" film since it portrays the evils, realities and consequences of war.

School friends/classmates are sent to the trenches to join the German Army during World War I but their idealism turns into reality when they see what war does.

Poignant are the scenes especially where you see the soldiers idealism destroyed when they are at the war zone , how they cope with stress and how they deal with friends who have died or injured by war.

The movie doesn't give a name to it but one can assume that their anxieties are what we now call as "post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"You still think it's beautiful and sweet to die for your country , don't you? We used to think you knew. The first bombardment taught us better . It's dirty and painful to die for your country . When it comes to dying for your country, it's better not to die at all. Their are millions dying out there for their countries and what good is it?
    - Paul Baumer.

ACADEMY AWARDS
    Best Picture

Best Director:

Nominated:
    Cinematography

Writing
    Title: DAYS Of WINE AND ROSES
    Year: 1962
    Director: Blake Edwards
    Duration: approximately 138 mins

max1191360323-frontback-cover.jpg

black and white movie

stunning performance by Jack Lemmon as an alcoholic .

This 1962 movie garnered both Lemmon and Remnick citations as they were both nominated in the Oscars for Best Actor and Best Actress category.

Lemmon lost to Gregory Peck (To Kill A Mockingbird)

AWARDS:
    Academy:
    Best Original Song: Days of Wine and Roses - Henry Mancini

Nominations:
    Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Art Direction

Best Costume Design
    Title: Birdman
    Year: 2014
    Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu
    Rating: 10/10

birdman-movie-poster-5097.jpg

Riggan (Michael Keaton) an actor became famous for playing an iconic superhero (Birdman). Now as an "old" actor he struggles in opening a broadway play. His relationship with his daughter (Emma Stone) is restrained as she simply puts it as "he was never there there".

Will his broadway show be a flop or be a success ?

I love the movie since although it takes about a once-been-great actor it also applies to all people of every profession. Do we make ourselves count in life? Do we leave a mark or we simply don't exist?

Great performances by Michael Keaton (Oscar worthy role) ;he has been winning Best actor awards lately for his role ; Edward Norton ; and Emma Stone .

Watch out for the nude scene and "hardon" of Edward Norton you size queens". :)

• deegee81deegee81 Member ✭✭✭
    CasablancaPoster-Gold.jpg
    ha?di pala to nanalo ng best picture sa oscar's. :bop:
    deegee81 wrote: »
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/CasablancaPoster-Gold.jpg
    ha?di pala to nanalo ng best picture sa oscar's. :bop:

I don't know what article you're reading

Casablanca won best picture
  • JM4everJM4ever yourFavescouldNeverEver™ ✭✭✭
    Since I'm still waiting for Birdman...

Now watching: Babel (2006)
    Director: Alejandro Gonzales Innaritu
    Rating: 10/10

CAST:
    - Brad Pitt
    - Cate Blanchett
    - Gael Garcia Bernal
    - Adrianna Barazza
    - Rinko Kikuchi

OSCAR WIN:
    - Best Original Score (Gustavo Santaolalla)

OSCAR NOMS:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Film Editing
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Supporting Actress (Adrianna Barazza & Rinko Kikuchi)
    re-watching it for the nth time.

disney-mary-poppins.gif

Mary Poppins is a 1964 American musical fantasy film directed by Robert Stevenson and produced by Walt Disney, with songs written and composed by the Sherman Brothers. The screenplay is by Bill Walsh and Don DaGradi, loosely based on P. L. Travers' book series of the same name. The film, which combines live-action and animation, stars Julie Andrews in the titular role of a magical nanny who visits a dysfunctional family in London and employs her unique brand of lifestyle to improve the family's dynamic. **** Van ****, David Tomlinson, and Glynis Johns are featured in supporting roles. The film was shot entirely at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California.

Mary Poppins was released on August 27, 1964to universal acclaim, receiving a total of thirteen Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture—an unsurpassed record for any other film released by the Walt Disney Studios—and won five; Best Actress for Andrews, Best Film Editing, Best Original Music Score, Best Visual Effects, and Best Original Song for "Chim Chim Cher-ee". In 2013, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
    planning to watch this after christmas

PC167_MLPE_EN_SophiesChoice_1400x2100.jpg

Meryl Streep won Best Actress (1983)
    DVD

DURATION:
    Approx 120 minutes

DIRECTOR:
    Alfred Hitchcock

FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT (1940)

696_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

1941 Academy Awards
    Nominations:
    Best Picture (lost to Rebecca)

Best writing (original screenplay)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Albert Bassermann

Best Cinematography (black and white)

Best Art Direction ( black and white)

Best Special Effects
  • blackbolt44blackbolt44 Member PExer
    very nice list
    DVD

DURATION:
    Approximately 111 minutes

CAST:
    James Dean

Natalie Wood

Sal Mineo

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955)

91F9F1k5InL._SL1500_.jpg

1955 Academy Awards:
    Nominations:
    Best supporting actor - Sal Mineo

Best Supporting Actress - Natalie Wood

Best Writing - Nicholas Ray
    18806543.jpg

i've seen this 10x already

:heart::heart::heart:

The Sound of Music is a 1965 American musical film directed and produced by Robert Wise and starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. The film is derived from the Broadway musical The Sound of Music, with songs written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, the musical book written by the writing team of Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse, and the screenplay written by Ernest Lehman. Based on the book The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp, the film is about a young woman who leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the seven children of a naval officer widower. The Sound of Music contains several popular songs, including "Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Do-Re-Mi", "Sixteen Going on Seventeen", "The Lonely Goatherd", and the title song, "The Sound of Music".

The Sound of Music was filmed on location in Salzburg, Austria; the state of Bavaria in Germany; and at the 20th Century Fox studios in California, United States. It was photographed in the 70mm Todd-AO format by Ted D. McCord. The film won five Academy Awards including Best Picture and displaced Gone with the Wind as the highest-grossing film of all-time. The accompanying sound track album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Album of the Year.

In 2001, the United States Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the National Film Registry as it was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file