FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

The Official 2014 PEx Movie Challenge - Guidelines and Reviews Thread

Comments

• JobyBryant24JobyBryant24 Jovitus Primus PExer
    Movie Title: X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Year: 2014
    Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Action
    Rating: 9 of 10

x_men_days_of_future_past_banner-wide.jpg

Review:

XDOFP is by far the best movie I've seen this year. :handsdown:

As usual, Hugh Jackman and JLaw carried the film as expected. Other known veteran actors performed really well din shempre as compared to the actors in Godzilla. Kahit yung mga me little screentime. But the visual effects is the more impressive aspect to notice in the film. Grabe lang eh parang totoo na talaga with a very little flaw sa bawat scenes. One scene I enjoyed the most is the one with Pietro aka Quicksilver. And kulit and entertaining. Nakakapagtaka lang na hindi nila minaximize yung power nya na baka pwede magbago ng whole story. Haha :bop:

Enjoy yung fight scenes sa intro and sa ending. Medyo maganda combination ng mga x-men using their abilities. I've read a lot of flaws regarding the timeline. An example na lang is how Bolivar had a more advance technology in the 70s than to our present. But I really do not care, this is Marvel universe anyway.

Lastly, siguro id wish na mas naging evil pa si Bolivar Trask as his role against mutants. Mas "dark" and exciting siguro.
  • LulaLu__LulaLu__ Fangirl PExer
    maleficent-poster-angelina-jolie.jpg

Maleficent
    Fantasy
    8.5/10

The film tells the story of Maleficent, who turned out to be once good, who very much loved and cared for the magical land she lived in. But as soon as her heart broke because of a love she had thought to be true, her broken heart was filled with so much rage and hatred, that she ended up wanting revenge on the person who had hurt her the most. But later she will come to a point of realization that putting a curse on the King's daughter was not the answer to her need for vengeance.

We finally see Disney's take on one of their most iconic fairy tale villains, and I think they were able to produce such a wonderful film. The musical scoring by James Newton Howard was beautiful, and the effects and animation were beyond amazing. Angelina Jolie as Maleficent was haunting beautiful. She portrayed the title character with such grace and subtlety that you would feel for her. Her sidekick Diaval (Sam Riley) was a joy to watch as I found his character funny. I loved the light banter between him and Maleficent. Princess Aurora who was played by Elle Fanning was perfect for the role as she exuded the playfulness and youthfulness of the young princess, but I found her a bit boring. Also, I found Prince Phillip (Brenton Thwaites) to be quite dull, because in spite of his pretty face, he was really just there to be the princess's love interest.

There was not one dragging moment in the film, as I was completely absorbed into the story, and I loved the fact that there was a narrator, because it made me understand the major plot points. So in conclusion, I highly recommend that you watch this in the theaters. You will not waste a single peso, because Angelina Jolie is absolutely magnificent as Maleficent.

Previously on my list...

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE

Four (4) movies nominated in the Academy (2014 and older)

#1. The Silver Linings Playbook (2012): (04-30-2014)
    #2. The Muppets (2012): (05-01-2014)
    #3. Saving Mr. Banks (2014): (05-04-2014)
    #4. Midnight In Paris (2011): (05-14-2014)

Four (4) Non-English Movies

#1. L?t Den R?tte Komma In (2008): (05-12-2014)
    #2. La Belle et la B?te (2014): (05-13-2014)

Four (4) movies released before 2000

#1. Clueless (1995): (05-02-2014)
    #2. Cruel Intentions (1999): (05-05-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

#1. The Lorax (2012): (05-03-2014)

Four (4) Movies Released In 2014

#1. The Other Woman (2014): (05-11-2014)

Movies Of The Month

March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): (05-06-2014)
    April: The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014): (05-10-2014)

30-Day Movie Challenge

Day 01 - The Best Movie I Saw During The Last Year:
    The Spectacular Now (2013): (05-17-2014)
    Day 02 - The Last Movie I Saw
    Barefoot (2014): (05-18-2014)Day 03 - My Favorite Action/Adventure Movie
    The Avengers (2012): (05-19-2014)
    Day 04 - My Favorite Horror Movie
    Let Me In (2010): (05-20-2014)
    Day 05 - My Favorite Drama Movie
    The Last Song (2010): (05-21-2014)
    Day 06 - My Favorite Comedy Movie
    She's The Man (2006): (05-22-2014)
    Day 07 - My Favorite Animated Movie
    Meet The Robinsons (2007): (05-23-2014)
    Day 08 - A Movie Of My Favorite Actor
    [Tom Hiddleston]
    The Deep Blue Sea (2011): (05-24-2014)
    Day 09 - A Movie Of My Favorite Actress
    [Anne Hathaway]
    Passengers (2008): (05-24-2014)
    Day 10 - A Movie Of My Favorite Director
    [Wes Anderson]
    Moonrise Kingdom (2012): (05-26-2014)
    Day 11 - My Favorite Classic Movie
    Roman Holiday (1953): (05-28-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

#: (500) Days Of Summer (2009): (05-07-2014)
    A: Along Came Polly (2004): (05-08-2014)
    B: Beastly (2011): (05-09-2014)
    C: The Call (2013): (05-15-2014)
    D: Due Date (2010): (05-16-2014)
    [/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • paddylastpaddylast Cut & Run Disciple ✭✭✭

Level Up Movie Challenge: Movie Of The Month (May)
    Movie Title: Maleficent
    Genre: Fantasy
    Rating: 7/10

maleficent-poster-angelina-jolie.jpg?w=500&h=729

She’s one of Disney’s most iconic villains and she’s the “evil” fairy that casted a spell on Princess Aurora – the princess we came to know as the beloved Sleeping Beauty. This film was told from the perspective of Maleficent (Angelina Jolie) – the once good fairy whose heart was shattered by the only man she loved which turned her into a lost and angry villain. Truly, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. The events on the film mainly focused on what transpired after she gifted a curse to the newly born princess Aurora (Elle Fanning) and from there we see another persona of Maleficent as the misunderstood, hurt, angry and someone who is also capable of love.

Angelina Jolie owned this character into perfection. Her portrayal was beyond graceful. I’d even think that this was Angelina at her best. She was graceful, composed and that evil smirk just gave me goosebumps! I thought the that narration went well into the film highlighting each event and the characters. I was particularly drawn to Diaval (Sam Riley) because he’s got it good with Maleficent. There were some fun moments in there. Fanning was an okay choice but was rather dull most of the time. Perhaps, that’s what her role was supposed to portray (Anyway, I find the character of Sleeping Beauty the most boring amongst the Disney Princesses – no pun intended) and if that’s the case – she did well then. Sharito Copley was barely there and I could easily replace Brenton Thwaites with any other actors who could play a good prince charming role better than him.

The whole vibe of the film was okay. ‘Love the music, the story development and the animation but it’s really Angelina who gave the film an absolute curiosity to be seen. It’s a movie about this villain Maleficent and she did her part to make it all about her. Angelina Jolie is one and only – singular. And I should think that she’s enough reason for you guys to watch this one.

Director: Robert Stromberg
    Starring: Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, Sharito Copley, Sam Riley, Brenton Thwaites

PEx Movie Review Links
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]THE 30-DAY MOVIE CHALLENGE
    Day 01 - The best movie you saw during the last year - Man Of Steel (04.05.2014)
    Day 02 - The last movie you watched - Divergent (04.06.2014)
    Day 03 - Your favorite action/adventure movie - Life Of Pi (04.07.2014)
    Day 04 - Your favorite horror movie - Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (04.08.2014)
    Day 05 - Your favorite drama movie - Scent Of A Woman (04.10.2014)
    Day 06 - Your favorite comedy movie - Nine Months (04.11.2014)
    Day 07 - Your favorite animated movie - How To Train Your Dragon (04.12.2014)
    Day 08 - A movie of your favorite actor - Revolutionary Road (04.13.2014)
    Day 09 - A movie of your favorite actress - Julie and Julia (04.14.2014)
    Day 10 - A movie of your favorite director - Brokeback Mountain (04.15.2014)
    Day 11 - Your favorite classic movie - Schindler's List (04.16.2014)
    Day 12 - Your favorite Documentary - Imelda (04.17.2014)
    Day 13 - Your favorite movie from your childhood - Richie Rich (04.18.2014)
    Day 14 - Your favorite quote from any movie - A Walk In The Clouds (04.19.2014)
    Day 15 - Your favorite character from any movie - Billy Elliot (04.22.2014)

THE LEVEL UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    (4) Movies Nominated In The Academy
    1. Dallas Buyers Club (05.10.2014)
    2. Babel (05.13.2014)
    3. The Kids Are All Right (05.14.2014)
    4. Hugo (05.15.2014)

(4) Non-English Movies
    1. For A Lost Soldier (05.07.2014
    2. A Serbian Film (05.08.2014)
    3. Ang Lalake Sa Parola (05.09.2014)
    4. Zombadings: Patayin Sa Shokot Si Remington (05.11.2014)

(4) Animated Films
    1. Rango (05.16.2014)
    2. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls Of Ga’Hoole (05.17.2014)
    3. Ice Age 4 Continental Drift (05.19.2014)
    4. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (05.20.2014)

(4) Movies Released Before 2000
    1. The Cure (05.21.2014)
    2. Addicted To Love (05.22.2014)
    3. Mad Love (05.23.2014)
    4. School Ties (05.24.2014)

Movie Of The Month
    1. March - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (04.21.2014)
    2. April - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (05.06.2014)
    3. May - Maleficent (05.29.2014)

A-Z Movies
    1. A - Amelia (04.23.2014)
    2. B - Bend It Like Beckham (04.25.2014)
    3. C - Coach (04.26.2014)
    4. D - Dear John (04.27.2014)
    5. F - Forever Young (05.12.2014)
    6. V - Vanishing On The 7th Street (04.28.2014)
    7. T - There Be Dragons (04.29.2014)
    8. W - What To Expect When You're Expecting (05.03.2014)
    9. K - King And The Clown (05.05.2014)
    10. P - Prometheus (05.26.2014)
    11. H - Her (05.27.2014)
    12. L - Little Manhattan (05.28.2014)[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • ParkourParkour @nelsonmuch ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Freier Fall
    Year: 2013
    Genre: Drama/Romance
    Rating: 6/10

poster01_article.jpg

Review:

Marc (Hanno Koffler) is a cop training in a camp far from his girlfriend who has a bun in the oven. Being always the last to finish during their runs, he meets his fellow inmate Kay (Max Riemelt) who became his "running buddy" and some kind of a trainer after a while. During one of their regular runs, Kay kissed Marc but the latter pulled away. It happened again and that time, Marc kissed back passionately that made him really confused with what is happening and ran away.

Avoiding Kay, Marc moved to a different unit but Kay managed to follow. Pissed at first, Marc eventually gave in to the complicated situation and relationship with Kay and had a secret affair.

Freier Fall is dubbed as the German Brokeback Mountain by many but I totally disagree. :nope: Although the plot of the two movies may have similarities, Freier Fall is more suffocating and intense (considering it happened in the present time where gay relationship is pretty much accepted :rolleyes:) than Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal's cowboy to cowboy love affair that happened decades ago. Whilst Ennis and Jack's relationship blossomed in a picturesque ranch in Wyoming where the two of them are the only people, Marc and Kay's forbidden love was surrounded by their colleagues, family, and friends, which is harder to suppress.

In spite of the poor acting of the main cast, overwhelming stereotypes and clich?s, the movie's saving grace was the eye candy actors and the fact that it was able to show how the main character changed and what decisions he has to make for himself and for the people that matter to him -- Freier Fall is still an acceptable and very watchable film. *okay* :glee:
  • mykel14mykel14 Oh, ****. ✭✭✭
    A reboot of the classic franchise, Godzilla manages to build character and intensify suspense by holding back the monstrous creature. It does not show up until 45 minutes into the film. While I understand how other viewers might find it annoying and unusual, I believe this gives the movie a sense of humanity and drive that keep it compelling until things get, well, monstrously catastrophic. It does not wallow in the audience far too eagerly, leaving adequate action and mass destruction towards the end. Godzilla might be a bit slow for its first hour, but you will forget everything about it once you’re done watching this entertaining action blockbuster. :up:

Godzilla
    Directed by: Gareth Edwards
    Date seen: May 29, 2014
    Genre: Science fiction; Action
    Rating: 8/10

2014 PINOYEXCHANGE MOVIE CHALLENGE

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    THE BASIC MOVIE CHALLENGE

Movies nominated in the Academy
    1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie
    2. Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    2. Justice League: War
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

Movies released before 2000
    1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: A-Z, # MOVIES
    A - The Amazing Spider-Man
    B - Beauty and the Beast
    C - The Cabin in the Woods
    E - Ender's Game
    G - A Good Day to Die Hard
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    M - Maleficent
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    T - Thor: The Dark World
    W - We're The Millers
    # - 13 Going on 30

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    April: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    May: X-Men: Days of Future Past

THE 30-DAY MOVIE CHALLENGE
    Day 01: The best movie I saw last year - Man of Steel
    Day 02: The last movie I watched - The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Day 03: My favorite action movie - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Day 04: My favorite horror movie - Shutter
    Movie Title: Maleficent
    Genre: Fantasy
    Rating: 8 of 10

new-maleficent-poster-looks-just-like-disneys-other-movie-ads.jpg

Review:

I always knew Angelina Jolie would always be gorgeous on whatever role she would play. On this movie, she did not disappoint me. She would now be the standard of every villain in every fairytale story for me. Ang ganda nya talaga! :love:

The story was somehow a different from what we expect a fairytale would be. I love the twist on how one of the conflicts was solved, the true love. Dito makikita na no matter how evil someone or something is, the inner quality of every woman na pagiging "mother" eh mag-go-govern. This movie showed it by perfectly casting Mrs. Pitt for the role.

I was not really bored watching the whole movie since I am always amazed on how AJolie do her role. Parang lagi ka mapapatitig sa mga antics nya sa pagiging villain at sa pagiging fairy godmother on Princess Aurora.

This is a must see movie for 2014 for me. Sulit! *okay*
  • ParkourParkour @nelsonmuch ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Formula 17
    Year: 2004
    Genre: Comedy/Romance
    Rating: 6/10

600full-formula-17-poster.jpg

Review:

Tien (Tony Yang) a virgin young man goes to Taipei with his red luggage, lucky condom and naiveness to meet his online friend, look for a summer job, and to find his 'true love'. Wearing his heart on his sleeves, Tien meets Bai (Duncan Lai) the total opposite of what he is. Bai being gorgeous and seductive as he has always been, Tien finds himself smitten to the resident smooth playboy.

Just like the common dilemma in today's gay dating experience, the two are too scared to determine their relationship (DTR). While Tien thought his moments with Bai an official relationship, Bai took it just like a normal one night thing that made it a complicated stage set for heartache and misunderstanding.

Cute, funny, and definitely romantic like a Katherine Heigl and Ryan Gosling romantic-comedy film, Formula 17 is one of the gay-themed movies that really ended well. :bashful:

The nice theme song also complimented the movie and brought good feels at the end. If you are a self-confessed hopeful-romantic person, you are going to love this. Enjoy! :)
    The Level Up Movie Challenge: A-Z Movies (R)
    Movie Title: Ruby Sparks
    Year: 2012
    Genre: Comedy

ruby-sparks.jpg?w=500

From Director Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris of Little Miss Sunshine comes Ruby Sparks which centers on once-famous novelist Calvin Weir-Fields (Paul Dano) and his struggles to come up with another novel worthy of talk. Advised by his therapist to find inspiration, Calvin created Ruby Sparks (Zoe Kazan,) his fictitious girlfriend who mysteriously came to life. With Ruby, Calvin changed both for the better and for the worst.

Kazan who also wrote the screenplay was really good in this. She provided subdued and funny, also annoying moments that adequately complimented Dano’s sublime performance. Speaking of Dano, he's pretty adorable here. I could just feel the energy coming from his character. Overall, the film sparks enormous creativity, although boxed by an impossible premise, its persistent storyline consistently developed from start to finish.

Director: Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris

Cast: Paul Dano, Zoe Kazan, Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas, Steve Coogan, Elliott Gould, Chris Messina
    51G9JrVb3BL._SS500_.jpg

The Bridge
    Documentary
    7.5/10

More people die by suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge than at any other site in the world, according to research. This controversial documentary filmed the bridge for a year in 2004, which captured 23 of the 24 suicides in that year. Interviews with the family and friends of the jumpers were also included, without them being notified that their loved ones' death was caught on camera.

This documentary is one of the most powerful and thought-provoking ones I have ever seen. It's visually heartbreaking too, as you could see them jumping to their deaths approximately 245 feet down to the water. Plus, seeing those interviews of the people who knew them, those jumpers won't end up being nobody to you anymore. You would know their situation, and you would feel as if you had known them.

You must be thinking, Why didn't the camera men help those people about to jump instead of just filming them? Well, I suggest you read this before you judge.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

#2. Maleficent (2014): (05-29-2014)

Movies Of The Month

May: X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2014): (05-28-2014)

30-Day Movie Challenge

[Tom Hiddleston]
    [Anne Hathaway]
    [Wes Anderson]

A-Z, # Movies

You gotta feel bad for Maggie Grace. Her characters just couldn't catch a break. In Lockout, she plays the president's daughter who needs rescuing after the orbital prison MS One is overtaken by its prisoners. Former CIA agent Marion Snow, wrongly convicted of espionage against the US, is the one assigned to see the task through. Though a bit shallow and having a not-so-surprising twist in the end, Lockout offers the always-entertaining premise of seeing Maggie Grace get taken. :naughty:

Lockout
    Directed by: Stephen Saint Leger and James Mather
    Date seen: May 30, 2014
    Genre: Science fiction; Action
    Rating: 5.5/10

1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman
    3. Godzilla

B - Beauty and the Beast
    E - Ender's Game
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    M - Maleficent
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    W - We're The Millers
    # - 13 Going on 30

bridge-to-terabithia-400x400-imadvvzd7zbqgaz7.jpeg

Bridge To Terabithia
    Fantasy
    8/10

Jesse Aarons (Josh Hutcherson) is a lonely boy. He feels out of place at school, where he is always picked on, and even in his family, which consists of his parents, two older sisters, and his baby sister, who he thinks is the favorite of his parents. Enter new girl Leslie Burke (AnnaSophia Robb), free-spirited and bright beyond her years. The two outsiders start a friendship, with Jesse being drawn into Leslie's imaginative view of the world.

I thought the effects and animation were pretty good, and that Hutcherson and Robb's acting were amazing. They had a kind of chemistry you couldn't deny, like, when you see their characters together on screen, they were the perfect pair of friends.

I thought that the plot was something that should be really shared to young people, because it dealt with isolation, grief, and loss, which a lot of movies targeted to young audiences don't really offer.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

[Tom Hiddleston]
    [Anne Hathaway]
    [Wes Anderson]

A-Z, # Movies

• Hiroshi08Hiroshi08 Damon Griffith PExer
    Title: X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Release Date: May 22, 2014
    Genre: Superhero, Action, Adventure
    Director: Bryan Singer
    Rating: 9.49/10
    xmen-days.png

Review:

One of the most anticipated movies of the year and it lived up to the hype!

My review may seem to be a bit bias because I'm a fan of X-Men but hey this is my review! :glee:

I'm not a purist and I don't mind if Singer and co. made inconsistencies with the story arc or the "time-travel" aspect but, DoFP did a good job of connecting all the contrasting dots from the previous films in the franchise and the reboot.
    However, and yes them pedants will point at, there are still some plot lines left dangling in midair. No matter how they try to explain, still Prof. X (Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy) should look nowhere like how he looks like in the future. Didn't he manage to transfer his consciousness into the body of a coma patient?
    Also, another mild flaw is Peter Dinklage's character, Bolivar Trask. Though, his portrayal is superb, the way Trask was depicted is in such a way that he's not that powerful. C'mon, he manufactured a mutant-tracking and killing android???

A lot of movie goers, especially those who didn't read the comic runs, will love Quicksilver. They will also say that "how come he's not given a larger focus on the film?" Well, that's because he isn't! Yes, he's cool and fast and Evan Peters did great but people, he is not the focal point, mind you. But he's really awesome in there! You're running like faster than the speed of sound and you do it while listening to a love song on your music player? How cool is that? :glee:

Expectations that this is going to be, yet another Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and the X-men film but for me it was okay. Singer made it a point that he's essential but he's not the superstar. Although, him and Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) made it more spectacular, this film's multi-timeline plot is already a spectacle on it's own.

Visually, this is the finest X-Men movie, going dramatically beyond anything I've seen in the series so far. Effects is amazing and the "mutant power displays" are to boot! Magneto's (Michael Fassbender and Ian McKellen) exhibition was superb! *okay*

In the end, X-Men: Days of Future Past is a remarkable achievement in the franchise. It's an array of how these filmmakers can make an even greater story from an old original one. This will actually make see you how much significant other movies in the franchise, or even other superhero films, really are.

PEx Level-Up Movie Challenge

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]Non-English Movie [4]
    1. Solo April 4, 2014
    2. Parade April 8, 2014
    3. School Days With A Pig April 10, 2014
    4. Bekikang May 28, 2014

2014 Movie [4]
    1. Divergent April 6, 2014

Animated Film [4]
    1. Despicable Me 2 April 26, 2013
    2. Brave April 27, 2014
    3. Surfs Up April 29, 2014
    4. Rise of the Guardians May 3. 2014

Movie Released Before 2000 [4]
    1. Back To The Future April 9, 2014

Movie Nominated in The Academy [4]
    1. My Left Foot April 11, 2014
    2. Titanic May 5, 2014

30-day Movie Challenge
    Day 01: The Best Movie you saw last year
    Frozen April 13, 2014
    Day 02: The last movie you saw
    101 Dalmatians April 15, 2014
    Day 03 Your favorite action/adventure movie
    The Avengers April 23, 2014
    Day 04: Your Favorite Horror Movie
    The Eye April 30, 2014
    Day 05: Your favorite drama movie
    Tada, Kimi o Aishiteru (Heavenly Forest) April 14, 2014

MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier April 16, 2014
    April: The Amazing Spiderman 2 May 4, 2014

A to Z Movies
    A-Movie: All ABout Steve April 21, 2014
    B-Movie: Bagets May 22, 2014
    E-Movie: Enchanted May 1, 2014[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • ScareYouOftenScareYouOften Moderator PEx Moderator
    11/100: A-Z Movies
    Title: In the Land of Women
    Year Released: 2007
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    Rating: 7/10

I admit I never thought I would enjoy this movie, primarily because it starred Kristen Stuart (Lol), but I did.

l_419843_4c1c3d36.jpg

The story revolves around Carter (Adam Brody), and the three women he stumbles into after getting dumped by his girlfriend. Crushed and depressed, Carter moves into a suburban city to take care of his illing grandmother (Olympia Dukakis), hoping he can find refuge there and an inspiration to finish something he's been trying to write about for so long. He meets Sarah Hardwicke (Meg Ryan), a struggling family woman who has just got diagnosed with breast cancer, and her rebelling angst-ridden daughter, Lucy (Kristen Stuart). Instead of carrying out his original intentions in coming into the leafy town, Carter finds himself pressed among his personal issues, Sarah's, and her children.

The movie has many flaws and clich?s, but somehow i still find it redemptive and thought provoking. This movie imparts emotional maturity and creativity. It boldly raises questions about how men and women can still become friends even without romantic intentions. An almost perfect tale of forgiveness, identity-searching and unexpected love, 'In the Land of Women' is not necessarily a chick-flick, but also an inspiring family drama.
    The Level Up Movie Challenge: A-Z Movies (I)
    Movie Title: In Time
    Year: 2011
    Genre: Drama
    Rating: 4/10

in-time1.jpg?w=500

In Time takes place in a future, where the usual currency is now replaced with time. People stop aging once they turned 25 and would have to pay for hours and days in order to continue living. The rich can live for as long as they want while the poor live day to day or just die trying.

Will Salas played by Justin Timberlake is one of the ghetto-dwelling workers, who have to work to extend his time. The “Timekeepers” accused him of murder when a wealthy stranger was found dead and he became a hundred- years richer that led to his hunt.

There are a lot of loopholes in this film and It feels a bit amateurish for me. It's also annoying how there are so many characters that didn't add up to the advantage of the film. Alex Pettyfer for one was a unnecessary character. I mean, I was expecting more from his character but I didn't get anything good for him. Re-watching it,I still don't understand why he's in the movie in the first place.

The whole Robin Hood feel of both Sylvia (Seyfried) and Will (Timberlake) doesn't sit well with me. I find it a too corny. Cillian Murphy, who played the head timekeeper and Vincent Kartheiser who played the father of Sylvia were interesting to say the least.

It's a shame because it has a pretty good concept but it was wasted over by petty characters and poor story line. This is one of the most disappointing films from Amanda Seyfriend If I'm being honest. A big disappointment.

Starring Amanda Seyfried, Justin Timberlake, Cillian Murphy, Olivia Wilde, Matt Bomer, Alex Pettyfer, Johnny Galecki, and Vincent Kartheiser

PEx Movie Review Links
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]THE 30-DAY MOVIE CHALLENGE
    Day 01 - The best movie you saw during the last year - Man Of Steel (04.05.2014)
    Day 02 - The last movie you watched - Divergent (04.06.2014)
    Day 03 - Your favorite action/adventure movie - Life Of Pi (04.07.2014)
    Day 04 - Your favorite horror movie - Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (04.08.2014)
    Day 05 - Your favorite drama movie - Scent Of A Woman (04.10.2014)
    Day 06 - Your favorite comedy movie - Nine Months (04.11.2014)
    Day 07 - Your favorite animated movie - How To Train Your Dragon (04.12.2014)
    Day 08 - A movie of your favorite actor - Revolutionary Road (04.13.2014)
    Day 09 - A movie of your favorite actress - Julie and Julia (04.14.2014)
    Day 10 - A movie of your favorite director - Brokeback Mountain (04.15.2014)
    Day 11 - Your favorite classic movie - Schindler's List (04.16.2014)
    Day 12 - Your favorite Documentary - Imelda (04.17.2014)
    Day 13 - Your favorite movie from your childhood - Richie Rich (04.18.2014)
    Day 14 - Your favorite quote from any movie - A Walk In The Clouds (04.19.2014)
    Day 15 - Your favorite character from any movie - Billy Elliot (04.22.2014)

THE LEVEL UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    (4) Movies Nominated In The Academy
    1. Dallas Buyers Club (05.10.2014)
    2. Babel (05.13.2014)
    3. The Kids Are All Right (05.14.2014)
    4. Hugo (05.15.2014)

(4) Non-English Movies
    1. For A Lost Soldier (05.07.2014
    2. A Serbian Film (05.08.2014)
    3. Ang Lalake Sa Parola (05.09.2014)
    4. Zombadings: Patayin Sa Shokot Si Remington (05.11.2014)

(4) Animated Films
    1. Rango (05.16.2014)
    2. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls Of Ga’Hoole (05.17.2014)
    3. Ice Age 4 Continental Drift (05.19.2014)
    4. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (05.20.2014)

(4) Movies Released Before 2000
    1. The Cure (05.21.2014)
    2. Addicted To Love (05.22.2014)
    3. Mad Love (05.23.2014)
    4. School Ties (05.24.2014)

Movie Of The Month
    1. March - Captain America: The Winter Soldier (04.21.2014)
    2. April - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (05.06.2014)
    3. May - Maleficent (05.29.2014)

A-Z Movies
    1. A - Amelia (04.23.2014)
    2. B - Bend It Like Beckham (04.25.2014)
    3. C - Coach (04.26.2014)
    4. D - Dear John (04.27.2014)
    5. F - Forever Young (05.12.2014)
    6. V - Vanishing On The 7th Street (04.28.2014)
    7. T - There Be Dragons (04.29.2014)
    8. W - What To Expect When You're Expecting (05.03.2014)
    9. K - King And The Clown (05.05.2014)
    10. P - Prometheus (05.26.2014)
    11. H - Her (05.27.2014)
    12. L - Little Manhattan (05.28.2014)
    13. R - Ruby Sparks (05.30.2014)
    14. I - In Time[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    Movie Title: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    Genre: Comedy / Adventure / Drama
    Rating: 7 of 10

The-Secret-Life-of-Walter-Mitty-2013-Movie-Picture-540x304.jpg

Review:

I really did not expect this movie to be nice but it was. I kind of feel na everyone is like Walter Mitty na sa kabila ng sobrang busy na buhay eh we still daydream about something more, something like a life rather than our normal ones.

This movie is a must-see for yuppies like me. Medyo boring lang sa start but along the way kahit papaano eh nakaka-enjoy na din since somehow eh makaka-feel ka ng inggit na bakit nga ba hindi mo din gawin in real life yung ginawa ni Walter Mitty. Kahit not exactly the same, basta adventure lang.

I wish there should be more interactions with Walter and Cheryl. Buti na lang eh nagustuhan ko yung ending which it seems na nagkatuluyan sila in the end. Also, i liked the twist in the end, yung negative 25. *okay*
  • dementedkiddementedkid not right ✭✭✭
    12/100
    Movie Title:The Man From Earth
    Year: 2007
    Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
    Rating: 8.0 out of 10
    Poster/Image:
    MV5BNjUwMDQ2NTQxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ4NDIzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR15,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    Review
    Good:
    Thought Provoking

Not so good:
    Cardboard Acting
    Started with Cheesy Banter

A College Professor about to move away gets a surprise send off from his colleagues. But the surprise is on them as he claims himself to be a 14,000 year old caveman. In different levels of disbelief, they proceed to interview him and discuss the claim based on their respective field of expertise.
    The movie, even though almost entirely of dialogue and is set mostly a single location, is pretty interesting. The discussion moves fairly naturally from different topics and issues pertaining to one being immortal among them from biology, art and religious stand points. The main discussion on the reveal and subsequent twists are enough to keep the audience see the movie through.
    The conversation in between the main topic can be a bit cheesy and bland though, good thing they’re few and far in between.
    The movie does well with its simplicity, but I could imagine with a bigger budget, it could have used a better score and interspersed with a few flashbacks to aid or enhance the experience.
    If you have even a mild curiosity with the idea of immortality, give this movie a shot.

Previously….
    [crouching-tiger-disappearing-spoiler]
    1. 3/30/2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 9.5/10
    2. 4/17/2014 Good Will Hunting (1997) 9/10
    3. 4/18/2014 The Internship (2013) 8.5/10
    4. 4/19/2014 V for Vendetta (2005) 9/10
    5. 4/22/2014 The Croods (2013) 7/10
    6. 4/23/2014 Gravity (2013) 9/10
    7. 4/24/2014 Hotel Transylvania (2012) 9.5/10
    8. 4/29/2014 When Harry Met Sally (1989) 9/10
    9. 5/2/2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) 9/10
    10. 5/22/2014 Godzilla (2014) 9/10
    11. 5/26/2014 Xmen: Days of Future Past (2014) 9.5/10
    [/crouching-tiger-disappearing-spoiler]
    I honestly did not want to re-watch Superman Returns. I liked it when it came out in 2006. But watching Man of Steel made me realize its flaws. For one, as a Superman film, it certainly lacked action. You'll reach a point that you just want to see Superman punch someone. And because it started off where the previous films left off (a few decades later!), there was limited opportunity for the story to fully develop and take its own course. Major props must be given to Brandon Routh, though, for doing an excellent work as Superman/Clark Kent considering the limited material he was handed with. And John William's theme!!!

Superman Returns
    Directed by: Bryan Singer
    Date seen: April 25, 2014
    Genre: Superhero movie

1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman
    3. Godzilla

B - Beauty and the Beast
    E - Ender's Game
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    L - Lockout
    M - Maleficent
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    W - We're The Millers
    # - 13 Going on 30

Rocket ships are cool. Especially if you're a 6-year-old kid. This is the premise of Zathura: A Space Adventure, where we find young Danny and his older brother Walter play an adventure board game called Zathura. From that moment on, reality decides to go on break and the boys are thrown into space for a tale of brotherly intergalactic bonding.

Echoing the game in Jumanji, Zathura: A Space Adventure teaches valuable life lessons that are well-suited to its primary audience. Plus, we get to see young Josh Hutcherson's acting prowess and a less annoying Kristen Stewart. An entertaining film that will make you wonder how you survived childhood with 3 brothers. :lol: :up:

Zathura: A Space Adventure
    Directed by: Jon Favreau
    Date seen: May 31, 2014
    Genre: Science fiction; Adventure
    Rating: 7.5/10

1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman
    3. Godzilla

B - Beauty and the Beast
    E - Ender's Game
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    L - Lockout
    M - Maleficent
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    S - Superman Returns
    W - We're The Millers
    # - 13 Going on 30

936full-letters-to-juliet-poster.jpg

Letters To Juliet
    Romance
    8/10

"'What' and ‘if’ two words as nonthreatening as words come. But, put them together side-by-side and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life: ‘What if? What if? What if?' I don't know how your story ended, but I know that if what you felt then was love - true love - then it's never too late. If it was true then it why wouldn't it be true now? You need only the courage to follow your heart... I don't know what a love like that feels like... a love to leave loved ones for, a love to cross oceans for... but I'd like to believe if I
    ever felt it, I'd have the courage to seize it."

- Sophie

This film stars Amanda Seyfried as Sophie, an aspiring writer who is in Italy with her budding chef fiancé, Victor (Gael García Bernal). She was eventually left to explore the streets of Verona on her own because of Victor's other priorities. That's when she discovers a spot where a lot of letters are being pinned up a wall, letters from women all over the world, who are having troubles in love. She finds that somebody actually replies to those letters, who call themselves 'Secretaries Of Juliet', a group of women who've had different experiences in love and are sharing those experiences to those who had left the letters.

Without anything to do in the city while her fiancé wasn't around, Sophie decides to join them and finds an unanswered letter that was written in 1957 from a woman named Claire (Vanessa Redgrave). Drawn to the woman's story, she replies to that letter, which turns out was indeed received by Claire. This news came to Sophie in the form of the stubborn and skeptical Charlie (Christopher Egan), who introduces himself as Claire's grandson. Sophie learns that Claire is in the city, as she wants to thank the one who replied to her letter for Juliet personally.

They soon meet, and Sophie offers to help Claire find her former love, Lorenzo. Turns out, there are seventy-four Lorenzos in Italy, but Sophie doesn't want to give up until they found Claire's Lorenzo (Franco Nero). While out and about in Italy, Sophie and Charlie get to know each other better, due to Claire's urging, and something shifts between their relationship. And as their search for Claire's Lorenzo start to look like a dead end, Sophie's hope starts to waver.

This movie is definitely a must-see for all hopeless romantics out there. It's about how timeless true love is and how love can come in the most unexpected place at the most unexpected time.

Vanessa Redgrave was so elegant and graceful and beautiful, and I loved seeing her on screen. It just makes me root for Claire to fin her Lorenzo even more. Amanda Seyfried was absolutely delightful, and I thought that she and Christopher Egan had some serious chemistry.

This is definitely one of my faves. I loved the music featured on the movie, and those shots of Italy! They were absolutely beautiful!

Previously on my list...

#1. Låt Den Rätte Komma In (2008): (05-12-2014)
    #2. La Belle et la Bête (2014): (05-13-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

[Tom Hiddleston]
    [Anne Hathaway]
    [Wes Anderson]
    Day 12 - My Favorite Documentary
    The Bridge (2006): (05-30-2014)
    Day 13 - My Favorite Movie From My Childhood
    Bridge To Terabithia (2007): (05-31-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

Movie Title: Pain and Gain
    Genre: Comedy / Action
    Rating: 4 of 10

lifting-metal1.jpg

Review:

"Dafuq did i just saw?" This was initial reaction after watching this movie. Good thing i did not watch this in theaters when it was shown months ago. One of the worst movie story na napanood ko with known actors pa like Dwayne Johnson and Mark Wahlberg. Tapos si Michael Bay pa director. Wow!!!

From drugs, extortion, robbery, murder and the like, parang sobrang sabaw ng story eh. Parang ambilis ng mga eksena na di mo namamalayang nasasayang na pala 2 oras ng buhay mo. There were even scenes like after murdering someone, naisipan pa magbuhat ng weights to pump-up himself. Parang mga praning lang eh. Then there were worse pa na binarbeque yung mga chopped human parts. Mas nadiri pa ako dito sa movie na to kesa sa mga horror movies eh.

Grabe. Nasayang yung 2 hours ng buhay ko. Seryoso. :rotflmao:
This discussion has been closed.