WHAT WAS THE LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? [Thread 6]

Comments

• izzzzzlawizzzzzlaw Certified Good/Bad Boy PExer
    The Revengers Squad (Vice Ganda)

Despite being lazily directed and unimaginatively narrated, the movie succeeds in generating multiple laugh out loud scenes while preaching audience to practically love on this timely occasion. The problem in this kind of slapstick was the urgency to resolve a greater conflict by using a tool of compassion without earning the heart. The film doesn’t want to make its audience think, like any other Vice Ganda films, it simply wants us to realize that the heart is the only way out to defeat insurmountable odds. That made it look cheap though.

The pattern seems evident to VG films no matter how complex and interesting the plot is. The intensity of the laughter and how many times a specific audience laughs are their main metric. I admit I have guilty pleasures watching Vice Ganda films in hopes that his jokes will improve from movie to movie. He’s better showcasing his wits on TV than in a Movie. I can says the jokes improved by a lot in this film. I had good laughs and so as the people in the theater I'm in. If laughter is your main goal (which is also subjective) then this is for you.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars
    Breathe-movie-poster-1.jpg

Breathe (2017)

The son of the real life couple produced this movie in memory of his late father. There's a great lovestory on the surface that's evidently explored but the overall tone feels flat and familiar. Nothing new to celebrate though.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
  • sonnetxviisonnetxvii PExer since 09|2004 PExer
    All the Money in the World! Love it!
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    DVD

DURATION:
    02:10:55

DIRECTOR:
    Michael Haneke

THE PIANO TEACHER (2001) (

516NC1CW6BL._SY445_.jpg

GENRE/SUBJECT:
    Drama

Thriller

Foreign Film

Foreign Language Film - French

Cannes Fillm Festival
  • dynamiteraidynamiterai Member 🦅 Eagle Squad🏅
    Catch Me If You Can - Hanks

8.5/10
    CallMeByYourName.jpg

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

The film is an absolute masterpiece. It messed me up in such a good way. The performances are perfectly portrayed by the actors who brought the characters to life. Armie (Oliver) nailed his character as the confident yet conflicted lover to Elio. Michael Stuhlberg serves as the backbone of the film by brilliantly portraying a loving father to his son. Timothee shines the most here. His portrayal, filled with confusion, lust, love and heartbreak, is profoundly stunning.

This is a remarkable film worthy of repeat viewings. It’s a simple love story that has taken unconventional route; two intelligent men trying to decode their thoughts and feelings against the lush green back drop of Northern Italy. The slow romance building helped a lot for us to fully care for these characters. Nothing is forced. No unnecessary obstacle that’ll make this film yet another Brokeback Mountain-ish spectacle.
    There’s a lingering effect of genuine love and heartbreak. It really aimed us all to be heartbroken. The movie triumphs on that note.... and it’s fascinating!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
  • MrSinisterMrSinister Destroyer of Senses PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

just finished watching the movie and its way better than I expected. good mix of action and comedy. Great chemistry between the cast (The Rock, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan). They also pay homage to the character of Robin Williams from the original movie.

Rating: 4/5
    DVD

DURATION:
    02:20:45

DIRECTOR:
    George Nava

EL NORTE (1983)

458_norteDVD_original.jpg\\

GENRE/SUBJECT:
    Drama

Foreign Language Film

Foreign Language

Academy Award Films

Social Reality

Illegal aliens

Immigration
  • psyche.beepsyche.bee who cares, PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ang Larawan (2017)
    8.5/10

Siargao (2017)
    8/10
    Love And Other Drugs

8/10
    three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri.jpg

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

It's hard not to pay attention to Frances McDormand's unapologetic and robust character all throughout the film. She is being hated by everyone here because of her defiance against a well-loved and cancer stricken officer by putting up those odd billboards. Surely audience will love her rich portrayal of an angry mother who is eager and determined to solve the mystery of her daughter's tragic demise by making everyone aware of the unsettled case.

The film provides tasteful social commentary that everyone subconsciously wants to discuss. We always want justice to be served immediately. If it takes time or nothing seems to progress, we interpret that everyone is not doing their job.

I also loved the dark humor of the film. The funniest part is when things get serious. I don't want to spoil though.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

I'm torn between Ronan and McDormand for BA but objectively speaking, It's the Fargo actress!
    FLORIDA.png

The Florida Project

The plot revolves around a struggling mother living in a vibrant hotel with her daughter as they make ends meet. The authoritative yet helpful owner of the motel serves as their guardian in disguise watching them out in every trouble they’re involved.

The film is lacking of explosive plot arcs. In fact, 90% of the movie is more of a character study not until the very end. Despite the mood, the charming and innocent performances of the kids especially Moonee (played by Brooklyn Prince) are captivating.

It’s alarming to see them swearing and being disrespectful to older people but the film is only trying to display truth about their characters. Their fragile happiness and absence of sense of consequence truly made this film more realistic and nostalgic.

The film doesn’t resort to over sentimentality but it’s really heartbreaking to see a child weep without a clear understanding of what’s happening with adult world.

It’s an outstanding, if not remarkable film.

Rating 4.5 out of 5 stars
    DVD

DURATION:
    01:44:38

DIRECTOR:
    Justin Chadwick

TULIP FEVER (2016)

91DNQzwSaYL._RI_.jpg

GENRE/SUBJECT:
    Drama

Romance

Based on a Book

Historical fiction

Adultery

Tulips
    The Perfect Man

5/10
  • sigh_hwatalyfsigh_hwatalyf Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ang Larawan
    7/10

It was superbly made, well-thought off, well executed. Deserves a watch to help elevate local cinema

i only rated it 7 because it needed more pop appeal, they were too strict straight musical theater e hindi ko masyado trip yun. but top notch cinematography. seamless portrayal of old manila.
    MV5BMjg1NDY0NDYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzIwMTEwNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR91,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Lady Bird

Lady Bird is a female driven film that would easily be considered as one of the best coming of age films in years. This is Ronan’s best performance to date. You’ll love and hate her at the same time. Laura Metcalfe also delivers a stellar performance as Lady Bird’s apathetic mother.

The story is very much relatable. The film’s strength relies on the authenticity of the lead characters and their struggle in searching for deep affection and acceptance. It works best when Lady Bird and her mother disagree in almost every given situation. No one dared to raise a white flag. It boils down to too much pride and self-centeredness.

One of the lowlights of the film would be the perfunctory third act. They are effortlessly eclipsed by the main casts. Even Lucas Hedges and Timothee Chalamet are hardly felt in this film.

The mother and daughter rivalry is refreshing to watch. Though I believe it could be a lot better if both have a heartfelt moment together because the film is too much of them shouting and stressing their point. It ends a bit flat, but a clever way to avoid the usual fare of manipulation.

At the end, it’s a great sentimental movie that leaves you asking for more.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
  • stingray1059stingray1059 15 year pexer, break that! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ang panday 2017 -- 5/10

daming plot holes, inconsistencies at too many unneeded scenes..
    maganda pa yung mga lumang panday movies ni fpj at bong revilla.
    DVD

DURATION:
    02:01:27

DIRECTOR:
    Ron Howard

INFERNO (2016)

81QPrqyftwL._SL1500_.jpg

GENRE/SUBJECT:
    Drama

Suspense

Mystery