Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

UNBROKEN (Directed by Angelina Jolie)

jammerakwaii10jammerakwaii10 SeeTheLight PEx Expert 🎖️

Based sa trailer, the cinematography is impeccable. Will Roger Deakins finally win an Oscar after 11 nominations?
Angelina Jolie debuts 'Unbroken' footage at CinemaCon

When prestige is what you’re going for, it certainly doesn’t hurt to have one of the most famous women in the world as your centerpiece. And so onto the stage strode Angelina Jolie, stunning in white, to introduce her second directorial effort, the adaptation of Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken, to an audience of theater owners at Tuesday’s CinemaCon.

According to Universal Pictures chairwoman Donna Langley, it was Jolie’s chase of Olympian and POW Louis Zamperini’s story that pushed this project — originally developed by the studio in 1957 as a starring vehicle for Tony Curtis — to the big screen. Called “a force of nature” by Langley, Jolie took center stage to tell the story of Zamperini, a running star in the 1936 Olympics, who was shot down in a B-24 over a Japanese island and taken prisoner along with his survivors.

Jack O’Connell is playing Zamperini in a film shot by Oscar-nominated cinematographer Roger Deakins and scored by Oscar-nominated composer Alexandre Desplat.

“Louis Zamperini is the toughest man I have ever met. A fighter and a true hero. A man full of faith and humility,” says Jolie. “But he wasn’t always perfect. Smoking, stealing, and drinking from the time he was 9. He was convinced he was worth nothing and full of darkness.”

She adds her reason for making the movie: “In the end its message is one we all need now more than ever — the journey of a man finding his way through the darkness and into the light. It’s about an imperfect person… someone who helps to remind us all what each of us is capable of.”

Jolie was the only talent present during Universal’s slate presentation, which was chock-full of highlights from both 2014 and into 2015.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/03/25/angelina-jolie-unbroken-footage-cinemacon/

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Looks very promising
  • jammerakwaii10jammerakwaii10 SeeTheLight PEx Expert 🎖️
    ^May 7 minutes preview pinakita ng Universal sa Cinemacon. Hopefully e-upload nila yun. :D As far as the reaction sa Cinemacon, magagandang reviews ang nababasa ko. Though sana wag majinx. :lol:
    UNBROKEN new official Trailer:

Looks epic!

I don't want to jinx the movie. :lol:
  • audreyjaneaudreyjane ♡ PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Love the trailer! :D
    NEW TRAILER OUT FOR ANGELINA JOLIE-DIRECTED “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

34ry6gg.jpg

Universal Pictures has just debuted the new trailer for director Angelina Jolie's “Unbroken,” starring Jack O'Connell, Domhnall Gleeson, Miyavi, Garrett Hedlund and Finn Wittrock. The trailer may be viewed below:

“Unbroken” is an epic drama that follows the incredible life of Olympian and war hero Louis "Louie" Zamperini (Jack O'Connell) who, along with two other crewmen, survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash in WWII - only to be caught by the Japanese Navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.

Adapted from Laura Hillenbrand's ("Seabiscuit: An American Legend") enormously popular book, “Unbroken” brings to the big screen Zamperini's unbelievable and inspiring true story about the resilient power of the human spirit.

Opening across the Philippines on February 2015, “Unbroken” is distributed by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.
  • AquamanAquaman PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Miyavi who played the Japanese prison camp commander was very good in this movie.

Zamperini was beaten so many times, icluding when the Japanese made all the prisoners punch him. How any can survive the kind of punishment is difficult to imagine.

Angelina Jolie did a good job.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ milagro, nobody is cry out load to edit the post to cover the with spoiler tags.

this based on a very long biography (book) which spanned the childhood to the post WWII experience of the protagonist.

based on the bad reviews, they had to compress the lifestory into as short movie.
  • AquamanAquaman PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A critic said this is like the Passion of the Christ of world war 2.

Major complaint was they didn't touch on what happened to Zamperini after the war. As most war veterans he suffered from PTSD & alcoholism. And he had a tremendous hatred for his captors. He wanted to kill them after the war was over. Overcoming that would have been a big part in his being "Unbroken."

He did met with his captors and forgave them. Except for the "Bird." The "Bird" refused to meet him. That part wasn't in the movie but was only explained right before the credits.

But overall its still a good movie.
    Forg, kailan ang showing nito sa Pinas?

Maganda ang resulta nito sa Box Office, though mixed yung critics (as expected). :D
    ^ Last week of February yung tentative schedule, subject to change pa. I think nag aabang ang distributor for the Oscar nominations ;)
    Feb. 18 is now the official schedule of local release cofnfrimed by the distributor's publicist
  • Looking forward to watching this.:D
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Kakapanood ko lang kanina
    It's really good! A must-see

- 4.5/5
    2432_FPT2_00246RV2_CROP.jpg

HUMAN SPIRIT TRIUMPHS IN UNBELIEVABLE TRUE STORY “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

Academy Award® winner Angelina Jolie directs and produces “Unbroken,” an epic drama that follows the incredible life of Olympian and war hero Louis “Louie” Zamperini (Jack O'Connell of “300: Rise of an Empire”) who survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash during World War II—only to be caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a series of prisoner-of-war camps.

Adapted from Laura Hillenbrand's (“Seabiscuit”) enormously popular book, “Unbroken” brings to the big screen Louie Zamperini’s unbelievable and inspiring true story about triumph over tribulation and the resilient power of the human spirit.

Set against the backdrop of a world teetering on the brink of collapse in the Pacific Theater of World War II, “Unbroken” follows the journey of Louie from a carefree young scoundrel to a battle-weary-yet-defiant POW who becomes a beacon of hope for a nation mired in global conflict. His tale, but a single page in the voluminous story of the brothers-in-arms who fought and turned the tide of 20th-century history, is one of tragedy to triumph—epitomizing what it means to fight one’s way out of darkness and into the light.

Starring alongside O’Connell in this gripping saga are Domhnall Gleeson (“Harry Potter” series) and Finn Wittrock (HBO’s “The Normal Heart”) as Capt. Russell Allen “Phil” Phillips and Sgt. Francis “Mac” McNamara—the airmen with whom Zamperini endured perilous weeks adrift in the open Pacific. Playing the fellow military men who find an unexpected camaraderie during their time in the air or in their difficult POW internments together are Garrett Hedlund (“TRON: Legacy”) as Cmdr. John Fitzgerald, Jai Courtney (“Divergent”) as Hugh “Cup” Cuppernell, John Magaro (“The Box”) as Frank Tinker, Luke Treadaway (“Clash of the Titans”) as Miller and Ross Anderson (“The Silent Storm”) as Blackie. In his English-language feature debut, Japanese actor Miyavi portrays the merciless camp guard Cpl. Mutsuhiro Watanabe, known to the men he ruled over as “The Bird.”

In bringing Unbroken to the screen, Jolie leads an accomplished behind-the-scenes crew that includes 11-time Academy Award®-nominated cinematographer Roger Deakins (“Skyfall”), production designer Jon Hutman (“Something’s Gotta Give”), editors Tim Squyres (“Life of Pi”) and Oscar® winner William Goldenberg (“Argo”), costume designer Louise Frogley (“Quantum of Solace”) and composer Alexandre Desplat (“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”).

The screenplay for Unbroken is by Oscar® winners Joel Coen & Ethan Coen (“No Country for Old Men”) and Richard Lagravanese (HBO’s “Behind the Candelabra”) and William Nicholson (“Les Misérables”).

Opening across the Philippines on February 18, “Unbroken” is distributed by United International Pictures through
    ANGELINA JOLIE'S PASSION FOR DIRECTING REMAINS “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

UNB-AJolie_01.jpg

Angelina Jolie’s first feature-film directorial effort, 2011’s “In the Land of Blood and Honey” was an auspicious debut and received strong reviews and a Golden Globe Award Best nomination for Best Foreign Language film. It wasn’t surprising that the urge to continue a career as a filmmaker persisted in Jolie, even as the subject matter of another directorial effort eluded her. “I would be lying in bed thinking I want to do something meaningful. But what was it? I needed some help, some guidance,” she gives.

The living, breathing embodiment of the guidance Jolie sought, and of the themes and values that pique her interest—courage and endurance, the resilience of the human spirit, faith, forgiveness and redemption—turned out to be quite nearby. She found it wholly in the person of one of her neighbors, a living legend whose home, unbeknownst to her, was nearby her family’s house in the Hollywood Hills.

When producer Matthew Baer introduced Jolie to the “Unbroken” working script in 2012, she was immediately taken by Louis Zamperini’s tale. “I was intrigued by the draft I read, but it was after I read Laura Hillenbrand’s book that I knew I wanted to direct the film,” Jolie says. “Like the millions of readers who find themselves unable to put down the book once they start it, I was drawn into the incredible story of Louie’s journey and Laura’s brilliant re-creation and rich documentation of pivotal events that shape the last century.

“Unbroken” is an epic drama that follows the incredible life of Olympian and war hero Louis “Louie” Zamperini (Jack O'Connell of “300: Rise of an Empire”) who survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash during World War II—only to be caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a series of prisoner-of-war camps. Adapted from Laura Hillenbrand's (“Seabiscuit”) enormously popular book, “Unbroken” brings to the big screen Louie Zamperini’s unbelievable and inspiring true story about triumph over tribulation and the resilient power of the human spirit.

Jolie admits that the themes that Hillenbrand explored moved her as much as Louie’s life itself did: “There’s so much pain in the world. I feel that we need stories like this today—the journey of a man finding his way through darkness and into the light—stories that can help us, inspire us, show us something remarkable and make us feel positive about life.”
    It was during this process of Jolie discovering Louie’s story that Baer told her that Louie was her neighbor. “Louie could actually see the roof of my house from his living-room window,” she laughs. “Little did I know that he’d been right there all the time…all the while I was trying to figure out what to do next with my life.”

This confluence of events lit a fire inside of Jolie; she felt she had to helm “Unbroken.” But she would learn that winning this coveted directorship would not be an easy task. “I had to fight to get the job,” she shares. “I had to fight very hard, not only prove to the studio I could do it, but later, to prove it to myself. And I also had to prove it to Louie, which took some time.”
    Jolie went about the task by steeping herself in Louie’s story, researching all its aspects for hours on end, learning everything she could about him and his era and deciphering how to tell the story best on the screen. A sweeping historical drama that stretches from 1920s Torrance and the 1936 Berlin Olympics to the high stakes air battles of World War II was only the half of it. Jolie would need to take audiences into the terrifying ordeal of being adrift in the ocean for 47 days and then the powerful experience of a more than two-year internment as a prison of war.

When Louie found out that a well-known actress was going to direct the film, it required some getting used to. It wasn’t long, however, before he embraced Jolie and welcomed her into his extended family. “Angie called and said she was going to direct the movie,” Louie said. “I’d only seen her on the news because I don’t go to the movies anymore. But I knew that they called her the most beautiful girl in the world. Then she came to the house. What a doll! What a sweetheart! I saw right away she’s got not only beauty but brains. She’s very considerate, and she has a charitable heart. I thought, ‘What else do you need?’”
    Producer Baer, who’d been the champion of Louie’s story for so long and was shepherding the project, was readily convinced. “Angie and I had a three-hour conversation on the phone about the project. She is a brilliantly creative person. I heard her passion and knew her as a filmmaker of force and will. I knew she was the person to do this.”

Opening across the Philippines on February 18, “Unbroken” is distributed by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.

“300” STAR JACK O'CONNELL PLAYS REAL-LIFE WAR HERO IN “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

Unbroken_7.jpg

He received wide acclaim as the tenacious young Greek soldier in the global box-office hit “300: Rise of an Empire.” Now, Jack O'Connell gets his biggest breakthrough role as the Olympian and World War II hero Louis Zamperini in the Angelina Jolie-directed epic drama, “Unbroken.”

The critically acclaimed film follows the incredible life of Louis “Louie” Zamperini who survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash during World War II—only to be caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a series of prisoner-of-war camps.

Adapted from Laura Hillenbrand’s (“Seabiscuit: An American Legend”) enormously popular book, “Unbroken” brings to the big screen Louie Zamperini’s unbelievable and inspiring true story about triumph over tribulation and the resilient power of the human spirit.

First and foremost among the casting challenges facing Jolie was discovering the film’s Louie. Who would be able to embody all of the elements required of a young actor to play this extraordinary man? “It was such a very difficult task,” Jolie recounts. “We had to find somebody who not only had a physical resemblance to Louie, but someone the audience would want to go on this journey with…someone who looked like he belonged in the period of the movie and didn’t look too modern.

“He also had to be someone you would believe as an Olympic athlete, someone who could survive a plane crash and the most intense deprivation, first adrift in the ocean in a raft for 47 days and then, for the remainder of the war, endure physical and mental abuse in several Japanese POW camps,” the director continues. “We had to have someone who’d be able to do all these things physically and also have a strong spirit.”

It was a daunting process, she admits. Lightning did strike, however, in the person of Jack O’Connell, a then 23-year-old British actor who made a deep impression on all involved. O’Connell made his feature debut in the feted British independent film “This Is England,” appearing subsequently in several other low-budget features. He gained prominence with the U.K. television drama “Skins” and was last seen in fearless performances in the prison drama “Starred Up” and the action-adventure “300: Rise of an Empire.”

“At the end of his audition, when I heard his real accent, I was intrigued,” recounts Jolie. “Then I saw footage of some of the work he’d recently done and I saw this fire, a sense of someone who could understand the greater meaning of the film. When I finally met Jack, I couldn’t stop smiling because there was something about the way he carried himself, and the way he talked about his life and his family, that connected to Louie and the story. I could see that he was a fighter. I knew at 23 it might be difficult for Jack to understand and bring to life the universal themes of the story—the level of sensitivity required to understand love, loyalty, faith and forgiveness doesn’t always come with a fighter. But the more we spoke, I saw that Jack understood the themes of the story and would love and respect Louie.”

For his part, the performer was certain that he was the man for the job. “I felt so excited and honored when I heard about the film and asked to audition,” O’Connell relays. “I was absolutely astounded when I learned I had won the part. It is definitely the biggest honor of my life to be able to portray someone whom I have, hand on heart, no guilt in calling a legend. There’s no doubt it was a big, big challenge. It’s difficult to comprehend the physical and mental endurance of this man, let alone have to portray it.”

O’Connell dived into his preparations, immersing himself in Louie’s life and Hillenbrand’s book, listening to period-specific music and watching films from the era, the very first steps in what would be an unforgettable, life-changing journey.

Opening across the Philippines on February 18, “Unbroken” is distributed by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.
    OSCAR-WINNING COEN BROTHERS WRITE SCRIPT FOR JOLIE'S “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

joel-ethan-coen1.jpg

The Academy Award-winning tandem of Joel and Ethan Coen has been known to write screenplays that they will themselves direct (“True Grit,” “No Country for Old Men,” “Fargo”). They now make a rare exception for the Angelina Jolie-directed war film, “Unbroken.”

The critically acclaimed film follows the incredible life of Louis “Louie” Zamperini who survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash during World War II—only to be caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a series of prisoner-of-war camps.

Since Louie’s story entails an abundance of events that unfold over nearly a century, some difficult decisions had to be made about not only how to tell the story but how much of it to tell movie audiences.
    Angelina Jolie sent a working version of the script to Joel and Ethan Coen, with whom she shares an agent and is quite friendly, to see if they’d be willing to contribute to a new draft that reflected her sensibilities. Celebrated Oscar®-winning filmmakers, the Coen brothers’ output reflects a compelling and particular vision; they seldom write material for other artists. But the brothers agreed that a good story is a good story, and they were intrigued by Louie’s life. One of Ethan’s sons was a fan of Laura Hillenbrand’s book from which the movie is based, and Joel was similarly curious. Also, the timing was right. They had just completed “Inside Llewyn Davis” and were available to work on the script.

Jolie felt that the filmic story should end with Louie’s return from the war, believing his fascinating postwar life in California could be an entirely new movie altogether. The Coens were in agreement. “It seemed a shame not to film every aspect of Louie’s life,” Jolie says, “but this is a different medium and we had to be true to that. I made charts outlining all the themes of the story—Louie’s faith, athletic ability, courage and endurance—all the themes that run through `Unbroken,' so that even as we condensed sections we’d be sure to include the material somehow, although we couldn’t document all of Louie’s life.”

Working closely with Jolie and producer Matthew Baer, the Coens set off to streamline the story. They opened their version with a stunning battle sequence between the crew of the B-24 Super Man aircraft (Louie’s home bomber prior to the Green Hornet) and Japanese Zero fighter planes over the South Pacific. Cutting back and forth from the ferocious midair gunfight to Louie’s life as a wayward youth in Torrance, the story introduces the audience to the young man who was destined to become a lifelong survivor…and the family who gave him the spirit and chutzpah to handle what was to come.

The scene immediately thrusts the audience into the action and adventure of the story, as well as infuses the film with the deep sense of the spirituality that informs Hillenbrand’s book and, of course, Louie’s existence. The themes and issues of his life—faith, war, struggle, commitment, endurance and resilience—stand out boldly and with alacrity.

Jolie, Baer, Stoff and the studio were quite enthusiastic about the Coens’ script. “What I learned from the Coen brothers,” Jolie shares, “was that what you feel when you put down Laura’s book is what you need to feel when you walk out of the film.”

The director admits that she feels such a huge responsibility telling Louie’s story: “It sometimes keeps me up at night, but it also inspires me and urges me on. I wanted to make this film because in the end, Louie’s message is one that we all need, now more than ever. Louie was an imperfect person, one whom we and our children can look up to. He was someone who helped to remind us all what each of us is capable of: to never lose heart, to gain strength from family, to identify our fears and our pain, to define brotherhood with our fellow man, to come face-to-face with the darkness and to never, ever give up.”

JAPANESE ROCK STAR MIYAVI PLAYS RUTHLESS TORMENTOR IN “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

UNB-Miyavi_01.jpg

Known in Japan as the “Samurai Guitarist,” the singularly named rock star, Miyavi, has gained recognition around the world for his unconventional style of playing the electric guitar—not with a pick, but with his fingers and his original “slap style,” which is like no other.

Now, the Japanese music superstar is making his acting debut in a big way, in Universal Pictures' real-life war epic “Unbroken” from director Angelina Jolie. The critically acclaimed film follows the incredible life of Louis “Louie” Zamperini who survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash during World War II—only to be caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a series of prisoner-of-war camps.

The filmmakers had a dificult time casting the important role of Louie’s nemesis and chief tormentor, Mutsuhiro Watanabe, the Japanese prison guard known to his subjugates as “The Bird,” whose life, according to biographer Laura Hillenbrand, “was consumed with forcing men into submission.”

Jolie states: “I didn’t want Watanabe to be someone who was a caricature of a Japanese man who speaks in broken English and glowers. The real-life character of Watanabe was intelligent and well-educated but had something imbalanced about him as a human being. He was a force to be reckoned with and, as Laura Hillenbrand describes him, was ‘a beautifully crafted monster.’”

Having a performer who could play against type was crucial to Jolie. “I was convinced that when you’re looking for an actor to play someone who is volatile and ruthless, you need to cast someone who is the opposite of that, a good guy,” she relays. “We were looking for a performer who could find the deeper side of villainy.” The director was searching for real presence. “There was no obvious choice, and so I had this idea: ‘What about a rock star? What about someone who can walk on stage, say nothing and own it?’ Most actors don’t have that.”

Jolie inquired about the current rock scene in Japan, asking if a talent who might be able to tackle the role existed. The name that came up was Miyavi. Word was, however, that the handsome, young, 6’2” rock musician with a devoted following had no interest in acting. Still, Jolie remained intrigued.
    Feelers were sent out to Miyavi through Yoko Narahashi, a respected Japanese casting director. Narahashi had heard that Miyavi was intelligent and serious, but when she contacted him, he explained that he had never thought about appearing in a movie and didn’t believe he wanted to do so. Nonetheless, Jolie traveled to Japan to see one of his performances, after which a meeting was set up. “He was magnetic, thrilling, and when we chatted, I thought he was a truly soulful person, one of the loveliest I’d ever met. He was also incredibly magnetic, and from what he said I could see a wonderful dad and husband,” Jolie commends.

Jolie was sure she had found the perfect person for the role, and offered Miyavi the part. “At first, when I heard about the movie, I didn’t know anything about the story, and I didn’t even know who the director was and I was not sure if I was going to do this or not,” Miyavi says. “Afterward, when I met Angie and she explained what she wants to deliver the audience throughout the story of Louie's life in this film, I changed my mind right away. I thought it would be meaningful to be a part of this project.”

Miyavi found the script impressive because it was sensitive to both the Japanese and the Americans who had lived through World War II. “To be honest, as a Japanese person I had some reservations about playing this role,” he explains. “But in talking to Angie, I understood that she would be making a film that would be about forgiveness, a bridge between countries and cultures in conflict—one that would contribute to the understanding of different cultures. I decided to tackle this challenge, even if it meant playing a very cruel man. The more evil I become, the more dramatic the story gets.”

With his acting debut in “Unbroken,” Miyavi was inspired by the message of peace which he himself has strived for. As an actor and performer, he uses his body and soul as an instrument in all his performances.

GARRETT HEDLUND, JAI COURTNEY CHASED ROLES FOR “UNBROKEN”
    via press release

Miyavi_GHedlund_JCourtney.jpg

Red-hot leading men Garrett Hedlund (“TRON: Legacy,” upcoming “Pan”) and Jai Courtney (“Divergent,” “A Good Day to Die Hard”) join the cast of Universal Pictures' real-life war epic “Unbroken” from director Angelina Jolie.

Garrett Hedlund was brought aboard as Cmdr. John Fitzgerald, one of Louie’s compatriots in the POW camps, while Australian Jai Courtney plays Phil’s co-pilot Hugh “Cup” Cuppernell.

Hedlund wasn't about to sit around hoping Angelina Jolie would consider him for a part in “Unbroken.” "I called her," the actor says. "When I was working on `On The Road,' I read about Louis Zamperini. I thought the story was sort of too good to be true. When she signed on to direct it, I contacted her and said, 'I'm such a fan of this man, this story. I'll be your caterer's assistant if I have to.'"

"She's extremely collaborative," Hedlund says of Jolie's directing skills. "She's one of those who gets inspired by seeing an actor's creative wheels turning. The more someone brings to the table, the more excited she gets."

As for Jai Courtney, he's previously said he'd have done anything to play a part in “Unbroken,” revealin that the Angelina Jolie more than lived up to his and his cast mates' expectations.

The talented actor recalls a story from filming, when the Oscar-winning actress arrived on set on a baking hot day when 200-300 extras were trying to put a scene together. “Everyone was getting very restless and she just walked out to have a chat to everyone and it was like... they'd never seen two hundred men shut up and stand still.”
    The actors were eager to go through what was necessary for filming the intense sequences and were unstinting in praise of their director. “I was so thankful to work beside her for the entire shoot; I’d say Angie is truly inspired,” says Jack O’Connell who plays the lead, Louie Zamperini. “She’s got great leadership skills, true empathy for her cast and that makes an actor’s life so much easier. She delivers notes with sensitivity in a way that makes you understand what she’s after, and she is tireless. I almost took for granted how much I’d instinctively agree with what she was telling me.”

Garrett Hedlund recently co-starred in the Coen brothers 2013 film “Inside Llewyn Davis.”
    Hedlund recently starred in Walter Salles’ “On the Road,” based on the novel by Jack Kerouac and “TRON: Legacy,” for Walt Disney Pictures.

He will next be seen starring as Hook in Joe Wright’s highly anticipated “Pan,” which tells the story of Peter Pan, alongside Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried and Rooney Mara.

Jai Courtney has quickly become one of Hollywood’s most sought-after actors. In March, Courtney was seen in the box-office hit “Divergent,” alongside Shailene Woodley and Kate Winslet. An adaptation of the hit sci-fi novel of the same name, the film was directed by Neil Burger.

He will star alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger in the upcoming sci-fi film “Terminator: Genisys.” The film is the first in a stand-alone trilogy, and is set for release on July 2015.

In 2009, Courtney landed the role of Varro in Starz’s hit series “Spartacus: War of the Damned.” The character became the closest confidante to Spartacus until his death in the tenth episode. Fans of the show created an uproar over Varro’s death and, to this day, continue to lament about it on many Spartacus fan sites and blogs.

Courtney also starred alongside Bruce Willis in “A Good Day to Die Hard,” which filmed on location in Europe. The fourth installment of the Die Hard franchise opened in February 2013 and grossed more than $300 million worldwide.

• carlhirocarlhiro PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    [CENTER-HIDDEN]15143619183_797bc6ecd3_o.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

Philippine Release Date: February 18, 2015
    Director: Angelina Jolie
    Cast: Jack O’Connell, Domhnall Gleeson, Garrett Hedlund, Miyavi, Finn Wittrock

[JUSTIFY]You’ll definitely need survival and resilience when you come to watch Unbroken. It is über long, the lead character’s sufferings are stretched and repetitive and you’ll just wish the war will soon end to get this film over with. Louis Zamperini’s (Jack O’Connell) story is really inspiring, but it looks like the storytelling fell to the wrong hands, as I didn’t feel anything I am supposed to feel watching all the trials that he faced during the war.[/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]34ry6gg.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

[JUSTIFY]Jack O’Connell is the saving grace of this film, playing Louis Zamperini, a track and field athlete and an Olympian who competed in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. In a string of unfortunate events during the World War 2 as a Bombardier, he finds himself stuck in an inflatable raft in the middle of the ocean with two fellow soldiers after an engine failure of their B-24 Liberator. Then, after 47 days in the sea, he was captured by the Japanese and became a prisoner of war until the Allies won. O’Connell acted the hell out of Zamperini, and it was impressive.[/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]unbroken01.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

[JUSTIFY]But O’Connell seems like the only good casting in this film. The Japanese adversary, who is supposed to be brat and a heartless leader, was unconvincingly played by a Japanese rockstar debuting his acting in this film. I feel he’s responsible for the lack of emotions I felt while watching this film. Garrett Hedlund’s John Fitzgerald on the other hand was forgettable and Domhnall Gleeson was underutilized.[/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]unbroken-movie-jack-oconnell.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

[JUSTIFY]The film could have worked better if it were shorter. It overshot the emphasis on the main theme of the film on survival and resilience to the point where it is already uninteresting. I know Biopics tend to be boring for some people, but I always love a good history lesson from the movies. Sadly, I didn’t feel the enthusiasm for this film as much with the other films in the same genre.

I bet you can get as inspired with watching other biopics. Unbroken just offers nothing new out of the table.[/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]Rating: 5/10

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

Unbroken is now showing in theatres nationwide.

Discuss the movie here: Unbroken
    More movie reviews here: Official PEx Movie Reviews[/CENTER-HIDDEN]