Home PEx Family and Society Parenting 101

English or Tagalog: First language you should teach your kids

Ano ba ang mas ok na matutunan sa bahay ng mga bata ngayon? Sa inyo, ano ang primary language na ginagamit niyo?

Comments

• rubberr_duckyrubberr_ducky PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I started with English then a sprinkle of Spanish. In laws spoiled the fun by using Ilocano. PFFT!
  • kim Gkim G PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i live in canada,kids born and raise here....
    first language learned,tagalog
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^Opposite with Pinoys living in the PI. Hoorah to you. Most of my cousins born and raised here, they understand at least basic Tagalog.

:glee:

Kids can't even speak decent Tagalog,

Gotta Be Sh!ttin Me
  • kim Gkim G PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    all of them speak decent tagalog
    funny...every time my eldest txt or message me,her last words "mama,o sige!"

and when i start talking in straight tagalog,they better listen bec i mean business
  • Better teach them both at the same time.

Our experience with our kids, we teach them english first, now they are failing in Filipino Subject, and they have hard time understanding Filipino words and terms.

So right now, we are having a hard time teaching them Tagalog, now I just realized it should be simultaneous.
  • 343014343014 PEx Rookie ⭐
    I teach my son both, may halo pang Batangueno lol.
  • KiTTY2babeKiTTY2babe PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Currently live in Francophone Quebec, so English first, then smattering of Tagalog.
  • nasa pinas kami so my son's first language is tagalog (parents don't speak dialect as we're both from region IV). and now he's started school, he's learning english. this worked for us because at home we can have natural, free-flowing conversation in a language people at home really speak and use. yun lang, my son will speak to his non-Filipino classmates in tagalog at school, which poses a little problem for him not being understood hehehe.
  • Zep_TepiZep_Tepi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Tagalog first and then English.
  • madulimaymadulimay PEx Rookie ⭐
    It should always be native language first before foreign language. Ang Filipino na sariling wika mas madaling mauunawaan kapag sa bahay natutunan. Yung English pag nag-aral na ang bata matututunan at matututunan din.

Stop being pasosyal. English proficiency does no equate to one's intelligence. Ang kabataan ngayon kung inyong papansinin, bagsak na sa English proficiency, waley pa rin sa wikang Filipino.
  • Son started with English. Sumablay nga kami, dapat one of us parents speak the vernacular and then the other English. Catching up with Filipino now as he is also entering K2 so there'll be Filipino course in school. Teacher assured us that they'll see to it kiddos will be able to learn and master both. I think it is important to master one first and then another eventually. Kids are so good absorbing stuffs especially language. I agree with the vernacular first. Although we got used to EOP at home since I was a kiddo myself. Anyway what's more important is being able to express oneself, as well as develop creative thinking. It's amazing how kids, no matter their language, mix up and play and actually figure out how to enjoy playing with one another. My son, although he speaks and understands English (and starting to get equipped with little Filipino) is not intimidated to mingle with kids who speak Filipino. And boy these kids enjoy!. Great to see how the tagalog-speaking adjusts to express oneself and vice versa just to be able to communicate and have fun together.

Masterbather Dad
  • The first language that I learned is English since my father is an American though I was born and raised here. Honestly, I had a very hard time learning Tagalog and I couldn't speak or even write a decent Tagalog until now that I am already a graduate. I must say that it really depends where you live even though there is a huge advantage if you are fluent in English or if your first language is English but I must say the struggle is real if you are just going to stay here in PH. My grades in Filipino and other subjects that is being taught in Tagalog or vernacular is really poor and until now I'm struggling in composing a good Tagalog essay or alikes.
  • I talk to my daughter in English.. then my husband in tagalog naman. So she learned both language but mas ma-English sya.. its funny lang may accent sya when she speaks tagalog.. She's very fluent and has a wide vocabulary. Its a plus for us na she learned English agad. D kami nagsisisi..
  • kryztelle088kryztelle088 PEx Rookie ⭐
    DaddyClark wrote: »
    Ano ba ang mas ok na matutunan sa bahay ng mga bata ngayon? Sa inyo, ano ang primary language na ginagamit niyo?
    Hindi naman importante kung aling language yung matutunan ng bata. Basta yung lengwaheng pinipili niya ay lengwahe ng pag-ibig at kabutihan. :-)