Home PEx Business and Careers The Entrepreneur's Corner
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Karapatang-Ari, Patente

i bought a reviewer book and i want to use it on my review center business is there a possibility to someone accuse me a copyright issue?

Comments

• green gringreen grin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    a philippine copyright is recognized/protected in signatory-countries of the berne and tripps conventions and vice-versa. however, in the national laws of some of these signatory-countries, it is required that a literary work be published in their country within 60 days of registration in the philippines. in the event there is a conflict between international laws and national laws, local courts generally allow the latter to prevail.

the best thing to do is to apply in every country where this conflict might arise. a number of law firms here in the philippines can do this for you.

[This message has been edited by green grin (edited 05-15-2000).]
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    What if I were lazy or didn't have the resources to register in these other countries. Could I sue a foreign violator in Philippine courts?

(Don't know how much good that'll do, though).
    you're right. it's a matter of acquiring jurisdiction over the violator. i'd recommend suing him in the courts of his country. get in touch with a lawyer in that jurisdiction and offer him a percentage of the award. kung malaki yung kinita noong violator na yon there's a good chance that you 'll have lawyers coming here to see you.
  • lupuSlupuS PExer
    How long is a copyright good for?
    i'll have to get back to you on that, lupus, but i can tell you now that each country has it's own periods. parang i remember sa u.s. it's 18 years.

senator yak - any pending bill for the philippines regarding this?
  • GG: YUP, its called the Intellectual Property Code or RA No. 8293. With Copyright, protection is during the lifetime of the author and until 50 years after his death etc etc. mahaba e!
    If you would be so kind as to differentiate, for all of us, between a copyright and a trademark?
    copyright refers to rights on literary property whereby the author or originator of certain literary or artistic production is invested, for a specific period, with the sole and exclusive privilege of multiplying copies of the same (publishing) and selling them.

trademark is a distinctive mark of authenticity through which the products of particular manufacturers may be distinguished from those of others. it's a distinctive mark, motto, device, symbol which the manufacturer affixes on his products.
  • gg: ditto :)
  • RambusRambus PEx Rookie ⭐
    Do pictures have copyrights?
    they can be copyrighted.
    In another topic (Questions for Lawyers) http://www.pinoyexchange.com/Forum6/HTML/000205.html gem asked the question:

how abt a website? I knw its an intellectual property, but which kind is it? (a copyright, a trademark, a patent?)

and the honorable(?) senator yak replied:

gem: a website is not a patent coz it is not an invention; neither is it a trademark coz it is not used to identify a business, distinguish goods or services.... so it must be a copyright.... but the copyright must pertain to the intellectual creation of the website.

Now, a follow-up question:

Is there such a thing as a "default" copyright, one that naturally exists and belonging to the creator of an idea, or do copyrights originate from a legal procedure?

I ask this because websites, like newspapers, frequently change their content. Surely there must be a mechanism to cover these content changes whenever they happen...

kuyadanny - contents that appear in a newspaper and magazines are covered by the copyright of the publication itself. hence, anything that appears therein are part of the copyrighted material. websites i believe, because of its interactive nature, are a bit "iffy".

works must be copyrighted though the proper legal procedure.

[This message has been edited by green grin (edited 05-25-2000).]
    In the wake of the recent Napster copyright lawsuit, record companies are becoming more aggressive in pursuing unauthorized distribution of music. This link gives the details on the lawsuit filed by EMI against yourmobile.com, a provider of ringtones for GSM cellular phones.
    In what seems to be a bad development for "cybersquatters", international trademark arbitration boards have been ruling mostly in favor of trademark owners when rightful ownership of domain names has been contested. Read more in this article.
  • sorri kung maling forum ito ha, di ko kasi alam kung saab i post ito eh

anyways paano ba ?? magkano ?? para bang trade mark yan ??

salamat sa mga mag rereply !!
  • Go to the National Library at T.M. Kalaw St. right there at the Luneta. :)
  • thank you for ur reply! pero can you be more specific??

anong department , tel. number , website?? is it free ??

tulong naman please!!!
  • Try the PLDT Government / Business White Pages and look for NATIONAL LIBRARY THE. :)
  • Try calling up the Filipino Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, Inc. (FILSCAP). I'm sure they'll help you out on this matter.

FILSCAP - Filipino Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, Inc.
    1365 E. Rodrigues Sr, Avenue
    Quezon City
    Metro Manila
    Philippines
    Tel: (632) 722 6981 / 722 6986 / 411 1115
    Fax: (632) 722.94.50
    Email: [email protected]