FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

The Official 2014 PEx Movie Challenge - Guidelines and Reviews Thread

Comments

• carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter ✭✭✭
    Title: Say Anything
    Year: 1989
    Genre: Romance, Comedy
    Rating: 8/10

say-anything-movie-poster-1020194575.jpg

This film is truly one of the best teen films. It features John Cusack's most iconic scene with the boombox but I was rather underwhelmed at the scene. I felt like it was overhyped for me, though now I can't get In Your Eyes out of my head. However, the chemistry of the two leads is fantastic. They have been written for each other perfectly.

--

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]2014 PEx Level-up Movie Challenge

Movies nominated in the Oscars
    [3/100] Nebraska (2013)

Non-English Movies
    [1/100] La Haine (1995)
    [5/100] A Separation (2011)

Movies released in 2014
    [8/100] Divergent (2014)
    [10/100] The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    [13/100] Godzilla (2014)

Movies released before 2000
    [2/100] Sixteen Candles (1984)
    [7/100] Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
    [15/100] Say Anything (1989)

Animated Films
    [11/100] Rio 2 (2014)

Movie of the Month
    March: [4/100] Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    April: [12/100] The Amazing Spiderman 2: Rise of Electro

Movies A-Z
    I: [6/100] Ides of March, The (2011)
    S: [9/100] Spectacular Now, The (2013)
    Y: [14/100] You May Not Kiss The Bride (2011)[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • paddylastpaddylast Cut & Run Disciple ✭✭✭
    The Level Up Movie Challenge
    (4) Animated Films
    Movie Title: Rango
    Year: 2011
    Genre: Animation
    Rating: 9.5/10

Rango2011Poster.jpg

The first time I've watched this film, I knew it would go on to win big at the Oscars the following year and true enought, it did win the Best Animated Film category.

Rango was initially an unnamed chameleon who’s got no friends but some toys and a dead cricket. He got stranded in a Nevada dessert where he met the female lizard named Beans who took him to the Dirt Town populated by desert animals . In Dirt Town, the adventures of Rango began where he pretended to be a tough drifter and was appointed to be the town's sherrif by its mayor.

I was totally inlove with this film and even got a copy of it when it was finally released on DVD. Rango's just an adorable chameleon and he kinda reminds me of Colin Firth in a Single Man (I don't know if that's weird or something lol) and with Johnny Depp providing the vo - what more can you ask for? Though I find it a bit too long, it didn't turn itself into a draggy film but rather a cohesive yet dynamic collection of dialogues, music and great animation. There was also social relevance in it about the controlling the "water" stuff so it was a very intelligent film as well.

So there, the film is definitely not just for kids but for everyone who's up for some good laugh and make a lil' use of their thinking caps.
  • bitter_ocampobitter_ocampo toothless ✭✭✭
    A-Z, # Movies: H (2/27)

Movie Title: How Do You Know
    Year: 2010
    Genre: Romance, Comedy, Drama
    Rating: 7/10

220px-How_Do_You_Know_Poster.jpg

I remember having a copy of this in my hard drive, which I never bothered to watch and eventually deleted because of the low ratings and bad reviews I've read. Had a chance to watch it last night on cable, though. (I thought, why not? Pandagdag din sa movie challenge. :glee:)

How Do You Know, written and directed by James L. Brooks, is about Lisa (Reese Witherspoon) and George (Paul Rudd), two people who find each other at a point when both their lives had begun to unravel. Lisa's a pro softball player who's just been cut from the team and must now try and figure out what to do with her life. George, who works for his father (Jack Nicholson), loses his job and is being investigated for some sort of corporate crime he didn't commit.

I'm not sure if it's partly because of my low expectations, but I really enjoyed it. It was sweet, smart, and funny. I was chuckling almost all throughout, and a smile was plastered on my face by the time it ended. I get the bad reviews, though. There are parts of it that come across as absurd and unrealistic. There's also some weird camerawork in there that bothered me a couple of times.

Overall, I think How Do You Know is a likeable movie, and it's really not as bad as the critics make it out to be.
    (4) Animated Films
    Movie Title: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls Of Ga’Hoole
    Year: 2010
    Rating: 6.5/10

Legend_of_the_Guardians_film_poster.jpg

This was the film that I've probably anticipated the most prior to its first screening in Manila back in 2010. I was utterly disappointed back then because it did not live up to its promise. The film's trailer was a dream but after watching it the first time, I was left wondering what the heck happened? I cannot seemed to find the spunk I saw in its trailer. Rewatching it on DVD, I enjoyed it a little this time but don't get me wrong though, I still find the story uber-weak. It was the problem I had on my initial critique and it's the same right now. The only good thing about it was its musical scoring, alas, that factor couldn't even save The Owls of Ga'Hoole for being an utter disaster.
  • LulaLu__LulaLu__ Fangirl PExer
    The_Spectacular_Now_5.jpeg

The Spectacular Now
    Romance
    10/10

Sutter Keely (Miles Teller) lives in the now. He likes it that way. A high school senior, he is known as the charming fun guy, and the happy-go-lucky party dude around school. But, he has no plans for the future, which led to his girlfriend Cassidy (Brie Larson) breaking things off with him. Of course, he did whatever a love-sick teenage boy would do: he got crazy drunk like the world was ending.

The next day, he wakes up on the lawn in a neighborhood not too familiar to him. A girl his age is hovering over him, asking him what he was doing around the neighborhood. Turns out this girl knows him. Heck, she even goes to school with him, and he didn't recognize her face. She introduces herself as Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley), who later offers to help Sutter find his car around her neighborhood while she is off to do her paper route.

During their short journey to find his car, Sutter gets to know her. Aimee tells him that the paper route was supposed to be her mother's job, but her mother had other plans. He concludes that Aimee was a shy girl who lets her own mother step on her. And there came a dawn of realization on him: he has to help this poor girl. He needs to teach her how to live her life or else she might end up not living at all.

But as days and weeks go by, his original plan becomes something more: he gets into a relationship with her, but insists that he is only doing so to give her experience, but not realizing that this girl was slowly getting a hold on his heart. In the end, Sutter didn't just teach Aimee how to live life, but she also taught him to make all the moments in his life count.

I absolutely loved this movie. This film was hard to forget about. Even after watching it for the tenth time, it's still as beautiful as the first time I saw it. I don't know why exactly, but there was something about it that made it truly special. Aimee and Sutter are different. She is into sci-fi and comics, and he's a party animal. She has dreams and hopes for the future, while he is stuck in an illusion of the now. But despite all that, they were drawn to each other, and I thought it was beautiful, how they balanced each other out.

Probably another factor to why the movie was so good, were the portrayals by leads Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley, who have amazing chemistry on screen.

I have read the book by Tim Tharp (which the movie was based on) and I actually thought the movie was better. I mean, I loved the book, but I loved the movie even more. I think because the ending
    presented a second chance between Sutter and Aimee
    . [TRIVIA TIME!
    When asked in an interview what they thought happened between their characters after the screen went black, Teller says he thinks they just went out for lunch and caught up with each others' lives but didn't get back together because Aimee had already learned from her relationship with Sutter, while Woodley thinks that Sutter went to Aimee to show that he's changed his viewpoints in life and wanted a second chance which Aimee gave because she was never over him.
    (info is from the movie's IMDB page)]

Overall, The Spectacular Now is a film that is indeed, truly spectacular.

"It's fine to live in the now. But the best thing about now, is that there's another one tomorrow. And I'm going to start making them count." - Sutter Keely

Previously on my list...

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE

Four (4) movies nominated in the Academy (2014 and older)

#1. The Silver Linings Playbook (2012): (04-30-2014)
    #2. The Muppets (2012): (05-01-2014)
    #3. Saving Mr. Banks (2014): (05-04-2014)
    #4. Midnight In Paris (2011): (05-14-2014)

Four (4) Non-English Movies

#1. L?t Den R?tte Komma In (2008): (05-12-2014)
    #2. La Belle et la B?te (2014): (05-13-2014)

Four (4) movies released before 2000

#1. Clueless (1995): (05-02-2014)
    #2. Cruel Intentions (1999): (05-05-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

#1. The Lorax (2012): (05-03-2014)

Four (4) Movies Released In 2014

#1. The Other Woman (2014): (05-11-2014)

Movies Of The Month

March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): (05-06-2014)
    April: The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014): (05-10-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

#: (500) Days Of Summer (2009): (05-07-2014)
    A: Along Came Polly (2004): (05-08-2014)
    B: Beastly (2011): (05-09-2014)
    C: The Call (2013): (05-15-2014)
    D: Due Date (2010): (05-16-2014)
    [/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    barefoot-poster.jpg

Barefoot
    Romance
    7/10

Jay (Scott Speedman), the black sheep of a wealthy family meets a psychiatric patient named Daisy (Evan Rachel Wood) at the mental institution where he works as a janitor. He decides to take her home for his brother's wedding so he could convince his family that he is finally piecing his life back together. Daisy wins over his family with her innocent charm but after her secret is revealed Jay decides to bring her back to the institution so he will be out of trouble, not knowing that along the way back, they will fall in love.

This movie is definitely not one of those cliche romantic comedies, I tell you. Evan Rachel Wood really surprised me in this film. I'm used to seeing her in woman-on-top roles, which really left me in awe after seeing her here. She and Scott Speedman have seriously good chemistry too. If you're looking for an out of the box romantic comedy, then you should check this out.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

Day 01 - The Best Movie I Saw During The Last Year:
    The Spectacular Now (2013): (05-17-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

• carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter ✭✭✭
    Title: Some Kind of Wonderful
    Year: 1985
    Genre: Romance, Comedy
    Rating: 7/10

MPW-39939

Like a typical 80s Teen Film, the characters are one-dimensional. The parents are one of the antagonists in the story and the lead characters just want to do what they want to do. This film features my favorite rom-com tropes, the bestfriends-turned-lovers trope and the "set your loved one free" trope. And in accordance with that trope, this film features an iconic kissing scene, which is too romantic for a "practice" one. Not the best of John Hughes' films but I still love it.

--

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

2014 PEx Level-up Movie Challenge

Movies nominated in the Oscars
    [3/100] Nebraska (2013)

Non-English Movies
    [1/100] La Haine (1995)
    [5/100] A Separation (2011)

Movies released in 2014
    [8/100] Divergent (2014)
    [10/100] The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    [13/100] Godzilla (2014)

Movies released before 2000
    [2/100] Sixteen Candles (1984)
    [7/100] Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
    [15/100] Say Anything (1989)
    [16/100] Some Kind of Wonderful (1985)

Animated Films
    [11/100] Rio 2 (2014)

Movie of the Month
    March: [4/100] Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    April: [12/100] The Amazing Spiderman 2: Rise of Electro

Movies A-Z
    I: [6/100] Ides of March, The (2011)
    S: [9/100] Spectacular Now, The (2013)
    Y: [14/100] You May Not Kiss The Bride (2011)[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • ScareYouOftenScareYouOften Moderator PEx Moderator
    4/50: Non-English Movie
    Title: Il Mare (2000)
    Genre: Romance, Time-Travel
    Rating: 9.5/10

A heart-stirringly beautiful movie. An epic romance that teaches how important time is to everyone.

Il-Mare.jpg

When beautiful young woman, Eun-Joo (Jun Hi-Hyun) moves out of a seaside house called Il Mare (means "The Sea"), she leaves a letter asking the next tenant to forward her a mail with her new address. This mail finds Sung-Hyun (Lee Jung-Jae), an architecture student, who gets soon puzzled when he finds the letter is dated two years in the future. After a series of correspondences made through a magical mailbox, the two finally realize they are separated by time. Through this back-and-forth exchanges, an intimate yet complicated relationship finds itself burning fervently between them.

An exquisite cinematic masterpiece, 'Il Mare' is a heartwarmingly compelling story, a subtle and melancholic romance. The connection between the two protagonists is extremely delicate and yet grounded and believable. The soapy story takes great attention to detail and its cinematography remains remarkably breathless throughout the film's duration. It's a tale that easily finds itself lingering to the audience's mind even after weeks of having it seen, it's that magical. Il Mare echoes the significance of time and patience, of waiting and hoping. It's one of the most beautiful Korean classic love stories ever told.
    EDIT: 1 review per day pala. :rotfl:
    avengers-deleted.jpg

The Avengers
    Action
    9/10

The first time I watched this film, I had very high expectations. I mean, here we have these amazing actors, and a director who's a master of his craft. And right after watching it, I was not disappointed. Not one bit.

The action scenes and effects were amazing, and the script had that enough mixture of seriousness and humor. Joss Whedon's direction was perfect on screen and the entire cast had a good rapport.

Robert Downey Jr., as always, was effortlessly amazing as the genius billionaire, playboy, and philanthropist Tony Stark. I found both Chris Evans' old-fashioned, and man-out-of-time Steve Rogers and Chris Hemworth's Asgardian God Thor hilarious as they try to understand the humans' modern world. I thought that Mark Ruffalo did a great job taking over Bruce Banner duties. Jeremy Renner, despite having less than 13 minutes of screen time in the film, stood out in his scenes. Scarlett Johansson was more badass than ever. She and Renner have this unspoken chemistry. Tom Hiddleston gave a very convincing performance as Thor's younger brother Loki.

It was just so amazing I was left speechless at the end of the film, shaking with excitement for the second movie.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

Day 02 - The Last Movie I Saw
    Barefoot (2014): (05-18-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

(4) Animated Films
    Movie Title: Ice Age 4 Continental Drift
    Year: 2012
    Rating: 9/10

ice-age.jpg?w=500

Ten years after its first installment, Ice Age 4 yet again delivered a family flick that will capture the hearts of its young audience and the likes. Here, we see the charming gang with their adventures and misadventures into the high seas. Our three Ice-Age heroes (Manny The Mammoth, the Sabre-Tooth Tiger Diego and Sid the sloth) got separated from their families and were stuck in an ice-rift with Sid's Granny. While floating in the rift, they met a pirates clan led by an Orangutan named Captain Gutt who's looking to bring chaos and deliver his revenge. Determined to see their families again, Manny led the whole team into a showdown against the pirates. If I'm being honest, this is one of the few films in 3D which I thoroughly enjoyed. Ice Age 4 delivered a film that not only entertaining but also taught me / the audience a thing or two about life. It is simply a must see and perhaps, the best installment within the franchise.
    5/50: Movie Nominated in the Academy
    Title: Skyfall
    Released: 2012
    Genre: Action/Thriller

If I were to make a list of the greatest Bond films ever made, Skyfall will easily top that list.

0001_skyfall_poster.jpg

After several attempts by MGM to reinvent the character, Sam Mendes finally succeeds (not just in reinventing it but most importantly) bringing back the classic "Bond" back to life. While most moviegoers expect the movie to center in action and suspense, Mendes triumphs in bringing out the greatest strengths of this movie: making characterizations and themes co-exist alongside with the traditional action-packed nature of every Bond film. I even get the sense of watching a Christopher Nolan film because of what seemed to be a similar pattern like The Dark Knight Rises' that this movie trails from start to finish, proving there's a lot more things to explore in Bond, and in Skyfall, Mendes proves what he can do more to raise the layers of the said character to a new high level, giving it renewed spice and flavor.

Eventually, Sam's take on the said character is enough to pull Daniel Craig out of Sean Connery's shadow; Craig is finally able to define "Bond" in his own right and authority, without compromising the classic attributes of James Bond. Mendes's refreshing vision is able to give the franchise a whole new treatment without straying from the original essence and true spirit of "Bond", while also proving the saying "the old ways are still the best" ultimately true and in this installment's case, sensible.

Some of the greatest shocker events in Skyfall are: the movie giving us hints of"M"'s (Judi Dench) secretive past, Javier Bardem's comically ravishing portrayal of Raoul Silva (the main antagonist), and introduction of new characters like "Eve" "Q", which give us glimpse of the characters we will surely see in the next installments. And while the mysterious presentation of Ralph Fienne's character has actually seemed insignificant from the beginning, it has been actually proven wrong in the end, when the iconic role Judi Dench have l played for seven 007 films, "M", is finally turned over to Fiennes, giving us hint of how vital Fienne's role would be in the next James Bond movies. Now Fiennes is left with the challenge of stepping out of Lord Voldemort's shadows (an iconic role he previously played in HP Series) and continue the legacy left by Judi Dench by playing the role of MI6 Head and Bond's commanding officer.

As for some flaws noted in the film, one can easily observe the absence of lots of girls, the intimate and steamy scenes we usually see in a Bond film and some predictabilities in later part (which couldn't be major and still tolerable). Ultimately, Skyfall's classical sense rests on delving on Bond's character, the l vulnerability he also possesses, the attributes that define Bond: his unmistakable charm, verve and intellect, the escalated thrill brought by heart-throbbing action sequences, and the wonderful journey the cinematography of this movie brought us by capturing the exotic scenery of Istanbul, the magnificent night skyline of Shanghai and Macau and the breathtaking landscape of Scottish Highlands Truly, Sam Mendes is able to give the movie the "classic Bond feel" while also introducing Bond in a ground breaking treatment people will easily find lacking in the previous entries in the franchise. And indeed, as the world celebrates Bond's 50th anniversary, Skyfall's milestones are just fitting and timely to top the celebration.

***NOTE: This review was originally posted in 2012
  • _Zei_Emu__Zei_Emu_ Fangirl ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Catch Me If You Can
    Year: 2002
    Genre: Drama/Crime/Biography
    Rating: 10 out of 10

Catch_Me_If_You_Can_2002_movie.jpg

This movie is a treat because it has two of my favorite actors in it, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. It's one of those movies that I can watch over and over again and I will never get tired. It really showcased Leo's talent as a versatile actor. I consider this one of Steven Spielberg's best, too bad it was not nominated in the Oscars. Leo could've won. :glee:

I bet most of us have already seen this, but anyway, for those that didn't.. It's a true story about Frank W. Abagnale Jr., a con man who made millions of dollars from forged checks, and pretended to be a pilot, doctor, and a lawyer. He did all of these before his 19th birthday. The character's story is so fascinating, as to how he even managed to do all these, and he's not even at a legal age yet. Leonardo's performance is so believable, I couldn't think of any other who can play the role. Leonardo DiCaprio IS Frank Abagnale, Jr.

It also has a stellar cast. Tom Hanks as FBI agent Hanratty, is his usual best, Christopher Walken had great chemistry with Leo, and Amy Adams, fits the role of the nerdy Brenda, whom Frank falls in love with, ironically. Steven Spielberg, as we all know, almost never disappoints, but what I love about it is it's different from the usual epic and full-of-special-effects Spielberg movies.

The movie doesn't drag at all, as the character's story is very interesting. It is highly engaging and fun to watch. I realized how gullible people in the 70's were, that they are easily fooled by Frank because if he lived in this generation he wouldn't have been able to do so. I also like the 70's atmosphere here, that costumes, the songs take me back to the glorious era. The opening credits were great, it was an animation of Frank's different personas, a lengthy one, but fascinating enough.

It's been 12 years since I've seen this in a theater with my friends, and I never get tired of rewatching it. You can call it a popcorn movie, but it's more than that. It doesn't dwell much on the seriousness of the crime, instead Spielberg made it fun and entertaining to watch. Not that the movie tolerates it, as Frank also suffered the consequences but bounced back as a check fraud specialist. It's one of Leonardo's best roles ever, and Spielberg's finest classic non-epic film yet.
    Let-Me-In-US-posterDesign-1V3R21-699x1023.jpg

Let Me In
    Horror
    8.5/10

Let Me In starts with an ambulance wailing through the snowy night. Medics are trying to bring a man alive to the only hospital in town. They need this man alive because he is suspected of the murders happening around town. At the hospital, the detective wants him to talk, but he couldn't. As he had doused his face in acid, apparently on purpose. After the detective leaves for a moment, he hears a nurse's blood curling scream. He runs back to the room, now knowing he couldn't get anything out of the man, since he had jumped out of the hospital window to his inevitable death.

The film moves back to a few days before, showing the story of Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee), a peculiar boy who is always being targeted by bullies at school and is always too afraid to fight back. One snowy night, he sees a moving truck stop in front of their apartment. Having a thing with spying on his neighbors, he uses his telescope to see who has arrived. He sees a middle aged man and a young girl who looked like his daughter walk toward the apartment building he lives in. Another thing he notices that despite the cold snow, the girl wasn't wearing any shoes. He also realizes that they move in into the room right next to them. Nights later, he notices that he only usually sees the girl at night. At his first attempt to make nice with her, he notices her hesitation, but as a few nights more go by, she eventually warms up to him.

Enter Abby (Chloe Grace Moretz). Owen finds that there is something odd about her, yet he is drawn to her. He is glad that he finally has someone to confide in. Abby tells him to fight back to his bullies. Which he does. When things start going well for him, things go worse in town, and when he finds that Abby may have something to do with those grisly murders, she reveals to him her secret that may change everything.

I know in my bones that the film this was based on, Let The Right One In, was the better movie, but I liked this more. Probably because it was less darker. I'm not really a horror movie type of person, but I liked its concept.

There was chemistry between the leads Moretz and Smit-McPhee, who play Abby and Owen, respectively, and I thought they carried the movie really well. They portrayed their characters with such subtlety that will make the viewer sympathize for them. Matt Reeves's direction was good, I can tell, since I think it's hard to direct a movie that is carried by adolescent teenagers. The music was also hauntingly good.

I know remakes don't really turn out amazing, but if you love horror films, you have got to give this a try.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

Barefoot (2014): (05-18-2014)Day 03 - My Favorite Action/Adventure Movie
    The Avengers (2012): (05-19-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

(4) Animated Films
    Movie Title: Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted
    Year: 2012

madagascar3-poster.jpg?w=500

Hinted to be the last film in the franchise, Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted did not shy away from its endearing first installment that we fell in love with. Picking up from where the second film ended, our awesome-foursome , Alex, Melman, Marty and Gloria and the rest of the crew are off to Montecarlo in hopes of getting a ride home to New York.

In Monte Carlo, comes the feisty animal-control officer, Chantel DuBois who's out to get Alex's tail by hook or by crook. It was a charming chase actually, still very funny and the whole film was set into a very fast-paced mood. Oh, I just gotta mention King Julien again. He's just so funny! I love him!

I love that this film didn't lose its touch to deliver hilarious moments, though nonsensical at times but still funny. With this "perhaps" final bid from our foursome, they surely delivered an awesome farewell!
    6/50: Movies Nominated in the Academy
    Title: Gattaca
    Release Year: 1997
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller

Mind –enriching, thought-provoking, one of the greatest science-fiction films ever made. All these fit “Gattaca”, an exceedingly underrated movie of the 90’s.

3581152_5261427_b.jpg

I first saw this movie two years ago, and I was instantly blown-away. I had to have it seen twice, though to fully understand it, and when I did, it instantly climbed on top of my personal sci-fi films list.

In the movie, genetic engineering and DNA plays the biggest role in determining the social class one should belong to in what is conceived to be eutopian society. Those belonging to the highest ranks, work at a space program named “Gattaca”, operated and owned by the world’s biggest aerospace conglomerate. There, only those in perfect health, high IQ and longest expected life spans, are automatically admitted. Vincent (Ethan Hawke), being born below all those determinants, falls to just being a cleaner in the space center—an “in-valid” as his kind is called . He’s been dreaming to work in the program ever since and to be part of a crew set to explore Saturn’s moons—a desire, primarily driven by his jealousy to his brother who is born with those desired attributes. When Jerome (Jude Law), an ideal “Gattacan” who is paralyzed in an accident but has all the scores to make it to the program, makes a deal with him, the reality of his dream finally comes into view. Jerome provides everything he needs in order for him to fit in the program—blood, urine samples, even contact lenses, and everything he needs to conceal his old identity. After passing series of tests, surgeries and practices, Vincent easily perpetrates the program and quickly jolts to being the company’s premiere celestial navigator. But just as when he is about to go aboard the mission to Saturn’s moons, an incident posing threat of exposing his “invalid” identity, happened. He is now caught in a dangerous pursuit for an inferior that perpetrated the sacred program. The investigation is further stirred when Vincent finds out one of the investigators is Anton (Loren Dean), his estranged brother. Anton tries to convince Vincent to come under his protection before he is found out, but to no avail, as his coming only reignites the competition that has drawn the gap between the two since when they’re kids. Adding to this complication, is a developing romance between Vincent and Irene, (Uma Thurman) a co-worker.

Showcasing stellar performances from Ethan Hawke, Jude Law, Uma Thurman and Loren Dean, “Gattaca” delves deeper beyond the known depths of a sci-fiction. Hawke perfectly fits his role as an inferior who’s been dreaming to raise his rank in the society. Law is also a great choice as a superior intellectual being embittered by his personal tragedies. Together, Hawke and Law’s parallel relationship shines throughout the movie. It’s one of the best elements of the movie, actually.
    Gattaca is a cinematic gem that hits the core of human spirit and provides a better insight about a society built upon genetic determinism. Overall, the movie is a stunningly great visual accompanied by a well-written, smart and provocative script and a phenomenal score. Truly, a wonderful start for then newcomer director, Andrew Niccol.
  • _Zei_Emu__Zei_Emu_ Fangirl ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Jesus of Nazareth
    Year: 1977
    Genre: Drama
    Rating: 9 out of 10

Jesus_of_nazareth.jpg

The last time I watched this was during the betamax era and all I remember was Robert Powell was so perfect-looking as Jesus Christ. Maybe because he was the first Jesus I saw in a movie or his face became the basis of many paintings/posters we see today. Just seeing him on the screen made me shiver like I was seeing the true Jesus Christ, that's how I remember him until now that I watched him again. It was eerie.

I think that this is the best Jesus movie because it tackles the whole story, from Mary & Joseph's courting stage, Jesus' birth, childhood and as a grown man, the Apostles' story, the miracles, the parables, Mary Magdalene, the calvary and the resurrection. Everything about Jesus. I didn't know that it was 6-hour long, so I was still awake until 4am just trying to finish it. :hiya:

Even though I lost sleep watching this, I really learned a lot from the story, especially the story of the disciples, it was fascinating. And of course, seeing my favorite Jesus actor, Robert Powell gave me goosebumps. (I just learned that he never blinks in his scenes) This will forever be the most memorable and most complete Jesus movie and my favorite along with Mel Gibson's version.
    The-Last-Song-Movie-Poster.jpg

The Last Song
    Drama
    8.5/10

The Last Song tells the story of teenage rebel Veronica (Miley Cyrus), who was forced to move in with her father (Greg Kinnear), who she was estranged from ever since her parents' divorce, for the summer. After a shoplifting incident back in New York, Veronica, along with her younger brother, Jonah (Bobby Coleman), were both brought to North Carolina to live with their father. While her brother was absolutely excited, Veronica clearly wasn't. As soon as they arrive, Veronica leaves the house and walks around town were she later meets the charming and handsome Will (Liam Hemsworth). As she falls in love with Will, she also slowly pieces back together the relationship she has with her father. But later she learns the secret her father has been keeping from her, and it breaks her heart all over again.

People would say, this isn't even the best Nicholas Sparks movie adaptation! Yeah, well, I agree. But this is my favorite because the father-daughter relationship between Veronica and her dad is one of the main plots of the film, instead of focusing entirely on the romance. Also, I thought Cyrus did a pretty god job in the film. And I found it quite amazing that Sparks wrote Veronica's character with her in his mind. Her chemistry with Hemsworth radiated on-screen and I loved every minute of their screen time together.

Previously on my list...

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

30-Day Movie Challenge

Barefoot (2014): (05-18-2014)Day 03 - My Favorite Action/Adventure Movie
    The Avengers (2012): (05-19-2014)
    Day 04 - My Favorite Horror Movie
    Let Me In (2010): (05-20-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE
    four (4) movies released before 2000
    Movie Title: The Cure
    Year: 1995
    Genre: Drama

the-cure1.jpg?w=500

The Cure stars the late actor Brad Renfro and the equally very young Joseph Mazello. Dexter (Mazzello) suffers from AIDS he acquired from blood transfusion and his new neighbor Erik (Renfro) befriends him that led to their adventure in finding out "a cure" for the former's disease.

Watching this film made me truly sad but it was a happy kind of sad. The story didn't talk much about AIDS but rather the personal and moral issues masked through simple lines in the film. Renfro and Mazzello are both endearing in this film whilst Annabella Sciorra who plays the loving Mother of Dexter was truly exceptional here.

The story was nothing but a life affirming one - a story of friendship when both found someone to cling on as they went into a short journey entangling them both even after life.
    7/50: Movies Shown before 2000
    Title: Message in A Bottle
    Year Released: 1999
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    Rating: 8/10

199902-message-in-a-bottle.jpeg

When Theresa (Robin Wright), a single mother and reporter, finds a bottle containing loveletters, floating ashore, she follows its trail that leads her to a sailboat builder named Garrett (Kevin Costner), in a sleepy and quiet town along the coast. It turns out that those love letters are addressed to Garrett's wife who's been deceased for two years. Intrigued, Theresa views his story a good material for the newspaper she works for. But as days of delving deeper on Garrett's life pass, Theresa finds herself falling for the man who is still in deep pain, and as romance blossoms between them, Garrett gets caught up between the past he's been wanting to be freed from and a new tomorrow with a new woman he can't believe he's been developing stronger affection for.

Showcasing stellar performances from Academy Award winners Kevin Costner and Paul Newman, and Robin Wright, Message in A Bottle carves an honest, heart-stirring romance in its audience's hearts. It's deep and melancholic, but believable. Paul Newman and Kevin Costner shines with their stunning portrayal in an almost estranged father-son relationship embittered by Garrett's failed romance. Robin Wright imparts a genuine take on a loving mother and a wandering soul searching for someone to love and love her back. Every character is worth to care for, their dialogues bearing heart and soul .

The story may not be the perfect love story with the usual 'happily-ever-after' ending, but its honest. It's both tragic and brilliant, spectacular and heartbreaking, but imparts a deeper sense of love, pain, and moving on.

Boasting a brilliant score, a wonderful coastal scenery, cinematographic magic that further highlights the romance between the two, making it believable,and a well-written script, Message in A Bottle is definitely a worth-to-see love story.
This discussion has been closed.