Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

TheMovieMan's top 9 of anything MOVIES!

Hey, movie geeks!

The '13-'14 academic year is coming to a close in the coming weeks and graduation season is upon us! I'd like to know your Favorite Graduation Films.

Here is my top 9,
TheMovieMan's Top 9 Movies About Graduation:

1) Say Anything (1989)

03-Grad-Movies.jpg

The boombox scene is just glorious. If this film was made in today's technology, how do you think will John Cusack execute his gesture?

2) American Pie (1999)

american_pie_30269.jpg

Who doesn't love American Pie?

3) Grease (1978)

tumblr_mk8zzl9ZjT1s80z7ho1_500.gif

Before John Travolta was popular with his badassery in Pulp Fiction and Face/Off, he was the essential leading man of musicals.

4) Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

ferris-bueller.png

5) Dead Poets Society (1989)

10-Grad-Movies.jpg

Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.

6) The Spectacular Now (2013)

tumblr_my2pna6oYo1qj362co1_500.gif

Based on Tim Tharp's novel of the same name, this Miles Teller-Shailene Woodley drama is one of the most memorable graduation films in recent memory; telling us to live in the spectacular now.

7) A Cinderella Story (2004)

08-Grad-Movies.jpg

Yup, the ultimate 'kilig' film of Hilary Duff.

8) Superbad (2007)

tumblr_m0w6w2oSek1qi5hpuo1_500.gif

McLovin. Need I say more?

9) High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008)

06-Grad-Movies.jpg

A list about graduation films won't be complete without this one!

So what are YOUR favorite films about graduation?

Comments

• carlhirocarlhiro PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    My favorite film about graduation is Endless Love. #chauce :lol:

Counted ba ang Legally Blonde?
  • hydrangeahydrangea Administrator PEx Moderator
    Agree on Dead Poets, Spectacular Now and High School Musical: Senior Year. :lol:

Adding Can't Hardly Wait to the mix. :hiya:

Locally, I would say, it's still Bagets. :lol:
  • carlhirocarlhiro PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Yeah! Can't Hardly Wait! :)
  • Cinderella Story
    Twilight: Eclipse
    10 Things I Hate About You
    She's All That
    You Again (although alumni na yun mga characters, super laughtrip!)
    Cruel Intentions (graduating students naman sila Reese at Ryan dito eh.) *pusa*
  • chevy_camaro23chevy_camaro23 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    One thing's on my mind, With Honors starring Brendan Fraser and Joe Pesci.

One of my faves. *okay*
  • Carrie(1976)- Probably, one of the greatest horror movie ever made, The Prom is one of the most memorable scene in cinematic history at least, It tackles the downsides of being a teenagers, and don't be a bully.

The Perks of being a Wallflower(2012)- The most intricate and the best executed YA NOVEL of all time, besting out the Hunger Games, Wallflower is a powerful film, because of it's emotional level, and the characters were thoroughly cast and an Oscar Worthy Performance.

Post-Grad(2009)- Although, many of you will not agree with me, I enjoyed this film very much, It's funny, charming and light dramedy.

I Love You, Beth Cooper(2009)- Once Again, Many of you will disagree, but this much better than Post-Grad, although heavy- reliant on stereotypes and cliche humours, It is still fun to watch and very entertaining.

Dead Poet's Society(1989)- Carpe Diem, My Favorite Graduation Film of All-Time, Robin Williams explicit tremendous performance and thanks to the supporting cast this movie is an entertaining but smart movie.
  • Hey, PExers!

The sun is out and so is the list of my Top 9 Summer Films!

TheMovieMan's Top 9 Summer Movies:

1) Super 8 (2011)

super-8.jpg

This sci-fi thriller from JJ Abrams is a hat tip to Steven Spielberg's works, masterfully telling us the uncanny events of the summer of 1979 in a small town in Ohio.

2) Jaws (1975)

Jaws-Shark.jpg

Speaking of Spielberg, number 2 on my Top 9 list of Summer Movies is Jaws, a classic summer film for all beachgoers.

"Bruce" the Shark is still believable to me!

3) Stand by Me (1986)

stand-by-me-coin-flip.jpg

Ahh. The quintessential coming-of-age juvenile drama.

4) Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

tumblr_mabwxwAfOK1rgcvr9o1_500.gif

Hipster lord Wes Anderson brings summer to everybody's eyes in Moonrise Kingdom. This "eccentric pubescent love story" with mustard yellows and Instagram's Rise filter popping out off the screen makes it one of my all-time favorite Summer Movies.

5) Almost Famous (2000)

almost-famous-almost-famous-61998_1024_7681.jpg

"I am a golden god!"

6) Dazed and Confused (1993)

dazed3.jpg

Wait a minute, I'm seeing a trend here, why do coming-of-age dramas always happen in the summer?

7) Kings of Summer (2013)

tumblr_my5e1hBdDJ1rkqofno1_500.gif

I am strongly suggesting this movie if you haven't seen it yet! The premise is simple: Three teenagers move out of their comfortable homes, build their own house in the woods and live like men. Interesting, right?

8) (500) Days of Summer [2009]

tumblr_m601r137Oh1qhc9fjo1_500.gif

Technically NOT a summer flick, (500) Days of Summer is too hard to leave out on my list.

9) Adventureland (2009)

uhq-adventureland-stills-kris-looking-gorgeous-twilight-series-8217686-2560-1679.jpeg

That shirt though.
  • silverwhizsilverwhiz 10th PEx Oscar Pool Winner
    4) Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

tumblr_mabwxwAfOK1rgcvr9o1_500.gif

Hipster lord Wes Anderson brings summer to everybody's eyes in Moonrise Kingdom. This "eccentric pubescent love story" with mustard yellows and Instagram's Rise filter popping out off the screen makes it one of my all-time favorite Summer Movies.

This is definitely on top of my list. *okay*
    How about Meatballs?

:note: are you ready for the summer? are you ready for the good times? :note: in that annoyingly nasal kiddie voice. :rotfl:
  • strandedstrangerstrandedstranger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    9. The Parent Trap (1998)

tumblr_m76fztfxP11rxpo3qo1_500.gif

Director: Nancy Meyers

The Parent Trap featured a summer vacation of two twin sisters who wanted their parents to be back together. This comedy flick will not only get you laughing but it will surely get to your hearts.

8. Temptation Island (1980)

tumblr_lk3ehyNu3R1qbp0bro1_500.gif

Director: Joey Gosiengfiao

Trapped in an island after an unfortunate sea accident, five different women and some hot guys must face having to survive a deserted island without any food or water. This movie is fun to watch because of the relationship dynamics of the leads and their compelling background coming into play in this summer movie.

7. (500) Days of Summer (2009)

500-days-of-summer-love-subtitle-text-zooey-deschanel-Favim.com-231125.gif

Director: Marc Webb

I was going to say the same thing Movie Man did in his last. While technically not a summer film, 500 Days of Summer is a classic movie that is reserved in a special place in my collection of movies.

6. Grease (1978)

tumblr_mmtkohmXol1rzufg9o1_500.gif

Director: Randal Kleiser

Summer loving had me a blast, Summer loving happened so fast
    I met a girl crazy for me, Met a boy cute as can be
    Summer days drifting away, To, uh oh, those summer nights

5. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

tumblr_inline_n1h8piRzj51sohk3w.gif

Director: Jim Gillespie

We certainly did.

4. Face/Off (1997)

33da5-faceoff.gif

Director: John Woo

I watched this movie with my friends last summer trip to Puerto Galera. I have a thing for action movies so this movie belongs here. So much memories TBH.

3. Y Tumama Tambien (2001)

c8f8bc6f.gif

Director: Alfonso Cuar?n\

Yes and No. Yes, the picture above was my most favorite scene in the movie but no this coming of age story is not my favorite just because of the above scene. Directed by Oscar-winning Cuaron.

2. Brokeback Mountain (2005)

The-Kiss-brokeback-mountain-21479591-500-233.gif

Director: Ang Lee

Do I need to even mention why?

1. Eternal Summer (2006)

eternal_summer.jpg

Director: Leste Chen

One of my all-time favorites. If you think this is open-ended, watch how the movie began.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Jaws and [500] Days of Summer. Pwede ba Grease, well hindi sya summer naka-set but the song's energy reminds me a lot of the summer vibe :D
  • Still looking for films to see this coming Semana Santa?

TheMovieMan's 9 Must-See Movies this Holy Week:

1) Sister Act (1 and 2)

tumblr_mh3mjyPx6P1rj35teo1_500.gif

Whoopi Goldberg shines in this 90's musical comedy. I personally believe that Sister Act is better than Pitch Perfect. Yup, you read that right.

2) The Prince of Egypt

the_prince_of_egypt_wallpaper-404111-1284260727.jpeg

Want to see an animated film perfect for the Holy Week? Prince of Egypt is not only that but is also a great history lesson about The Book of Exodus.

3) Pedro Calungsod: Batang Martir

Rocco-as-Pedro-Calungsod.png

Rocco Nacino plays the title role, San Pedro Calungsod, the second Filipino saint known for giving his life to Christ since childhood.

4) Lord of the Rings/Star Wars/Harry Potter/The Godfather/Pirates of the Carribbean/any trilogy Marathon!

Star-Wars-X-Men-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Harry-Potter-Charles-Xavie-Use-The-Force-Harry-Gandalf-Movie.jpg

It's a yearly tradition for me to marathon trilogies. Three years ago, I started it with an LotR marathon. The next year, with Star Wars. Last year, it was The Godfather. For this year, I'm planning to watch all 8 HP films. Wish me luck!

5) Jesus Christ Superstar

220px-JCSuperstarFilmCover.jpg

There's a musical about Jesus Christ?! Yup. Also, HuffPost named this as their "Best Jesus Movie" in 2012.

6) Magnifico

CTC-3879-image4.jpg

Prepare your tissues, my friends.

7) Schindler's List

Schindlers-List-Oliwia-Da-010.jpg

Good luck on hiding your tears during the latter part of the film.

"I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!"

8) Himala

The quintessential Filipino film for Holy Week, and we're not talking about Matt Ranillo's performance as Kristo.

9) The Passion of the Christ

shock_passion_of_the_christ.jpg

And to round out this week's list is Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ. This film has quickly cemented its place as the most prolific Holy Week film of all-time.
    Still looking for films to see this coming Semana Santa?

TheMovieMan's 9 Must-See Movies this Holy Week:

1) Sister Act (1 and 2)

http://37.media.tumblr.com/2753fc4c8845215567544de813c84d96/tumblr_mh3mjyPx6P1rj35teo1_500.gif

Whoopi Goldberg shines in this 90's musical comedy. I personally believe that Sister Act is better than Pitch Perfect. Yup, you read that right.

I agree with this one. Lauryn Hill singing Joyful, Joyful. :handsdown:

also adding Huling Birhen sa Lupa starring Maui Taylor and Ara Mina. :naughty:

I kid. :lol:
  • mamabellemamabelle PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

4) Lord of the Rings/Star Wars/Harry Potter/The Godfather/Pirates of the Carribbean/any trilogy Marathon!

http://www.listofimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Star-Wars-X-Men-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Harry-Potter-Charles-Xavie-Use-The-Force-Harry-Gandalf-Movie.jpg

It's a yearly tradition for me to marathon trilogies. Three years ago, I started it with an LotR marathon. The next year, with Star Wars. Last year, it was The Godfather. For this year, I'm planning to watch all 8 HP films. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I'm actually preparing my LOTR and Star Wars marathon, I plan to do both from Friday till Saturday no sleep intended :lol:
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I say include THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST ,THE ROBE and EASTER PARADE
  • _Zei_Emu__Zei_Emu_ PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I always watch The Passion of the Christ every Holy Week.

I'm planning to rewatch Jesus of Nazareth and The Ten Commandments.
  • Nice that THE PRINCE OF EGYPT is included.

And the Cuaresma staples, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS mentioned.

Other worthy additions:

I CONFESS
    A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
    BABETTE'S FEAST
    CHILDREN OF HEAVEN
    BICYCLE THIEF

BUT I strongly recommend these:

1) CHOCOLAT

2) HEART AND SOULS

3) LILIES OF THE FIELD
    I forgot to add, for some 80s local movies: Nakausap ko ang Birhen starring Lotlot de Leon.
  • Pedro Calungsod? Is this some kind of self whipping thing in the spirit of Holy Week? That movie is terrible. Crappy pacing, mediocre acting, and the plot is so pointless all it does is show how Pedro is so nice and likes stroking his cross.

It's not even so bad it's funny, it's just bad.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    does it have to be religious in nature .....

pwede namang inspirational.

216339_1020_A.jpg