PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

PBA 2014-2015 (40th Season) Predictions Thread

pepsipunkpepsipunk Ghost stories. PExer
Good day, guys.

This thread is for all of the predictions for the upcoming PBA 2014-2015 (40th Season) particularly the conferences (Philippine Cup, Commissioner's Cup and the Governors' Cup)

Post all of your predictions about the 12 teams, who will step up, who will you expect to be the leader and the scorer of this season.

I will start the predictions for the upcoming Philippine Cup (not unless there will be a series of trades and free agent signings before the season starts):

TITLE CONTENDERS

1. San Mig Super Coffee Mixers
Key Players: Justin Melton, Rafi Reavis, PJ Simon, Ian Sangalang, Alex Mallari, Marc Barroca, Marc Pingris, James Yap, Allein Maliksi and Joe Devance
- I'm still expecting SMC to be the perennial contenders this season especially this Philippine Cup. Mas malakas pa nga tong San Mig na ito kasi Allein Maliksi is back and healthy. Expecting this season will be more of the young guys (Melton, Sangalang, Mallari, Barroca, Maliksi, Taha) as they will be the future of this franchise. More time for this guys, as their older and veteran players like Reavis, Simon, Yap, Pingris and Devance will have a decrease in minutes in order for these young guys to be more exposed and have more experience. Of course, you will still rely on your veterans in the crunchtime situations. A perfect balance of veterans and young players make a deadly team, deadlier.

2. Rain or Shine Elasto Painters
Key Players: Jeff Chan, Jireh Ibanes, Beau Belga, JR Quinahan, Paul Lee, Gabe Norwood, Larry Rodriguez, TY Tang, Jervy Cruz, Chris Tiu
- With or without Paul Lee, this team is a title contender. Pero since bumalik si Paul sa ROS, mas contender na tong team na to especially they have two great rookies in Alas and Cruz. Di ko lang alam paano magagain nila Alas and Cruz ang kanilang playing time especially ang loaded na ng guards/wings ng team na ito. This team is a young team, but loaded with experience. Matagal na rin silang magkakasama and di masyadong nagagalaw yung mga "core players" ng team, kaya mas delikado sila this year.

3. Talk n Text Tropang Texters
Key Players: Jimmy Alapag, Harvey Carey, Jayson Castro, Nino Canaleta, Ryan Reyes, Larry Fonacier, Ranidel de Ocampo, Danny Seigle, Kelly Williams
- Pinaka-veteran na team na siguro to this season. Almost all of their core players are getting older, but they can still have it. Luckily, may mga young pieces naman na sila like Jason Castro and Noy Baclao to begin with for the future, but the rest, puro mga beterano na. Wala namang masama sa roster nila ngayon especially if they are thinking about the present, but if they are thinking about the future, they should slowly start to ship or expose younger players.

4. San Miguel Beermen
Key Players: Chris Ross, Chris Lutz, Marcio Lassiter, Sol Mercado, Junemar Fajardo, Doug Kramer, Arwind Santos, Rico Maierhofer
- I'm torn among San Miguel Beermen, Alaska Aces and Ginebra San Miguel to be the 4th team I will consider as a title contender this season (or this conference at least), but I will place San Miguel Beermen because of their athletic and talented line-up. This team might be the strongest (in paper), and with Leo Austria being their coach, baka maganda ang ikakahantong ng team na ito. Medyo bata pa ang core players nila which is a good thing for the future, but considering now, they are talented and gagaling pa. I'm expecting San Miguel Beermen to be a serious threat to the titles this season. I hope Coach Leo can balance the players' minutes and have a great chemistry.

DARK HORSES
5. Alaska Aces
Key Players: Calvin Abueva, Chris Banchero, Cyrus Baguio, Sonny Thoss, Vic Manuel, Dondon Hontiveros, Gabby Espinas, RJ Jazul, Tony dela Cruz, JV Casio
- This team will give the contenders a run for their money, I am sure of that. Looking at this line-up, this team is capable of being a dark horse and having a big shot to be finalists this year or semi-finalists. Giving upsets to the contending teams like San Miguel, Talk n Text, Rain or Shine and San Mig Coffee. Considering the mix of their young and talented core, and the very much experienced veterans. Ang problema ko lang, naka-pag adjust na kaya sila? Will Alex Compton still use the triangle offense na pinasikat ng Alaska under Tim Cone and Luigi Trillo?

6. Barangay Ginebra San Miguel
Key Players: LA Tenorio, Emman Monfort, Joseph Yeo, JJ Helterbrand, JR Reyes, Japeth Aguilar, Greg Slaughter, Mark Caguioa, Dylan Ababou, Chris Ellis, Mac Bacarael
- Another team that has a young group of talented and athletic players. They still have a group of veterans that will provide leadership and experience come end-game situations. I'm expecting this team to upset higher teams, but will still not make it to the finals due to inexperience in playoff situations. Aside from that, if Coach Jeff Cariaso will opt to use the triangle as an offensive system, baka mas matagalan pa nga sila. This year will be a building year for Ginebra. Semi-finals, Quarter-finals or one finals appearance this season will definitely make them stronger sa future.

7. Meralco Bolts
Key Players: Sean Anthony, Nelbert Omolon, John Wilson, Cliff Hodge, Mike Cortez, James Sena, Jared Dillinger, Reynel Hugnatan, Rey Guevarra, Gary David
- This season is so unpredictable, actually. This Meralco team is more talented than the roster last year. I am expecting Meralco to at least crack in the semifinals for one or two conferences, but still being eliminated. This will be a building year for the Bolts with the multi-titled coach in Norman Black taking over the coaching position left by Ryan Gregorio. Aside from that, they have a wonderful pool of players that can bring offense and defense to the team. We all know Norman Black can make role players to talented players.

8. Global Port Batang Pier
Key Players: Terrence Romeo, Ronjay Buenafe, Jay Washington, Kelly Nabong, Keith Jensen, Mark Macapagal, Yancy de Ocampo, Mark Isip and Stanley Pringle
- I am really expecting Global Port to have a successful year this season if and only if their key and talented players will not be traded to the SMC or MVP-owned teams. This team can really be a perennial contender next season if trades that involve their key players will not ruin their team chemistry. Mahirap mag-coach ng team kung puro trade. I'm expecting this team to give a headache sa contenders, particularly with their very loaded guard lineup led by Alex Cabagnot, Terrence Romeo and their rookie, Stanley Pringle. Ang tanong nga lang, kanino ang bola pag end-game? They have a lot of veteran and experienced players such as Jaywash, YDO, Cabagnot that will provide leadership.

CELLAR-DRAWERS
9. Barako Bull Energy
Key Players: RR Garcia, Denok Miranda, Dorian Pena, Carlo Lastimosa, JC Intal, Nico Salva, Dave Marcelo, Bonbon Custodia, Jeric Fortuna, Willy Wilson, Mick Pennisi
- Puro guards ang Barako ah. This team has a lot of young and talented players, kaso pag nahihinog na, nalilipat sa mga SMC teams. Wag naman sana ganun. This team has a promising line-up, especially pag di ginagambala ng mga SMC/MVP teams. Expecting this team to be a cellar-drawer especially if their big players are being shipped to the other teams.

10. NLEX Road Warriors
Key Players: Mark Cardona, Eloy Poligrates, Simon Atkins, Jonas Villanueva, Mark Borboran, Aldrech Ramos, Chito Jaime, Asi Taulava, Matt Rosser, Juneric Baloria
- A very young team, indeed especially maraming nawala sa kanila particularly the big names such as Sean Anthony and Joseph Yeo. Ang kapalit? They have a bright future ahead of them. Imagine Aldrech Ramos, Matt Rosser, Juneric Baloria, Eloy Poligrates and Simon Atkins are the future pieces of this team. I am expecting this team to sign more young players and have some good trades within this season. Not expecting them to be dark horses, but I am expecting them to upset the dark horses and the contenders.

11. Blackwater Elite
Key Players: Sunday Salvacion, Paul Artadi, JR Cawaling, JP Erram, Brian Faundo, Bambam Gamalinda, Pari Llagas, Ogie Menor, Eddie Laure, Alex Nuyles, Juami Tiongsion, Frank Golla and Bacon Austria
- If these players were playing on the same team together in collegiate basketball, this team is god-d-amn dangerous and might be a finalist. But no, this is not collegiate basketball, this is the PBA. Imagine the biggest college superstars like JR Cawaling, Paul Artadi, Pari Llagas, Ogie Menor, and Alex Nuyles are in one team? This team will be deadly kung nasa college sila lahat, but hindi eh, nasa PBA sila. This team will take time for it to be a deadly team, but I am expecting the veteran players like Sunday, Paul, Bambam and Eddie will lead and mentor these young players. Papahinog rin tong mga to, and will make the right trades. Ibuild lang yung chemistry nila in their first year, and have great picks, they will be in the Top 8 in 2 years.

12. Kia Sorentos
Key Players: Reil Cervantes, Mike Burstcher, Jai Reyes, Paul Sanga, Angelus Raymundo, Eder Saldua, Nic Belasco, LA Revilla, Kyle Pascual, Manny Pacquiao and Rene Pacquiao
- Hanggang ngayon di ko pa rin magets why Manny Pacquiao was their 11th pick wherein you still a lot of players that you can draft in that class such as Baloria. Well, this team will be a joke this conference, unless they will prove to us that this team is no-joke. Who will lead this team? They only have a veteran in Nic Belasco, and di naman na siya kasing galing nung dati since he's in his twilight of his storied PBA Career. Well, Willie Miller is still unsigned, and Danny Ildefonso is not yet sealing a deal with Blackwater, maybe KIA can still sign them. Expecting the college offensive superstars like Reil Cervantes and Paul Sanga will lead the scoring for this team (well, since Glenn Capacio, who was their FEU coach back in their college careers, is the lead assistant of this team.)

Mythical Five (Predictions): Junemar Fajardo, Marc Barroca, Calvin Abueva, Ranidel de Ocampo and Jayson Castro
Second Mythical Five: Paul Lee, Gabe Norwood, Jay Washington, Asi Taulava and Sean Anthony

Rookie of the Year: Matt Rosser, Stanley Pringle, Juneric Baloria or Juami Tiongsion

What's your predictions? Post it right away! :)

Comments

• Almost every team has good lineups so far and almost half of the teams can be no.1 in standing, so I predict a logjam in the standings in philippine cup.

I also predict a ROS championship

and a semis appearance for GLOBALPORT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file