Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Philippine History Books

Hello, fresh PEXer here. Does anyone know any good Philippine History books? Preferably University level already. I tried reading a book by Zaide the other day and I found myself giving up before finishing the 2nd chapter. He is a terribly biased writer. I've gotten recommendations for Agoncillo, Constantino, Ocampo, etc. I know it's nearly impossible to have a completely unbiased, objective historian so I'm going to have cross-reference several books to index the facts myself. Reviews and opinions on the books will be much appreciated as well. Many thanks! :)

Comments

• MeFan_YouJaneMeFan_YouJane PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I like "A Past Revisited" and "A Continuing Past" both by Renato Constantino.
  • aidenaiden PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I agree with MeFan_YouJane. In fact, I am rereading "A Past Revisited" 13 years after I first read it.
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I prefer primary sources, and if you do as well, check out the old 100+ years old The Philippine Islands: 1493-1898 (Blair and Robertson ed.), it's a compilation and translation of (mostly) Spanish writings on their voyages and transcripts on the islands.

Almost all Filipino historians including all of those you listed (use it one form or another) because its one of the most concise edited works on early Filipino history.

It's similar to Retana's "Archivo" except obviously in English. (And there's less "commentaries". In works of Retana and Rizal they have their own "comments", the Americans only 'summarized' at the beginning of each chapter).

Most of it is actually Project Gutenberg so you can read free online.

*okay*