Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

2014 Australian Open

mykel14mykel14 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Welcome to the first Grand Slam of the year!

Comments

• mykel14mykel14 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Date: 13–26 January
    Edition: 102nd
    Category: Grand Slam (ITF)
    Surface: Hardcourt (Plexicushion)
    Venue: Melbourne Park

Defending Champions:

Men's Singles: Novak Djokovic
    Women's Singles: Victoria Azarenka
    Men's Doubles: Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan
    Women's Doubles: Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci
    Mixed Doubles: Garmila Gajdosova and Matthew Ebden
    2013 Australian Open - PEx Fantasy League: mrazmaniac
    Petrova withdraws from Australia after death of mother

Maria Kirilenko also withdraws citing injury
  • maysapawmaysapaw Australian Open 2020 Participant 🎾
    woot woot! tennis season na!

Mykel, ikaw ang maghohost ng 2014 Aussie Open? :bungi:
  • QuincyHernandezQuincyHernandez Meaner Than Demons PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Fantasy League Season Again! :D

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

312798o.jpg

from Quidditch Training Ground to School Library (Arts and Literature)[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    maysapaw wrote: »
    woot woot! tennis season na!

Mykel, ikaw ang maghohost ng 2014 Aussie Open? :bungi:

No, si Expelliarmus_27 ulit. :D

Balita ko magsponsor ka daw. :D :glee:
  • maysapawmaysapaw Australian Open 2020 Participant 🎾
    mykel14 wrote: »

Balita ko magsponsor ka daw. :D :glee:

IKrsnZ4.gif
  • Expelliarmus_27Expelliarmus_27 Moderator PEx Moderator
    This is it :bounce:
    With less than a month before the start of the Australian Open 2014, Minister for Sport and Recreation Hugh Delahunty joined Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley for the first hit on the new look Margaret Court Arena (MCA).

“Margaret Court Arena hosts the world’s best tennis players and is a venue where the fans love to watch matches,” Mr Delahunty said.

“The upgrade of Margaret Court Arena is part of the first stage of the redevelopment of Melbourne Park, which will result in improved facilities for spectators and players at the Australian Open.

“While the arena is still under construction, it is a great achievement that we have been able to make it available to Tennis Australia to use for the upcoming Australian Open.

“The current redevelopment ensures Margaret Court Arena remains a centrepiece of our sports capital and an integral part of the traditions of this great tennis tournament.”
  • uchiha madarauchiha madara PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Kelan start ng fantasy game sa AO??? Hehe
  • pwede na ba akong sumali? :D
    pasalihin niyo na ako hahaha :))

ako naman nanalo ng US Open eh. de joke lang haha pero pasalihin niyo na ako hahaha
    0,,12781~12500520,00.jpg

Ana Ivanovic won her first WTA title in more than two years on Saturday, edging Venus Williams in an absolute dream final between former World No.1s at the ASB Classic.

Despite being ranked and seeded higher, Ivanovic came into the final with a disadvantage - Williams had won eight of their nine previous meetings. But Ivanovic got a far better start, winning five games in a row en route to the first set and eventually finding herself a game away from the title at 62 53.

Ivanovic even had match point in that game - but Williams has seven Grand Slams to her name for a reason, and she clawed her way back into it, reeling off four games in a row to sneak the set, 7-5.

But the most critical juncture of the match happened right then and there as Ivanovic broke at love in the first game of the third set, and despite facing break point in her next two service games never let that advantage go. The two held the rest of the way until the No.2-seeded Serb won, 62 57 64.

"It's amazing," Ivanovic said. "Coming into this week I didn't really have any expectations. I didn't even think about making the finals or winning it. I just tried my best, and I felt very comfortable here.

"Today was a great match. Venus is always very tough - she's a great champion and showed that again today. I'm just happy that after losing that second set I managed to stay calm and close it out."

"Today for me it was all about fighting, because I didn't feel I was playing my best," Williams said. "I fought as hard as I could no matter what the score was, but I just ran into a better player today."

The triumph gave Ivanovic the 12th WTA title of her career, and her first since winning the Tournament Of Champions at the end of the 2011 season when it was held in Bali. She is now 12-5 in WTA finals.

"Every victory is special, this one even more so because it's been a while since I've won a tournament," Ivanovic said. "I've worked really hard for this and many times I've been in a position to win another title, so to come through in a final like this against such a good player is obviously a great feeling."

Williams was playing in the 72nd WTA final of her career and now has a 44-28 record in those.
    0,,12781~12500775,00.jpg

With sharp play at the tail end of each set, Li Na scored the first successful WTA title defense of her career, edging Peng Shuai in an all-Chinese final at the Shenzhen Open.

For most of the match Li was in the driver's seat - from 3-4 in the first set she won seven of the next eight games to build a 64 41 lead. The No.5-seeded Peng made a big push from there, reeling off four games in a row to lead 5-4 in the second set, but the No.1-seeded Li hung on, sneaking out three long games of her own to close the match out in straight sets after an hour and 49 minutes, 64 75.

Li collected the eighth WTA title of her career, and first since winning this same tournament last year.

"I'm very happy to be able to defend my title for the first time," Li said afterwards. "I'm also very happy because I proved I could do it - everything is really moving forward in the right direction.

"After this tournament I'm going to Melbourne to prepare for the Australian Open."

And though she won her first Grand Slam title at the French Open, the Australian Open may be an even better tournament for the World No.3 - she has reached the semifinals or better there three times and has more wins at that major than any of the majors (27 - she has 20, 17 and 17 at the other three).

And there was another special thing about this victory for Li - almost eight years ago she came out on the losing end of the first all-Chinese WTA final, having to retire against Zheng Jie in the final of Oeiras in 2006 due to heat illness. Now, in the second all-Chinese WTA final, she came out a winner.

Peng was looking for the elusive first WTA title of her career. She is now 0-6 in WTA finals.

- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3603513/title/li-wins-all-chinese-final-in-shenzhen#sthash.TdBfxw5l.dpuf
    0,,12781~12501427,00.jpg

Serena Williams picked up right where she left off in 2013 in her first tournament of 2014, winning the 58th WTA title of her illustrious career at the Brisbane International.

Watch highlights, interviews and much more video from Brisbane right here on wtatennis.com!

In an absolute dream final between the Top 2 players in the world, the No.1-ranked Williams squared off against No.2-ranked Victoria Azarenka, and from the beginning Williams was in control - she had almost five times as many winners as Azarenka in the first set (14 to 3) and also stepped up when it really counted, converting on the only break point in the entire set. She would take the set, 6-4.

The second set was streakier - Williams stormed out to a 2-0 lead, Azarenka ran off four games in a row to lead 4-2, then Williams caught up again. Eventually the pair fell into a holding pattern until Williams broke one last time for 6-5, then she calmly served the match out to prevail, 64 75.

"I want to congratulate Serena on a great week and a great match today," Azarenka said at the on-court trophy presentation. "I always enjoy playing you and I hope to meet you again in Melbourne.

"Since my first year here I've had such good memories and I'll take some from this year too."

Williams was then given her trophy and took the microphone. "I want to congratulate Vika for being a great player and a great champion, and just someone I enjoy playing against and seeing around," Williams said. "And I hope we do play in Melbourne because that would mean we would make it far.

"I would also like to thank the crowd here in Brisbane for always being so supportive."

"We love you Serena!" a fan yelled out.

"I love you back!" she replied.

Williams now has 58 WTA titles to her name. She is still No.7 on the all-time leaders for WTA titles, following Martina Navratilova (who leads the all-time list with 167 WTA titles), Chris Evert (154), Steffi Graf (107), Margaret Court (92), Evonne Goolagong Cawley (68) and Billie Jean King (67).

Williams will now go into the Australian Open having won 22 matches in a row since falling to Azarenka in the finals of Cincinnati - but another streak, Azarenka's 24 wins in a row in Australia, came to an end.

- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3603642/title/serena-outdoes-azarenka-in-brisbane#sthash.Ge0C4ZyI.dpuf
    0FC2267D48C34776AD662E0AB9D42C27.ashx

Top seed Roger Federer and Australian Lleyton Hewitt added another chapter to their rivalry at the final of the Brisbane International presented by Suncorp on Sunday. Hewitt topped Federer 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, earning his his first ATP World Tour title since the 2010 event in Halle.

"Playing the best players in the world and finals of tournaments, always it's exciting. That's why you still play the game," said Hewitt. "For me, it was motivation enough just to try to get the win out there and obviously win another title. It's been a couple years. So I was just ready for the challenge today.

"It means a lot with the calibre of players here as well in this tournament. It's not an easy tournament to win. I wasn't one of the top four seeds, so I had to win all five matches to get through. There are pleasing parts and massive positives to take out of it."

Hewitt took the first set 6-1 over Federer, breaking the Swiss three times in 27 minutes while the Swiss superstar committed 22 errors.

Federer fought back in the second set, securing the lone break in the ninth game. The 17-time Grand Slam champion held his serve to even the match at one set all in 49 minutes.

The tenacious Hewitt, playing in his 45th career final and his first on home soil since the 2005 Australian Open, bounced back in the third set, breaking Federer in the fourth game to go 3-1. Hewitt saved all seven break points he faced in that set, leading to him hoisting his 29th tour-level title in two hours and seven minutes.

"I played great obviously at the start, really well," said Hewitt. "It took Roger a little bit of time to get into the match. Then I just had to fight hard at the start of the third set."

Federer’s serve had not been broken during the tournament so far – the 32 year old had saved all eight break points that he encountered until Sunday’s final.

"[I feel] pretty good, especially having played all the matches I have here now with the doubles in particular," said Federer. "It's a good thing.

"I didn't play great today which is a bit unfortunate. But also Lleyton was the best player I played this week. He made it toughest on me. So I have a clear idea what I need to work on, and I have a clear idea where my mind and body is at. I'm very hungry and eager to attack the Australian Open next week."

Both players were vying for a maiden Brisbane title during this 27th meeting in their Fedex ATP Head2Head Series. Federer entered Sunday’s final leading 18-8 and had lost just once in his last 17 meetings against Hewitt. Their last meeting on Australian soil came in 2011 when Australia entertained Switzerland on grass in the Davis Cup World Group play-off, with Federer prevailing in four sets.

Sunday’s victory marked Hewitt’s first win over a Top 10 opponent in an ATP World Tour Final since facing Federer in the 2010 Halle tournament. This was also the 32 year old’s first appearance in a final on home soil since the 2005 Australian Open.

Hewitt was one of three Australians – including Marinko Matosevic and Samuel Groth – to reach the quarter-finals in Brisbane. This marked the first time since 2004 that three Australians reached the final eight at an ATP World Tour event. That year, Hewitt, Mark Philippoussis and Todd Reid all reached the Sydney quarter-finals.
    90BB5906B90443A29511CFF46A272C89.ashx

Rafael Nadal crafted an impressive performance in Saturday’s final of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open, opening his 2014 campaign with his 61st career title on the ATP World Tour. The Spaniard needed three sets and just under two hours to claim victory over a resilient Gael Monfils, clinching his maiden Doha title in his sixth trip to the desert metropolis. Nadal won 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-2.

Discuss on Facebook

With former World No. 1 Mats Wilander and 2002 Doha champion Younes El Aynaoui looking on, the Spaniard captured his first title of the young season, passing Andre Agassi for sole ownership of the eighth spot in the list of most Open Era titles on the ATP World Tour. The 2010 runner-up also claimed sole possession of the 13th position in the all-time ATP World Tour match wins list with 663 victories, supplanting Michael Chang.

Nadal, who has now won titles in 17 different countries, said, "Every victory is important and the title today means a lot to me. It is the first time in my career that I am able to start the season with a victory. That's always important."

In an intriguing clash of athleticism and blistering shotmaking, Nadal was forced to weather the storm after Monfils fought back from an early deficit. The World No. 1 sprinted to a resounding 5-0 lead in the first set and the rout appeared to be on. Monfils’ intensity increased early in the second set, however, breaking for a 3-0 lead and eventually forcing a decider after hammering an ace on his third set point in a tie-break. The Frenchman found a consistent rhythm on serve and used his superior agility to open the court and strike sensational angles off both wings.

"Rafa put pressure on me from the first point," said Monfils. "He was very aggressive from the first game and it was tougher for me to adjust. [In the second set] I tried to play with more power and stronger."

Nadal would not be deterred, replying with a break of serve in the fourth game of the third set and savingNadal, Monfils four break points from down 0/40 a game later. The Mallorca native made adjustments in his return position as the match wore on, retreating further behind the baseline to negate Monfils’ power. Monfils would commit 43 unforced errors for the match despite firing 13 aces, as Nadal converted on his second match point for the victory.

"At the end, it's still Rafa. Rafa is strong, hitting hard the ball," Monfils added. "It's always tough to play against him and at the end he was a bit better than me today...I will still work hard and I will be confident the first day in Australia."

With Novak Djokovic opting not to play this week, Nadal further built on his lead at No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, adding 250 points as well as $188,600 in prize money.

"The important thing today is I played with high intensity on my legs going for the ball, playing more inside, having more control of the point, playing from inside the line and changing directions much better with the forehand," Nadal said. "I think I played very well with my backhand today without many mistakes, trying to play to the open court."

Monfils was unable rediscover the magic from two previous wins over Nadal in Doha, in 2009 and 2012, dropping to 2-9 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head with the defeat. Nadal also halted a potential three-peat of French champions in Doha, with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga triumphing in 2012 and Richard Gasquet claiming victory last year.

Three of Monfils’ 20 career finals have come in the Qatari capital, having finished runner-up to Roger Federer in 2006 and countryman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in 2012. The World No. 31 was bidding for a fifth title and first since prevailing in Stockholm in 2011. He fell to 0-8 in title bouts against Top 10 opposition and 0-16 when dropping the first set.
    729_hopman-cup-620x349.jpg

FRANCE has claimed its first Hopman Cup title with a 2-1 victory over Poland in the final.

The deciding mixed doubles was somewhat of an anti-climax though, with Jo-Wilfred Tsonga and Alize Cornet beating Grzegorz Panfil and Agnieszka Radwanska 6-0 6-2 at Perth Arena.

After the men's and women's singles games, so much more was expected.
    Earlier, world number 288 Panfil surprised most of the 10,005 tennis fans at Perth Arena when he took a set from world number 10 Tsonga. However, the Frenchman still won 6-3 3-6 6-3.

He could have made things so much easier on himself, having converted just two of 15 break points for the match - and none from seven in the second set that he lost.

Cornet, ranked 27 in the world, also pushed world number 5 Radwanska to three sets.

The women's clash was the best of the tournament though.

After Radwanska won the first set comfortably and although she failed to convert one of five break points to go 4-3 up, she looked control in the second.

But as Cornet had done so many times over the 26th Hopman Cup, she dug in and found a way to draw level.

Radwanska served for the match at 5-4 and even earned a point to claim the victory.

However, Cornet finally converted a break point, her seventh for the game, to draw level at 5-5.

The French woman also overcame a time violation from umpire James Keothavong after she was struggling to breathe at the end of a point that included 35 shots.

Although Cornet won the tiebreaker 9-7 to claim the 80-minute set, she was unable to maintain the pressure in the last and lost the match 6-3 6-7 (9) 6-2 in 2h33m.

The mixed doubles reached no great heights and was over in just 47 minutes.
    Although Poland was the top seed for the tournament, the rankings were put out before Panfil replaced world number 21 Jerzy Janowicz in the line-up.

For Radwanska, the event was a great warm-up for the Sydney International, where she is the top seed, and for the Australian Open.
    For Panfil, the $90,000 he pocketed for being runner-up almost doubled his career earnings.

He'll head to Melbourne now where he is hopeful of a getting a start in the Australian Open qualifying tournament that starts on Wednesday.

The French team finally gets on the trophy after 20 attempts.

Twice before they have made finals and Cornet so desperately wanted to be the first to get the red, white and blue on the honour board.

She also heads to Sydney, where she will play a qualifier in the opening round and then world number 5 Petra Kvitova in the second, if she is successful.

Kvitova beat Cornet during this Hopman Cup in three tough sets.

After claiming the $150,000 (per person) winners cheque, Tsonga will head to Melbourne to warm up for the Open. He won't play another prelude tournament.

He stated several times during the Hopman Cup that he wanted to be one of the best players in the world and his performances in Perth this week would suggest that he isn't far from getting there.
    ~ The Road To Singapore goes into Week 2 this week, with the Apia International Sydney (3915 miles/6300 km from Singapore) and the Hobart International (4063 miles/6538 km from Singapore).

~ Six Top 10 players are in action this week and they're all in Sydney (Agnieszka Radwanska, Petra Kvitova, Sara Errani, Jelena Jankovic, Angelique Kerber and Caroline Wozniacki). Radwanska, Kvitova and Wozniacki are playing their first WTA-level events of the year - Radwanska and Kvitova played at the Hopman Cup last week, while Wozniacki had to pull out of Brisbane with a shoulder injury.

~ Two of 2013's biggest breakthrough stars - Simona Halep and Sloane Stephens - are also playing their first WTA-level events of the year in Sydney. Halep won her first six WTA titles last year, while Stephens reached the second week of all four Grand Slams, including the semifinals of the Australian Open and the quarterfinals of Wimbledon. They finished at No.11 and No.12 on the year-end rankings.

~ Svetlana Kuznetsova finished the 2013 season with 499 career match wins and will go for her 500th career match win in the first round of Sydney (she plays Stephens). She would be the 10th active player to hit 500 after Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Tamarine Tanasugarn, Francesca Schiavone, Nadia Petrova, Jelena Jankovic, Flavia Pennetta, Daniela Hantuchova and Maria Sharapova.

~ Toughest first round draw in Sydney: Sara Errani against Roberta Vinci.

~ The doubles field is also packed in Sydney, with three-time Grand Slam champions Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci the No.1 seeds, 2011 Wimbledon champions Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik the No.2 seeds and Tokyo and Beijing champions Cara Black and Sania Mirza the No.3 seeds.

~ Sam Stosur headlines as the No.1 seed in Hobart, a departure from her usual pre-Australian Open schedule - she hasn't played anything but Sydney right before the Australian Open since 2004. The Aussie won 12 of her last 15 matches of 2013 and reached back-to-back finals in Moscow and Sofia.

~ Toughest first round draw in Hobart: Elena Vesnina against Monica Puig.

~ The Australian Open doesn't start until a week from Monday but there's a lot going on this week for the first Grand Slam tournament of the year - Monday's rankings will determine the seedings, the qualifying draw takes place starting on Wednesday and the main draw ceremony is on Friday.

~ Speaking of rankings, the most significant change on Monday will see Li Na dip from No.3 to No.4 and Maria Sharapova move from No.4 to No.3 after her semifinal showing in Brisbane.

- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3604437/title/this-week-10-things-to-know#sthash.b3MlwR99.dpuf
    joshdoit wrote: »
    pwede na ba akong sumali? :D
    pasalihin niyo na ako hahaha :))

ako naman nanalo ng US Open eh. de joke lang haha pero pasalihin niyo na ako hahaha

Sorry joshdoit, we have to abide by the rules, it would be unfair for the others who waited :)

You can still submit your entries, I'll tally it with the others. Practice mo na rin to for the French, malay mo manalo ka ulit :glee:
    Are you ready for the first Grand Slam of the year? :naughty:

c4iz.jpg

We're officially inviting you to join the Pinoyexchange Tennis Fantasy League - Australian Open 2014 Edition to be held from January 13 to 26.

Bet on the likes of Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams to win this year's titles.

Get a chance to win special prizes including bragging rights of becoming one of the 30 and counting fantasy league champions.

Just visit the official Australian Open 2014 thread and read the mechanics on how to join.

Ready? Play!