Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

marketing/brand failures and successes - why??

have you noticed a marketing effort, brand that seemed to have failed recently? or that appears to be succeeding? what do you think made it work? or made it fail? look at the whole marketing mix, the company and even the people doing the marketing... post here

nasasayangan lang ako sa ZAGU - impression i got was that this brand used to be the dominant brand in its category. but since the launch of other brands in the market, parang hindi na siya leader. its time for them to do some serious marketing

Comments

• remember sunlight detergent bar? it went up like a rocket, took leadership and as fast as it went up, it went down even faster. why did the brand fail?
  • Depends if you're hitting the right target market.
  • Whatever happened to Bravo Rum that was supposed to go up against Tanduay? I think it was launched by Danding a couple of years ago but it seems it doesn't make that much noise anymore.

What about the Nestle Yogurt Drink? Is it still in the shelves?

Carl's Jr. seems to be trying to compete in terms of noise with the other big burger fast food joints in the country.

One brand that has lost some steam since it's inception is the MBA games from ABS-CBN.

Vaseline Shampoo had a very successful launch but I'm not sure if they were able to sustain as they had problems with imitations being sold in the provinces.

The best marketing right now for me is for the movie Harry Potter. They have been able to create incredible hype for an above average product.

Peace.
  • isn't tanduay now owned by san miguel?

yogurt is an asian regional frustration and failure of nestle. i think its bec asians are lactose intolerant.

abs-cbn's MBA games though might not seem big in metro manila are big in the provinces. they kinda lost a step bec there were franchise problems a few years back.

a marketing success to me is starbucks! why do you think it has succeeded? you wouldnt think filipinos will buy a HOT drink in a country like ours at close to P100.00 a pop! cofee became the fad all of a sudden.
  • Kaboom! - we still have nestle yogurt drink at home, am pressuming they still manufacture. :)

Fit and Fresh - i loved drinking this one, and they were promoting like crazy in the different universities before but i don't know what happened.

since you mentioned Harry Potter, though it's not recent, i think the BlairWitch phenomenon is one of the best. (sorry if am not talking about a marketing flop)
  • Tanduay is the chief competitor of Genebra San Miguel (bottled and distilled by La Tondena) in the Hard Liquor Category. La Tondena had a rum called Anejo before but it also didn't fly. Tanduay is part of the group of companies owned by Lucio Tan which includes Asia Brewery (Beer na Beer, Budweiser, etc.)

Peace.
  • My two cents on some of the products mentioned here...

Zagu - it went the way of the lechon manok. There's just too many competitors offering a single product. And the ingredients are so easy to get. You could practically go to Quinta market in Quiapo and buy the ingredients and make your own pearl shake drink at home. That's why a lot of pearl shake rink stalls sprouted out of nowhere, and like the lechon manok business, almost all of them are gone, save for maybe 3 or 4 strong brand names. Although I doubt if they'll still be around next year. The only brands I see that will survive are Zagu and Orbitz. And ironically, the people behind these two brands were the same ones who started the craze last year in, where else, Zagu.

Bravo - Tanduay is very much a monopoly in the rum business here, much like Ginebra is in the gin business. What Bravo failed to do is to push the product into the public's awareness by doing the tried and tested formula of associating a well-known personality with the product, somebody who their target market can identify with. Beer na Beer was going nowhere while trying to compete with San Miguel Beer, but once they got hold of Eddie Garcia and Robin Padilla, who SMB dropped like a hot potato after he was sent to jail, their sales shot up. It also helped that both were well-known SMB endorsers before.
  • adboard (self-governing body of the ad industry) rules prohibit the use of ex-endorsers of competitive brands. meron atang time limit?

smc should complain to the adboard and they can have the BnB ads pulled off the air. (assuming the time limit still applies)
  • ADBOARD'S TIME LIMIT for endorsers before they could switch to another competitive brand is 2 years after the last airing of their last commercial.
  • No consistency....
    Originally posted by abcxyz
    remember sunlight detergent bar? it went up like a rocket, took leadership and as fast as it went up, it went down even faster. why did the brand fail?

Willowdan
  • have you seen these promo ads - Smart's "Text To Million" and Globe's "Too Txtcited to let go" print ads? Given the implementation of the significant reduction in free texts, these are damage control ads to a) ensure text usage does not go down dramatically (and pull down revenues dramatically too), b) "make amends" with their turned off subsctibers.
  • Originally posted by abcxyz
    yogurt is an asian regional frustration and failure of nestle. i think its bec asians are lactose intolerant.

Not so. Your marketing information is totally incorrect. Yogurt has a HUGE captive market in Japan and China. Aside from tea, a lot of people in China do drink milk and yogurt (and they are not lactose intolerant). Unfortunately, the yogurt that Nestle produces (in the Philippines) is below par from the "yummy" (and very nutritious, yes they have back-up claims!) yogurt being produced by other leading companies in these countries I mentioned. Besides, I haven't seen Nestle's yogurt in the shelves of supermarkets in these countries, so they are not competing in these markets. FYI.
  • Originally posted by hat_tr1ck

Zagu - That's why a lot of pearl shake rink stalls sprouted out of nowhere, and like the lechon manok business, almost all of them are gone, save for maybe 3 or 4 strong brand names. Although I doubt if they'll still be around next year. The only brands I see that will survive are Zagu and Orbitz. And ironically, the people behind these two brands were the same ones who started the craze last year in, where else, Zagu.

This analysis rings true. The owners of Quickly and Easyway in Taiwan, where it originated, admitted that their market is shrinking locally (in Taiwan, I mean) due to over-saturation of bubble tea shops. A lot of people rode into the bandwagon. They confirmed in a news report that they expect to expand overseas though, esp. in countries where there's a big concentration of Asians. That's where they foresee their business growth.
  • most regional marketers consider china and japan as separate "regional" markets unto themselves and divorced from the geographic asia. "asia" broadly used here is in geographic terms southeast asia, including taiwan and indonesia.
  • Originally posted by abcxyz
    most regional marketers consider china and japan as separate "regional" markets unto themselves and divorced from the geographic asia. "asia" broadly used here is in geographic terms southeast asia, including taiwan and indonesia.

Hmmm...wrong regional groupings.

Taiwan is classified under the "Greater China" market as with Hongkong, Macau and Mainland China.

Japan is considered a separate segment by itself.

Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore and all the ASEAN countries fall under the Southeast Asian regional grouping.

Middle East countries are another Asian segment.

These all comprises the Asian regional groupings. I should know. I used to work for our Asia-Pacific operations. Now I'm in my company's global operations. ;)

And yes, yougrt is very popular in Taiwan. Most girls in Taiwan do drink yogurt thinking it can make them reed thin (read: sexy in their language), but healthy! What a good way to position a product!

Just setting things straight, according to traditional market segmentation. Peace!
  • you are not the only one on a regional and global post.

the fact is companies have different ways of looking at the world and how to partition it. there is no one formula. practically each company has its own definition. for some companies - "greater china" include mainland china, hong kong, singapore and taiwan. one global company for example consider the philippines as 1 region unto itself. some include australia. factors that drive geographic groupings vary - factory location, office location, population size, distribution, asset location, r&d location, etc. etc. in my post, i defined what i meant.

what i posted was - yogurt is a NESTLE frustration. "frustration" can mean many things but i could not post it here in public for security reasons as it would reveal source of information which i cannot divulge. not refering to the whole yogurt market. danone in some parts of asia is larger than nestle in this regard. lotte to some degree is bigger in korea and japan. there are also a few more "local" and european brands that are a factor.

we can all be anal about it - but thats not the idea behind the posts. it is sharing and you take it or you leave it, in parts or as a whole. some posts are even dis-information, this is a public post and anything goes. i do not wish to appear like a guru or a know it all, or the desire to prove someone or somethig as "totally incorrect" and "wrong" and most specially on matters that are not "standard" or biblical. being right or wrong, totally, is less important than sharing

suck it up dude, get over it and move on ...
  • hey guys! what can you say about the mmg company? talkl about branding! they're like investing in everything from films to lennding companies to convenience stores. whats yoiur prediction for the company will it really be the only business needed in the years to come?
  • jopert havent heard of mmg. what does it stand for?

safeguard instant sanitizer what has happened to this brand/product? buhay pa ba? success or failure? is this brand anywhere else in asia?