FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

[CBS] Scorpion

hethlerhethler Moderator PExer
edited April 18 in International TV
Scorpion-1-779x400jpg

Plot:
SCORPION, inspired by a true story, is a high-octane drama about eccentric genius Walter O’Brien (Elyes Gabel) and his team of brilliant misfits who comprise the last line of defense against complex, high-tech threats of the modern age. As Homeland Security’s new think tank, O’Brien’s “Scorpion” team includes Toby Curtis (Eddie Kaye Thomas), an expert behaviorist who can read anyone; Happy Quinn (Jadyn Wong), a mechanical prodigy; and Sylvester Dodd (Ari Stidham), a statistics guru. Pooling their extensive technological knowledge to solve mind-boggling predicaments amazes federal agent Cabe Gallo (Robert Patrick), who shares a harrowing history with O’Brien. However, while this socially Awkward group is comfortable with each other’s humor and quirks, life outside their circle confounds them, so they rely on Paige Dineen (Katharine McPhee), who has a young, gifted son, to translate the world for them. At last, these nerdy masterminds have found the perfect job: a place where they can apply their exceptional brainpower to solve the nation’s crises, while also helping each other learn how to fit in. Nick Santora, Emmy Award winner Nicholas Wootton, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Heather Kadin, Walter O’Brien, Scooter Braun and Justin Lin are the executive producers for CBS Television Studios. Justin Lin (“The Fast and the Furious”) directed the pilot.

Trailer:

Comments

• topnotch97topnotch97 Marley Brinx says hi ✭✭✭
    it has that Intelligence [CBS] feel.

but it got canceled.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Series premiere tomorrow in the US

Will watch for Katharine McPhee :love: Sana hindi na mag flop ito :lol:
  • DAKINDAKIN IMTV Cockatoo ✭✭✭
    ang laki ng improvement ni Kat dito.
    hawig ni Paolo Ballesteros si Walter ha ha

i love the pilot.:love:

pinagsamang Einstein, Mark Zuckerberg at Sherlock si Walter.
    may pagka- JAKE TOUCH ang baby boy ni Paige ( McPhee ).
    mysterious si Paige.
    i'm sure hindi lang siya ordinary waitress.
    hmmm...
    nakakalokah yung eksena sa runway. intense!*okay*
    Some capsule reviews

The Verdict

CBS's Scorpion hit the ground running in its series premiere and had the good fortune of calling up Justin Lin (The Fast and the Furious) to direct. In the first episode, we're introduced to a motley crew of super-geniuses hired by the FBI to solve high-tech crimes, and for the most part it's an engaging hour of television. But while the cast is strong and the action solid, the sustainability of a show like this is questionable, especially given the show's procedural nature and limited budget. That said, if case-of-the-week shows are your thing, Scorpion is probably worth checking out, at least for a couple episodes.

Full review here

‘Scorpion’ Pilot Review: It’s Chuck Meets Die Hard 2

The new series ‘ Scorpion’ from CBS has plenty of unbelievable scenarios bordering on the insane but there’s still some heart and humor worth watching in this show….

Scorpion Pilot Review | “High Octane, High Nonsense”

When watching a drama like the new CBS show ‘Scorpion’ you have to open your mind to plenty of implausible and outrageous situations. Just because the characters on the screen are spewing out a bunch of smart mumbo jumbo does not mean that any of it makes any sense what so ever. That is the problem with ‘Scorpion’, it wants to be a fun smart show but everything that is happening is way too far fetch to believe. That being said the show delivers on what it’s trying to be, a fun and entertaining fast paced action drama. Something that in all honesty is not around on most of the major networks.

The real-life inspiration might be more interesting than the actual show, but it's only a pilot and this genius-and-misfits combination could end up being entertaining

The series stars Elyes Gabel as O'Brien; Jadyn Wong, Eddie Kaye Thomas and Ari Stidham as the brilliant misfits; and the impossibly lovely Katharine McPhee as a waitress with a son who O'Brien and The Misfits immediately figure out is one of them. Robert Patrick is the Homeland Security tough.

It's a solidly constructed CBS drama pilot per usual, though it's overly sentimental in this first hour, pandering and a lot broader than it probably needed to be. But the cast is good and the pilot's over-the-top nature (there's an airliner involved) hints at a combination of nerd babble mixed with action and that's not the worst thing you'll see on TV this season.

Like ABC's Forever, which also premieres Monday, Scorpion falls into that underdeveloped middle ground of pilots where one episode probably won't be enough to judge how it will end up — but if you want a little mindless fun (ironic, given the concept), then there's not much to lose.
    THE RATINGS???

Following two episodes of The Big Bang Theory, which garnered 17.8 million viewers and a 5.3 in the adults 18-to-49 demographic, Scorpion's own misfit group of geniuses drew 14 million and a 3.3, making it the top series debut of the night.

LINK
    'American Idol' veteran hopes her CBS drama doesn't let her sing
    By Daniel Fienberg @HitFixDaniel |

katharinemcphee_2014_cbstca_1200_article_story_large.jpg

Going back to my failure to get on-board with the Soul Patrol, I'm accustomed to supporting Katharine McPhee in ill-fated circumstances.

It's no wonder, then, that we're simpatico when it comes to Karen Cartwright losing the Tony to Ivy Lynn.

"That's a great question," McPhee says when I inquire about her disappointment regarding this fictional theater award. "I wanted Karen to win!"

"[M]y heart kind of like broke for her," McPhee admits. "I'm like, 'Really? She ends up with this loser guy who goes to jail and she can't even win the Tony?' And she has to have this nasty catfight with a girl who she could have potentially had a great relationship with? And she can't win the Tony. At least she got to play Marilyn for a little bit."

McPhee's two-year run on "Smash" taught her many lessons, which we discussed in July when we sat down to talk about her new CBS drama "Scorpion," premiering on Monday (September 22) night. The buzzy NBC musical shaped her approach to subsequent acting roles and also impacted what she was looking for in pilots when she looked at scripts last spring.

In "Scorpion," McPhee plays Paige, who begins as a diner waitress trying her best to raise a wildly introverted young genius. Through an odd set of circumstances, she comes to meet Elyes Gabel's Walter O'Brien and his rag-tag team of socially maladjusted whiz-kids and this somehow leads to car chases and a massive stunt involving an airplane.

In our conversation, McPhee talks about what attracted her to Paige and the challenges of playing both a young mother and also playing the "normal" character in a show about prodigies.

She explains how much, or how little, she got to do in those huge stunt scenes and admits that she has no clue what "Hit List" was actually about.

Oh and how long before her "Scorpion" character takes the gang out karaoke singing? Or at admits her life-long dream has been music? McPhee hopes it's a while.

Check out the full interview...

HitFix: So, let's just sort of go back to the beginning of this. It's spring, were you looking to do to get back into the TV biz?

Katharine McPhee: You know, I really loved so much being on a show. When I got "Smash," I was just thinking, "Wow what a perfect storm for me as far as just all the essentials put into one on a show." But the other thing I wasn't sure of was, will I like being on a TV show? And the schedule, I'd never been on something where you shoot like nine months out of the year. And I just loved it. "Smash's" schedule in particular, they're very difficult schedules. Like you literally never get a day off. And sometimes they call you in on a Saturday saying, "We really need you to pre-recorded this song" and you're like, "Oh my gosh." So you lose a lot of your... I think I'll find myself with a day or two off a bit more frequent on this show than I probably would on "Smash." So to answer your question, honestly I think pilot season for me, yeah sure, I was interested in what pilot season had to offer, but that being said, just like anything else that I try and approach as far as projects, I try to make sure that I'm not taking a job just to take a job, but because I really genuinely am excited about something and feel like it's the right vehicle for me. And I kind of went through pilot season and I was particular about things that I wanted to go in for. And I kind of thought, "You know, t's not my season. I'm not going to get something." And this came in rather late in the season and I got cast on a Sunday and was shooting on Tuesday. So, it really was an amazing thing for me to nail down and to have it something be so different from what I did on "Smash."

HitFix: Well, what resonated about Paige for you?

Katharine McPhee: I think for me I felt like I was getting finally an opportunity to play an adult character, a young adult character who displayed lots of strength and responsibility for her life. I think Karen on "Smash" was supposed to be a little bit younger and the writing didn't continue to write her as this sort of strong character. I think she was a lot more timid, she was short-winded sometimes. She would get cut off a lot by stronger personalities. And this is, I think, really exciting to kind of be able to have an opportunity to play a character who's a strong woman. And that was what was intriguing to me. She's strong but also still very sensitive and sees the world with a sensitivity and can help translate that to other people who can't really... I just think there's all these dynamics, like to be able to play a young mother and things that I don't even, as a human being, know about. Karen was easy for me to connect to as far as the love of wanting to be a performer and the struggle of being an actor and all that stuff. Whereas this is, you know, you really do have to think about the love of a child, because I don't have those things.

HitFix: Well, were you sort of scared? Was there fear to that when you sort of see "young mother" on the page do you wonder if you can do that? Find that?

Katharine McPhee: Yeah. Sure. What my thought was was I don't want people to not feel like this isn't my son. That was a concern to me. That was my main thought when I first started on the first day was I was working with Riley B Smith, the little kid who plays my son, and I just had to really focus myself and just say like, "This is your son" for that. I don't really have a hard time kind of taking a motherly role with my own friend's kids and things like that. Sometimes I probably tell them what to do and I probably shouldn't. So the thing that I like about her is that she doesn't have a hard time asserting herself. And I can in real-life have a hard time asserting myself. But when I do it feels great. So I don't know, there's lots of interesting dynamics that is exciting for me to play.

HitFix: Does it help that sort of the son's relationship with the mother is sort of a somewhat, not a "strained" relationship but there's a distance at least.

Katharine McPhee: For sure. Absolutely. But that was sort of what the director was wanting, that balance between this disconnect with her son and yet not letting the audience see that that rattles Paige. Because she's never going to give up on him. And so how do you like convey that in such a short amount of time? So yeah, she was challenging. It was a lot of information for those first few days because I was just thrown into it.

HitFix: So, all these other actors they have to play these geniuses and you're playing the "normal girl". Is it sort of deceptively hard to play "normal" in this environment?

Katharine McPhee: Yeah. I mean the thing I think about is we use that term a lot, a "normal" person. What is normal? Like who are we all to say what one should feel or one should think? So I don't know, I don't really know what normal is. As long as you're not running around killing people, doing really awful things? Most people are, in my book, relatively normal. I'll probably take that back.

HitFix: Well, did you watch sort of the other actors have to go through the jargon that they had to do?

Katharine McPhee: Yeah. I think the dialogue in itself helps them sort of not be "normal." The sort of loose tongue, the things that come out of their mouths where most people sort of think things through before they actually speak something. So I think it was more in the writing that that kind of thing was more apparent to me.

HitFix: Now, do you have any sort of experience like this sort of herding friends? You talked about your relationship with friends and that to me feels like what your character is doing she's sort of the herder. So do you have any sort of that side in you?

Katharine McPhee: Sure. Yeah. It's interesting being in this business as a woman and you're going to events all the time. I have a lot of friends and wanting to organize staying connected to your friends and family and having them be a part of your journey in this career and stuff. I feel like I'm constantly texting and organizing meeting up with people. Like, "Okay I'll get you the pass for this event and you just got to put your name in here." So that part of me does exist in that way. I think other than the nonprofessional side of me, I'm not really one to get together and throw like a massive get-together with friends. I'm probably not as, I don't know, within the confines of my business. People are intrigued, I think friends and family are intrigued with this world that we live in, this entertainment world, and it can be really fun. And so because you're so busy it's convenient to include them in your world and find a way to see them within your business. So does that kind of make sense?

HitFix: It does. Are we going to find out that Paige has her own sort of oddities and peculiarities?

Katharine McPhee: You know, I'm not really sure so much about that yet. I've only got the second episode, honestly, so I can say that so far you don't see that yet. But you do see her really be able to assert herself and not be afraid of, you know, calling it like it is. And it's pretty impressive in front of a roomful of people she really doesn't know that well. That's impressive to me.

HitFix: Now, the last 15 minutes of this pilot are very action-packed. What did you actually get to do? What were you out there getting to do?

Katharine McPhee: I got to sit in a car for two days that didn't move and I got to have the wind blown at me at like 100 miles an hour. I got to stand up in a car that doesn't move with a green screen behind me.

HitFix: See, people don't understand how glamorous Hollywood is.

Katharine McPhee: Yup! I got to grab a rope from basically the bottom of a plane, the fake bottom of a plane on a green screen that wasn't moving. Basically the car never moved. That was shocking to me. I was like, "Wait I'm sorry, we don't move at all? Like the car doesn't move? I don't understand like how does that work?" And when we were shooting in Ontario, and across the way, across the other airport field or I guess you'd say tarmac, you could hear the stunt doubles shooting on the other unit. And we were just like, "Ugh." I was like, "So are you sure?" Because we were going to Justin like, "So your lead actors in 'Fast and the Furious,' they never drove the car?" And he's like, "I'm telling you they never are moving in that car." The difference is they spend two weeks shooting every little tiny angle. Ours is in two or three days. But that was kind of like "Wow, this is going to be really hard." It was, I have to say that scene and the scene with me in my red car driving through the red lights, that scene was very... I mean it was cut quite quick, it was much quicker then what we ended up actually shooting, those are the hardest thing as an actor that I've done. Harder than having to do a crying scene or an emotional scene. It's just really, really difficult to know if you're coming off real. And I think that I, you know, as an actor I'm like, "Okay I can improve on that a little bit..." Because it is a whole other set of skills to learn and work on. I'm incredibly excited to be running and climbing up staircases and running from all kinds of possibilities in these next episodes, because the episodes are going to allow for some of that. And having something be really physical in that way where it's emotional and scary and dangerous, is stuff I've never done. So it's exciting.

HitFix: Do you feel like there's sort of an extension from the choreography that you've gotten to do at various times in your career to just getting out and doing stunts on a low level?

Katharine McPhee: Sure. Yeah, there's a level of all of it that's sort of choreographed, but there is a point where it's like letting go of the choreography and trying not to think about it too much. I think more in particular for this action stuff than the dancing stuff because you can't turn right when you're supposed to turn left and then hit somebody.

HitFix: So, how much did you want Karen to win that Tony?

Katharine McPhee: [She smiles.] That's a great question. I wanted Karen to win!

HitFix: And when did you know that she wouldn't?

Katharine McPhee: Well, not till the finale. I wanted Karen to win. Sure, it's like you become very protective and defensive of your characters. It's like it becomes an extension of you. Yeah, my heart kind of like broke for her. I'm like, "Really? She ends up with this loser guy who goes to jail and she can't even win the Tony?" And she has to have this nasty catfight with a girl who she could have potentially had a great relationship with?
  • AquamanAquaman Member ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be better if the cast of the Big Bang Theory was the crew. :lol:

The 3 guys in this remind me of the 3 judges on Masterchef.
    Justin Lin of the Fast and Furious movies directed the pilot kaya ang ganda nung runway scene *okay*
  • sTaRter_01sTaRter_01 Just Tune In PExer
    I really liked it, it was fast paced and held my attention for the entire pilot.

Good Start.
  • JonnyJonny Charonte Demon PExer
    forg wrote: »
    Jeremy Lin of the Fast and Furious movies directed the pilot kaya ang ganda nung runway scene *okay*

ummm.... you meant Justin Lin, right? Jeremy is the NBA player. :lol:

But yup, I think Justin Lin, is exec producer along with the awesome Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.
    ^ yes sorry I mean Justin Lin :glee: Will edit now :glee:
    oops, I forgot to comment about the show! :eek:

Hopefully, the show survives the timeslot! It's a good show! And Mcphee is HAWT!
  • Rick_diasRick_dias Red Comet
    parang TBBT pero seryoso... lols...
  • somuchwinsomuchwin Where my people at? ✭✭✭
    Ang galing ng pagkakasiksik ng introduction ng mga characters. For a pilot na focus ay group, di na nila kailangan ng another episode to introduce all characters. I understood who they are and what they do in one go.

And that runway scene, parang movie! Intense.

And agree, pag nakakakita ako ng white genius kid, si Jake (of the unfortunate Touch) ang naaalala ko. haha

sidenote, ang tagal ko iniisip kung san ko na nakita they guy playing Walter before, sa GOT (as Rhakaro) pala, thanks IMDB! :glee:
  • JSmooveJSmoove JSmoove Weatherlight
    Wouldn't it be better if they just landed the plane instead of connecting the laptop and all that?

The runway was free naman. And it will take just a few minutes longer.

But besides that, I enjoyed the pilot.
    somuchwin wrote: »
    Ang galing ng pagkakasiksik ng introduction ng mga characters. For a pilot na focus ay group, di na nila kailangan ng another episode to introduce all characters. I understood who they are and what they do in one go.

And that runway scene, parang movie! Intense.

And agree, pag nakakakita ako ng white genius kid, si Jake (of the unfortunate Touch) ang naaalala ko. haha

sidenote, ang tagal ko iniisip kung san ko na nakita they guy playing Walter before, sa GOT (as Rhakaro) pala, thanks IMDB! :glee:

ako naman di ko siya kilala.
    si Paolo Ballesteros kaagad naisip ko ha ha

51bf55ae2f8af_246668n.jpg
    Elyes%20Gabel-Wallpaper.jpg
    10601892_656596821098524_492319590_n.jpg
    JSmoove wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better if they just landed the plane instead of connecting the laptop and all that?

The runway was free naman. And it will take just a few minutes longer.

But besides that, I enjoyed the pilot.

umm... Runway is too short. That size airport doesn't support big jet liners.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file