Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

Professional Tennis - WTA and ATP

Expelliarmus_27Expelliarmus_27 Moderator PEx Moderator
atp-wta-logos.png

Let's talk about anything about tennis in this thread. I've created this thread to consolidate everything about tennis

You may post news, tournament (Slam or non-Slam) schedules and results, photos, and general fantasy league updates.

I'll update this thread regularly :)

Comments

• Expelliarmus_27Expelliarmus_27 Moderator PEx Moderator
    China Open, Beijing, China
    wtaLogo.pnglargeimage_1020.jpg

1. Serena Williams
    2. Simona Halep
    3. Petra Kvitov?\
    4. Maria Sharapova
    5. Agnieszka Radwańska
    6. Caroline Wozniacki
    7. Angelique Kerber
    8. Eugenie Bouchard
    9. Ana Ivanovic
    10. Jelena Janković (First round)
    11. Sara Errani (First round)
    12. Ekaterina Makarova
    13. Lucie ?af?řov?\
    14. Flavia Pennetta
    15. Andrea Petkovic
    16. Venus Williams

China Open, Beijing, China
    main_logo.png0D6AD3B77BB948FBBC3473A3D91C1EFC.ashx

1. Novak Djokovic
    2. Rafael Nadal
    3. Tom?? Berdych
    4. Marin Čilić
    5. Grigor Dimitrov
    6. Andy Murray
    7. Ernests Gulbis
    8. John Isner

Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships, Tokyo, Japan
    main_logo.png3DE6C3E688F74A18AEFD6EB09D7FBB53.ashx

1. Stanislas Wawrinka
    2. David Ferrer
    3. Milos Raonic
    4. Kei Nishikori
    5. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
    6. Roberto Bautista Agut
    7. Kevin Anderson
    8. Alexandr Dolgopolov
    BwzQPqoIQAAOvXq.jpg:large

BxH6UaTIUAAgyiQ.jpg:large

Bxm2ggfCAAATiqF.jpg:large

Byhtu5bCYAArjwk.jpg:large

5 BOUCHARD, EUGENIE - Beijing 2R
    6 RADWANSKA, AGNIESZKA - Beijing 2R
    7 WOZNIACKI, CAROLINE - Beijing 2R
    8 IVANOVIC, ANA - Beijing 2R
    9 KERBER, ANGELIQUE - Beijing 2R
    10 CIBULKOVA, DOMINIKA - Beijing 2R
    11 MAKAROVA, EKATERINA - Beijing 2R
    12 ERRANI, SARA - Beijing 2R
    [highlight]13 JANKOVIC, JELENA - Lost Beijing 1R[/highlight]
    14 PENNETTA, FLAVIA - Beijing 2R
    Djokovic2.jpg
    fedblog.jpg
    london-finale-2013-saturday-nadal-award-angle.ashx

4. Stanislas Wawrinka - Tokyo R32
    5. Marin Cilic - Beijing R16
    6. Kei Nishikori - Tokyo R32
    7. David Ferrer - Lost in Tokyo R32
    8. Tomas Berdych - Beijing R32
    9. Milos Raonic - Tokyo R32
    10. Andy Murray - Beijing R32
    11. Grigor Dimitrov - Beijing R16
  • Do you play this tennis?
    And the field is set!

BwzQPqoIQAAOvXq.jpg:large

BxH6UaTIUAAgyiQ.jpg:large

Bxm2ggfCAAATiqF.jpg:large

Byhtu5bCYAArjwk.jpg:large

By96VaBIQAA8Er9.jpg

By9yKhlCMAA1D0v.jpg

By94TsaCAAAGDP6.jpg

By96H8jIYAAzYlv.jpg

SERENAMARIASIMONAPETRAANAGENIEAGACARO
    2014 WTA FINALS - October 17 to October 26, 2014 - Singapore Indoor Stadium, Singapore

0,,12781~13157477,00.jpg
    Maria-Sharapova-Beijing-2014-China-Open-img23361_668.jpglargeimage_1020.jpg

BEIJING, China - Maria Sharapova conjured up some of her three-setter magic in the final of the China Open on Sunday, rallying past Petra Kvitova for the Premier Mandatory-level title, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.

Watch highlights, interviews and more video from Beijing right here on wtatennis.com!

Sharapova cruised through to the final without dropping a set, and after tucking the first set away with no drama, it looked as though that trend was going to continue. But the No.3-seeded Kvitova started finding the mark on her huge serve and groundstrokes from the start of the second set, striking 15 winners to just nine unforced errors to take it in 43 minutes and push the title match to a decider.

The No.4-seeded Sharapova would strike back in the third though, racing out to a 3-0 lead and, after missing her first match point opportunity at 5-2 with an inside out forehand into the net, serving the match out at love at 5-3, finishing it on a big serve that drew a Kvitova backhand into the net.

"It was a bit of an up-and-down match I'd say - maybe not the best out of the tournament," Sharapova said in her press conference. "But it's never easy playing against Petra. You don't always quite get a good rhythm. She goes for a lot of shots, very deep, and she's a very good, confident player.

"I knew she'd been on a roll in the last couple of weeks. It's probably the toughest opponent you can face in a final, that's had that success, yet you just want to focus on your side, what you do best.

"She became the more aggressive player in the second set. I think I took a few too many steps back and let her play that way. But I was able to lift my game again in the third and come out with a win."

It was an even more impressive rebound for Sharapova given she fell early in Wuhan last week.

"It was a disappointing result for me in Wuhan," she said. "I thought I was ready for the tournament and wanted to compete. I just didn't end up with a positive result. Within the time frame of only a couple of days until my first round here, I just had to settle down a bit. Sometimes it just takes a few little things to change things around - maybe some of those results ultimately get you to this position.

"I'm proud I just took a couple of days and did the work I could, and changed the result here."

Sharapova now has four WTA titles this year - Stuttgart, Madrid, Roland Garros and Beijing - which ties her for second-most this year alongside Ana Ivanovic. Serena Williams leads the tour with six.

Additionally, the Russian will rise from No.4 to No.2 on the WTA Rankings, trailing only Williams.

Kvitova was probably a little tired on the day - she went all the way to the title in Wuhan last week and extended that unbeaten run to the final here - but she was as gracious a runner-up as ever.

"Yeah, I was tired, but it was a final, and every time I'm playing a final, I'm giving everything I have inside," Kvitova commented. "What I did today was a great battle. It was small things and small points that made the difference in the end. I had some chances, but Maria just didn't let them go.

"She just played really well. And we played two and a half, so I hope the fans enjoyed it too."
    0B115A05FBF14C94BE6BAA2BEFF18C94.ashx3DE6C3E688F74A18AEFD6EB09D7FBB53.ashx

Kei Nishikori captured his second Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships title on Sunday to further improve his chances of becoming the first Asian player to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals next month.

Nishikori defeated fellow London hopeful Milos Raonic, the same player he beat for the 2012 Tokyo title, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4 under a closed roof at the Ariake Colosseum. The final lasted two hours and 13 minutes.

Nishikori is currently No. 5 in the Emirates ATP Race To London, 540 points behind No. 4-ranked Stan Wawrinka. Raonic is placed at No. 8. Five of the eight singles spots remain up for grabs at the prestigious season finale, to be held at The O2 in London from 9-16 November. Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have booked their places.

"I hope to get to London," said Nishikori. "I am getting close, but there are two more [ATP World Tour] Masters 1000s and 500s left. These next few weeks will be really important for me."

Nishikori has won back-to-back ATP World Tour titles for the first time, having lifted the Kuala Lumpur crown (d. Benneteau) last week. Four of his seven trophies have come in 2014.

The 24-year-old Japanese star received $296,850 in prize money and earned 500 Emirates ATP Rankings points.

"He was serving really well, with a lot of aces," said Nishikori. "Luckily I got the first tie-break and that helped my motivation for the match. If I had lost the tie-break, I might have screwed up the whole match. He started aggressively and I think it was one of my toughest games against Milos. I am really happy to win. He had a lot of chances in the third set; he almost broke my serve a couple of times.

"It’s the first time I have won a title two weeks in a row. After the US Open, it was hard to maintain my motivation. I had to stay strong and focused, especially this week when I wasn’t feeling 100 per cent.

"Michael has raised my level. We have practised more on the court and also physical work. Beating a few Top 10 guys over the past year has helped my confidence."

Three-time Tokyo finalist Raonic, 23, is now 6-6 in finals. He earned $133,830 and 300 points.

"It is disappointing to lose in my third straight [Tokyo] final," said Raonic. "To be honest with you, other than the first year [2012] I felt I created my opportunities. Against Kei, he just played better when it came down to the third set [in 2012]. I have felt I have always been in the thick of things the past two years, so I would say two years ago was more disappointing."

With typhoon Phanfone advancing towards Tokyo early Sunday morning, organisers had no option but to close the retractable roof on an already fast Center Court. In the first set, Nishikori’s only half-chance of a break came in the ninth game, when Raonic got out of trouble at 4-4, 0/30.

Nishikori took a 3/1 lead in the tie-break, with aggressive tennis that belied the physical difficulties – hip and lower back – he has endured this week. But Raonic recovered to 4/4. On Nishikori’s first set point opportunity, on Raonic’s serve at 5/6, the Japanese hit an angled slice off a big first serve. Raonic approached the net, striking down the line, but Nishikori reacted quickly to whip a forehand crosscourt winner into space to clinch the 46-minute set.

Raonic responded by playing closer to the baseline. He came close to breaking Nishikori at 2-2, 30/40, but slow movement to a forehand saw him mis-time the stroke into the net. But Nishikori was soon under pressure again. At 3-3, 30/40, Raonic rushed the net with a deep groundstroke, which forced Nishikori back to hit a perfectly timed lob winner. Two points later, Nishikori struck a backhand into the net to give Raonic hit first service break. Raonic lost five of his service points in the 44-minute second set.

Team NishikoriIn the decider, it was Nishikori who applied pressure. Raonic wriggled out of danger at 15/40 and Ad Out in the second game, while he won four straight points from 0/30 at 3-4. With victory in sight, Nishikori was aggressive and took the ball early to set up three set points on Raonic’s serve when he led 5-4. Ten thousand spectators in the Ariake Colosseum celebrated his win. Nishikori was in tears when he hugged his coach, Michael Chang.

"It was a great match," said Raonic. "We both played a high level of tennis. At the beginning, the match was passing by really quick, but in the second and third set it was really good. He has been playing with a lot of confidence, he went for his shots and it paid off.

"I am playing at a really high level. Kei has, consistently over the past few weeks, also played at a high level. The match was high quality and I look forward to the next challenge in Shanghai. I need to turn up there with the right attitude and fight again."
    D3E6C396A5AF4B49845DFAD62F146819.ashx0D6AD3B77BB948FBBC3473A3D91C1EFC.ashx

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic improved to a 24-0 mark at the China Open as he won his fifth title in Beijing with a masterclass performance to defeat Tomas Berdych 6-0, 6-2 on Sunday.

The Serb has not dropped a set all week in adding to the trophies he won in 2009 (d. Cilic), 2010 (d. Ferrer), 2012 (d. Tsonga) and 2013 (d. Nadal). Djokovic receives 500 Emirates ATP Rankings points and $604,000.

Top seed Djokovic looked on course for a double bagel scoreline as he served for the match at 5-0 in the second set. But Berdych, having already offered his racquet to a ball kid in desperation, dug in to restore some pride before Djokovic served out victory at the second attempt in 67 minutes.

"This has been, in the circumstances, probably the best performance of any final in my career," said Djokovic. "It was incredible. Incredible. Especially against Tomas, who has a big game and is already an experienced player. It was 6-0, 5-0 in under an hour. Everything I tried worked. To be proud of the performance is the least I can say of how I played tonight.

"I have played some great finals, had some convincing wins, some straight-set wins against top rivals. But with this kind of performance and with this domination result-wise, I mean it's never happened."

In the pair’s first meeting this season, Djokovic improved to a 16-2 lead in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series. The 29-year-old Berdych had been chasing valuable points in the Emirates ATP Race To London. The Czech is up to No. 7 after reaching the Beijing final and maintained his position with Milos Raonic also losing in the Tokyo final.

"I met somebody in the final who I've never seen before," said Berdych, who won the Beijing title in 2011 (d. Cilic). "The way that he performed today was really outstanding. There is really not much I can add to that because, really, I was just swept off the court.

"I just said to my coach now that I probably played over 700 matches in my career, and I met guys like Andre, Roger, all those probably in their best times. But I have never, ever experienced anything like that."

"It's definitely flattering to hear something like that coming from a player who has been around for so many years, an established Top 10 player," said Djokovic.

The 27-year-old Djokovic captured an ATP World Tour-best fifth tour-level title of the year and the 46th of his career. The Belgrade native was victorious at Wimbledon (d. Federer) and three ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments in Indian Wells (d. Federer), Miami (d. Nadal) and Rome (d. Nadal).

Djokovic will now look to extend his winning run by three-peating at next week’s Shanghai Rolex Masters. The Serb spoke at the start of his Beijing campaign of his desire to finish the season at World No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings. He will be looking to cement his position atop the pile by winning his 20th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown and learned on Sunday that he will face Dominic Thiem in the second round.
    [highlight]Generali Ladies Linz, Linz, Austria
    Defending Champion: Angelique Kerber[/highlight]
    wtaLogo.pnglargeimage_528.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Eugenie Bouchard
    2. Ana Ivanovic
    3. Dominika Cibulkov?\
    4. Andrea Petkovic
    5. Sabine Lisicki
    6. Barbora Z?hlavov?-Str?cov?\
    7. Karol?na Pl??kov?\
    8. Caroline Garcia

[highlight]Japan Women's Open Tennis, Osaka, Japan
    Defending Champion: Samantha Stosur[/highlight]
    wtaLogo.png250px-Hpologo2009.jpg

Seeds:
    1. STOSUR, Samantha
    2. KEYS, Madison
    3. SVITOLINA, Elina
    4. VANDEWEGHE, CoCo
    5. DIYAS, Zarina
    6. WATSON, Heather
    7. MCHALE, Christina
    8. DAVIS, Lauren

[highlight]Tianjin Open - Tianjin, China
    First Edition[/highlight]
    wtaLogo.pnglargeimage_1076.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Jelena Jankovic
    2. Peng Shuai
    3. Belinda Bencic
    4. Varvara Lepchenko
    5. Zhang Shuai
    6. Alison Riske
    7. Monica Puig
    8. Alja Tomljanovic

[highlight]Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai, China
    Defending Champion: Novak Djokovic[/highlight]
    main_logo.png331B647E54684FE3A17386475348AA4E.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Novak Djokovic
    2. Rafael Nadal
    3. Roger Federer
    4. Stan Wawrinka
    5. David Ferrer
    6. Tom?? Berdych
    7. Kei Nishikori
    8. Milos Raonic
    0,,12781~13181328,00.jpglargeimage_528.jpg

LINZ, Austria - In a final pitting WTA Rising Star against WTA Rising Star, it was Karolina Pliskova who came out on top against Camila Giorgi for the Generali Ladies Linz title - but just barely.

After letting a 5-3 lead go en route to dropping the first set in a tie-break, Pliskova came out firing from the beginning of the second set, storming ahead 4-0 and eventually taking the set, 6-3, and then again storming out to a 5-1 lead in the third set, seemingly on her merry way to a runaway victory.

Giorgi found her game again - game by game she started building a comeback, winning five games in a row to go up 6-5 and even holding a match point in the third with Pliskova serving 5-6, ad-out.

But the No.7-seeded Pliskova got her mojo back just in time, hanging on to that service game and from 4-all in the tie-break sneaking out three straight points to close the match out, 6-7(4), 6-3, 7-6(4).

"It could have been a little easier, but I'm still happy I won the title," Pliskova said. "After I was 5-1 up and she came back and had match point, I was already thinking I would lose, and that I would cry afterwards! But she was playing so well in that part of the third set. Before that she was making so many mistakes, but she stopped doing that and calmed down, and she played so much better there.

"Before the match I knew it would be hard because she hadn't lost a set all week."

Pliskova now has three WTA titles, having won Kuala Lumpur last year and Seoul just a few weeks ago. She's one of the hottest players of the fall - she's won 16 of 19 matches since the US Open.

The big-serving Czech is also the third player to win a WTA title from match point down this year, after Li Na (who saved one against Lucie Safarova in the third round of the Australian Open) and Aliz? Cornet (who saved a match point in the final of Katowice against - coincidentally - Giorgi).

But she says she's still got room for improvement. "There are always things to improve. My movement isn't that great. And my serve can be up and down sometimes, so we'll have to practice that a little bit more. I'll have to do some strength conditioning and running, too. I'm looking forward to it."

Giorgi is now 0-2 in her career in WTA finals - though clearly she's on the verge of a breakthrough.

The doubles final saw Raluca Olaru and Anna Tatishvili cruise past Annika Beck and Caroline Garcia in 52 minutes, 6-2, 6-1. It was the first time Olaru and Tatishvili won a WTA doubles title together - it was Olaru's fourth WTA doubles title and in fact Tatishvili's first WTA title of any kind in her career.
    0,,12781~13180580,00.jpg250px-Hpologo2009.jpg

OSAKA, Japan - Last year Samantha Stosur made the Japan Women's Open Tennis the first tournament she's ever won twice, and she continued to make it her favorite stomping grounds this year, edging Zarina Diyas in the final on Sunday to lift her third career title at the International event.

A day after grinding out a tight two-setter against Elina Svitolina in the semifinals, Stosur had to do it all over again against another WTA Rising Star in Diyas, who broke serve in the first game of the match and rode it to leads of 3-1, 4-2 and 5-3 in the first set - and after Stosur got the break back and battled her way to a tie-break, Diyas even brought up two set points, first at 6-5 and another at 7-6.

But the No.5-seeded Diyas just couldn't get over the finish line and the No.1-seeded Stosur staved them both off, eventually sneaking out the set and breaking in the first game of the second set. She would never lose serve again and broke one last time in the final game to close it out, 7-6(7), 6-3.

Stosur's serve may have been the shot of the match - after getting broken in the opening game of the match she held all nine of her other service games, fighting off all three break points she faced.

At the end of the day, Stosur collected her first WTA title of the year, and the sixth of her career after Osaka in 2009, Charleston in 2010, the US Open in 2011 and Carlsbad and Osaka in 2013.

"It's great to win a title, and I left it pretty late to try and win one this year, so better late than never!" Stosur said after the match. "But I really love playing this tournament. Three times now - it's just a great feeling to come back here each year, and if you win the title then it's even better, obviously!"

It was a dream week at the Japan Women's Open Tennis for Diyas too, though - before this week she had never been to a WTA semifinal, let alone a WTA final. Also this week, the Kazakhstani was named as one of the four players competing at the WTA Rising Stars Invitational, which is set to take place in Singapore in conjunction with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global.

"Out of the five girls I played this week I'd never played four of them, so quite a few young ones here," Stosur said. "Zarina's quite a good player. I'd never seen her play too much before, but I can see why she's one of the WTA Rising Stars, and I really had to play some good tennis to beat her today."

The doubles final saw Shuko Aoyama and Renata Voracova beat Lara Arruabarrena and Tatjana Maria, 6-1, 6-2. It was their first title together; Aoyama now has five WTA doubles titles, Voracova nine.
    0,,12781~13181030,00.jpglargeimage_1076.jpg

TIANJIN, China - Alison Riske captured the first WTA title of her career on Sunday, holding off a late surge from WTA Rising Star Belinda Bencic to win the inaugural edition of the Tianjin Open.

The No.6-seeded Riske - who had dropped just one game in her semifinal match against another WTA Rising Star, Zheng Saisai - came out swinging again a day later, her big serve and even bigger ground game launching her to a 6-3, 4-1 lead. The No.3-seeded Bencic wasn't about to go away, running off the next three games to even the second set, 4-all, and even getting to break point in the next game.

But Riske regrouped just in time, holding serve then breaking once more to close it out, 6-3, 6-4.

"It's a huge accomplishment for me to win my first WTA title," Riske said after the match, "and I was here by myself, which made it even more special, just to know that I was able to do it by myself.

"I hope I can keep up the momentum and try to compete every week as best as I can."

Riske also showed an even more gracious side when asked about Bencic's second set fightback.

"Obviously there was a little momentum change in the second set," she said, "but that was because Belinda upped her level at that point. She's been playing so well this year and has a really bright future ahead of her. I knew coming into the match that it would be a battle and it really was."

She was also asked about the tournament's motto: "Begin The Dream; Battle Your Heart".

"I would look at it every day when I came in the door," the American said. "I was like, 'That's a really good saying.' I really liked it. And it's so true. It's just a great saying.

"They should hang that at every tournament!"

The 17-year-old Bencic was playing the first WTA final of her career and was trying to become the youngest player to win a WTA title since a 15-year-old Tamira Paszek won in Portoroz in 2006.
    80319C42DE7F4523946EA1289D8324D4.ashx331B647E54684FE3A17386475348AA4E.ashx

Roger Federer claimed the elusive Shanghai Rolex Masters crown on Sunday as he won his 23rd ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title with a 7-6(6), 7-6(2) victory over Gilles Simon.

The Swiss will return to World No. 2 in the Emirates ATP Rankings on Monday and victory in Shanghai sees him close the gap on Novak Djokovic in the battle to finish year-end World No. 1.

The 33-year-old Federer captured his fourth title of the season and his second ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown, having also triumphed at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati (d. Ferrer). Rafael Nadal is the all-time titles leader with 27 Masters 1000 trophies, but Federer leads the way with a 309-89 win-loss record in this category.

Federer had nearly been beaten at the first hurdle in Shanghai. Returning after a three-week break, the Swiss was forced to save five match points against Leonardo Mayer in a dramatic second-round contest at the Qi Zhong Tennis Center.

"It makes me very happy winning here because this tournament means a lot to me," said Federer. "I've always enjoyed coming here. I've come close a couple of times, but I've always wanted to win it as a Masters 1000.

"I feel unbelievable prestige to win this event. Especially putting my hands on the trophy for the first time is a good feeling, I must say. I'm very happy with the way I'm playing. Overall I'm just extremely happy right now."

After a stellar performance to beat Djokovic in Saturday’s semi-finals, Federer vowed he would not suffer a letdown against Simon, but struggled early on. The Swiss contributed three unforced errors as Simon broke his serve in the first game of the final, but rallied from 3-5 down to draw level in the opener. Federer was denied two set points as Simon trailed 5-6, 15/40, as the Frenchman dug deep to force a tie-break.

Federer then relinquished a 5-3 lead in the tie-break as Simon fought back to earn a set point at 6-5. Federer quickly dispelled the danger with two unreturned serves, and clinched his third set point chance with a backhand pass up the line.

Simon left the court for a medical timeout on his injured groin at the end of the first set, but returned to frustrate Federer once more in the second set. The Frenchman denied Federer on chance after chance, saving two break points in the third game and another in the seventh game.

The right-hander then had the chance to force a decider as he drew a backhand error from Federer to lead 40/15 on the Swiss’ serve at 5-6. Two forehand errors from Simon granted Federer a reprieve on the set points, though, and the Basel native made sure he capitalised on his momentum. He opened up a 6-2 lead in the tie-break and converted his first match point as Simon netted his shot after one hour and 53 minutes. The match was played under a closed roof due to high winds in Shanghai.

Federer earned 1000 Emirates ATP Rankings points and $798,540 in prize money as he improved to a 5-2 lead over Simon in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series.

The 29-year-old Simon was bidding to win his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown, having finished runner-up to Andy Murray in his first final six years ago in Madrid, when the event was held on indoor hard. After returning to the Top 30 in the Emirates ATP Rankings this week after a semi-final showing in Tokyo (l. to Raonic), former World No. 6 Simon is now projected to climb back into the Top 20 at No. 19 on Monday.

"He was just more opportunistic," said Simon. "We had a close match. I had a set point in the first, two in the second. It's just a few points deciding it, and he was always really good on these points. He played some great shots.

"He's putting a lot of pressure. He's always showing you that he is ready to be really aggressive on every shot. So he keeps you under pressure."

The Frenchman had knocked out two Barclays ATP World Tour Finals contenders in reaching the Shanghai final, upsetting Stan Wawrinka in the second round and Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals. He has a 27-23 win-loss record in 2014.
    [highlight]BGL BNP Paribas Luxembourg Open, Luxembourg, LUXEMBOURG
    Defending Champion: Caroline Wozniacki[/highlight]

wtaLogo.pnglargeimage_233.jpg

Seeds:
    1. Andrea Petkovic
    2. Aliz? Cornet
    3. Sabine Lisicki
    4. Barbora Z?hlavov?-Str?cov?\
    5. Varvara Lepchenko
    6. Roberta Vinci
    7. Kirsten Flipkens
    8. Monica Niculescu

[highlight]Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow, Moscow, RUSSIA
    Defending Champion: Simona Halep[/highlight]

wtaLogo.png96AADBF7F32849B49756754858D9BCA4.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Dominika Cibulkov?\
    2. Ekaterina Makarova
    3. Flavia Pennetta
    4. Lucie ?af?řov?\
    5. Svetlana Kuznetsova
    6. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
    7. Karol?na Pl??kov?\
    8. Caroline Garcia

[highlight]Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow, Moscow, RUSSIA
    Defending Champion: Richard Gasquet[/highlight]

main_logo.png96AADBF7F32849B49756754858D9BCA4.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Milos Raonic
    2. Marin Čilić
    3. Ernests Gulbis
    4. Fabio Fognini
    5. Roberto Bautista Agut
    6. Tommy Robredo
    7. Mikhail Youzhny
    8. Andreas Seppi

[highlight]If Stockholm Open, Stockholm, Sweden
    Defending Champion: Grigor Dimitrov[/highlight]

main_logo.png7AD8487C045349A5A794E1ABD46C83B7.ashx

Seeds:
    1. Tom?? Berdych
    2. Grigor Dimitrov
    3. Kevin Anderson
    4. Alexandr Dolgopolov
    5. Leonardo Mayer
    6. J?r?my Chardy
    7. Fernando Verdasco
    8. Jo?o Sousa

[highlight]Erste Bank Open, Vienna, Austria
    Defending Champion: Tommy Haas[/highlight]

main_logo.png6B9C58DBD475464A9635E449C6748876.ashx

Seeds:
    1. David Ferrer
    2. Andy Murray
    3. Feliciano L?pez
    4. Philipp Kohlschreiber
    5. Luk?? Rosol
    6. Ivo Karlović
    7. Guillermo Garc?a-L?pez
    8. Dominic Thiem
    9C0E0ED844BF4E05897E4A38A91D1922.ashx

Stan Wawrinka has qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the second year in a row. Following the release of the draws for next week’s events in Stockholm, Vienna and Moscow, the Swiss is now assured of his place among the elite eight at the season finale. Wawrinka is the fourth player to qualify and will join Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in the elite eight-man field at the prestigious event, to be held at The O2 in London from 9-16 November.

Having reached the semi-finals on his debut in London last year, Wawrinka built on the experience to post a career-best campaign in 2014. The Swiss won his first Grand Slam championship at the Australian Open in January, beating Djokovic in five sets in the quarter-finals and Nadal in the final. Three months later, he triumphed over Federer in the final of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters to earn his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown. He also won the Aircel Chennai Open in India in the first week of the 2014 ATP World Tour season.

"I'm extremely happy to be back in London," said Wawrinka. "It was my dream and goal to qualify again this year after the great experience in 2013. It's only my second time at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals and being part of this great event remains a childhood dream for me. The atmosphere in London is one of a kind and it means a lot to me to be there together with the very best players of the world."

Just three weeks remain in the regular ATP World Tour season, with valuable points to be earned at three ATP World Tour 250s in Moscow, Stockholm and Vienna next week, and then at the 500s in Basel and Valencia before the final event of the regular season, the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Paris. Kei Nishikori, Marin Cilic, Tomas Berdych, Milos Raonic, David Ferrer, Andy Murray and Grigor Dimitrov are some of the players in the hunt for the last four spots.

As the only not-yet-qualified Grand Slam champion, US Open winner Cilic will automatically earn the fifth spot next week, unless Berdych wins the Stockholm title or Raonic lifts the trophy in Moscow. The Croat is competing alongside Raonic in Moscow. Nishikori is not in action next week, but Ferrer and Murray are both looking to add valuable points as wild cards and the top two seeds in Vienna, while Dimitrov is the defending champion in Stockholm.
    0,,12781~13195984,00.jpglargeimage_233.jpg

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg - A year after coming up short in her first WTA final there against Caroline Wozniacki, Annika Beck came back to the BGL BNP Paribas Luxembourg Open on a mission - and this time she went all the way to the first WTA title of her career, not even dropping a set all week.

Beck did come close to dropping a set in her first two matches, though. She was down double set point in the first set tie-break of her 7-6(6), 6-3 first round victory over Timea Bacsinszky, and another one down 5-4 in the first set of her 7-5, 6-0 second round victory against No.6 seed Roberta Vinci.

But once she got out of those it was plain sailing - a 6-2, 6-2 win over Patricia Mayr-Achleitner in the quarterfinals, a 46-minute, 6-0, 6-1 clinic against Czech qualifier Denisa Allertova in the semis and finally a 6-2, 6-1 win over No.4 seed Barbora Zahlavova Strycova in the championship match.

The final was much tougher than the scoreline would suggest, however - Zahlavova Strycova had game point in five of the 12 games Beck won, and the match lasted a fairly beefy hour and 33 minutes.

"I just tried to stay focused on myself and kept fighting, because Barbora was fighting all the time," Beck said. "She's a really good player with an aggressive game - she likes coming to the net a lot, so I had to watch out for that throughout the match. But I got a good start and managed to keep going.

"It was a close final with a lot of close games, and I'm happy it turned out for me."

And on her first WTA title? "It's an amazing feeling to win my first WTA title," she said. "I played the final last year and I said I'd do anything to win the title this year, and it's an unbelievable feeling to actually do it. I enjoyed every moment I had on the center court here. It's really exciting."

It was still a great week - and great season - for Zahlavova Strycova, from her breakthrough month on grass, reaching her first Premier final at Birmingham and first Grand Slam quarterfinal at Wimbledon, right through to the end of the year, reaching her fifth WTA final in Luxembourg this week.

"I'm sad today, but overall it was a great, great week," Zahlavova Strycova said. "I was playing well this week. I had my chances today too - unfortunately I couldn't take them, but this is sport.

"This was my last match of the season and I'm looking forward to the next couple of days!"

Beck's first round conquest, Bacsinszky, still leaves with a trophy - she and Kristina Barrois upset No.3 seeds Lucie Hradecka and Barbora Krejcikova to capture the doubles title, 3-6, 6-4, 10-4.

Bacsinszky won her fourth WTA doubles title while Barrois got her first WTA title of any kind.
    anastasia-pavlychenkova-wta-tour-kremlin-cup_3218623.jpg?2014101914142496AADBF7F32849B49756754858D9BCA4.ashx

MOSCOW, Russia - In a field with four of the Top 20 players in the world it was the World No.30 who finished first place, as Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova won the Premier-level Kremlin Cup in Moscow.

Watch highlights, interviews and more video from Moscow right here on wtatennis.com!

Pavlyuchenkova didn't end up facing any of those Top 20 players. Three of them - Dominika Cibulkova, Ekaterina Makarova and Flavia Pennetta - lost their opening matches, and the last one left, Lucie Safarova, bowed out in the semifinals. But Pavlyuchenkova had to take on several of the inspired underdogs who picked them off, most notably her opponent in the final, Irina-Camelia Begu, who was actually responsible for beating both Makarova in the second round and Safarova in the semis.

And Begu brought her A-game to the final, going up a break in the first set and, after Pavlyuchenkova came back and won that set, jumping out to an early 3-1 lead and eventually taking the second set.

But the No.6-seeded Pavlyuchenkova saved her best tennis for the third set, soaring out to a 5-0 lead and eventually closing the championship match out after two hours and 29 minutes, 6-4, 5-7, 6-1.

"I think I was playing well at the beginning, so I got that break and went up 4-1, but then Irina probably got a little bit more relaxed and started serving a lot better," Pavlyuchenkova said afterwards. "She served well the whole match actually, so it wasn't easy to break her at all in the match today.

"After the second set I knew I had to be more energetic and intense out there. I knew I had to play my aggressive game and just do something, otherwise she'd be too good. She was playing so well the whole week. The surface really fit her game. I just needed to stop thinking about the score and go for it.

"I'm happy I could regroup in the third set and win this title at home. I'm extremely happy."

It was the seventh WTA title of Pavlyuchenkova's career, following triumphs at Monterrey and Istanbul in 2010, Monterrey in 2011, Monterrey and Oeiras in 2013 and Paris [Indoors] earlier this year. It was also the equal-biggest title of her career - Paris [Indoors] was also a Premier-level tournament.

Also, she's the fourth Russian woman to win the Kremlin Cup in the tournament's 21-year history, after Anastasia Myskina (2003 and 2004), Anna Chakvetadze (2006) and Elena Dementieva (2007).

"I'm super delighted," Pavlyuchenkova said. "It's the best way to finish the season for me - winning the title at home, and now I have seven in my career. I couldn't be happier with how the week went."

And so, the Russian's season comes to a close - how does she look back at the last 10 months?

"It was a special year. It was a little bit strange, because there were a lot of ups and downs, but I started really well by winning the Premier title in Paris and beating a lot of good players there, and after some downs I've managed to finish the season well and give it my all for the last tournament.

"At the end of every season I say the next season will be better, but it's hard to predict something like that, so this time I'm not going to predict anything," Pavlyuchenkova added. "I'll just rest well and relax for a little while now, and then head back and work hard and get ready for the next season."

It was still a dream week for Begu, though. She had never been to the quarterfinals of a Premier, let alone a final, and she had never beaten multiple Top 20 players at the same event in her career.

The Romanian, a former WTA Newcomer Of The Year, breaks back into the Top 50 with the result.
    0D30EB05DE554B12A15AFB1E784C430B.ashx96AADBF7F32849B49756754858D9BCA4.ashx

Marin Cilic will make his Barclays ATP World Tour Finals debut next month, but first the Croat had business to take care of in Moscow.

The latest qualifier of the season finale, Cilic topped Roberto Bautista Agut 6-4, 6-4 for the Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow title on Sunday.

The 26 year old won his first title since claiming his maiden Grand Slam championship at the US Open six weeks ago, improving to 54-18 this year. Only Roger Federer owns more match victories (61) on the ATP World Tour. It was the second seed’s fourth crown in 2014, 13th overall and sixth on indoor hard. He also emerged victorious in Delray Beach and on home soil at the PBZ Zagreb Indoors this year.

"After winning such a big tournament as a Grand Slam you have a lot of emotions and it’s important to bounce back and keep going," said Cilic. "I feel this is going to be a really good push for my career. All the titles are special but this one will definitely have an important spot. It is important for my progress.

"After winning big titles, players are very motivated to play better and they are playing more [risky]. I felt also that this week I had a lot of tough matches and I was able to stay in the battle and bring on my best tennis.

"Next week I have a week off and then I will be preparing for Bercy (BNP Paribas Masters). Two very big tournaments coming up for me in Bercy and London (Barclays ATP World Tour Finals). I have to be motivated to do well."

Cilic saved three break points in his opening service game of the match and would secure a break of his own in the seventh game, for a 4-3 lead. After staving off a late charge from Bautista Agut, who pressed to level the opener, the Croat snatched the first set and would claim an immediate break to begin the second. He would hold on for the win after 84 minutes, firing 10 aces and saving all six break points faced.

Cilic, who became the second Croatian champion in Moscow, following coach Goran Ivanisevic’s triumph in 1996, rallied from a set down in defeating 2013 runner-up Mikhail Kukushkin in Saturday’s semi-finals. He takes home $140,750 in prize money and 250 Emirates ATP Rankings points.

The US Open winner became the fifth to qualify for the season finale at The O2 in London following the release of the Valencia Open 500 draw. He may finish in the Top 7 of the Emirates ATP Race To London, or he will be the highest-ranked 2014 Grand Slam champion to finish between 8th and 20th, and therefore would claim the eighth and final spot.

Bautista Agut, who receives $74,130 and 150 Emirates ATP Rankings points for his efforts, was seeking his third trophy of the year on three different surfaces. The Spaniard prevailed on the grass of ‘s-Hertogenbosch in June, followed by a title run on the clay of Stuttgart in July.

Cilic will next contest the BNP Paribas Masters in one week, while Bautista Agut is seeded sixth at the upcoming Valencia Open 500, beginning Monday. The 26 year old opens against Santiago Giraldo.