Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Terminator Genisys (2015)

McG Plans to Put "Fun" Back Into the Terminator Franchise

Controversial director McG confirmed that he would be returning to the Terminator franchise that he helped relaunch with this year's Terminator Salvation. Salvation under-performed at the box office, and McG admitted that his film was missing an essential ingredient that original Terminator director, James Cameron, added to the mix.

"I think the film missed some of the fun that Jim brought to the early pictures. I'm a disciple of Jim ... and clearly I didn't do a good enough job on that picture and I didn't satisfy the fanbase to the degree that I would expect to satisfy them. And I take that very seriously and I just work that much more diligently to make sure I do that in the next one."

McG also said that he realized that the film's storyline suffered because of the lack of a central antagonist and the fact that the story was too divided between Christian Bale's character, John Connor, and Sam Worthington's character, Marcus Wright.

He says the next movie is going to reintroduce time travel and a present-day setting: "It's very, very likely that John Connor is going to end up running through rooms like this where he knows something that none of us know. And I think that is a platform for great storytelling.

Rate Terminator Genisys 7 votes

5 Stars: Fantastic!
0%
4 Stars: Great
14%
sharkey360 1 vote
3 Stars: Good
71%
saboteurAquamanLarry LegendJobyBryant24080250 5 votes
2 Stars: Awful
14%
|wyatt| 1 vote
1 Star: Waste of Time
0%

Comments

• If I am to add more suggestions to save the franchise:

11. James Cameron should take over. (I guess this just compliments #1 - hire a new director).

12. If all else fails, let it rest in peace. T4 just made irreversible damages to it already.
  • j5bataj5bata PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sam Worthington practically stole the show from Christian Bale where he was only there for like one-third of the story
  • mykel14mykel14 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Arnold Schwarzenegger to return for Terminator 5, set for June 2015 release

First movie in a brand new trilogy.

Maybe the mods can edit the title now?
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Emilia Clarke is reuniting with her Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor for Terminator: Genesis. Clarke will play Sarah Connor, the woman who is the mother of analog savior John Connor.

She’ll appear in the movie opposite Jason Clarke, who will play her son Jon — in other words, we know there’s definitely some time travel in this one. Reports says there’s a trip forward this time, so we may see Sarah thrust into the future where an AI network has achieved sentience and started to wipe out humanity.

Original The Terminator star Arnold Schwarzenegger will reportedly show up as well.

Terminator: Genesis has been described as the first chapter in a new film trilogy; it is set for release in July 2015.
  • MeFan_YouJaneMeFan_YouJane PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Excited, and at the same time apprehensive about this. If they're rebooting, I just hope they don't mess this up. The original is one of my favorite movies of all time.
  • black_spectreblack_spectre PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    According to eonline

http://www.eonline.com/news/490902/emilia-clarke-cast-as-sarah-connor-in-terminator-reboot

this will be a remake. I don’t know about this, but I hope it’s as good as the first three films. I didn’t like Terminator: Salvation.
  • The recent Terminator movies are fine but these movies are too PG-13 for me. I miss the gold old fashioned the Rated R Terminator movies (the first and second one). The first and second movies had this horror element that really freaked me out. Where it's an The Terminator chasing Sarah Connor endlessly non stop or if it's the T-1000 methodically piercing it's victims.

Terminator 3 and Salvation it too "sci-fi ish" and needs those horror elements back for future films.
  • black_spectreblack_spectre PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    For me Terminator 3 was the best. I like Kristanna Loken as the TX, and the crane-truck-motorbike-firetruck chase was just fun. :D
  • etherial_fistetherial_fist PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Emila Clarke Lands Sarah Connor Role In TERMINATOR: GENESIS
    Posted by Chris A

She’s been in the running for the iconic role of kickass heroine Sarah Connor for a number of weeks now but today, Emilia Clarke (“GAME OF THRONES”) has officially signed on to portray the character in the upcoming sci-fi sequel TERMINATOR: GENESIS. Arnold Schwarzenegger is expected to reprise his signature cyborg role in a film that involves time travel into the future. Linda Hamilton played the heroine in James Cameron’s first two films in the series.

Just the other day, Jason Clarke (ZERO DARK THIRTY) entered talks to play John Connor, Sarah’s son and the leader of the rebellion against the Skynet artificial intelligence system bent on wiping out the human race. Set for release on July 1, 2015, TERMINATOR: GENESIS, the first in a new rebooted trilogy of films will be directed by Alan Taylor (“GAME OF THRONES,” THOR: THE DARK WORLD) who will work from a script by Patrick Lussier (DRIVE ANGRY, MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D) and Laeta Kalogridis (SHUTTER ISLAND, ALEXANDER).

The film will be produced by Megan Ellison of Annapurna Pictures and David Ellison of Skydance Productions with Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance serving as executive producers. Paramount Pictures will distribute the sci-fi action sequel. With both a new television series and a fifth feature film in the works, it looks like things are really looking up on the TERMINATOR front! There aren’t any plot details to speak of regarding either but I can’t wait to see what Skynet or whoever will try to bring the world to an end this time around has in store for us next!

Emilia-clarke-wallpaper-hd.jpg
  • etherial_fistetherial_fist PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The cast is really starting to come together for the upcoming sci-fi sequel TERMINATOR: GENESIS, with GAME OF THRONES star Emilia Clarke landing the role of Sarah Connor, Jason Clarke (ZERO DARK THIRTY) signing on to play her son John Connor and Arnold Schwarzenegger set to reprise his signature cyborg role in the film that involves time travel into the future. Today, a host of actors are set to read for the role of Kyle Reese, the father of John, who’ll eventually become the leader of the rebellion against the Skynet artificial intelligence system bent on wiping out the human race.

Jai-Courtney-12-1024x1536-266x400.jpg

Lead by Jai Courtney (A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD), Wilson Bethel (“HART OF DIXIE”), Thomas Cocquerel (“ANZAC GIRLS”), Boyd Holbrook (THE HOST) and Sam Reid (ANONYMOUS) are also up for the highly coveted role. Set for release on July 1, 2015, TERMINATOR: GENESIS, the first in a new rebooted trilogy of films will be directed by Alan Taylor (“GAME OF THRONES,” THOR: THE DARK WORLD) who will work from a script by Patrick Lussier (DRIVE ANGRY, MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D) and Laeta Kalogridis (SHUTTER ISLAND, ALEXANDER).
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jai Courtney Lands Kyle Reese Role in TERMINATOR: GENESIS

The new Terminator film has found its Kyle Reese. After testing a number of actors for the key role in director Alan Taylor’s (Thor: The Dark World) reboot Terminator: Genesis, Jai Courtney (Jack Reacher) has come away with the role, as Courtney has been tapped to play Kyle Reese opposite Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) as Sarah Connor, Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty) as John Connor, and Arnold Schwarzenegger as the iconic Terminator.
  • Zep_TepiZep_Tepi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The Latest on ‘Terminator: Genesis’

Terminator fans have a lot to be excited about these days. Heck, even folks that have soured on the franchise may have reason to be interested again. Terminator: Genesis is set to begin filming next month and, with that, comes some news on what direction the series is heading in. Some of what’s floating around is coming straight from the mouth of the T-800 himself, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and some of it is coming from the often-reliable folks at Moviehole.

terminator5.jpg

First, let’s look at this quote from the Austrian Oak about the production itself:

“We start filming in the middle or in the end of April and it will be a four or four-and-a-half month long shoot. We will be filming it in New Orleans with some of it in San Francisco and maybe a little of it in LA but most of it will be done in New Orleans. I’m really looking forward to that because as you know, the last time when they did the Terminator, it was when I was Governor and so I couldn’t be in that movie but now I’m back again and they are very excited about having me in the film. And David Ellison, who has produced all the big movies lately, has plenty of money to do it well. He’s in partnership with Paramount Pictures who are going to release the movie through their distribution. I’m really looking forward to that and it’s going to come out on July 4th weekend in 2015. The movie preparation is going well. The script is fantastic so I’m really looking forward to this film.“

So that’s some harmless lip service. Doesn’t really reveal much, and could just be Arnie’s way of saying, “Give us a chance! Dis is going to be COOL!” But the scoop over at Moviehole? Now that‘s something to get excited about. As always, this is a mere rumor until it’s confirmed but the site claims it’s source is 2-for-2 with scoops it’s given them so far. So let’s enter scoop/rumor land for a bit:

Chief amongst people’s concerns, or disdain, when it comes to all of the Terminator films post-T2 is the feeling of “Why bother? There’s nowhere else to go from here. They averted Judgement Day. They closed the loop. The story is over. STOP MILKING THIS DAMN THING!” The two sequels since then have thusly struggled to justify their existence, since James Cameron put such a clearly-defined period at the end of his story. Well, it looks like the filmmakers behind Genesis (which MH claims will be the title) may have figured out a fresh way to revisit and reboot the series…within the same cinematic universe set up in Cameron’s seminal first two films.

terminator-ss.jpg

In essence, the site claims that they’re going to take a page out of J.J. Abrams’s Star Trek reboot and create an alternate timeline. A timeline that doesn’t negate what came before it in the eyes of longtime fans, but takes us back to a critical point where an alternate reality is created and resets the story. Think of Back To The Future II, where they revisit 1955 because something was altered in the past that affects their present (1985).

lso similar to BttF II, Terminator: Genesis will revisit certain key scenes from the previous films to show where, and how, things get skewed. So we should expect to see recreations of certain pivotal moments from the first two films, with new actors in place and- presumably- a digitally de-aged Schwarzenegger. This also means that even small-ish characters from the first films, be they Sarah Connor’s roommate or Detective Vukovich (Lance Henriksen), and even John Connor’s foster parents from T2 will be involved in the story somehow. MH even says that Sarah’s iguana from the first film will be here!

I must say, as someone who turned his back on the post-Cameron Terminator flicks, this sounds like the best way to get people back. Rather than some ham-fisted, “Things were going to end up this way no matter what!” explanation that we got in the last two sequels, which essentially sapped T2 of its power and dramatic tension, this seems like a solid way to use the Terminator universe’s established time travel elements to create something fresh while still honoring the better films in the series.

Similar to how Abrams’s Star Trek made me interested, for the first time ever, in the Trek universe, something like this- if executed masterfully- could restore my faith in the Terminator franchise. It’s all in the execution. If it’s half-baked in any way, though, then it’ll just be another pointless cash-in. So we shall see.
    Jai Courtney Talks Taking ‘Terminator: Genesis’ Job

Sharing in the skepticism that many actors feel- and $omehow overcome- regarding appearing in a reboot, Jai Courtney told IGN that he wasn’t sure about taking the role of Kyle Reese in Terminator: Genesis. Echoing statements made by other actors in recent updates of older properties- like Joel Kinnaman in RoboCop & Miles Teller in Fantastic Four- Courtney implies that it took the inclusion of other great talent involved to make him feel like Terminator: Genesis was a worthy project. He also points out how this won’t be the first time he’s done something like this.

“I’ve always had a bit of skepticism about something being rebooted. I remember when [A Good Day to] Die Hard came around a few years ago, I was like, ‘Really? They’re gonna make another one?’ and then I found myself in it and totally invested in it. I think it’s healthy to have that [skepticism] because you want it to be something [special], you want to keep that eye for quality sharp. But when I read this, I was pretty into it and the story’s cool,” he said. “It’s attached a great cast as well. I think Emilia Clarke’s wonderful and she’s got a lot of support and stuff behind her. And Jason Clarke as well I’m a big admirer of so, yeah, it’s gonna be really cool, man. I’m looking forward to doing that, and running around with Arnie won’t be too bad.”

So Courtney got to play Bruce Willis’s son in the latest Die Hard film, and now gets to blow things up with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the new Terminator. I’d say he’s scratched off two significant bucket list items off the to-dos of many 80s babies. Can’t wait to see him play a henchman in the next Rambo.

All kidding aside, Courtney was never better than he was in Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I hope he is able to replicate that on the big screen at some point, because his film ventures have been rather underwhelming up until now, in my humble opinion.
    J.K. Simmons in talks to join Terminator: Genesis

Terminator: Genesis looks to be on the brink of adding another quality name to its steadily growing cast list, with J.K. Simmons in talks to join the project.

According to THR, Simmons is in line to play an alcoholic detective who has been embroiled in a bizarre case involving Sarah Connor and a fleet of killer robots for the last three decades.

Thirty years would of course take us back to 1984, the year the first film was released, and indeed, the new film is set to retread various events already documented in past episodes of the series.

Rumours have recently emerged online suggesting that the new film will use an alternate timeline device to alter the course of events from those that played out in the original series, although nothing has been officially confirmed as yet.

Should he sign on for Alan Taylor’s film, Simmons will join Emilia Clarke, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jai Courtney and Jason Clarke, with Terminator: Genesis set to open in the UK on 26 June 2015
    J.K. Simmons Set To Join ‘Terminator: Genesis’

According to The Hollywood Reporter, J.K. Simmons (“The Closer,” “Spider-Man”) is in negotiations to join the cast of Terminator: Genesis, the reboot of the sci-fi action franchise being made by Skydance and Paramount.

Alan Taylor will direct the film which stars Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor, Jason Clarke as John Connor, Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese, and Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, whether he is good or bad remains to be seen.

J.K

Simmons will play a weary and alcoholic detective who has followed a bizarre case involving Sarah Connor and robots for more than three decades since 1984.

The remake will thread together multiple ideas from the previous movies as it relaunches the story of a cyborg from a future where computers gained intelligence and waged war against mankind.

Filming is slated to begin this spring.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
  • MasterVaderMasterVader PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    “TERMINATOR” REBOOT OFFICIALLY TITLED “TERMINATOR GENISYS”
    via press release

20qcllg.jpg

Production has officially wrapped on the upcoming "Terminator" reboot and star Arnold Schwarzenegger revealed the title for the film in a post on his Facebook - “Terminator Genisys.” Schwarzenegger revealed the title along with an image of him on the set which you can check out below.

2ninq5h.jpg

"Hasta la vista, baby. I want to thank the cast and crew of Terminator Genisys for a fantastic shoot," he wrote. "It was challenging, it was fun, and it was rewarding. From our director to the producers, from the camera team to catering, from visual effects to hair and makeup - we couldn't have done it without you. I can't wait to see our finished project and I know we'll remind the fans why they fell in love with the Terminator. On July 1, 2015, I'll be back."

Co-starring Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi, Byung Hun Lee and Matt Smith, “Terminator Genisys” is directed by “Thor: The Dark World's” Alan Taylor from a screenplay by Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance Productions are producing. Skydance's Paul Schwake, Annapurna Pictures' Megan Ellison, Kalogridis and Lussier are executive producing.

Opening across the Philippines on July 2015, “Terminator Genisys” is distributed by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.
  • MasterVaderMasterVader PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A much appropriate title would be

Trmn8tor Genisys.
  • Rick_diasRick_dias PEx Rookie ⭐
    ^^ hanggang sa parang jejemon na yung spelling... lols...