PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

The Official 2014 PEx Movie Challenge - Guidelines and Reviews Thread

Comments

• ParkourParkour @nelsonmuch ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Divergent
    Year: 2014
    Genre: Sci-fi/Romance
    Rating: 7/10

divergent-poster-tris-kakmhd9o.jpg

Review:

Divergent is just another best-selling novel turned high-grossing movie that hit the silver screen this year. Targeting all possible audiences, Divergent is about individuality of each characters; it is about searching for who they really are and to which group they belong to expand their passion and contribute to their community.

Set in a very futuristic dystopia divided in five factions, the story focused on the character of Tris played by The Fault In Our Stars' star Shailene Woodley. Tris discovered she was a divergent and that the lives of people like her are in danger. Divergents are those people who don't belong to any of the five factions just because they are different. In their era, where divergents are being destroyed one by one for being dubbed as "threats" to everyone, Tris' challenge is how to save her kind from the selfish people like the faction leader Jeanine (Kate Winslet).

Divergent is one of those movie adaptations that will make you want to read the book because of how well the movie was made. Following the trail of the hit movie The Hunger Games, Divergent turned out to be another trilogy to follow in this lifetime. :)
  • JobyBryant24JobyBryant24 Jovitus Primus PExer
    Movie Title: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Genre: Action / Thriller
    Rating: 8.5 of 10

CaptainAmerica.jpg

Review:

Captain America was one of the least of my favorite heroes from Marvel. I always see him as inferior to those heroes such as Thor, Spiderman, Hulk etc. But still, I watched the previous two movies and somehow liked them especially the latest one. Maybe because of the story na medyo "dark" ang dating. Medyo less comedy for Steve Rogers on this movie, unlike when he had a cameo on Thor. The story, for me, resembles a little to DC Comics' "Batman Hush" where an old close friend appeared unknowingly na magiging kalaban pala. But this story is a little different since the Winter Soldier, Bucky Barnes, was expected to be dead.

I enjoyed watching the fight scene between GSP, as a terrorist, and Captain America. As expected, we knew for sure who would win anyway. The elevator scene was also good. Is it just me or I knew when Fury "died" eh feel ko hindi pa talaga. Sana lang yung paglabas nya muli sa screen na buhay sha eh dun na mismo sa office ni Pierce. Sana meron man lang konting intimate moments between Rogers and Romanoff. Kahit wala sa comics. Kakabitin yung eksena sa mall e. :lol:

Although nag-enjoy naman ako sa movie, I still feel na me kulang pa. Or masyado lang mataas expectations ko since this is a superhero movie.

Hail Hydra! :glee:
  • _Zei_Emu__Zei_Emu_ Fangirl ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Man of Steel
    Year: 2013
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Rating: 9.5 out of 10

ManofSteelFinalPoster.jpg

Man of Steel is an EPIC Superman movie.

It is very action-packed from start to finish. There are no dull moments even though it's like the scenes almost had no time to breathe. And if you don’t like too much CGIs, this movie is not for you. The alien plot makes the movie feel very sci-fi. It focused so much on the alien invasion thing. There’s a lot of collateral damage, destruction, explosion. It’s true that it can get tiresome at some point for some people as the action scenes are quite lengthy.

But still I give it to the film, it is a comic book, superhero movie so I forgive it to being action-packed non-stop. Just think of it as a tribute to Superman, he is the greatest superhero ever, so why not make the movie epic, and grand, and all that? He deserves it.

I love that the story is straight forward without the complexities that other superhero movies had. They explained clearly Kal-El’s back story and his childhood as Clark very well. There were moments that moved me especially those scenes with Clark’s father, Jonathan Kent. I felt young Clark’s struggle with having those superpowers. We haven’t seen that in any other Superman movie. I also loved how this Superman is so real, so human, and relatable, having to work for a living just like everyone else. Here is a Superman who grows a beard, works in ships and restaurants, and is a less glamorous Clark Kent than what we usually see.

The Hans Zimmer score is as expected, awesome. The music was stuck in my mind for hours after watching the movie.

Henry Cavill is the perfect Superman. He embodied the character whole-heartedly and definitely looked the part. His body is very drool-worthy, lol. I can’t imagine another actor playing Superman now other than him.

Amy Adams is a great Lois except that she looks a bit old. Can’t say much on her chemistry with Henry. The film didn’t really focus on the Lois-Clark relationship, so it almost felt rushed.
    Michael Shannon did General Zod justice, but it is Antje Traue as Faora Ul I loved. She is just so bad-a$$ and beautiful.

Despite all the shortcomings which critics say, this felt like a complete Superman film to me. Of course we haven’t seen much of Clark Kent yet as it still focused on his Krypton origins. I also appreciate how vividly they depicted Krypton.

This is the Superman movie I’ve been waiting for in years.
    Movie Title: The Monuments Men
    Genre: Action / Adventure
    Rating: 5 of 10

hero_MonumentsMen-2014-1.jpg

Review:

Firstly, I also believe that art or whatever represents any civilization of any time is far more important the life of any person. This art/symbol represents collectively the people of that generation. Just like what Stokes answered on the last part of the film when President Truman clarified him on his mission during the end of WW2.

I was kind of excited at first seeing Matt Damon and George Clooney on a starting scene. Kulang na lang si Brad Pitt, then here we go on a movie-ala Ocean's Eleven or Twelve na. The setting was like the same, they need to form a team of their expertise related to art to get back or steal what was left of Western Civilization thru art, which was stolen by the greedy Fuhrer.

Unfortunately, there were many dragging scenes na hindi exciting and boring. The film lacks something that the "Ocean's Eleven" had. The story was somehow predictable until the end. You know they will get it in the end. Pati yung supposed to be "formal dinner" with Claire eh walang charm at wala masyadong connection. Sayang nasa Paris pa naman sila at for sure sa gitna ng gyera at sa lamig ng Paris eh kailangan nila ng konting init. Too bad eh pati yun eh wala man lang. Yung interaction ng ibang actors to their respective scenes eh hindi masyado nabigyan ng buhay, sobrang fast forward na nakakalito. Good thing I did not watch this in theaters. :bop:

But what I learned about this movie is something I never heard of during my younger years in high school or college. I was thinking of this issue way back how some or many important artifacts were preserved when there were many wars had happened. And this movie was the answer to those questions. It was good to know that during those times, not only they put people's lives were important but also those important artifacts that represent history.
  • paddylastpaddylast Cut & Run Disciple ✭✭✭
    A-Z Movies (G)
    Movie Title: Gravity
    Genre: Drama
    Rating: 10/10

gravity_poster.jpg?w=500

Gravity is a space thriller that allows us (viewers) to travel into space and be trapped in it. Yes, along with Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalsky (George Clooney,) we the audience went to our first shuttle mission with Kowalsky as our guide and advisor.

Director Alfonso Cuaron took us to a place where we are with the characters. It’s a spectacular creation from a genius imagination with the help of some technical whiz kids. Now, I can’t tell you enough how much I totally enjoyed watching this film. It’s literally mind boggling – in a sense that this couldn’t possibly be that good. I mean, how did Cuaron made this one??

Despite gaining mixed reaction from the Manila audience when it was shown here last year, the consensus is clear - this was a masterpiece in a whole new level that only a few like Cuaron could accomplished.

Director: Alfonso Cuaron
    Starring: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
  • genre914genre914 राजकुमार का अंतर ✭✭✭
    Day 1/100: Movie Nominated In The Academy 1
    Movie Title: Gravity
    Genre: SciFi
    Rating: 9.5 out of 10

gravity_movie_poster_by_olenar-d75xvln.jpg

Review:
    I have no interest, at first, to watch this movie. Because I was so bored at that time, I decided to watch any movie at a movie theater showing that time. I am fond of 3D format movies and this one out of 3 movies featured, only had it.

The movie surprised and amazed me a lot. Well, the 3D experience gave me the feeling of being in the outer space also. The visuals were excellent, the story was great, and Sandra Bullock gave her best performance. As an audience, I was connected to the movie, thinking of what would next to happen. It would be one of the most unforgettable stories in movies.

Less talk, but can trigger your emotions on every lead character's hardships to fight for survival.
  • LulaLu__LulaLu__ Fangirl PExer
    edge-of-tomorrow-international-poster-600x888.jpg

Edge Of Tomorrow
    Sci-fi
    7.5/10

I'll be honest. At first, I was not at all interested to watch this movie, since alien invasion flicks aren't my type. But, since my sched to see TFIOS is still on Saturday, and because I really want to watch a movie today, I decided to see this. Also, at least, I'd be done with June's movie of the month.

The plot, put simply, goes like this: Earth is currently taken over by aliens, that are to hard to defeat. Major William Cage (Tom Cruise) was forced to go in action despite having never been in combat even once. On his first day in the battlefield, he is dazed and confused and doesn't know what to do. As he was trying to keep himself alive, he releases a an explosive to the alien right in front of him, and both of them get hit. Cage is supposed to die, right? Well, surprisingly, he didn't. And what is more astonishing is that he's back at the base, a day before they went into battle. Later on, he realizes that every time he dies, he goes back to that time and repeats the entire day again. Nobody really believes the predicament he is in, until he meets Rita (Emily Blunt), one of the military's best soldiers.

When I got to the time loop part of the film, that's how it got interesting for me, as it was established with a bit of humor, and I found those scenes fun. I thought Doug Liman, the director, did a great job, because to me, as a viewer, the time loop scenes didn't seem repetitive. The action scenes were well-edited, although I found the camera work a bit confusing, because during these scenes it moved to fast that I couldn't really see what was happening.

Overall, it was a fun film, I thought was a smart script that had a good take on a complicated and sometimes confusing storyline. I'm going to admit, I did not regret watching it.

Previously on my list...

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE

Four (4) movies nominated in the Academy (2014 and older)

#1. The Silver Linings Playbook (2012): (04-30-2014)
    #2. The Muppets (2012): (05-01-2014)
    #3. Saving Mr. Banks (2014): (05-04-2014)
    #4. Midnight In Paris (2011): (05-14-2014)

Four (4) Non-English Movies

#1. L?t Den R?tte Komma In (2008): (05-12-2014)
    #2. La Belle et la B?te (2014): (05-13-2014)

Four (4) movies released before 2000

#1. Clueless (1995): (05-02-2014)
    #2. Cruel Intentions (1999): (05-05-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

#1. The Lorax (2012): (05-03-2014)

Four (4) Movies Released In 2014

#1. The Other Woman (2014): (05-11-2014)
    #2. Maleficent (2014): (05-29-2014)

Movies Of The Month

March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): (05-06-2014)
    April: The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014): (05-10-2014)
    May: X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2014): (05-28-2014)

30-Day Movie Challenge

Day 01 - The Best Movie I Saw During The Last Year:
    The Spectacular Now (2013): (05-17-2014)
    Day 02 - The Last Movie I Saw
    Barefoot (2014): (05-18-2014)Day 03 - My Favorite Action/Adventure Movie
    The Avengers (2012): (05-19-2014)
    Day 04 - My Favorite Horror Movie
    Let Me In (2010): (05-20-2014)
    Day 05 - My Favorite Drama Movie
    The Last Song (2010): (05-21-2014)
    Day 06 - My Favorite Comedy Movie
    She's The Man (2006): (05-22-2014)
    Day 07 - My Favorite Animated Movie
    Meet The Robinsons (2007): (05-23-2014)
    Day 08 - A Movie Of My Favorite Actor
    [Tom Hiddleston]
    The Deep Blue Sea (2011): (05-24-2014)
    Day 09 - A Movie Of My Favorite Actress
    [Anne Hathaway]
    Passengers (2008): (05-24-2014)
    Day 10 - A Movie Of My Favorite Director
    [Wes Anderson]
    Moonrise Kingdom (2012): (05-26-2014)
    Day 11 - My Favorite Classic Movie
    Roman Holiday (1953): (05-28-2014)
    Day 12 - My Favorite Documentary
    The Bridge (2006): (05-30-2014)
    Day 13 - My Favorite Movie From My Childhood
    Bridge To Terabithia (2007): (05-31-2014)
    Day 14 - My Favorite Quote From Any Movie
    [URL="http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706775&p=70131899&viewfull=1#post70131899";Letters To Juliet (2010)[/URL]: (06-01-2014)
    Day 15 - My Favorite Character From Any Movie
    [Wendy Darling]
    Peter Pan (2003): (06-02-2014)
    Day 16 - My Favorite Movie Based On A Book/Comic
    Flipped (2010): (06-03-2014)Day 17 - The Most Overrated Movie
    Twilight (2008): (06-04-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

#: (500) Days Of Summer (2009): (05-07-2014)
    A: Along Came Polly (2004): (05-08-2014)
    B: Beastly (2011): (05-09-2014)
    C: The Call (2013): (05-15-2014)
    D: Due Date (2010): (05-16-2014)
    [/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    Movie Title: Endless Love
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    Rating: 6/10

EndlessLove-poster-620x330.png

Review:

Every possible love story cliches rolled into a one movie, that is what Endless Love was about. A struggling young teenage boy with unimaginably perfect features from his face to his feet meets a very girly and really pretty teenage young lady who also happened to be rich, in a world where everything is batshit intense.

If the universe is aware of what the normal Filipino drama plot is like, everybody would think that the movie was directed by a Filipino. :lol: For a rich girl and poor guy first love story, Endless Love showed first loves would send someone to jail, set a house on fire, and a love that would require someone a restraining order; these are the elements one would see in a local TV series. :lol:

Nevertheless, the main characters who played by Alex Pettyfer (I Am Number 4) and Gabriella Wilde (Carrie) did their best to deliver a very much in love young couple who also have a perfect combination. A remake of the 1981 film that carried the same title and starred Brooke Shields, Endless Love 2014 was still a nifty romance/drama flick to watch on a rainy afternoon from a laptop by the window pane while sipping a hot cocoa with marshmallows. *okay*:bungi:

--

P.S.

Thanks again to PEx for the free advance screening tickets of Endless Love. :lol:
  • dementedkiddementedkid not right ✭✭✭
    15/100
    Movie Title:Edge of Tomorrow
    Genre: Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
    Rating: 9.0 out of 10
    Poster/Image:
    emily-blunt-edge-of-tomorrow-600x873.jpg
    Review
    In the early days of an Alien invasion, the world is about to launch an assault, a reluctant non-combat officer is thrust into the frontlines. All too suddenly the burden of achieving victory rests in him, the catch, he must die over and over again in order to save the world.
    I like the premise, it feels like a sci-fi-ed 50 1st dates, with a hell of a lot more action than romance, which is not bad, I’d say the chemistry between the two leads is passable.
    Plot is not really that cerebral (pun not intended), but it’s more engaging and relatable of course than Oblivion. Action is top notch, video game like due to the resets but I love watching these what ifs. Pacing is excellent, very few slow moments.
    The enemies are pretty reminiscent of those in the Matrix, for better or worse, tentacles and all that. Wish the movie was longer, with more emotional scenes between the two.
    Acting is slightly above average, Emily is lovely as usual, Tom, not as convincing, I thought his transformation from coward to hero was all too sudden, time lapse or not, well I guess when the stakes are this high or maybe he wasn’t acting heroic at all. Also I just watched Oblivion and thought his acting was better there.
    Overall, it’s a must watch, high adrenaline film, I got the same vibe I did, excitement-wise, watching World War Z, the best film I saw last 2013.

Previously….
    [crouching-tiger-disappearing-spoiler]
    1. 3/30/2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 9.5/10
    2. 4/17/2014 Good Will Hunting (1997) 9/10
    3. 4/18/2014 The Internship (2013) 8.5/10
    4. 4/19/2014 V for Vendetta (2005) 9/10
    5. 4/22/2014 The Croods (2013) 7/10
    6. 4/23/2014 Gravity (2013) 9/10
    7. 4/24/2014 Hotel Transylvania (2012) 9.5/10
    8. 4/29/2014 When Harry Met Sally (1989) 9/10
    9. 5/2/2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) 9/10
    10. 5/22/2014 Godzilla (2014) 9/10
    11. 5/26/2014 Xmen: Days of Future Past (2014) 9.5/10
    12. 5/31/2014 The Man from Earth (2007) 8/10
    13. 6/1/2014 The Lego Movie (2014) 7/10
    14. 6/3/2014 The Normal Heart (2014) 9/10
    [/crouching-tiger-disappearing-spoiler]
    Day 2/100 : Movie Nominated In The Academy 2
    Movie Title: Life of Pi
    Year: 2012
    Genre: Adventure-Drama Film
    Rating: 9 out of 10

220px-Life_of_Pi_2012_Poster.jpg

Review:
    I was so eager in watching this movie. Not just because most of the actors here are Hindustani, but also its premise.

It was very interesting to know how a boy survived for days in a boat with a tiger. Production-wise, it was so wonderfully made, pleasant to the eye (so sad that I was not to experience it in 3D format in which they say, you could enjoy the movie in full if it is in 3D).

I like also the emotional connection of the movie to the audience (it was proved by how the people inside the cinema reacted to the scenes).

I enjoyed the film so much that I wanted to see it again but that time, it would be in 3D format. I guess I need first to buy a LED TV 3D. LOL
    Movie Title: Hunter ? Hunter: The Last Mission
    Genre: Animation / Drama
    Rating: 8 of 10

b94ee8935f25.original.jpeg

Review:

Netero is the chairman of the Hunter?s Association and was believed to be the strongest. And for sure being the strongest would have lots of stories to tell. This movie is one of those, it is all about Netero's dark past. The movie started on who Netero was before he created the Hunter Association. Currently, in HunterXHunter world, hunter?s are using a chakra of their own called ?Nen?. And little did we know that there is a dark power which consume?s the life of user thru hatred. The power is called ?On?.

The story continued on how the On users lived their lives with the goal of killing all the Hunters. Until they encountered the one they were looking for, Netero. Unfortunately, Netero have some new and young powerful friends in Gon, Killua and Kurapika which changes the possible outcome of the story and maybe the entire HunterXHunter world.

I expected that the villains should be super-powerful on a level to that of Netero. At first, they were showing some potentials but as the movie progress, you can see that the both Gon and Killua are somehow stronger than them. I wanted those villains to be strong so that there would be much skillset needed to defeat them. In HunterXHunter stories, Gon and Killua always defeat their respective opponents not just using strength or pure power but also using their minds to work. They both have rare genes in their bloodlines which makes them above other Hunters.

As an avid fan of the manga series, I did not expect the story to be quite good. I feel this should have been expanded into an arc and continued in the manga series. *okay*
    Day 53/100: A-Z # Movies
    Movie Title: 12 Years A Slave (#)
    Genre: Drama
    Rating: 9.5/10

12_years_a_slave_film_poster.jpg?w=500

Prior to seeing this film, I already have a preconceived ideas on what's going to be. Well, the title was obvious but aside from that - with all the buzz about it and all, I was like - okay, this is a boring sh!t like The Hurt Locker. The film was adapted from Solomon Northup's autobiography which chronicles his painful and enduring memory as a slave. Let me just tell you though that I actually cried watching this film the same way I cried at the last half of watching The Maid. This film may very well be the best movie to capture the heart and soul of that nasty memory of slavery and racial inequality in America and all parts of the world. Steve McQueen who directed the film did not back down on letting us through the emotional and psychological trauma of this film. That scene when Patsey (Lupita Nyong'o) was whipped by Solomon (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Edwin Epps (Michael Fassbender) was just heartbreaking and totally painful to watch.

With the superb acting considered as well as the sublime screenplay, the film provided a drastic story that encompasses Solomon's life from becoming a slave into a freeman. It was sentimental, heartbreaking and enduring all at the same time.

Director: Steve McQueen
    Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong’o, Sarah Paulson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Brad Pitt, Paul Dano, Adepero Oduye, Paul Giamatti, Alfre Woodard
    Movie Title: Edward Scissorhands
    Year: 1990
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Drama
    Rating: 7/10

edward-scissorhands-original.jpg

Review:

'A modern take on the story of Frankenstein' that's what I thought when I first saw Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands a very long time ago. The movie was about Edward, a creature completely made from all essential ingredients to create a standard body exactly like a normal human being.

Unfortunately, Edward's creator died before completing his body and left him with scissor-like hands. Edward who played by my favorite Hollywood actor Johnny Depp, was found by some suburban middle-aged woman named Peg, somebody you will probably mistake for a cougar trying so hard to look young and cool. :lol:

Edward's ability to destroy everyone in his way (literally) with his scissorhands is the total opposite of what he really is. His gentleness and kind heart grew bigger when he met Peg's daughter Kim (Wynona Rider). Despite his emotionless face like Kristen Stewart's, :lol: his inside was surrounded by intense feelings for Kim.

Just one of the few Tim Burton films I have seen, Edward Scissorhands is a personal favorite just because of Johnny Depp, the intense love of an expressionless 'man', and the quirkyness of the whole plot. Something that I will never get tired of watching. *okay* :bungi:
    97645-Disney-Frozen-movie-poster-Fra-6l89.jpeg

Frozen
    Family
    7.5/10

I am going to assume that everyone else has already seen this, so I'm going to make this quick.

The animation was beautiful, especially how they did the snow. The characters were lovable, especially Olaf the snowman, and Sven the reindeer. The songs were catchy, I mean, what normal person does not know 'Let It Go'? I found the story a bit bland, although it was enjoyable. I thought they chose the voice actors of the main characters really well, as I know that Idina Menzel (Elsa), Kristen Bell (Anna), Jonathan Groff (Kristoff), Santino Fontana (Hans) and Josh Gad (Olaf) have all been on Broadway.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

June: Edge Of Tomorrow (2014): (06-05-2014)

30-Day Movie Challenge

[Tom Hiddleston]
    [Anne Hathaway]
    [Wes Anderson]
    Letters To Juliet (2010): (06-01-2014)
    [Wendy Darling]
    Flipped (2010): (06-03-2014)
    Day 17 - The Most Overrated Movie

A-Z, # Movies

les-beaux-gosses.jpg

Les Beaux Gosses
    (The French Kissers)
    Comedy
    6.5/10

The literal title of this French coming-of-age comedy is 'The Handsome Boys', which I found quite ironic, because the main characters are, well, to put it lightly, not so handsome. First-time director Riad Sattouf gives us his heartwarming take on the fact that adolescence isn't such a good time for pretty much everyone.

Herv? (Vincent Lacoste) and his best friend Camel (Anthony Sonigo) are both far from attractive. They have acne, they wear mismatched clothing, and they don't have good body builds. But it doesn't really matter. Both Herv? and Camel are doing fine.

Herv? asks one of the prettiest and most popular girls in school, Aurore (Alice Tr?moli?re), and although she declines and laughs at him, before long they start having a physical relationship.

This movie is easily comparable to the roster of American teen sex-romps, however, at the same time it is a totally different movie. Although I found the film a bit too vulgar and crude, it was witty and quite realistic, especially for today's generation.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

#2. Frozen (2013): (06-06-2014)

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

[Tom Hiddleston]
    [Anne Hathaway]
    [Wes Anderson]
    [Wendy Darling]

A-Z, # Movies

Day 3/100 : Movie Nominated In The Academy 3
    Movie Title: Babe
    Year: 1995
    Genre: Comedy/Drama
    Rating: 10 out of 10

215px-Babe_ver1.jpg

Review:
    Babe is a movie suitable for the whole family. It is a story about a orphaned piglet named Babe which was taken good care by a farmer named Arthur. The farmer got the piglet after winning a contest in a fair.

It's funny how Babe was able to avoid being slaughtered to be served as dinner during holidays. And yeah, those three mice who sings well and a duck who poses as a rooster are hilarious.

Not just the comic scenes but there are dramatic scenes that are worthy for your tears you freed from your eyes. You can see or feel the love between the farmer and to his animals especially to Babe whom he puts his trust to win a sheep-herding competition that was normally for dogs.

It's a pure entertainer with loads of heart-touching moments.
    Day 54/100 A-Z Movies (O)
    Movie Title: Oz The Great And Powerful
    Genre: Fantasy
    Rating: 6.5/10

oz-the-great-and-powerful.jpg?w=500

This is a postmodern adaptation of the classic Wizard of Oz led by James Franco who plays Oscar Diggs, a magician / con artist whose main goal in life is to be the "greatest" and be "powerful." One one fateful day, while being chased by a co-worker inside an hot-air balloon, Oscar was mysteriously flown to the magician land of Oz. From there, he met the witches of Oz - Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weiz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams). This eventuality led to Oscar knowing his true power and the true meaning of greatness.

When I first saw this film, I thought it was enjoyable but there's actually nothing new about it. Some would actually find it boring if not for the beautiful cgi. There's some element lacking in it - either the charm of the film altogether or just the story development. I loved James Franco here, his style here is almost slapstick but not overly done. I guess, without the stunning visuals and James Franco's presence this would have been a total disaster. For what its worth, I'm pretty sure kids would still enjoy watching this.

Director – Sam Raimi
    Starring: James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, Zach Braff, Bill Cobbs, Joey King
    Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures
    Movie Title: The Amazing Spiderman 2
    Genre: Action / Adventure / Fantasy
    Rating: 6.5 of 10

Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Official-High-Res-Banner.jpg

Review:

I finally get to watch this movie finally and i am kind of disappointed. If not for the chemistry between Emma and Andrew, this movie would be boring. Start pa lang eh you know something wrong would happen to Gwen Stacy in the end. How i wish na they made it something you would not expect. Well, as if many people do not know that Peter Parker's true love is Mary Jane. Also, this movie finally unveiled the mystery of the death of PP's parents. I am not sure if it is good or bad.

What i like about this movie is how they show Peter's side of being a kid and a "son" to Aunt May. I've been following the comics since i was kid and up to now, and i can say that Andrew is a much better PP than the previous one. By the way, the villain RHINO at the end, is kind of way off. Why make the villain something mechanic? They should have let it similar from the comics.

I am really confused on the story line. Medyo magulo eh. First eh andun yung eventual Rhino, then electro and last his bff, Harry Osbourne aka The Green Goblin. Parang walang central theme yung movie or parang sine-set lang yung sequel again? Sana sinama na nila lahat at dinamihan pa ng super-villains.

Lastly, i would not really mind if they re-cast Emma Stone as Mary Jane Watson. I love her to be MJ! :love:

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]10274282_10152238514731840_4180872884770704964_n.jpg[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • mykel14mykel14 Oh, ****. ✭✭✭
    Screw the bad reviews and critics. White Chicks remains as the funniest movie I've seen. It just never fails to deliver. Yes, the premise is absurd. People need to pause, suspend the skepticism and take this movie for what it is - a comedy. A gut-wrenching, rolling-on-the-floor-laughing type of comedy that makes fun of everyone! An absolute entertainment. :up:

White Chicks
    Directed by: Keenen Ivory Wayans
    Date seen: June 1, 2014
    Genre: Comedy
    Rating: 10/10

2014 PINOYEXCHANGE MOVIE CHALLENGE

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    THE BASIC MOVIE CHALLENGE

Movies nominated in the Academy
    1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie
    2. Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    2. Justice League: War
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

Movies released before 2000
    1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman
    3. Godzilla

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: A-Z, # MOVIES
    A - The Amazing Spider-Man
    B - Beauty and the Beast
    C - The Cabin in the Woods
    E - Ender's Game
    G - A Good Day to Die Hard
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    L - Lockout
    M - Maleficent
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    S - Superman Returns
    T - Thor: The Dark World
    W - We're The Millers
    Z - Zathura: A Space Adventure
    # - 13 Going on 30

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    April: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    May: X-Men: Days of Future Past

THE 30-DAY MOVIE CHALLENGE
    Day 01: The best movie I saw last year - Man of Steel
    Day 02: The last movie I watched - The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Day 03: My favorite action movie - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Day 04: My favorite horror movie - Shutter
    Day 05: My favorite drama movie - Atonement
    oOcVpM6.gif

The Fault In Our Stars
    Romance
    8.5/10

This best-selling book turned hit film tells the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster (Shailene Woodley), a cancer patient who is actually pretty much fine with her situation, as she knows that an early death, for her, is inevitable. She later meets the charming and witty Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort) [who used to have cancer which had cost him his right leg], and no sooner than a moment, they are inseparable.

I had read the book a few years back, and thought that this reminded me of Nicholas Sparks's A Walk To Remember. But what made it different is that it was less dramatic and a bit more witty. Hazel and Gus knew how their love story would wind up, and they were both okay (pun intended) with it. They are trying to make the most of the time that they have.

I found Woodley's performance to be beautiful, although a bit redundant, as I found her approach to acting in her different roles to be quite similar. Elgort, on the other hand, well, I was absolutely amazed. I did not imagine he could perfectly pull off Augustus Waters. Another stand-out is Nat Wolff, who plays Gus's blind best friend, Isaac. I wish he had more screen time. Josh Boone gave good direction, and I thought that the musical scoring was amazing.

The movie was as heartbreakingly beautiful as the book, as the last few scenes really made me bawl like a baby, even though I already knew what was coming. I loved the fact that those exact iconic lines from the book were executed really well in the film. But, as a fan of the book, I thought there was something missing. I wish they also gave focus on Gus and Isaac's friendship. But I guess, this movie was made to share Gus and Hazel's love story.

I'm a big fan of John Green's novels, and I absolutely loved the fact that he was with this movie every step of the way. I cannot wait enough for Paper Towns, the next John Green novel to be translated to the big screen.

Previously on my list...

#3. Les Beaux Gosses (2009): (06-07-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

#2. Frozen (2013): (06-06-2014)

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

[Tom Hiddleston]
    [Anne Hathaway]
    [Wes Anderson]
    [Wendy Darling]

A-Z, # Movies

This discussion has been closed.