Home PEx Sports PBA

The Gilas additions: Who should be in and out?

Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
Coach Chot Reyes announced earlier today that the Gilas national team pool has now at least 17 members. Here's the list:

Ginebra - Japeth Aguilar, LA Tenorio, Greg Slaughter
Meralco - Jared Dillinger, Gary David
Rain or Shine - Gabe Norwood, Jeff Chan, Beau Belga, Paul Lee
San Mig Coffee - Marc Pingris
San Miguel Beer - Junmar Fajardo, Marcio Lassiter
Talk 'N Text - Jimmy Alapag, Larry Fonacier, Jayson Castro, Ranidel De Ocampo
Naturalized Player - Marcus Douthit

With 17 members in the roster, Reyes is expected to add a couple more to complete the 24-man pool he plans to have.

Assuming though that this list is final (17 players), who do you think should be part of the pool and who should be out? Remember, you need to put down 17 names to fill up the pool. And just so not to over-complicate the situation, forget about the MVP-RSA rivalry for now. Let's assume that EVERYONE in the PBA / D-League is available for the pool, except for the ineligible players.

Share your thoughts guys...

Comments

• darknight10darknight10 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Coach Chot Reyes announced earlier today that the Gilas national team pool has now at least 17 members. Here's the list:

Blatche > McGee > Douhtit
    Lassiter > Dillinger > David/Fonacier
  • BestintheworldWJBestintheworldWJ PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    In:

Kelly williams
    Jay washington ( if healthy)
    Sol mercado ( like paul makakasabay to)
    Nino canaleta
    Asi taulava
    Dondon hontiveros
    James yap
    Ray parks

Out:

Bo belga
    Gary david
    Kayo na mamili kung sino tatangalin kay l.a o jimmy.

with regards to mark baroca no brainer redundancy na siya at isa pa liability siya. Kaya hintay nalang siya ng panahon niya.

Ps: sana sama si timcone at ato pero si ato observe lang muna para matuto.
  • iannedriannedr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    sir yung mga pinost nyo puro mga individual player yan. di sila fit sa team type game
  • akosidabakosidab PEx Rookie ⭐
    For me ang dapat na mawala ay si Tenorio, David at Fajardo. These are players na hindi bagay sa international competitions, just look at the last fiba asia.

yung kapalit dapat nila ay si Lee/Baroks, Lasitier at Greg.
  • akosidab wrote: »
    For me ang dapat na mawala ay si Tenorio, David at Fajardo. These are players na hindi bagay sa international competitions, just look at the last fiba asia.

yung kapalit dapat nila ay si Lee/Baroks, Lasitier at Greg.

nag-improve na nga siya after that (FIBA-Asia), ang ganda na nga ng nilalaro niya.

out:
    LA Tenorio
    G. David
    L. Fonacier
    J Alapag

in: (mukhang agree ako kay coach chot)
    Paul Lee/Mark Barroca
    Greg Slaughter
    Jarred Dillinger
    Marcio Lassiter
  • kung yan na ang lineup, malamang kape at gatas sa finals.

kawawang tagay at walk and text.
  • slickdevilslickdevil PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Out should be Jared and Gary.

In KG
  • akoginsaneakoginsane PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    jackk_cole wrote: »
    kung yan na ang lineup, malamang kape at gatas sa finals.

di ba kaya nga pinaikli ang next 2 conferences para pahinga muna ang pba habang naghahanda sa wc at during wc? o hindi ganun? in contention pa din ang tnt at ginebra kahit madami sa players nila ang nasa gilas.
  • dapat kunin si yancy.

pang-asar laro nun eh. nanakit tapos may tira sa labas.

kaso malamang di ibigay ng copymixers yun.

sasabihin nila, "kukunin na nga si ping eh"

:glee:

go san mig!!!
    go mixers!!

• akosidabakosidab PEx Rookie ⭐
    dapat kunin si yancy.

pang-asar laro nun eh. nanakit tapos may tira sa labas.

kaso malamang di ibigay ng copymixers yun.

sasabihin nila, "kukunin na nga si ping eh"

go san mig!!!
    go mixers!!

troll jackk_cole!!! Hahaha
  • out: bo belga, gary david, larry fonacier
    overstaying na mga to! :lol:

keep jimmy in the lineup. the man is cold-blooded. remember the last fiba-asia game against korea? he is a very reliable court general, still consistent from the outside, and will provide good leadership.
  • IshmaelMIshmaelM PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Good additions by Chot all of them with the possible exception of Lee are good defenders.

My first replacement from the first team is Gary David. Masyado syang maliit for an SG sa worlds. Ipapalit ko si Marcio. Taller and longer. Just as good a 3 pt shooter but way better a defender.

I dont think Blatche will be naturalized in time so I will get Greg and take out Larry. With Marcio there Larrys shooting wont be missed as much. Also Id like Chot to give Junemar one more chance. Its true that he cant be the roaming shot blocker that he wants in his system but he is probably the best player now in the PBA. He can more than make up for his deficiencies with his rebounding and strength in the post.

My third replacee would be LA with Paul Lee. He didnt really do well in Fiba Asia. He was too small to be effective in his drives. We can only afford one under size point guard. Paul Lee is a PG with good outside shooting and has some drving and fast break ability. Norwood and Dillinger are not natural PGs. We really need Lee to give sone height for our PG position.

I will still retain Norwood although his offensive deficiencied were highlighted in the Finals. He showed in Asia that he is our best defender.

On the fringe: Pingris. He might be too small to play PF and too slow to defend the SF position. Actually you can probably say the same for RDO. Washington should have been part of the pool. He wouldve been the best small ball PF and big SF. I hope he stays healthy this conf and shows Chot what he missed.
  • kimmingookimmingoo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Slaughter for Fajardo
    Dillinger for David
    Lee for Tenorio
    Lassiter for Fonacier

Castro/Alapag/Lee
    Lassiter/Chan
    Dillinger/ Norwood
    Blatche/Pingris/DeOcampo
    Slaughter / Aguilar
  • briefbrief Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Sorry huli ako sa balita but I thought inelegible si Lassiter? Does this mean the other Fil-Ams like Pringle, Standhardinger, Craft, et al. are also eligible?
  • great2findgreat2find PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    kung yan na ang lineup, malamang kape at gatas sa finals.

On the other hand for the case of Ginebra. Time for them to train and strengthen yung supporting cast members nila. Para di na lang asa ng asa lalo na sa twin towers. Eventually pwedeng mawala any of their main men like in a case of injury in the future. Tutal may import naman eh. tsaka para bumalik yung never-say-die attitude nila ba..
  • mrquick wrote: »
    nag-improve na nga siya after that (FIBA-Asia), ang ganda na nga ng nilalaro niya.

out:
    LA Tenorio
    G. David
    L. Fonacier
    J Alapag

in: (mukhang agree ako kay coach chot)
    Paul Lee/Mark Barroca
    Greg Slaughter
    Jarred Dillinger
    Marcio Lassiter

Same line-up as mine! Much bigger! Better defender! More slasher! Can play both defense and offense!
  • dfgvandfgvan PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

7 to complete the 24:
    1. Barocca
    2. Kung pwede si Lassiter dapat pwede na rin si Ryan Reyes
    3. Van Opstal
    4. Thoss
    5. Parks
    6. Alas
    7. Blatche

Who should be out?
    David, Tenorio, Lassiter
    Who should be in?
    Casio, Chua, Romeo/Garcia
  • ShoshinShoshin PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    28/02/2014

Philippines (PHI) - 2013 FIBA Asia Championship
    MANILA (FIBA Basketball World Cup) - Philippines coach Chot Reyes has decided on the pool of players he wants to consider for the country's FIBA Basketball World Cup squad.

The Philippines were recently drawn in Group B of the competition that will be held in Spain and their opponents will be, in order, Croatia, Greece, Argentina, Puerto Rico and Senegal.

All 12 members of the team that finished runners-up to Iran at last year's FIBA Asia Championship in Manila are in the pool, including naturalized big man Marcus Douthit.

The 2.10m center could face competition for his spot in the team, however, if Brooklyn Nets pivot Andray Blatche receives a passport.

Should the Philippines congress approve the American's application for citizenship, the official number of players in the pool will rise from 17 to 18.

Douthit led the team in scoring (11.9 points per game) and rebounding (9.4 rebounds per game) and also averaged a tournament-best 2.0 blocks per contest in Manila.

The 33-year-old native New Yorker got hurt in the team's Semi-Final triumph over Korea, however, and did not play in the Final against Iran, which the Philippines lost, 85-71.

His absence was especially felt on the boards because the Iranians out-rebounded the Philippines in that championship game, 51-34.

Blatche, 27, averages 11.7ppg and 5.6rpg for the Nets in the NBA.

The last cuts from the 2013 roster, Beau Belga and Greg Slaughter, are in the 2014 pool as well as Marcio Lassiter, Jared Dillinger and Paul Lee.

Lassiter and Dillinger have represented the Philippines before, with the the former featuring at the 2011 FIBA Asia Championship and the latter at the 2012 FIBA Asia Cup.

Dillinger suffered a hip injury in a car accident and wasn't able to play last year.

"I would like to acknowledge the team owners and the PBA (Philippines Basketball Association) Board of Governors for allowing me to name the players in the pool," Reyes said.

"I would like to thank the PBA for its continued partnership to the national team effort."

The player pool will also be used for the Asia Games, which are to be played in Korea (19 September-4 October) after the World Cup (30 August-14 September).

At the recent draw for the FIBA Basketball World Cup, Reyes looked ahead to the teams the Philippines would go up against.

"It is a tough group," he said to FIBA.

"We have no disillusions about our group. It is a very tough group.

"Everything is really going to be hard.

"And in my mind I had mentally prepared, psychologically, already to be up against very, very, very tough competition. We would absolutely love to get to the second round."

The Philippines last played at a FIBA World Championship when the tournament was held in their own country in 1978.
    kimmingoo wrote: »
    Slaughter for Fajardo
    are you kidding me?
    Gilas needs to go Big so I hope they get only two Point Guards and two Shooting Guards and then Two Versatile Small Forwards, then three Power Forwards and three Centers

PG - Jayson Castro/(LA Tenorio, Jimmy Alapag or Paul Lee)
    SG - Jeff Chan/Marcio Lassiter
    SF - Gabe Norwood/(Jared Dillinger or Larry Fonacier)
    PF - Ranidel De Ocampo/Marc Pingris/Japeth Aguilar
    C – (Marcus Douthit or Andray Blatche)/June Mar Fajardo/Greg Slaughter

Clear outs:
    Beau Belga
    Gary David