Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Models

we models are very compensated. BUT, i am planning to have a sort of career change. see, i'm an Economics major grad, but 3 years ago, ang hirap humanap ng work and since i'm a member of the PMAP, i grabed their offer na agad. NOW, gustong gusto ko pa rin mag-work sa office, pero parang i've missed alot na. i've been thinking about this na eversince, kasi feeling ko, modelling is a temporary job. pano na lang pag tumaba na ako? pag one day, biglang feel na feel ko na kumain ng marami?

help naman guys, shall i study again? kahit yung mga certificate courses lang? what do you think?

thanks alot.

Comments

• pexpresspexpress PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    HI Isabel i guess there is no harm adding more skills to your resume. You mentioned taking certificate courses. Thats a good idea. But since you mentioned that you got a Economics degree, why not take up Masters Degree. Aim high. Im also in the same spot as you, Im at a crossroads at my career and I have many things on my mind.
  • Hi IsabelThatGirl! Wow! So you're a PMAP model huh? That's really cool. I've always wondered what it's like to be a model..you know...what it feels like to really walk down that runway. Guess it would be really cool.

Anyway, going to your dilemma, I think you already know what to do. Read your post again. You said, "NOW, gustong gusto ko pa rin mag-work sa office, pero parang i've missed alot na. i've been thinking about this na eversince, kasi feeling ko, modelling is a temporary job. pano na lang pag tumaba na ako? pag one day, biglang feel na feel ko na kumain ng marami? ".

Since you already know that modelling ain't a lifetime career (except for a number of people), why not continue studying. I agree with pexpress' suggestion that you take up a Master's Degree. As far as I see things, you've got nothing to lose. In fact, you'll be gaining more.

Continuing your education will also make you a good example to your fellow models and it'll help prove wrong the idea of "dumb models."

So go for it.

*okay*
  • I don't think the answer is going out and studying again. When I graduated from Economics 3 years ago I had no idea what the actual industry practice would be like (maybe it was the fact that Ateneo's Eco curriculum is hopelessly developmental).

I'd look for a job and try to get my feet wet in the industry -- in any capacity. Just read up a bit and make sure you know enough to sound competent in an interview. Persoanlly, I'd be interested in the business of technology and how it's transformed or redefined classical economics.

The sad thing is that the job market today is probably worse than what it was 3 years ago... and a lot of starting jobs in banking and finance locally are grossly underpaid.
  • i would agree with you that modelling sure is a temporary job. there are many out there who are a lot younger, a "lot prettier "(yeah, even male models are getting prettier than hell! prettier than women)and a "lot thinner" (yes, even male models are thinner than hell too) out there and no matter what one does...it will be imposible to get more projects.
    so go ahead and find a job too. thats what i am doing right now.a stable job and a modelling carrer as well.
    good luck.;) :) :cool:
  • What if you just start your own business? Something related to your job right now - modelling.. i think it's the best especially that you've already missed a lot.. :)
  • zimdudezimdude PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Put up a modeling agency?

Hmm I've always thought modeling was enviable coz you get paid for just looking good. Is that true?
  • hello.. you can always try applying sa PAL as flight attendant.. yun age of retirement nila is 50s (oo.. mga lola na) so it could be a life long job / career for you..

start looking for alternative jobs and business ops.. many models have ventured into RTWs or related biz, such as amanda is into swimwear. while others are into weddings, accessories, and other fashion related fields. (even make-ups, hair etc etc)

am not really a big fan of going back to school.. for me, the best school is the actually working environment.

any other "talents" you have?

:arcade:
  • isabel roces?
    hi boy crazy
    hi blowkiss baby still up?
    hi blowkiss...mm...just chillin and killing time...ikaw ?
  • Like pexpress wrote, take up a Masters Deg.

Good Luck!
  • hey guys!!!!!!! :)

sorry if it took me a while to go online again. been busy since december. alot of out-of-town shoots kasi eh.

i'd like to thank everyone for suggesting. thank you, thank you, thank you!

ohmy, i can't be a flight attendant, i've realized i still can't leave my modelling career, especially now that it's at its peak! but i'd like to try out coming up with a boutique or a modelling agency nga. alot of my friends did tell me to venture into something related to my current career. :)

again, thanks for all the help! :)
  • I think with the people that you know and with the new people you will meet in the future, you can do business with them. It is just a matter of earning extra money with the help of your friends, connections, relatives, etc. Just make sure its not crime related earnings. ;)
  • Originally posted by IsabelThatGirl

ohmy, i can't be a flight attendant, i've realized i still can't leave my modelling career, especially now that it's at its peak! but i'd like to try out coming up with a boutique or a modelling agency nga. alot of my friends did tell me to venture into something related to my current career. :)

well its always good to know something in the difference field. it all depends on what you do best. be PR or others.

were you at the jag's bounce? they used around 90 models for the fashion show.
  • ahockahock PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hi Isabael

Actually we have the same problem but in different scenario. Changing careers is a good idea but you really have to gamble a lot. Parang sugal yan eh. You dont know what you'll be on your chosen career. Madaming factors eh like you said you want to work na sa opis. What if hindi mo gusto ang working environment, I mean yung boss mo yung kasama mo yung benefits and trainings that you deserve. What I do suggest is if your still very much happy sa present work mo then go for it BUT you still find ways to improve yourself. Dont be stagnant. You're right modelling is just temporary thats why you still need to improve. Kung kaya mo why not study short courses which you feel na magagamit mo sa future mo na when you are decided na to quit modelling. Be very very careful. You are still young and energetic kaya ganyan ang thnking mo. Sabi nga pag bata mapusok ang pagiisip:D . Tingnan mo ang mga actibista peace:)

Hope this will help you