Home PEx Sports UAAP - Basketball

What do we know about incoming players (rookies/freshmen) for Season 77

Its nice to discuss HS players at this stage of recruitment phase. Yes, basketball season starts from here. After the end of juniors tournaments (NCAAjrs/ UAAPjrs), scouts and invitation to practice starts.

We know Thirdy Ravena is already doing scrimmages with the Blue Eagles. As well as Aaron Black.

Prince Rivero of LSGH showed up already during the Animo night, but said on his twitter he is still undecided yet.

Arvie Tolentino of the 5 peat Red Cubs seems still undecided. But rumors say that he already started shopping around practicing with different college school

Comments

• Hubert Cani might stay with NU. But Ateneo is in the hunt and some says even La Salle

Renzo Subido i think also showed up during Animo Night but with 3 PG already, he might end up with team B. UST is a logical choice for him. As the tigers are in search for a Fortuna 2.0.
  • I am most interested in where Renzo Subido will eventually matriculate. Majority of the expected title contenders share the pressing need to have a new solid play maker.

Ateneo's Kiefer operates best if someone else in the team is playing PG.

DLSU just lost LA to the pro ranks. And, their convincing victory in the Finals Series was Game 2. Therein, the innovation made by Coach Sauler was the unusual strategy of using two point guards at the same time. How can they sustain the same operation again with just two point guards, Torres and Montalbo?

Charles Mammee and Chris Javier can already take care of UE's front line. The backcourt, too, is where they have the biggest room for improvement.

FEU, of course, will be feeling the void created by the departure of Romeo and RR Garcia.

Volume scoring UST thrives on fast basketball. As already mentioned above, they will be needing a Fortuna 2.0.
  • streetfoodstreetfood Play Hard PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Bonleon will play for UST.
  • DLSU has a third PG in Terrence Mustre. To complicate things a bit, DLSU is actually in need of a bigger PG, a spot the undersized Subido might not be able to fill.

I'm guessing Cani's either going to NU or DLSU, the former being more likely. I read somewhere that NU and LSGH actually traded players (Prince came from NU while Cani came from LSGH).
  • DLSU has a third PG in Terrence Mustre. To complicate things a bit, DLSU is actually in need of a bigger PG, a spot the undersized Subido might not be able to fill.

I'm guessing Cani's either going to NU or DLSU, the former being more likely. I read somewhere that NU and LSGH actually traded players (Prince came from NU while Cani came from LSGH).

Oh! I thought Mustre will be playing SG. Just the same, Subido should be an instant impact player for DLSU. That's just my opinion, of course.

He's talented in both offense and defense. Recently, in that celebrated Marikina league, he humiliated an ex-PBA player with blocks and steals. His scrimmages with D-League players must've seasoned the Junior Archer.
  • streetfood wrote: »
    Bonleon will play for UST.

Hope this kid will finally play. Sayang... May talent. UST also recruited a transferee... Former archer and benilde Tolentino but will only play for a year.

Regarding Subido. Its tough for DLSU to pass on him. A good scoring PG in HS. But if you look at it closely... Torres is 3rd yr next year, Kib on 2nd, Mustre will be a rookie. Tough tough decision. Unless they are planin a 2 PG -at a time game plan.
  • Hubert Cani might stay with NU. But Ateneo is in the hunt and some says even La Salle

Renzo Subido i think also showed up during Animo Night but with 3 PG already, he might end up with team B. UST is a logical choice for him. As the tigers are in search for a Fortuna 2.0.[/QUOTE
    I am hoping that DLSU takes a better look at Subido. Recently this boy played in Marikina where the Deleague is held. He played for Architectos Construction. I'm sure he is the only high school player who had the guts to slug it out against current UAAP, ex PBA, fil-fors players. In the game between defending champ Hobe Bihon- Architectos, Subido led all scorers with a hefty 20 points. and that was playing against a team composed of ex Rain or Shine import Jamelle Cornley, UST's Krim Abdul, Jojo Duncil, Bong Hawkins, Sanders, and two more black players. Check stats in www.Sports29.
    ]

Mustre according to the observations of his former Red Cubs Coach and DLSU Team B Coaches is best suited for the SG position. In the recent Fr. Martin's, Mustre was tried on the PG spot. He has had just difficulty in setting the plays and above all, securing the ball.
  • manilaB wrote: »
    Oh! I thought Mustre will be playing SG. Just the same, Subido should be an instant impact player for DLSU. That's just my opinion, of course.

He's talented in both offense and defense. Recently, in that celebrated Marikina league, he humiliated an ex-PBA player with blocks and steals. His scrimmages with D-League players must've seasoned the Junior Archer.
    Subido is a 5'9 PG but he plays like a 6-footer plus very high basketball IQ. ADMU recently bannered their top recruits in HOPE's John Apacible & Clint Doliguez, but last Sunday in the PSSBC game between Zobel and Hope, Subido grabbed the ball out of Apacible's hands TWICE. Most of Subido's field goals were defended by Apacible on the paint, but still Subido came out with a 30-point explosion. After the game, I talked to his dad and just like many of us would ask, where will your son play for college. The elderly Subido replied- wala pa. Gusto ko lang muna ihanda mabuti ang anak ko. When I asked him if he thinks his son is ready with the physicality and huge size in college ball. He replied, no doubt! That was when he shared with me his son's 20 point game in Marikina Deleague.
  • ^^subido will get a more than good look from dlsu....he has some very influential backers from dlsz....;)
  • verde04verde04 PEx Rookie ⭐
    di ba may pinggoy rule kaya kahit sinong player from a uaap hs na pupunta sa ibang uaap college e kailangan magresidency so yung ibang lilipat e matatagalan pa bago makapaglaro .
    that is if yung mga incoming freshmen e magdecide na lumipat pa .
  • A PG is supposed to be the orchestrator of a team's offense, pass-first mentality dapat. I'd want to see a PG who consistently averages 5-7 assists per game. That's what DLSU needs. We don't need more scorers next year with Teng, Vosotros, AVO etc. still around.

I've seen Subido's supporters in in various forums always highlighting that he scored 20 points, 30 points in various games. I've seen him play in high school and for me his passing game is still wanting. Plus, I really think DLSU should find another Mike Cortez, tall and well-built PG who is explosive off the dribble. In all those aspects, Subido is still wanting.

That said, if he is willing to sit out a year or two in team b, it will be better for him trust me.
  • Spectator wrote: »
    A PG is supposed to be the orchestrator of a team's offense, pass-first mentality dapat. I'd want to see a PG who consistently averages 5-7 assists per game. That's what DLSU needs. We don't need more scorers next year with Teng, Vosotros, AVO etc. still around.

I've seen Subido's supporters in in various forums always highlighting that he scored 20 points, 30 points in various games. I've seen him play in high school and for me his passing game is still wanting. Plus, I really think DLSU should find another Mike Cortez, tall and well-built PG who is explosive off the dribble. In all those aspects, Subido is still wanting.

That said, if he is willing to sit out a year or two in team b, it will be better for him trust me.

A pass-first PG is definitely a plus for any team, especially in a running game. Subido is probably most effective in set-plays which, IMHO, is also needed by La Salle.

DLSU's only convincing defeat was in the hands of NU during the first round. They, NU, with their towers, refused La Salle access to the paint in that game. The bigs like Norbert Torres would sometimes pop-out, hoping that their guards will follow them to the perimeter, but nobody was biting. The shaded area was stubbornly guarded. If DLSU had an outside scorer with Subido's reliability, the zone D would have opened up.

NU, of course, lost in the second round. For some reason, in the latter part of the season, they always played small and did not employ the previously effective strategy against DLSU.

As regards your wish for DLSU to have another Mike Cortez, that may require recruitment from overseas again. The former Archer is Torres, Montalbo and Subido, combined. And none of the three are as big (6'0). Amongst the local HS players, I don't think anyone has the size and the talent.

BTW, Subido is also admired for his defense. DLSU will not regret getting him. If his passing is such an issue, maybe, as you suggested, a year in the Developmental Team will be a good idea. Anyway, aside from college basketball, he will also need to adjust to college academics. I heard that Subido plans to get into a tough program. They say he never takes his studies for granted.
  • If they want to be absolutely dominant, La Salle would need a PG similar to Ray Parks. Athletic, tall, good shooting, passes well, defends well.

La Salle needs a tall PG. It's not only La Salle who's recruiting in the United States. Eventually other schools will recruit Fil-Ams as well, and we'll get to see 6'3" PGs.
  • verde04verde04 PEx Rookie ⭐
    ^
    I think that is the advantage of the fil-for players against our locals here.
    madami kasing matatangkad na kalaban kaya ang position ng mga 6"-6"3+ e nasa Guard lang pero dito pang SF na kaya pagbabalik sila dito para maglaro e makakapaglaro sila ng nakasanayan nilang position.
  • Speaking of La Salle, i think they have more fil-for in their pipeline. One more bigman and another small combo guard (other than tratter, sargent, mustre & haruna) i heard. One day la salle will be like the azkals wherein all are half blooded.

Another player who deserves a second look is Caracut of San Beda. Good sense of the court, good IQ. Decent outside shot. The Red Lions have a lot of work to secure their Cubs to stay in the Lions den
  • Speaking of La Salle, i think they have more fil-for in their pipeline. One more bigman and another small combo guard (other than tratter, sargent, mustre & haruna) i heard. One day la salle will be like the azkals wherein all are half blooded.

that will not happen....the school and the alumni will not allow it!

Another player who deserves a second look is Caracut of San Beda. Good sense of the court, good IQ. Decent outside shot. The Red Lions have a lot of work to secure their Cubs to stay in the Lions den

Pst wag maingay. Let them focus on Arvin hehe
  • What do you guys think of Isaac Go?
  • da winkda wink PEx Rookie ⭐
    ^sana makuha *** ni pido...chinese connection uli.