PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

The beautiful and/or the ugly

What is your concept of beauty? of ugliness?
Can something initially perceived as ugly be transformed into beautiful without that something changing its characteristics? or vice versa?

Comments

• KINSKYKINSKY Member PExer
    BEAUTY IS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER. UGLiNESS TOO... yES, IMO something initially perceived as ugly be transformed into beautiful w/o something changing its characteristics - para bang INNER-GLOW habang tinititigan mo ang isang bagay lalong gumaganda o lalong pumapangit.:)
  • WhirrledWhirrled Guess Who's Back? PExer
    Originally posted by tabachuchuy

Beauty - that which the will tends toward.
    Ugliness - that which the will moves away from.
    Originally posted by tabachuchuy
    Can something initially perceived as ugly be transformed into beautiful without that something changing its characteristics? or vice versa?

Yes. Since the will is dependent upon the input of reason, reason could provide additional information which could cause the shift from Beautiful to Ugly and vice versa.

:)
  • SorshaSorsha Fox Spirit PExer
    just wanted to share this quote from the movie The Truth About Cats and Dogs :

"Do you know how someone's appearance could change the longer you know them? How a really attractive person, if you don't like them can become more and more ugly...or someone you might not even have noticed that you wouldn't look at them once ... if you loved them, can become the most beautiful thing you've ever seen ... all you want to do is be near them..."
  • tabachuchuytabachuchuy live to eat PExer
    beautiful: the thing perceived is pleasing to the senses of the beholder.

ugly: the thing perceived is repulsive to the senses of the beholder.

there really is no absolute beautiful or absolute ugliness. we consider a certain thing beautiful not because the object has the qualities of being beautiful or ugly but because our minds supply categories that condition our senses to be selective & to determine which is pleasing or repulsive to us.

through all this, the object does not lose any quality but it changes only because the perceptions of the beholder change.

the opinions of Sorsha, Whirrled & KINSKY seem to agree on this.
    :cheers:
  • thehitmanthehitman The best there is PExer
    I agree, it's in the eye of the beerholder, este, beholder. The Ms. Universe is an example. I personally don't appreciate black beauties, but black women wouldn't join such a contest if they were not perceived to be beautiful. Somewhere, there are a lot of people who can appreciate black beauties and even prefer them over white and brown beauties. And this is only on the outside. :)
  • rampagerampage reinventing eve PExer
    TRUTH IS BEAUTY AND BEAUTY IS TRUTH.
    THAT'S ALL YOU KNOW ON EARTH
    AND ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

IM NOT SURE IF THATS IT EXACTLY- UM, HELP, JOHN KEATS FANS!- BUT THATS THE GIST OF IT.

OF COURSE, I AM SPEAKING OF BEAUTY THAT TRANSCENDS THE PHYSICAL. IF ITS JUST THE PHYSICAL MY TAKE ON THAT IS: B]MAY MGA TAONG PANGIT, MAY MGA TAONG MAGANDA. SORRY, PERO TOTOO YON.[/B] ITS THAT SIMPLE. WE CANT ALL BE RYAN PHILIPPES OR ANGELINA JOLIES- BUT WE CANT ALL BE CABBAGES EITHER.

NOW IN SO FAR AS THE MORE PROFOUND MEANING OF BEAUTY GOES- I FIND BEAUTY IN THINGS THAT ARE PURE, UNADULTERATED, UNDISTURBED- EVEN THINGS THAT ARE ACTUALLY UGLY CAN BE BEAUTIFUL. LIKE, A MUD SLICK CAN BE PRETTY... IF YOU HAVE THE IMAGINATION. AN OLD, WILTED LADY CAN BE PRETTY, IF YOU LOOK AT THE WISDOM OF HER YEARS AND NOT THE LINES ON HER FACE.

I OFTEN FIND MYSELF WATCHING UGLY THINGS WITH MORBID FASCINATION- LIKE THE DEATH OF A PREY IN THE HANDS OF THE PREDATOR. YOU DONT LOOK AT THE DEATH OR THE BLOODSHED- YOU LOOK AT THE STRUGGLE, AND IN THAT STRUGGLE YOU FIND THE BEAUTY OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE.
  • s|ates|ate Nobody's Man PExer

:::Ugliness is necessary for us to be able to see real beauty.

:::Two entirely different things. Although since beauty is relative, it is possible, say a person to be perceived as ugly by some people, and yet be seen as beautiful by some.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file