Help Needed For Overweight Friend??

Hello guys, I am Garrett and i am 29 years old. One of my best friend need help losing weight. He is very overweight and really needs to put down some weight. As a friend i am really helpless, i don't know from where to begin. Please help??

Comments

• CaillanRomeroCaillanRomero Member PExer
    The first thing he needs to do is see a doctor so the doctor can determine what is causing his weight problem. Then he should ask his doctor what physical activity he can do to burn calories and the food he can eat. He obviously needs to reduce food intake specially fatty foods and carbohydrates and substitute them with raw and organic veggies. fruits, fish and skinless chicken. Tell him to stop using sugar and eating sugary food like pastries, candies, kakanins, cookies, etc. Let's start with those. What is his current weight? His baseline BP? Does he exercise, take walks? His work? Does he sit all day at work or in school? Does he have any health problems that he knows of? Does he smoke?

By the way, there are several threads in this forum about losing weight. You might want to visit those and read the contents.
  • LesLes Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Indeed, the first step is to see a physician. Although the vast majority overweight/obese people don't have any disorder causing the obesity itself, obesity per se is often associated with various disease like dyslipidemia, cardiovascular disease, fatty liver, and diabetes. Therefore, a workup should be done to see if there are such problems.

The cornerstone of weight loss is always lifestyle change, particularly diet and exercise. There are many kinds of weight loss diets but none have been proven to be superior to each other. Rather than focus on a particular one, the goal is always a caloric deficit. In other words, the energy content of the food eaten per day must be LESS than the energy requirement of the person. That's why foods rich in fats and carbohydrates are the ones reduced in weight loss diets. The effect of diet is augmented by exercise. Note however that exercise alone is generally less effective than a hypocaloric diet, meaning that if a person persists in maintaining his dietary habits while just adding exercise, minimal weight loss will occur.

Aside from a doctor, a nutritionist will help a person achieve weight loss by planning out a dietary regimen. In addition, weight loss will NEVER occur if a person isn't willing to sacrifice. For example, a bag of potato chips is delicious but it contains both fat and carbohydrate; same for pastries, ice cream etc. -- all are calorie-dense foods. It takes sustained discipline to achieve weight loss; the common phenomenon of "yo-yo dieting" is because people fail to in this regard and go back to their unhealthy eating habits.

Lastly, weight loss medications aren't very effective. Most commonly, any weight loss achieved using medications is lost once it's stopped. This underscores the fact that lifestyle change wasn't likely achieved in the first place and the patient was just relying on the drugs to do the "dirty work."
  • CaillanRomeroCaillanRomero Member PExer
    Les wrote: »
    Indeed, the first step is to see a physician. Although the vast majority overweight/obese people don't have any disorder causing the obesity itself, obesity per se is often associated with various disease like dyslipidemia, cardiovascular disease, fatty liver, and diabetes. Therefore, a workup should be done to see if there are such problems.

The cornerstone of weight loss is always lifestyle change, particularly diet and exercise. There are many kinds of weight loss diets but none have been proven to be superior to each other. Rather than focus on a particular one, the goal is always a caloric deficit. In other words, the energy content of the food eaten per day must be LESS than the energy requirement of the person. That's why foods rich in fats and carbohydrates are the ones reduced in weight loss diets. The effect of diet is augmented by exercise. Note however that exercise alone is generally less effective than a hypocaloric diet, meaning that if a person persists in maintaining his dietary habits while just adding exercise, minimal weight loss will occur.

Aside from a doctor, a nutritionist will help a person achieve weight loss by planning out a dietary regimen. In addition, weight loss will NEVER occur if a person isn't willing to sacrifice. For example, a bag of potato chips is delicious but it contains both fat and carbohydrate; same for pastries, ice cream etc. -- all are calorie-dense foods. It takes sustained discipline to achieve weight loss; the common phenomenon of "yo-yo dieting" is because people fail to in this regard and go back to their unhealthy eating habits.

Lastly, weight loss medications aren't very effective. Most commonly, any weight loss achieved using medications is lost once it's stopped. This underscores the fact that lifestyle change wasn't likely achieved in the first place and the patient was just relying on the drugs to do the "dirty work."
    Excellent advice, Les! Are you by any chance an M.D.? I play one on TV...hehe...KIDDING!
  • LesLes Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Yup, I'm an internist. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file