Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

Which new TV series do you follow?

There are many new American/other foreign TV series being shown now in our local TV and cable channels. Which are some of your favorites and why do you like them? You can talk here about the episodes of your favorite foreign TV series that you watched and other tidbits of information related to the series.

Here are some of the new TV series (not all of them may be available in your local TV/cable systems yet):

Tyrant - Series tells the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation.

Crisis - Centers on an idealistic Secret Service agent who finds himself at the center of an international crisis on his first day on the job. In his search for the truth, he will have to cross moral and legal lines as he navigates the highest levels of power and corruption.

Dominion - one of my fave TV series because it is based on the movie/book "Legion". If you're like me, you will like this one.
The Last Ship - The crew of a naval destroyer is forced to confront the reality of a new existence when a pandemic kills off most of the earth's population.

Young and Hungry - one of the main characters here is one of our gay Pinoy comedians. Sorry, I forget his name but his face should be familiar because he's been in many TV series and had guested at Ellen DeGeneris Show.

Halt and Catch Fire - Set in the early 1980s, series dramatizes the personal computing boom through the eyes of a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy whose innovations directly confront the corporate behemoths of the time. Their personal and professional partnership will be challenged by greed and ego while charting the changing culture in Texas' Silicon Prairie.

Murder in the First - A single murder case is dissected from the committing of the crime through to the investigation, arrest and trial.

Crossbones - A pirate TV series

Turn - Follows New York farmer, Abe Woodhull, who bands together with a group of childhood friends to form The Culper Ring, an unlikely group of spies who turn the tide in America's fight for independence.

The Musketeers - Set on the streets of 17th century Paris, series gives a contemporary take on the classic story about a group of highly trained soldiers and bodyguards assigned to protect King and country.

Extant - An astronaut (Berry) returns home from a year long solo mission in space. She tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.

Betrayal - Kinda similar to Scandal but many viewers like this series more.

Comments

• No response? I find that hard to believe.

Here is another new series but it first ran in 2013 so it's not exactly brand spanking new. But it is relatively new.

Hemlock Grove
    A teenage girl is brutally murdered, sparking a hunt for her killer. But in a town where everyone hides a secret, will they find the monster among them?
    Stars:
    Famke Janssen, Landon Liboiron, Bill Skarsg?rd

OTHERS...

Penny Dreadful (2014)
    Explorer Sir Malcolm Murray, American gunslinger Ethan Chandler, and others unite to combat supernatural threats in Victorian London.
    Stars:
    Josh Hartnett, Timothy Dalton, Eva Green

Wolfblood (2012)
    Wolfbloods have lived amongst us for centuries, disguising heightened senses & abilities and the majority of them blending in. Maddy and her parents are the only wolfbloods in their area. Until one day, a new boy starts at Maddy's school...

Odysseus (2013)

Outlander (2014)
    Follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened. When she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate relationship is ignited that tears Claire's heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Wayward Pines (2014)
    A Secret Service agent goes to Wayward Pines, Idaho, in search of two federal agents who have gone missing in the bucolic town. He soon learns that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.
    Stars:
    Sarah Jeffery, Charlie Tahan, Matt Dillon
  • Anyone seen the 2012 TV series, "Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn"?

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
    In 2525, as mankind has begun to colonise space, a group of cadets are training to fight against human insurrectionists. One of these cadets, Thomas Lasky, has doubts about his abilities as a soldier and his convictions for this war. Whilst he struggles with himself, the planet is invaded by an unknown alien race. Reeling under the assault, Lasky and his squad mates are rescued by John-117, one of the UNSC's legendary SPARTAN-II super-soldiers. John must inspire Lasky to fulfill his potential as a soldier and a leader to fight against an enemy deadlier than any that humanity has faced before. --- From IMDB

A review:
    This Is How The Halo Movie Should Be Made
    by zack_wall (United States)

A few months ago when the first trailer came out for the web series, "Forward Unto Dawn", I was beside myself with excitement. I watched the trailer an easy 5-10 times, and then periodically checked back to view it again, in case I missed something the first time around. I've been a fan of the Halo series since day one of Halo C.E., and it's been really disappointing to not have a Halo movie I can feel proud of. Since high school, I've followed the hype surrounding the script writing and screenplay mock-ups of a potential Halo film, but they never panned out into anything real. Then, Microsoft and 343 Industries teamed up to create Forward Unto Dawn, and the hype surrounding a Halo movie returned. Only this time it wasn't going to be a movie, but a web series instead. And when it debuted on October 5th, I was one of the few to see it when it was only at 5k views(hipster moment). It was everything I expected and more. Superb acting, gorgeous visuals, a beautiful soundtrack, and the promise to deliver more and more in future episodes. Friday has always been my favorite day of the week, but now I have a reason to love it. Each episode debuts on a Friday, which means all my calls will be held, pizza will be delivered to my couch, and nothing is more important than those 20 minutes of Halo action. No feature length movie just yet? Well, this is the next best thing. If you call yourself a fan of the game, you...will...watch...this. Oh, and before I forget...Adios!!
    I think this series was made available in DVDs (Target being one of the stores that sold them). They went on sale sa Target for only $14!
  • The Strain

From IMDB:
    A Boeing 767 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing.

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city - a city that includes his wife and son - before it is too late.

From Wikipedia:
    The Strain is an American vampire horror–drama television series that premiered on FX on July 13, 2014. It was created by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, based on their novel trilogy of the same name. Del Toro and Hogan wrote the pilot episode, "Night Zero", which del Toro directed.
  • The Divide (2014)

Here is a review from The New York Times:
    Teetering on the Line Between Good and Evil
    'The Divide,' a Drama Inspired by the Innocence Project

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

"The Divide," a legal drama that begins on Wednesday, is surprisingly good. But what's most surprising is that it's on WE, a cable channel best known for shows like "L.A. Hair" and "Marriage Boot Camp."

Not that there is anything wrong with escapist reality shows aimed at women. But if HBO is the Stanford of cable networks, WE is closer to Mary Baldwin College in Virginia.

"The Divide" isn't frilly or fun: It is a smart, intense thriller inspired by the Innocence Project, the nonprofit organization that uses DNA testing to fight to reverse wrongful convictions — including many in death penalty cases.

And there are so many news accounts these days of inmates being released after decades in prison for crimes they didn't commit.

CNN has an entire documentary series, "Death Row Stories," narrated by Susan Sarandon ("Dead Man Walking"), that looks at real-life capital punishment cases where convicts turned out to be victims of an unjust system of justice.

"The Divide" isn't focused on the lighter side of wrongful incarceration; promotional materials begin with a quotation from Solzhenitsyn: "The line separating good and evil passes not through states nor between classes nor between political parties either — but right through every human heart and through all human hearts. This line shifts. Inside us, it oscillates with the years. And even within hearts overwhelmed by evil, one small bridgehead of good is retained. And even in the best of all hearts, there remains a small corner of evil."

Of course, that's not exactly encouraging, either; some dramas about the legal system drown in their own righteousness. Fortunately, the two-hour premiere of "The Divide" defies expectations in both directions.

On the premiere, the death row inmate that do-good, pro bono lawyers seek to save is Jared Bankowski (Chris Bauer), a white man who was convicted of brutally slaughtering almost all the members of an African-American family in their home.

Nobody wants this infamous monster released, not the young woman who is the sole survivor of the killing spree and certainly not Adam Page (Damon Gupton), the ambitious African-American district attorney who put his career on the map with the case.

The setting is Philadelphia, and anything to do with that fictional multiple homicide, known in the tabloids as Killadelphia, is explosive. Jared's conviction has become a cornerstone of the city's efforts to restore racial harmony, so there are plenty of reasons to want the execution to stay on track, besides the prosecutor's and the public's certainty that Jared is guilty.

Marin Ireland ("Homeland") plays Christine Rosa, a law student and intern at the Innocence Initiative. And while Christine is a lot prettier than either Barry C. Scheck or Peter J. Neufeld, the two lawyers who founded the Innocence Project, she actually looks like a lawyer.

Television shows too often cast flawless, gorgeous actresses to play rumpled, stressed workaholics.

Christine works in a bar to pay for law school and has shadows under her eyes; her hair is long, blond and a little stringy, and she wears jeans and field jackets, not short skirts and high heels.

The understated cinematography and music are in the same vein: Someone went to some trouble to avoid the genre's usual cheesy shortcuts and clichés.

Christine is the show's heroine, but Adam, for all his ambition, isn't the villain, and neither, really, is Jared. Good deeds are sometimes stained by crass or selfish motives, and bad ones sometimes have a mitigating factor. The premiere of this eight-episode legal thriller is remarkably free of cheap melodrama.

That may partly be an act of atonement by one of the creators of the show, Tony Goldwyn, who also directed the premiere. At his day job, Mr. Goldwyn plays the passionate, lovesick President Grant on Shonda Rhimes's florid nighttime soap "Scandal," on ABC; there is some perfunctory sex on "The Divide" but scant romance and a lot less murder, conspiracy and face slapping than on "Scandal." Christine has a boss, Clark Rylance (Paul Schneider), who respects her commitment and zeal but has a more realistic view of the job. "You want to be a lawyer," Clark tells her. "You better get used to knowing what should happen and accepting what does."

Christine doesn't listen, and she has hidden facts on her side. So does "The Divide," a show that tries to live up to Solzhenitsyn's maxim that there is good and evil in everyone, even lawyers.
  • The Bridge (2013)

Two detectives work together to take down a serial killer operating on both sides of the Texas-Chihuahua border.

STORYLINE (IMDB)
    Marco Ruiz is a homicide investigator for the state of Chihuahua, Mexico living in Ciudad Ju?rez. A family man, Marco is one of the last good men in a corrupt and apathetic police force that is out-gunned by the powerful drug cartels. He's sharp, charming, and observant and painfully aware that his city is in a state of chaos. When a body is dumped on the bridge that spans the El Paso-Ciudad Ju?rez border, Ruiz is forced to work with his American counterpart, "Detective Sonya Cross." Written by Ronald Craig

In Pinas, I think they're about to start the 2nd season.

From Wikipedia:
    The Bridge follows two police detectives ? one Mexican, one American ? and their joint effort to investigate a serial killer menacing both nations along the Texas?Chihuahua border. Their investigation is complicated by the rampant corruption and general apathy among the Mexican authorities and the violence of the powerful borderland drug cartels. The show title refers to the Bridge of the Americas that serves as a border crossing between El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Ju?rez, Chihuahua, where the series is set.
  • winterfell2013winterfell2013 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Here are the series that I am following though they are not exactly 'new'. I am in UAE and I do not own a television nor a cable. Just relying on online copies/streaming. So it takes time for me to see something in particular. Managed to finish some, lucky me.

1. Akta Manniskor (Real Humans) - Sweden 2012. Ran for two seasons. In the near future when humans have created a hubots or human robots. Almost human robots. Humanoids. So there goes the conflict between real humans and hubots. Sorry guys I am not good in writing. But for me it is interesting, so interesting that UK made their own version called Humans.

2. Humans - UK 2015. The English version of Akta Manniskor. Of course I still prefer the Swedish version but then since I was addicted to it that I wouldn't dare to miss the English version no? I heard that 3rd season will come out this year but since I do not have a cable I need to wait a little longer.

3. El Ministerio Del Tiempo - Spain 2015. It is about a ministry that travels back in time to make sure that history will happen (good or bad) as there are some people who wants to alter the history. I am a sucker for any fantasy or medieval themed series.

4. Vikings and Game of Thrones are probably the only series from USA that I am still watching. Vikings is well story about Vikings since there are not much about them on TV. Still I haven't seen the season 5. 

None of my colleagues nor people I know watches or enjoys foreign tv series like I do. Well some do but limited only to Korean and/or Japanese tv series. Last series I have seen was Dark (Germany) again about time travel. I loved it and waiting for the next season.