PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

The Official 2014 PEx Movie Challenge - Guidelines and Reviews Thread

Comments

• _Zei_Emu__Zei_Emu_ Fangirl ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Frozen
    Year: 2013
    Genre: Animation
    Rating: 8 out of 10

Frozen-movie-poster_zps66087c7f.jpg

It reminds me of Tangled which I loved so much, but this one didn't make me cry. I love the songs though. The story is simple but quite heartwarming, I have a sister so I can somehow relate. Some scenes can get too cheesy and the singing parts are a bit too long. I love the visuals of the winter, it's a beauty to see but I don't like the male characters' appearance, they're not as good-looking as my Flynn Rider. :bashful: I like the voice talents especially Adelle Dazeem :glee: she sounds really like a woman of authority and not a very Disney-esque voice.

The story is not compelling enough, and the characters not fully developed. I guess there should be a prequel to shed light on how Elsa got her powers. Anyway, still it's great entertainment for kids especially little girls. It even produced one of the most popular theme songs, Let It Go, that every kid seem to know by heart. No wonder the song won an Oscar.

8.5/10
  • paddylastpaddylast Cut & Run Disciple ✭✭✭
    THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE
    (4) movies nominated in the Academy
    Movie Title: Babel
    Year: 2006
    Genre: Drama
    Rating: 9.5/10

Babel_poster32.jpg

Babel is a riveting tale that encompasses continents, people and their stories entangled into a socio-political and personal struggles that is inevitable and prevalent in the world that we're living in today.

It stars Brad Pitt who perhaps delivered one of his most noteworthy performances. He played Richard Jones who along with his wife Susan (Cate Blanchett) were in Morocco for a vacation. While traveling Susan was accidentally shot by a young Moroccan boy that was immediately assessed by the US government as an act of terrorism. Meanwhile, in the US - the Jones's kids nanny was forced to take the kids with her in Mexico to attend her son's wedding without the Jones' permission - an event that lead to them being detained by the immigration. In the other side of the world, we have Cheiko, a deaf-mute Japanese girl , traumatized by her mother's suicide and whose father was the person who gifted the pistol that was used in the shooting in Morocco when the latter went there for a hunting trip - the girl herself was battling her own demons coming to terms with her mother's death and her dad's lack of support. The entanglement of each story was an outstanding and thorough display of how humans are connected at one point in time. The outline of the film was so big and as it is "multicultural" that it was easy to be fascinated by it and be at the edge of your seat and breathless expecting things to happen hopefully in favor of the characters you're rooting for. The emotion was heavy here that somehow it'd make you exhausted and you almost want to smack each character but in the end - it may provide you some realization - good or bad at that.
  • mykel14mykel14 Oh, ****. ✭✭✭
    An egotistic nobleman is turned into an awful creature and, in order to break the spell, he tries to win the love of a village girl. Beauty and the Beast follows the journey of Belle, a bright and beautiful young lady held captive by a monstrous beast in his castle. Over time, she ultimately learns to look past the Beast’s appearance and facade to see the heart and soul of a worthy prince.

Believe it or not, this is the first time I’ve watched Beauty and the Beast. It’s hard not to compare it with Hotel Transylvania, the other animated feature I saw that day. Both have compelling stories and share sound life lessons, though I enjoyed Hotel Transylvania more. Something’s a bit off with Belle. Yes, she’s strong and intelligent. But I think she was presented as being too ambitious at the beginning. (Or maybe it’s just me reacting to her problems in living in a province :lol: ) The songs aren’t as remarkable, as well. Except, of course, for the Beauty and the Beast.

Beauty and the Beast
    Directed by: Kirk Wise, Gary Trousdale
    Date seen: May 11, 2014
    Genre: Animated film
    Rating: 7/10

2014 PINOYEXCHANGE MOVIE CHALLENGE

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    THE BASIC MOVIE CHALLENGE

Movies nominated in the Academy
    1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    2. Justice League: War
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

Movies released before 2000
    1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: A-Z, # MOVIES
    A - The Amazing Spider-Man
    C - The Cabin in the Woods
    E - Ender's Game
    G - A Good Day to Die Hard
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    T - Thor: The Dark World
    W - We're The Millers
    # - 13 Going on 30

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    April: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

THE 30-DAY MOVIE CHALLENGE
    Day 01: The best movie I saw last year - Man of Steel
    Day 02: The last movie I watched - The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Day 03: My favorite action movie - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    [/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • LulaLu__LulaLu__ Fangirl PExer
    Affiche_La_Belle_et_la_Bete_Lea-Seydoux-2.jpg

La Belle et la B?te
    (The Beauty and the Beast)
    Fantasy
    6.5/10

Based on the traditional version of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, I can say that the Franco-German adaption was quite faithful to its original. It tells the story of a merchant who takes a rose in the garden of a terrifying creature, who later takes the merchant's youngest daughter, Belle, a prisoner in his palace.

The film's entire atmosphere was breathtaking, leaving me completely amazed by the settings where the entire fairy tale took place, like it had that magical quality to it. I thought how the beast was made was really good, as it was similar to how the beast was described in the original story, though, I thought he was a bit too animated. The movie was I guess a bit darker than most of the film adaptations of Beauty and the Beast, but nevertheless, it was beautiful.

One thing I didn't really like was they made Belle dream about what really happened to the Beast and how he came to be, which gave me the impression that she fell in love with the man he once was, not at who he is right now.

But, other than that, it was a beautiful adaption, one that you definitely need to see even at least just once in your life.

Previously on my list...

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE

Four (4) movies nominated in the Academy (2014 and older)

#1. The Silver Linings Playbook (2012): (04-30-2014)
    #2. The Muppets (2012): (05-01-2014)
    #3. Saving Mr. Banks (2014): (05-04-2014)

Four (4) Non-English Movies

#1. L?t Den R?tte Komma In (2008): (05-12-2014)

Four (4) movies released before 2000

#1. Clueless (1995): (05-02-2014)
    #2. Cruel Intentions (1999): (05-05-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

#1. The Lorax (2012): (05-03-2014)

Four (4) Movies Released In 2014

#1. The Other Woman (2014): (05-11-2014)

Movies Of The Month

March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): (05-06-2014)
    April: The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014): (05-11-2014)

A-Z, # Movies

#: (500) Days Of Summer (2009): (05-07-2014)
    A: Along Came Polly (2004): (05-08-2014)
    B: Beastly (2011): (05-09-2014)
    midnight-in-paris-poster.jpg

Midnight In Paris
    Fantasy
    7.5/10

Midnight In Paris is definitely one of those throwback movies, if you know what I mean. A struggling novelist, Gil (Owen Wilson), had to tag along with his fiancee, Inez (Rachel McAdams), and her family in Paris. He decides that they move there after their wedding, but she strongly disagrees. One night, his fiancee decides to go on a night out with friends, and he chooses not to come with and strolls around the city. When he realizes that at midnight, he is transported to 1920s Paris, where he meets famous figures from that time, like Ernest Hemingway (Corey Stoll), F. Scott Fitzgerald (Tom Hiddleston), and Salvador Dali (Adrien Brody).]

First of all, woah! Woody Allen caught Paris in its most beautiful. It just sets the mood for the entire movie. The story was just-- it left me wishing that I could discover a certain place at a different time. The movie, overall, was just not quite there yet, though. I didn't really feel Owen Wilson, possibly because I've seen him in too much comedies, but he had charisma that his character needed. Marion Cotillard was spellbinding. Rachel McAdams, despite having a not-so big role, left an impression.

Midnight in Paris is not perfect, but let me tell you, even if you're a Woody Allen hater (a lot of people are, I just found out.), this is worth to watch.

Previously on my list...

#2. La Belle et la B?te (2014): (05-13-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

A-Z, # Movies

• carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter ✭✭✭
    Title: Godzilla
    Year: 2014
    Genre: Monster, Action
    Rating: 8/10

Godzilla-Teaser-Poster-2.jpeg

Today I learned that Godzilla is actually a good monster. I wish this was established in the film early on. I felt that it was lacking in action, as time was spent so much in explanations that are rather not needed in the defeat of the monsters. Otherwise, this is a great tribute to the 60 years of Godzilla, in terms of visual effects. I was truly scared with his every roar and was clapping when he was battling the parasites in California. I keep thinking, I loved Pacific Rim better.

--

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]2014 PEx Level-up Movie Challenge

Movies nominated in the Oscars
    [3/100] Nebraska (2013)

Non-English Movies
    [1/100] La Haine (1995)
    [5/100] A Separation (2011)

Movies released in 2014
    [8/100] Divergent (2014)
    [10/100] The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    [13/100] Godzilla (2014)

[2/100] Sixteen Candles (1984)
    [7/100] Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

Animated Films
    [11/100] Rio 2 (2014)

Movie of the Month
    March: [4/100] Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    April: [12/100] The Amazing Spiderman 2: Rise of Electro

Movies A-Z
    I: [6/100] Ides of March, The (2011)
    S: [9/100] Spectacular Now, The (2013)[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    Movie Title: The Kids Are All Right
    Year: 2010

Kids_are_all_right_poster.jpg

The Kids Are All Right has got to be one of my favorite films in recent years. It's about a lesbian couple played by Annette Bening as Nic and Julianne Moore as Jules who each have given birth to a child using the same sperm donor (Mark Ruffalo). Eager to meet their donor / father, their youngest son Laser (Josh Hutcherson) contacted the facility with the help of her older sister Joni (Mia Wasikowska) and arrange a meeting with the Paul (Ruffalo). The meeting went well but from there on their life went spiraling that threaten to break the very foundation of their family.

I just love this film! I know it was not even the frontrunner at the 83rd Academy Awards (with films like The King's Speech, Inception and The Social Network having that honor) but I was hoping back then that for some unknown miracle, it'd get that Best Picture award - but ofcourse, that's just me wistful thinking.

I just really find the film so refreshing and so well acted. As in you cannot fault anyone here. Bening and Moore and equally stunning in their role. Ruffalo's amazing and Josh and Mia are just good enough to carry it through! And man' who could forget that scene when Jules eventually addressed her family and begs for forgiveness? That was just heartbreaking, I was crying like a baby in that scene! I thought Annette should've won an Oscar here though. She couldn't really get a break right? It's just perfect for me. Altogether, the ensemble was just ingrained in the film that made it dynamic, emotional to the core and even funny at some point! It's my sentimental winner that year - I was glad though that at the end of the film, truly - the kids are all right....
    Shutter scared the shit out of me when I saw this in theaters back in 2004. It took me a few weeks to recover and get back to my usual sleeping pattern. :lol: I never planned of re-watching it, but I guess this is one of the downsides of including only those films seen this year for my movie review. A decade later, I'd like to believe I've grown a bit braver, but who am I kidding? It is still as frightening as before. THAT LAST SCENE! :whatthe: I never want to have any neck, shoulder or back muscle pain this month. :ayaw:

I rarely watch scary films, so I guess this counts as my favorite horror movie.

P.S. I initially obtained the US version. Has anyone seen it?

Shutter
    Directed by: Parkpoom Wongpoom, Banjong Pisanthanakun
    Date seen: May 14, 2014
    Genre: Horror; Thriller
    Rating: 10/10

2014 PINOYEXCHANGE MOVIE CHALLENGE

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    THE BASIC MOVIE CHALLENGE

Movies nominated in the Academy
    1. Lone Survivor

Non-English Movies
    1. Amelie

Animated Films
    1. Frozen
    2. Justice League: War
    3. Rio 2
    4. The Croods

1. Con Air
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. The Lion King

Movies released in 2014
    1. Divergent
    2. The Other Woman

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: A-Z, # MOVIES
    A - The Amazing Spider-Man
    B - Beauty and the Beast
    C - The Cabin in the Woods
    E - Ender's Game
    G - A Good Day to Die Hard
    H - Hotel Transylvania
    I - I, Robot
    O - Olympus Has Fallen
    R - Red Dawn
    T - Thor: The Dark World
    W - We're The Millers
    # - 13 Going on 30

THE LEVEL-UP MOVIE CHALLENGE: MOVIE OF THE MONTH
    March: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    April: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

THE 30-DAY MOVIE CHALLENGE
    Day 01: The best movie I saw last year - Man of Steel
    Day 02: The last movie I watched - The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Day 03: My favorite action movie - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter ✭✭✭
    Title: You May Not Kiss The Bride
    Year: 2011
    Genre: Romance, Comedy
    Rating: 5/10

20120628ymnktb2011c.jpg

This is an awful movie but I can't believe I was hooked til the end. The plot was the main awful thing in the movie, it was crazy and ridiculous. The main leads have chemistry, but due to the awful writing, it was not utilized well. I think Dave Annable and Katharine McPhee will work really well under a good romantic comedy film. The most hilarious thing is they let Kevin Dunn do a jungle chase scene. He is such a great actor but consented to this hullabaloo. The best aspect of this film, however, is the setting. It featured how beautiful Hawaii is.

--

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]2014 PEx Level-up Movie Challenge

Movies nominated in the Oscars
    [3/100] Nebraska (2013)

Non-English Movies
    [1/100] La Haine (1995)
    [5/100] A Separation (2011)

Movies released in 2014
    [8/100] Divergent (2014)
    [10/100] The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
    [13/100] Godzilla

[2/100] Sixteen Candles (1984)
    [7/100] Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

Animated Films
    [11/100] Rio 2 (2014)

Movie of the Month
    March: [4/100] Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    April: [12/100] The Amazing Spiderman 2: Rise of Electro

Movies A-Z
    I: [6/100] Ides of March, The (2011)
    S: [9/100] Spectacular Now, The (2013)
    Y: [14/100] You May Not Kiss The Bride (2011)[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    Movie Title: Hugo
    Year: 2011

hugo_poster.jpg?w=500

Hugo's one of my favorite films in 2011 and perhaps one that I'd always associate with Martin Scorsese while having happy but somehow melancholic thoughts. The film takes on a different era introducing us to Hugo, a young boy who lives in a Parisian train station setting its clocks and trying to fix a robot (automaton) that may carry a final message from his dad who died earlier. I’ve not read the book where it’s based from but the approach of the film itself gave me that incredible feeling of reminiscing Scorsese’s masterpieces that it’s just right. Everything feels good about this film. At first I was thinking, "What’s he going to do with this one? Remember Raging Bull, Goodfellas or perhaps the The Departed? These are not ‘family’ flicks so to speak. The cast was a strong ensemble of fine actors which includes no less than Sir Ben Kingsley, Chloe Grace Moretz and Sacha Baron Cohen - ofcourse the star of the film, Asa Butterfield (Hugo) was equally charming as the rest. I guess what I liked most about the film was the perfect balance of magic and realism that would make you feel good with just about anything. Truly, this one's another singular creation of THE Martin Scorsese.
  • bitter_ocampobitter_ocampo toothless ✭✭✭
    Movies released in 2014 (2/4)

Movie Title: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Year: 2014
    Genre: Action, Superhero
    Rating: 7/10

220px-The_Amazing_Spiderman_2_poster.jpg

I saw it the other night and I really liked it, but it's far from flawless. A lot of what I've heard or read about the movie prior to watching it (including reviews from this thread) were pretty spot on (too many villains, mediocre plot, etc.) And like most people, I think the chemistry between the two leads is the best thing about the movie. I adore Emma and Andrew. :love: I also loved that it didn't lack for emotion. That scene between Peter and Aunt May almost had me in tears. Plus those aerial shots of Spidey flying around the city are always awesome.
  • _Zei_Emu__Zei_Emu_ Fangirl ✭✭✭
    Movie Title: Wreck-It Ralph
    Year: 2012
    Genre: Animation
    Rating: 10 out of 10

Wreckitralphposter.jpeg

This is such a unique and one-of-a-kind animated movie. The concept is fresh, and Disney succeeded in making this kind of movie possible. It gives a lot of nostalgia for all those kids and also adults who grew up with these arcade characters. It's a tribute to the arcade games we loved during our childhood.

The story is about Wreck-It Ralph, a villain in Fix-It-Felix, Jr. who doesn't want to be a bad guy anymore. He befriends Vanellope von Schweetz and saves her from being a glitch in the game and ultimately becomes a hero he had always wanted.

The characters are awesome and the animation is so colorful. You can see the elements of the arcade game in each character. It was fun to see the Streetfighter characters, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pacman and others. I felt like a kid all over again. It's like being transported into the world of arcade games. Amazing, creative, refreshing and heartwarming. By the way, I also got teary-eyed with the movie.

One of the best films of 2012, probably one of the best animated films I've ever seen.

Wreck-It Ralph: I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
  • bitter_ocampobitter_ocampo toothless ✭✭✭
    mykel14 wrote: »
    I never want to have any neck, shoulder or back muscle pain this month. :ayaw:

Pag masakit balikat ko, itong movie na to ang naaalala ko. :lol:

I've seen both versions pero matagal na rin e, sa pagkaalala ko halos parehas lang naman, pero mas nakakatakot yung original. :)
  • ScareYouOftenScareYouOften Moderator PEx Moderator
    DAY 3/50: Movie Released in 2014
    Title: Godzilla (2014)
    Genre: Creature-Feature/Disaster
    Rating: 6/10

After long years of absence, the world's most famous monster reptile breathes its radioactive fire anew on the big screen.

godzilla-poster-back.jpg

Gareth Edwards' version of Godzilla vaunts a stellar ensemble of powerhouse cast and extravagant CGI-effects. Edwards attempts to cruise through creature and disaster features of the film. That take shines on the film's small and delicate moments, but fails to deliver a signigicant result on the entirety of the movie. The fight scenes among the beastly creatures are good and sometimes thrilling but lack sustained pulling effect to keep the audience holding their breath.

The huge potential of the casts is not fully and properly utilized; most of whom remain ineffective throughout the film and fail to establish enough impact to connect their presence to the whole story. Even Aaron Taylor-Johnson's role doesn't seem to matter as the focus of the movie seems to always fall on its real superstars, Godzilla itself and a pair of smaller villanous monsters whose potential mating poses threat to the whole world. In main, this movie is good, its biggest asset are still the monsters and as far as the fighting scenes are concerned, this one is tolerable, I mean still good, but not explosive enough to deliver edge-of-your-seat thrill.
    Pag masakit balikat ko, itong movie na to ang naaalala ko. :lol:

I've seen both versions pero matagal na rin e, sa pagkaalala ko halos parehas lang naman, pero mas nakakatakot yung original. :)

:ayaw: talaga. Tapos mag-isa ka pa sa bahay. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up. :up: Deleting the file. ;)
    Wrong thread yata ako. :rotfl:
  • mrpasawaymrpasaway Member PExer
    ^thanks for the review..i was hoping for a better review, though.
    mrpasaway wrote: »
    ^thanks for the review..i was hoping for a better review, though.

Ako ba 'to? Actually, I almost fell asleep on some parts. Okay naman ang visuals, pero other than that nakulangan talaga. Tinatamad ako himay himayin eh. Go see it, baka magustuhan mo. :bungi:
    The+Call.jpg

The Call
    Thriller
    8/10

Jordan (Halle Berry) is your average 911 operator. One day, she takes a call of a young girl (Evie Thompson), who claims there was somebody trying to break into their house and get her. Worried for the girl, Jordan attempts to help her by telling her what to do while the police were still on their way, but after a fateful mistake, she fails to save the girl, hears her last breath and even gets to speak to her killer. Of course, this event shakes her to the core, realizing that it was nothing she was ever prepared for. She is later reminded that she has to move on and not dwell as the girl's death was inevitable. Days later, as she was slowly getting over what had happened, another young woman (Abigail Breslin) was kidnapped, still by the same man. And this time, Jordan is making sure that she will do whatever it takes to keep the young girl alive.

The first thing I did right after watching this movie was heave out a sigh. No, not the thank God the movie's over kind of sigh, but the thank God it ended that way kind of sigh. The entire movie left my heart racing so fast. I was truly terrified. This wasn't a horror movie, but this was equally just as scary. The acting was top notch, and they made it really believable. The camera-work wasn't so bad, despite those parts where they zoom in too much on the characters' faces.

Overall, if you want a movie that'll keep you on the edge of your seats the entire time, then you should see this.

Previously on my list...

#4. Midnight In Paris (2011): (05-14-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

A-Z, # Movies

Due-Date-Movie-Promo-Poster.jpg

Due Date
    Comedy
    5.5/10

Serious and uptight Peter (Robert Downey Jr.) is off to fly back to Los Angeles after a business trip to be with his wife as she gives birth to their first child. He meets whimsical, aspiring actor Ethan (Zach Galifianakis), who he has a misunderstanding with, and they both get kicked off the plane right before they take off. They also get banned from taking any flights, which forces Peter to take a roadtrip with Ethan back to LA, which starts a series of unfortunate and hilarious events.

Although the movie had some funny scenes, overall, it just wasn't that good. I actually expected much from this movie. I mean, they have Todd Phillips as director, who also directed hit comedy The Hangover. It stars Galifianakis, who is a regular in comedic films, and Downey, who is also an amazingly versatile actor. Though, I will admit, they were pretty good in this film, it just really didn't hit the mark.

Previously on my list...

#4. Midnight In Paris (2011): (05-14-2014)

Four (4) Animated Films

Movies Of The Month

A-Z, # Movies

C: The Call (2013): (05-15-2014)
This discussion has been closed.