Home PEx Sports PBA

Prime James Yap vs. Prime Vergel Meneses

Who was the better player??

meneses.jpg

james-yap-free-throws.jpg

Comments

• outmapoutmap PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    This one is easy, Vergel Meneses. Just a superb all around player, scoring, rebounding, passing, defense. The scary part was that IMHO, he didn't play his full potential; napabayaan nya ang sarili nya physically. (and this is coming from a SMCM supporter)
  • friendz07friendz07 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Vergel hands down! Just like MC47 said Vergel is the MJ of the PBA!
  • mas gusto ko laro ni Meneses kay Idol James. Kasi he's a better all around player, and he's also more efficient.

Magaling din naman si Yap kaso si vergel eh yung last player yata who led the locals in scoring and assists per game nung mid 1990's.
  • jazzperjazzper PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Meneses by a mile.
  • sabi nga ni coach Ron Jacobs: He was the most talented player to ever player in the league."

Watch ninyo yung special features kay Aerial Voyager.

kaya pala number 18 ang jersey number ni Man with a Million Moves eh favorite player niya si Meneses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzXEkWp8Ov4

Top 10 plays in the 1994 PBA Season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8kmI8HWOAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkOloK2UeI
  • TTLTTL PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Meneses. di nagrereklamo o umaarte pag napipisikal sa laro. :glee:
  • sizzlingsizzling PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    SamboyLim9 wrote: »

Vergel was the better player, but in this thread's "match-up", James has the better photo :D
  • sizzling wrote: »
    Vergel was the better player, but in this thread's "match-up", James has the better photo :D

lol. ayaw mo ng nakakakiliting bigote ni vergel?

meneses din ako. mas all around sya. saka si james kasi parang volume shooter eh
    Meneses for me is the best one on one player ever in the pba.
  • barubal08barubal08 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Pero mas magaling pa din sumipa yung prime James Yap.
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I'll go with James Yap. He is a more clutch player and I can say has longer range than Vergel. The Aerial Voyager had other gifts that James don't have such as passing and court vision as he can play PG or Point Forward. Both aren't good defensive players. But with the game on the line I'd put my money on James. Vergel was also clutch and can create shots but Yap's range is his advantage. Vergel on the otherhand had more moves and is a better shot maker. But my yardstick here is on who I'll give the ball to in a crucial point and that makes me choose James. Thats just me. I know this is a very tough matchup.
  • Speaking of Vergel Meneses. He turned 45 yrs.old today, and siya yata yung meron pinakaastig na shoes nung dekada 90's.

Reebok Blast (Nick Van Excel Shoes)

350x700px-LL-f1a154ee_reebokblast.jpeg
  • I'll go with James Yap. He is a more clutch player and I can say has longer range than Vergel. The Aerial Voyager had other gifts that James don't have such as passing and court vision as he can play PG or Point Forward. Both aren't good defensive players. But with the game on the line I'd put my money on James. Vergel was also clutch and can create shots but Yap's range is his advantage. Vergel on the otherhand had more moves and is a better shot maker. But my yardstick here is on who I'll give the ball to in a crucial point and that makes me choose James. Thats just me. I know this is a very tough matchup.

Clutch din naman si Vergel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjfMI8XlSsA
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    SamboyLim9 wrote: »
    Speaking of Vergel Meneses. He turned 45 yrs.old today, and siya yata yung meron pinakaastig na shoes nung dekada 90's.

Reebok Blast (Nick Van Excel Shoes)

http://cdn.niketalk.com/f/f1/350x700px-LL-f1a154ee_reebokblast.jpeg

Yup I remember that. Astig. Ang isa ko pang gusto yung kay Bal David. Reebok din ata yun. Yun parang pabilog ang design.

Patrimonio naman used to wear Jordan XII shoes. 1997 season ata yun. Marlou Aquino naman yung Jordan XI, also kay Paul Alvarez.
  • cotton_oncotton_on PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Vergel ako.

speaking of Vergel's shoes, yung 90s talaga nakipagsabayan yung Reebok when it comes to basketball shoes, as shown above. sayang wala nang reebook for basketball (except for those worn by Cagiuoa.)
  • popskypopsky PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Vergel.

Partida, ayun sa mga nakakasama ni Vergel, isang long neck at isang case ng beer ang kaya nito lagukin at kinabukasan umiupo sa ere sa oras ng laro.

Pero mas clutch player nga si James.
  • prime vergel meneses vs prime james yap?

hayz, I'd have to go with james yap on this one.

naglaro si meneses sa era na bawal ang zone defense so kitang kita talaga ang one on one ability nya pero mas mahirap ginawa ni yap kasi allowed na ang zone defense.
  • vergel

better and smoother offense, better court vision. better efficiency.

better booze! :lol:
  • popsky wrote: »
    Vergel.

Partida, ayun sa mga nakakasama ni Vergel, isang long neck at isang case ng beer ang kaya nito lagukin at kinabukasan umiupo sa ere sa oras ng laro.

Pero mas clutch player nga si James.

may stats ba ng clutch shot-making ni james yap? ang daming kong nakikitang sablay nito during crunch time especially when the ball was trusted to him during crucial plays. eventually, he'll make some of those shots sa dami ba naman ng tira e. law of averages. and he's a volume shooter.

parang kobe-lebron lang to during clutch moments. kobe is more of a perception as a better clutch player than lebron when the latter actually has the better stats and FG percentage.

POLL: NBA Players Pick Jordan Or Kobe Over LeBron For Final Shot

from ESPN Stats & Information...
    James actually is a better shooter from the field than Bryant on game-tying or go-ahead field goals in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime of postseason games. He checks in at 41.2 percent (7-for-17), while Bryant is at 25 percent (7-for-28). Jordan rules that stat, though, at 50 percent (9-for-18).

summary:
    Jordan - 9-for-18 (50%)
    Lebron - 7-for-17 (41.2%)
    Kobe - 7-for-28 (25%)
    I'll go with James Yap. He is a more clutch player and I can say has longer range than Vergel. The Aerial Voyager had other gifts that James don't have such as passing and court vision as he can play PG or Point Forward. Both aren't good defensive players. But with the game on the line I'd put my money on James. Vergel was also clutch and can create shots but Yap's range is his advantage. Vergel on the otherhand had more moves and is a better shot maker. But my yardstick here is on who I'll give the ball to in a crucial point and that makes me choose James. Thats just me. I know this is a very tough matchup.

What? Meneses not a clutch player and has no long range bomb? I've seen lots of Meneses game and he did some clutch baskets beyond the arc that made them won. It so happen that he is not known as long range shooter unlike Yap but when the game is on the line, he proved that he is capable of doing it also. He more known as a slasher and a one on one player but given and inch of space from the perimeter and he will give you a dagger. Everytime his team if fighting nail to nail, he is their go to guy just like Yap, but I'm more confident with Vergel than James taking those shot, because you already anticipated what James Yap will do when he has the ball, while with Meneses, you can't read his mind. He will either attack you which is his bread and butter or he will take fade away jumper just like james wherein he is also good. To summarize, it's better to give the ball to Meneses rather than James to take that last shot because Meneses can do variety of moves and plays rather than James. Oh before I forget, Meneses is also a good passer that makes him tough to guard because sometimes when he attacks, he makes himself as decoy when the defense clog on him and all of a sudden pass it to the open teammate.