Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Ano ang mga kwentong hango sa Bibliya ang tumatak sa iyo?

holy_bible.jpg

Stripped of its religious context, THE HOLY BIBLE has few equals as a literary tome.

After all, it is in itself a LIBRARY and arguably considered as THE BOOK OF BOOKS.

For those who grew up steeped in Catholic/Christian rituals/practices, the book provides instructive tales and apocalyptic narratives.

Even to the non-believers, there is no escaping the familiarity of Biblical stories in popular culture. After all 34%, of the 7 billion, more or less, of the world population are Christians.

Hence, the question:

ANO ANG MGA KWENTONG HANGO SA BIBLIYA ANG TUMATAK SA IYO?

Tumatak, in the sense, na paborito mo o di kaya dahil relevant sa buhay or for some other reasons, sentimental or otherwise.

Hangga’t maari hindi ito tungkol sa relihiyon pero kung di maiiwasan, wala sanang buwelta sa anumang sector. Banayad na usapan lamang. Salamat.

ANO ANG MGA KWENTONG HANGO SA BIBLIYA ANG TUMATAK SA IYO? 4 votes

Abraham and Isaac
0% 0 votes
Adam and Eve: The Story of Creation (7 Days)
0% 0 votes
Cain and Abel
0% 0 votes
Daniel and the Lions
0% 0 votes
David and Goliath
0% 0 votes
Moses and the 10 Commandments
25% 1 vote
Noah's Ark
25% 1 vote
Samson and Delilah
0% 0 votes
Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors
25% 1 vote
The Nativity: Christmas Story
25% 1 vote
The Crucifixion/Resurrection
0% 0 votes
Queen Esther
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Zep_TepiZep_Tepi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The story of Moses. From his birth, to the burning bush, the plagues of Egypt, Crossing of the Red Sea...an epic story.

And the Book of Revelations. No matter how you interpret it, whether you believe it or not, the imagery is very rich and vivid.
  • Thanks, Admin/Mod for the poll.

However, is it possible to change Easter to Queen Esther as originally listed? Thanks.
  • Taga-dagatTaga-dagat PEx Rookie ⭐
    Boo! Walang Four Horsemen!
  • Thanks, Admin/Mod for the correction.

---

@Zep-Tepi

THE STORY OF MOSES is one of the most recognizable Biblical stories dahil sa dami ng drama at action.

The most familiar adaptations are Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments and Dreamwork’s The Prince of Egypt.

10273822_563564907097184_8812356520776896837_n.jpg

But can you elaborate bakit tumatak sa iyo?

--

@Taga-dagat

Four Horsemen ba ang hanap mo? Eto sila o.

184780-19088-113982-1-52-aftermath-the-fo.jpg

Seriously, pasensya na. 12 lang yung choices na puwede.

Pero para sa ‘yo, between the Old and the New Testaments, ano ang mas maraming magandang kuwento?

--

By the way, I think the poll is a multiple choice, so one can choose as many he/she likes. (Hopefully, the Admin/Mod can clarify this option. Thanks in advance.)
    MONTO GAWE wrote: »
    Thanks, Admin/Mod for the correction.

---

@Zep-Tepi

THE STORY OF MOSES is one of the most recognizable Biblical stories dahil sa dami ng drama at action.

The most familiar adaptations are Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments and Dreamwork’s The Prince of Egypt.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10273822_563564907097184_8812356520776896837_n.jpg

But can you elaborate bakit tumatak sa iyo?

Because it is an epic story. You don't need to be a Christian to recognize that the story of Moses is a good one. It's the story of a man who was saved from certain death at birth. From living in comfort in Egypt, he became a murderer (killing an Egyptian for beating a Hebrew) and after fleeing, has the encounter with the burning bush.

Then you have the plagues of Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, Mt. Sinai and the Ten Commandments and the years in the wilderness.

It's a great story about a man seeking redemption, overcoming his weaknesses and leading his people to freedom.
    As good as the Moses story is, it is not as vivid as the Book of Revelation, with the number of the beast 666, the Wh0re of Babylon, the Four Horsemen, and yes, the end of the world as we know it.

For the believer, the Book of Revelation offers hope. But even if you're not, it still makes for a good read.
  • Thanks for your insights, Zep-Tepi.

THE BIBLE remains to be a ‘challenge’ for me, I still have to read it in its entirety. I probably read 80% and am familiar with 95% of its stories but....

Hence, I am tempted to ask -

HOW MANY HAVE READ THE BIBLE FROM COVER TO COVER INCLUDING THE COVER?
  • Taga-dagatTaga-dagat PEx Rookie ⭐
    Zep_Tepi wrote: »
    As good as the Moses story is, it is not as vivid as the Book of Revelation, with the number of the beast 666, the Wh0re of Babylon, the Four Horsemen, and yes, the end of the world as we know it.

For the believer, the Book of Revelation offers hope. But even if you're not, it still makes for a good read.

It is a good read regardless of belief, indeed. :)

MONTO GAWE, I think the gravity of stories in OT is too heavy compared to NT, except for Revelations. The heaviest stories were in the Genesis (in which I think Vatican is already declaring as a book not to be taken literally at all) and Exodus, then the Bible's god's power drastically dwindled down into making a few barrels of water into wine, a few sick guys getting healed back, among others, with the exception only of the last book.
  • Taga-dagat wrote: »
    It is a good read regardless of belief, indeed. :)

MONTO GAWE, I think the gravity of stories in OT is too heavy compared to NT, except for Revelations. The heaviest stories were in the Genesis (in which I think Vatican is already declaring as a book not to be taken literally at all) and Exodus, then the Bible's god's power drastically dwindled down into making a few barrels of water into wine, a few sick guys getting healed back, among others, with the exception only of the last book.

IF you see the stories from the ‘religious-spiritual’ standpoint then perhaps others would view NT's impact more significantly, if not differently. But we’re not getting there.

I’d agree however that the Old Testament are more ‘literary’ in their structure and context. The NT has the Parables and End-Of-Times Vision while the OT has the prophecies then the Proverbs and Psalms plus Sirach.

Probably the reason I have yet to finish reading the Bible is because of the way NT is written. I just find the OT more engaging, I think.
  • Kung naisama ang The Parable of the Prodigal Son. The parable illustrates the nature of God the Father, a forgiving, kind and loving Father.
  • alchemistofophiralchemistofophir PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Cain and Abel. The Book of Revelations.
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    My favorite has always been Gideon's campaign in Judges. If the Bible had any story that merit song "I Stand Alone" by Godsmack (which is also an aptly named band in this regard :glee:) this would be it. Genocide, no shelter, total war, God layeth the smacketh down/I will smithe thee with the back of my righteous right hand all in one. :glee:

I like how God chose, to prove a point, men for no particular reason (drinking water) just to cut their numbers to prove that it doesn't matter if he sends one retarded guy that don't know how to fight they'd still win. It's kinda like Mike Tyson telling his opponent that he'll fight them with one arm and two legs tied, he'd still TKO. :glee:

Is it me or it's a coincidence that the number came around "300"? :glee:

Job, I like. Esp. Job 2:10 "You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?" Reminds me of a speech by Churchill: "But we must learn to be equally good at what is short and sharp and what is long and tough." (Speech to Harrow School). Applicable with 'fair weather friends'.

I also like Hezekiah, Samuel, Elijah (one of the few Biblical figures venerated by all Abrahamic faithfuls) and Cyrus (the only foreign conqueror 'sent' by God as a savior, rather than conqueror/punishment in all of the old testament).
  • I love the stories in the book of Judges. It's bloody, violent and dare I say sexually debauched. :lol:

My favorite story is about Jael who welcomed a fleeing Captain Sisera into her tent, gave him milk and a place to rest only to kill him in his sleep by driving a peg through his head. :naughty: And then that last story about the Levite and his concubine.
  • - Number of total Bibles Printed: 6,001,500,000
    - About 50 Bibles are sold every minute
    - The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.

- The Bible, the world's best-selling book (6B), is also the world's most shoplifted book. (Koran (2 Billion) and The Little Red Book (1 Billion) comprise the Top 3 Best-Sellers of All Time.)

- The shortest verse in the NIV Bible is John 11:35: "Jesus wept."
    - Longest Verse in the Bible: Esther 8:9
    - Longest Word in the Bible: Mahershalalhashbaz (Isaiah 8:3)

- St Paul wrote 14 (of the 27) books of the New Testament.
    - The last word in the Bible is AMEN

SOURCES:

http://christian-talk.forumotion.com/t1466-interesting-facts-about-bible-did-you-know-that
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/bibles-printed/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations
    http://www.ehow.com/about_4672323_selling-books-time.html