What is your favorite stage play?

yestoyesto Administrator PEx Admin
theater industry in the country is not as big as Broadway or West End but im pretty sure, we can go head to head against them in terms of talent and dedication given by our local actors and performers.

Having said that, what is your favorite local stage play?

We also want to know what foreign plays do you love?

---

Im hearing good reviews about PRICILLA and Rock of Aeigis, anyone who have seen these?

Comments

• ryanqqq2ryanqqq2 none ✭✭
    I have been away for so long but have high respect for PETA, Repertory Philippines, Tanghalang Pilipino, Atlantis Prod, etc.

Anyway on topic.
    Musicals:
    Matilda - an adaptation of Dahl's book about a little girl's brave journey to a school ran by a nasty Principal, Miss Trunchbull (played by a man). Extremely witty and clever lyrics.
    Rent- This is the first musical I've seen on Broadway. It feels dated now due to its subject. The aids epidemic as subject, and the angst laden treatment which is no longer the style of today. But good music is good music, so i will always have nice memories of this in my theater going experience. And, it is cool to have bragging rights of seeing Idina Menzel; pre-Wicked, pre-Frozen's notoriety :-)
    A Chorus Line - a classic. Quite a nice piece on struggles of ensemble actors. I have seen this in Manila from a touring prod. I was slated to watch this in the London revival, but it closed before my sceduled trip! Again, interesting music and choreography.
    Les Miserable - Of the UK mega musicals, this is what I liked best. Again mostly because of the songs. The stirring barricade scene with Enjolras' body leaves a mark.
    Lion King - the puppet animals!
    Pippin - I love most of its songs. The current staging in Broadway is brilliant.

Plays
    I will watch anything by Neil Simon (comedies), Arthur Miller, and David Mamet.
    In particular, Mamet's Oleanna and Miller's The Crucible are thought provoking plays.
    Shakespeare - For his tragedies, one must at least see a staging of Hamlet and/or Macbeth. For his comedies, try to see any/all! Some have the lamest plots but it is nonetheless amusing. His work is an Actor's medium methinks. Disclosure: I have not seen a production of Shakespeare in the UK which is a shame. I intend to correct it given the chance. And I want it to be Midsummer Night's Dream.
    Moliere - The french Shakespeare :-) Try seeing Tartuffe, The Miser, The Misanthrope, etc.

In the pipeline and perhaps future favorites:
    Book of Mormons - looks like a clever and funny Musical
    Miss Saigon - Pinoy Pride ! :-)
  • gooseberrygooseberry very loosey 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    I love Les Miserables.

But UP and UST puts out good shows.

The play Kathy, from what I heard is awesome.
  • questorquestor Member PExer
    I saw this play a few years back (close to a decade) and struck the right chord in me.

The Romance of Magno Rubio by The Ma-Yi Theatre Company of New York. I remember reading a short story written by Carlos Bulosan on his American experience.
  • pantone #000pantone #000 Member ✭✭✭
    Bona was really fun with Eugene Domingo in it. I hope makapanood pa kao ng rerun ng Rak of Aegis.
  • peanuts87peanuts87 Snarky Piscean PExer
    Rak of Aegis will run until September 14.
    Buy your tickets na kasi alam ko nagkakaubusan na =)
  • cretinous00cretinous00 The sea! The sea! PExer
    my favorite back in UP was Peer Gynt with roderick paulate as the young peer gynt. ad libs were kinda sexually oriented but funny. when the troll king was trying to convince peer to stay in their realm, with the seductive troll princess visible in the corner:

"pag-masdan mo aking anak, hindi ha ba nalili-BOGAN SA KANYA?!?!?!"
    Anyone still remember Rama at Sita?
  • yestoyesto Administrator PEx Admin
    gooseberry wrote: »
    Anyone still remember Rama at Sita?

ito yung kay ayen munji and franco laurel right?
    I would say yes.
  • ka_denizka_deniz bagong buhay ✭✭✭
    I miss rolando tinio. i was his student and i worked for him after. He used to stage the classics both in filipino and english. he taught me iambic pentameters.

of.his works with shakespere my favorites were ella luansing playing lady macbeth, twelfth night, as you like it, taming of the shrew, coriolanus and a midsummer nights dream and probably his most brillant translation, panaginip sa gabi ng gitnang tagaraw.

I also like his work on molliere's tartuff, ionecu's the bald soprano, beckett's waiting for godot (a play which almost every pinoy director, except for tinio and bart guingona, has completely misunderstood and miainterpreted), the promise (tranlsted as kawawang marat). Of.course his best works are the.greek tragedies, medea, antigone and lysistrata. I also like cecile guidote's production of trojan women.

Of local plays i love guerrero, everyone of them. Tinio's musical may katwiran ang katwiran and his political drama the boxes. Adrian cristobal's the trial and the superb translation ang paglilitis, a play on the trial and execution of andres bonifacio. Amado hernandez' mga anak ng bayang ayaw paalipin. A three hour play depicting the philippine's struggle for independence from lapu lapu to the declaration of independence in 1946. And conde adolfo, a musical/comedy redepiction of florante at laura from the poit of view of the.antagonist.
  • ka_denizka_deniz bagong buhay ✭✭✭
    gooseberry wrote: »
    I love Les Miserables.

But UP and UST puts out good shows.

The play Kathy, from what I heard is awesome.

The first staging was awesome. the one i saw had celeste legaspi playing katy dela cruz.

The most memorable i saw was club dredd's staging of.jesus christ superstar. It was staged on a maundy thursday, was by invitation and they just played the songs from the musical. They had rico velez on bass, jun lupito on lead, mike villegas and tirso ripol on rhythms and miguel ortigas on drums. (at least that was what i remember.) basti artadi played jesus christ, coockie chua played mary magdalene and binky lampano played judas escariot. I dont remember the other's. I think Charley yshmael played herod.
  • pantone #000pantone #000 Member ✭✭✭
    Had the chance to see Noli Me Tangere The Opera. First time kong nakapanood ng opera, I guess naninibago ako sa tunog kumpara sa musicals. Medyo mahirap intindihin yung pagtatagalog nila tapos ang kanta ay pa-opera. Kaya yung English subtitle ang binabasa ko in the end. Kung ikukumpara ko kasi nung sa TPOTO, I understand almost their every word. Our seats were in the second to the last row way way up but still, naintindihan ko. With this Noli, we were in premier seats yet sa lcd screen ako nagbabasa kung ano ang sinasabi ng mga characters. It was really good, don't get me wrong. Ako lang itong naninibago sa Tagalog na opera.
  • babaguababagua Member PExer
    Thanks for sharing ryanqqq2 :)
    the only time in my life i watched a moro-moro was at the CCP (a CCP-adapted moro-moro) for "orosman and zafira." it featured some of my favorites at the time like irma adlawan and that girl olga-something. it lasted 3 1/2 hours. when i ask people whether or not they've watched a moro2 in their hometown and how long it took, the shortest was 6 hours. maikli na pala yung napanood ko! :lol:
  • ryanqqq2ryanqqq2 none ✭✭
    ^^ no worries babagua :) I really enjoy theater.

Having said that, I have just seen last Saturday Book of Mormons and Miss Saigon. I should have switched the order of watching as I would have preferred to leave the Theater in a more hopeful and joyous mood.

Both are really good though and highly recommended. I have a slight preference for the Book of Mormons as I really find it funny. No songs that sticks to your mind but it is irreverent. Probably not for everyone as it is quite crass and could even be Vulgar.

^cretinous,
    Ako naman the longest I'd watch is the 2 part Angels in America mounted by New Voice Company. Sila Bobby Garcia and Monique Wilson pa and partners. Parang 3 hours-3 hours siya, matinee and evening.

BTW, speaking of Monique and Bobby, was there a falling out between the 2? They have had great team up then nagkaroon nang Atlantis Prod and I have not heard of any collaboration since.
  • jenjen2414jenjen2414 Member PExer
    The Lion King and Les Miserables hehehehe
    what the heck?!?!?!? i see advertised on bus stickers the musical "chicago." the ad says it's the longest running musical. of course not! it opened the same week "a chorus line" opened and it (chicago) bombed. only as a movie musical in 2003 did it finally take off. the two top contenders are "grease" and "a chorus line."
  • istarbaksistarbaks Member ✭✭✭
    ^ i think it's the longest running REVIVAL musical... that's the missing word.
  • JohnThree16JohnThree16 Patrick Andrew Thompson
    The Sound of Music and Rock of Ages.
  • gian100gian100 Member PExer
    The Sound of Music, Les Miserable, Rock of Ages, Jesus Christ Superstar. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file