Home PEx Sports PBA

Better Rookie: James Forrester or Isaac Holstein

aseroasero PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
They say this 2013 PBA draft is one of the richest and deepest in recent years. As evidenced by a lot of team trying to move up the picking order to get potential talents.
Last season's 4th pick is Cliff Hodge while 7th pick is Chris Tiu, this season meanwhile gives us Forrester and Holstein. Which of these two is really a better player, which have bigger potential?

James Forrester - 4th pick
5 games: 5.00mpg, 1.5ppg, 0.83 rpg, 0.00 apg, 0.17 spg, 0.17 bpg

Isaac Holstein - 7th pick
7 games: 5.71 mpg, 1.29ppg, 1.14rpg, 0.29apg, 000 spg, 0.00 bpg

Comments

• tambayan101tambayan101 Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    These rookies were supposed to land for Alaska and RoS, respectively. Too bad for them they landed on the wrong team. The loss of holstein is a gain for nuyles.
  • tsk_tsktsk_tsk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    asero wrote: »
    They say this 2013 PBA draft is one of the richest and deepest in recent years. As evidenced by a lot of team trying to move up the picking order to get potential talents.
    Last season's 4th pick is Cliff Hodge while 7th pick is Chris Tiu, this season meanwhile gives us Forrester and Holstein. Which of these two is really a better player, which have bigger potential?

comparison tittle should be, worst first rounder rokies: forrester or holstein :rotflmao:

panu kaya kung nung 9th pick ng ros available pa si holstein, sinu kaya ang pipiliin ni coach yeng between holstein and nuyles, talent or needs?
  • real13fast13real13fast13 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    tsk_tsk wrote: »
    comparison tittle should be, worst first rounder rokies: forrester or holstein :rotflmao:

panu kaya kung nung 9th pick ng ros available pa si holstein, sinu kaya ang pipiliin ni coach yeng between holstein and nuyles, talent or needs?

wala lang enough playing minutes yung dalawang yan.. unlike yung iba na first rounder na kasabayan nila may playing mins.

regarding kay nuyles tingin ko nasa radar na talaga ni coach yeng yan.. kahit available pa si holstein nun.. Nuyles pa pipiliin nya..
  • KG21KG21 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sayang ang mga talent nila, walang playing time!
  • sydrifiedsydrified PEx Rookie ⭐
    i still think james forrester was drafted too high. it's like when rey guevarra was drafted third behind baclao and al-hussaini even if sean anthony, john wilson, and rj jazul were still available. the problem of forrester is not his talents - but rather coping with the fact that he will never have the same respect he got when he played for the arellano chiefs. the same case happened with chester tolomia and jimbo aquino as both guys struggled in situations where they are not the focal point of the offense and had to do things that weren't part of their everyday repertoire.

and it's not as if this is the first time this has ever happened. we have seen a lot of SG/SFs whose confidence were shot and destroyed the moment they found their selves playing second fiddle for mark caguioa. the only reason why caguioa is getting a lot of minutes sitting on their bench now is because for the first time since the healthy eric menk era, ginebra is led by their frontline. before them though caguioa would either intimidate the newbies or outplay them in practice.

if dylan ababou is getting buried and josh urbiztondo and eman monfort are contending for la tenorio's scrap minutes, what more for a player like forrester?

as for holstein, we have seen this treatment before. thoss had this treatment a decade ago and if he can do what thoss did and veer away from what burtscher did, then something good will happen to his future but this is if he can get a semblance of a situation with san mig coffee's assortment of bigs. tim cone would rather use a tight rotation than giving all of his players the time to shine. holstein in some ways is like the lesser "petron version" of jason deutchman's playing time and i don't think he'll do anything unless he acts like eloy poligrates and play beyond expectations (the guy is a third round pickup for crying out loud).

in terms of being a better rookie - holstein.
  • torchie82torchie82 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Paramihan na lang ng tattoo. :)
  • tambayan101tambayan101 Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    My read is that forrester and holstein were drafted so as not to land in alaska ang ros, respectively. Di naman sila kelangan ng kanilang teams. Too bad for them, they have to wait for a year or years before they will land on the right team. Worse baka matabunan na sila ng mga paparating na rookies.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    My read is that forrester and holstein were drafted so as not to land in alaska ang ros, respectively. Di naman sila kelangan ng kanilang teams. Too bad for them, they have to wait for a year or years before they will land on the right team. Worse baka matabunan na sila ng mga paparating na rookies.

Same here. It was more of a strategic move to counteract the opportunities that will present to the competition. Holstein and Forrester have no place with their respective teams - Cone couldn' even find a spot for last year's pick, Gian Chiu. On the other hand, if Dylan Ababou (and Allein Maliksi before him) couldn't find playing time at Ginebra, what more Forrester?

However, draft these two guys early and avoid Forrester from joining Alaska and Holstein at ROS would mean minimizing the strengths of your opponents. Forrester would have been an ideal backup and future replacement for Cyrus Baguio while Holstein would have probably developed his center skills under Yeng Guiao with the able support of Extra Rice, Inc. Having Sangalang and Holstein at ROS would potentially form a fearsome twin tower combo that could somehow mitigate the strength of the SMC teams.
  • jazzperjazzper PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    These rookies were supposed to land for Alaska and RoS, respectively. Too bad for them they landed on the wrong team. The loss of holstein is a gain for nuyles.

I agree. What if Forrester or Holstein landed in teams who really need them? It so happen that they are both "project player' in their respective team. Their position is somewhat crowded or shall we say the starter/s of that position is having a huge PT every game. In short, this two players are not needed by their team for now. They were acquired for future and not today. It's really tough for this two rookies to provide an immediate impact in their team.
  • briefbrief Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    jazzper wrote: »
    I agree. What if Forrester or Holstein landed in teams who really need them? It so happen that they are both "project player' in their respective team. Their position is somewhat crowded or shall we say the starter/s of that position is having a huge PT every game. In short, this two players are not needed by their team for now. They were acquired for future and not today. It's really tough for this two rookies to provide an immediate impact in their team.

TBH, I still don't see them producing. Forrester is undersized and his athleticism can't make up for his lack of height. Holstein is a project and probably will be one of those guys who will always be known as a project.

I project Holstein to be a role player at best. For Forrester, I think he could be a go-to-guy for lesser teams (ie. Air 21, Barako Bull). If he will be playing for a contender, he could have a Simon type of role.
  • tsk_tsktsk_tsk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Same here. It was more of a strategic move to counteract the opportunities that will present to the competition. Holstein and Forrester have no place with their respective teams - Cone couldn' even find a spot for last year's pick, Gian Chiu. On the other hand, if Dylan Ababou (and Allein Maliksi before him) couldn't find playing time at Ginebra, what more Forrester?

However, draft these two guys early and avoid Forrester from joining Alaska and Holstein at ROS would mean minimizing the strengths of your opponents. Forrester would have been an ideal backup and future replacement for Cyrus Baguio while Holstein would have probably developed his center skills under Yeng Guiao with the able support of Extra Rice, Inc. Having Sangalang and Holstein at ROS would potentially form a fearsome twin tower combo that could somehow mitigate the strength of the SMC teams.

kaya panira talaga ng carrer tong SMC. ganito din ang ginawa nila kay emman samigue, babanoin muna ang isang player bago pakawalan.
  • One word. GREED
    Cojuangco's are Marcos cronies. What do you expect?

Remember they have changed their name to Petron just to stop Phoenix from entering the league? Now that its is back SanMiguel. let us see what will happen next.
    Chito salud, being the former Petron board member is expected to approve all trades in favour of SMC teams.

tsk_tsk wrote: »
    kaya panira talaga ng carrer tong SMC. ganito din ang ginawa nila kay emman samigue, babanoin muna ang isang player bago pakawalan.
  • brief wrote: »
    TBH, I still don't see them producing. Forrester is undersized and his athleticism can't make up for his lack of height. Holstein is a project and probably will be one of those guys who will always be known as a project.

I project Holstein to be a role player at best. For Forrester, I think he could be a go-to-guy for lesser teams (ie. Air 21, Barako Bull). If he will be playing for a contender, he could have a Simon type of role.

Lol, :lol: Forrester is 6'2 at best with shoes on and is bigger than most SG's in the league like Caguioa,Baguio's of PBA he has a PBA ready body but imo he was just drafted a year too late, If he had entered a year early kasabayan nila Ellis i would think he would flourished more in some low tier Teams like A21, GPBP & BB, also being with the wrong Team puts him in an uncomfortable situation where he is needed to produce instantly providing him with limited minutes that's 1 of the hardest thing to do as a rookie.
    Noctiz wrote: »
    Lol, :lol: Forrester is 6'2 at best with shoes on and is bigger than most SG's in the league like Caguioa,Baguio's of PBA he has a PBA ready body but imo he was just drafted a year too late, If he had entered a year early kasabayan nila Ellis i would think he would flourished more in some low tier Teams like A21, GPBP & BB, also being with the wrong Team puts him in an uncomfortable situation where he is needed to produce instantly providing him with limited minutes that's 1 of the hardest thing to do as a rookie.

The thing about Forrester is that he is a jack-of-all trades but a master of none. He doesn't excel in any skill for now so he heavily relies on his athleticism. Hindi puwede ang ganyan if my kaliitan ka for your position. Caguioa has an excellent perimeter game while Baguio is great slasher. Malas pa niya na he ended up in a team like Ginebra who's stocked at that position.

And if you read my whole post, I also said that he could flourish for lesser teams. I
  • Maunti lang kasi ang teams sa PBA di bale sana kung at least mga 14 teams para yung ibang players eh magkaroon ng playing time.

Kita mo nga sina Denok Miranda and Joseph yeo are averaging in double figures nung nawala sila sa Petron.
  • asero wrote: »

It would really be unfair to assess both of them because of the lack of opportunity and playing time. If they were averaging say at least around 15mins per game then maybe..

:winky:
  • brief wrote: »
    The thing about Forrester is that he is a jack-of-all trades but a master of none. He doesn't excel in any skill for now so he heavily relies on his athleticism. Hindi puwede ang ganyan if my kaliitan ka for your position. Caguioa has an excellent perimeter game while Baguio is great slasher. Malas pa niya na he ended up in a team like Ginebra who's stocked at that position.

And if you read my whole post, I also said that he could flourish for lesser teams. I

Yeah, that's why i only highlighted the words that i wanted to reply on, i'm just saying that he is not undersized, and is not lacking in height like what you said :lol: and also i don't think his height has anything to do with his athleticism being limited negatively, imo he's just not getting the right break where he could excel and show his stuff. And again he is not short for his position :lol:
    Noctiz wrote: »
    Yeah, that's why i only highlighted the words that i wanted to reply on, i'm just saying that he is not undersized, and is not lacking in height like what you said :lol: and also i don't think his height has anything to do with his athleticism being limited negatively, imo he's just not getting the right break where he could excel and show his stuff. And again he is not short for his position :lol:

Okay, I stand corrected. But with his play style and skill set, it would be better if he were an inch or two taller... say just like Chris Ellis' height.
  • Finding Forrester

The guy should find another team. :socool:
  • Forrester has future in the PBA. Just need to wait for his break!