COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Retro 105.9

Comments

• broadcast64broadcast64 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    The 'sourgraping' page again updated its profile pic.   =)=)=)

https://www.facebook.com/Retro-1059-600250240059142/

• muneakiramuneakira Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    The 'sourgraping' page again updated its profile pic.   =)=)=)

https://www.facebook.com/Retro-1059-600250240059142/

Poor Jimmy Jam. 

So bitter. The old man can’t seem to move on. Must be his second childhood kicking in. 

• James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A Facebook friend of mine Dominic Alfred just informed me that the reports of Retro reformatting are not true.
    It's not a claim nor fake news. A new investor is taking over. This isn't mere parlor gossip.
    Nor am I any other Tom, D*ck nor Harry. (My) sources are very reliable. You can take it or leave it, it's entirely up to you.
    Reformat? Yes. To what? Let's say it's a path least travelled.
    All will be revealed soon. Stay tuned.
    Still no new breaking news from our resident radio savant?

LOL

Did the new investor end up trolling you?

What of the very reliable sources that weren’t spewing mere parlor gossip?
    In fairness, we do not know if there were developments on the last minute that might have affected any of the plans, hence the status quo. Still, Retro remains my default car radio station.
    In fairness, we do not know if there were developments on the last minute that might have affected any of the plans, hence the status quo. Still, Retro remains my default car radio station.
    In fairness, there was never any proof presented that any change of ownership or management was going to happen, hence the status quo.

Hence, fake news.
  • midnight_ridermidnight_rider Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    muneakira said:
    In fairness, there was never any proof presented that any change of ownership or management was going to happen, hence the status quo.

Hence, fake news.
    It's more like premature, not fake, news. Delays got in the way. Let's see. 
  • ChildOfTheNightChildOfTheNight I sleep early now. PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    muneakira said:

Hence, fake news.
    Ano ba yan, bibilhin na ba ni Jimmy Jam ang Retro? Hahaha! Anyway, mukhang taken down na yung Retro FB page na mina-manage ni Jimmy Jam.
    muneakira said:

Hence, fake news.
    Ano ba yan, bibilhin na ba ni Jimmy Jam ang Retro? Hahaha! Anyway, mukhang taken down na yung Retro FB page na mina-manage ni Jimmy Jam.
  • midnight_ridermidnight_rider Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    As of late this afternoon, Retro signed off. For good. Still fake news? 
    edited May 2018
    As of late this afternoon, Retro signed off. For good. Still fake news? 
    Apparently not. It was really just delayed gratification after all. It just happened to be preceded by premature horn self-tooting.

Congratulations to you, Jimmy Jam! Your daddy bought you your playground back. 

A group led by Jonathan Jabson and Manuel Pagsuyuin strolled into Retro's premises this evening and announced that they were taking over the station.

edited May 2018
    So, until we find out what the old guys are gonna try to do now, I suppose it's time for a new round of "Guess The New Format!"
    muneakira said:
    So, until we find out what the old guys are gonna try to do now, I suppose it's time for a new round of "Guess The New Format!"

My guess is it will be "I'm better than all of you guys" d*ck-wagging-Jimmy-Jam kind of format. But I don't know lol
    muneakira said:

My guess is it will be "I'm better than all of you guys" d*ck-wagging-Jimmy-Jam kind of format. But I don't know lol
    If that is the case, I hope they retain/improve the current retro format and bring back DJs to give FM2 a worthy alternative (i would have said competition but its a government station that is not supposed to compete for ad placements)
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Got reliable information that the people behind Retro haven't been paying their lease for quite some time already. No details yet, though, as to who will take over from hereon. 

There might be a different set of personalities who may be interested though. They're familiar names in the radio industry, and I won't be surprised if they take a closer look at what's happening with the station now.

As for the Jabson / Pagsuyuin alleged takeover, I've no information in that regard.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Latest:

Retro is now 105.9 LIKE-FM with the "thumbs-up" sign as its logo.

They are now on test broadcast with no less than Jimmy Jam on board. Jimmy is music director where he will select from the best hits of the 80's. It may be an attempt on Like-FM's part to go head-to-head with FM2. Having Jimmy as music director augurs well because of his vast knowledge of music from several eras, particularly in the 80's.

The Ojedas (who ran Retro) apparently couldn't settle their monthly lease to Francis Lumen, the major leasor of Brightstar of the Aguirre family that owns the station and frequency. Jonathan Jabson (JJ Sparks to us) has taken over and is apparently backed by Korean investors. Sparks, who first put up Retro sometime in 2014 before leaving the station a year after, is now back and may retain his sign-on schedule. So far, only he and Jam are the DJ's involved. Karen, who was part of the original Retro cast with Sparks and Jam, hasn't confirmed yet. The technicians have been retained though.

Best of luck to the new guys of 105.9. At least, it's reassuring to retain the 105.9 frequency on my preset channels!
  • ralphierceralphierce Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited May 2018
    105.9 is such an unpredictable frequency. No stability whatsoever. They went from:

1992-98: LA 105.9 (rock music ala NU 107)
    1998-2000: LA 105.9 (EDM & Top 40)
    2003-07: Blazin' 105.9 (R&B, rap & hip-hop)
    2007-11: RJ Underground Radio 105.9 (rock music ala NU 107 & Jam 88.3)
    2011-14: Radio High 105.9 (jazz)
    2014-18: Retro 105.9 (classic hits)
    2018-now: Like 105.9 (likely classic/Top 40)

So many rebrands in nearly 30 years, plus a hiatus of three years. Looks like this channel is a curse to those who operate with its poor history.
  • Adamant22Adamant22 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited May 2018
    Like FM? Retro sounds better. But let's see.
    JJ Sparks again? Can't expect too much from him though. Unless he goes on graveyard shift. I dont wanna hear Voltes V theme and Extasi Extano again! He shouldn't be on the morning slot for crying out loud. Like FM is doomed from the start if that's the case.
    Hope Jimmy Jam, Karen and Joshua will be back full time. Let's find out if they can swing back FM2 listeners with JJ Sparks at the helm.
  • sirmacsirmac Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited May 2018
    Actually, they're more into Top 40, with 2 songs from the 90s & 1 song from the 80s, per hour. More like Adult-leaning Top 40.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file