COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

GIANT WATCH: Junemar Fajardo vs. Greg Slaughter (Renewing the Rivalry)

Comments

• jazzperjazzper In Your Mind PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I'm happy to see that the two giants of Philippine Basketball is doing well in the league and with lots of improvement in the years to come. Yes, they will become arch rival in the PBA and lots of fans are expecting this collision. Its really entertaining once this two gentle giants meet up and defending each other. Fajardo re-affirmed himself as the most important player in Petron. He is dominant in almost every game proven in his stats. Definitely, Junmar has a better stats as compared to Greg in every game because Fajardo's role is to dominate the inside and score as much as he can. Besides, he is the lone giant of Petron. On the other hand, Greg's role in his team is more of being an intimidating presence inside the paint. In short, Greg's role for now is to focus on defense and get those offensive and defensive rebounds. Scoring is just a second option for him because there is another giant who can score and wreck havoc inside in the presence of Japeth. Definitely the stats will spread to this 2 giants whereas Junmar is doing it all alone inside. But the reason why I'm happy because now we have 2 young homegrown giants that are good and talented (not to mention Japeth) who are our future Gilas players who will compete the rest of the world. Finally we are not that midget anymore when we face the giants of Asia namely China, Iran, etc. I hope they will take care and give appropriate trainings to enhance their skills. Go Philippines! Here we come Spain.*okay*
  • mannersmannersmannersmanners Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    For Fiba Asia 2014

C
    Jun Mar Fajardo
    Greg Slaughter
    PF
    Japeth Aguilar
    Arnold Van Opstal
    SF
    Raymond Almazan
    Ian Sanggalang
    SG
    Bobby Ray Parks JR.
    Cliff Hodge
    Beau Belga
    PG
    Calvin Abueva
    Jayson Castro
    Dylan Abobau
  • tsk_tsktsk_tsk Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^^ hindi ka rin palabiro ano? galing ngline up mo :bop:
  • darknight10darknight10 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    For Fiba Asia 2014

C
    Jun Mar Fajardo
    Greg Slaughter
    PF
    Japeth Aguilar
    Arnold Van Opstal
    SF
    Raymond Almazan
    Ian Sanggalang
    SG
    Bobby Ray Parks JR.
    Cliff Hodge
    Beau Belga
    PG
    Calvin Abueva
    Jayson Castro
    Dylan Abobau

Nice Belga at 2. If you want a fantasy ala NBA lineup, i'll go with this

Norwood Dillinger
    Parks Canaleta Washington
    Williams Aguilar
    Fajardo Almazan Van Opstal
    Douhtit Slaughter

Now that's a 12 man "tall" lineup. and MORE realistic than yours :D
  • carmela8carmela8 Member PExer
    tandaan niyo ang Gilas was formed 2009 and their coach was Toroman.

Si Greg Slaughter ay kasama sa Smart Gilas Team since 2010. Lagpas limang International Basketball Competitions na sinalihan ng Smart Gilas since 2010 na ang centro nila ay si Slaughter.

Kung baga alam na ni Toroman ang kakayahan ni Slaughter kasi matagal na niya yang kasama sa team niya.

Yung iba dito nakiki-ride on lang sa usapan, wala namang talagang alam sa nangyari sa Gilas team.

Sa totoo lang yang Gilas Team natin na sumabak sa Fiba Asia ngayong taon, handicap team yan. Hindi sa hindi sila magaling. Yung mga ibang star player na originally kasama sa line up.. injured yung iba naman di pinayagan ng PBA team nila, yung iba di sumali dahil waste of time lang daw. Kilala niyo na siguro sila.

Sa kadamutan ng ibang team, si Belga naging option nang isali. Imagine.

Si Greg part ng Gilas Team yan. Di pinalaro ni Coach Chot dahil di siya nakasama sa mga scrimmages nila or training sa ibang bansa dahil inaayos niya academics niya/ citizenship documents at records para sa PBA Draft.

Sasabihin niyong mas magaling yung isa kasi maganda yung pinakita sa 5 games sa PBA finals. Pero nung FIBA Asia ang lalakas ng banat niyo na "bano" pala itong player na ito.

Di mo i-measure sa 5 laro. I-measure mo sa totality ng career nila.

Sa CESAFI sino ba angat? (Yung isa MVP sa 3 season na nilaro niya sa CESAFI)

Sa GILAS Team sino ba angat? (Siya ang option na Centro parati ng Gilas Team, type mo sa youtube Greg Slaughter ang lalabas ay puro mga plays niya sa Gilas Team habang kalaban ibang bansa)

Sa PBA ... pag natapos ang All-Filipino tsaka kayo bumanat kung sino nga ang magaling!
  • IshmaelMIshmaelM Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    carmela8 wrote: »

Si Greg Slaughter ay kasama sa Smart Gilas Team since 2010. Lagpas limang International Basketball Competitions na sinalihan ng Smart Gilas since 2010 na ang centro nila ay si Slaughter.

Kung baga alam na ni Toroman ang kakayahan ni Slaughter kasi matagal na niya yang kasama sa team niya.

Yung iba dito nakiki-ride on lang sa usapan, wala namang talagang alam sa nangyari sa Gilas team.

Sa totoo lang yang Gilas Team natin na sumabak sa Fiba Asia ngayong taon, handicap team yan. Hindi sa hindi sila magaling. Yung mga ibang star player na originally kasama sa line up.. injured yung iba naman di pinayagan ng PBA team nila, yung iba di sumali dahil waste of time lang daw. Kilala niyo na siguro sila.

Si Greg part ng Gilas Team yan. Di pinalaro ni Coach Chot dahil di siya nakasama sa mga scrimmages nila or training sa ibang bansa dahil inaayos niya academics niya/ citizenship documents at records para sa PBA Draft.

Sasabihin niyong mas magaling yung isa kasi maganda yung pinakita sa 5 games sa PBA finals. Pero nung FIBA Asia ang lalakas ng banat niyo na "bano" pala itong player na ito.

Sa GILAS Team sino ba angat? (Siya ang option na Centro parati ng Gilas Team, type mo sa youtube Greg Slaughter ang lalabas ay puro mga plays niya sa Gilas Team habang kalaban ibang bansa)

Sa PBA ... pag natapos ang All-Filipino tsaka kayo bumanat kung sino nga ang magaling!

Pre alam ko die-hard Slaughter fan ka. Most naman nag-aagree maganda simula niya. Pero most din nagaagree na lamang ang laro ni June Mar ngayon. Part of it is yung role ni June Mar sa team. Actually tingnan natin sa pasko pag nagtagpo na sila ;)
  • LoofeeLoofee Joe Cortez = Cheato Salud PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

I'll make several corrections to your seemingly misinformed post. Gilas was established before 2009 in preparation for the 2011 WUHAN FIBA ASIA with the disastrous aftermath of the Tokushima joust. Due to the success of the NT that year (4th place),SBP decided to extend the program w/ Coach Chot Reyes at the helm.

Again I would like to make emphasis that the pinnacle of that program are the 2 FIBA ASIA tourneys that happened in Wuhan in 2011 and most recently in Manila this year, the qualifiers for the FIBA World Championships.

As far as I know Slaughter was part of the POOL where players can be pulled from to make the 12-man team. Fajardo was also invited but his handlers then decided to reject the offer. Just based on this logic alone, Slaughter who has been a part of the Gilas pool from the very start should get the advantage of being chosen over other bigmen due to his familiarity with the system. But, Alas, he was never part of the 12-man OFFICIAL TEAM ROSTER that made it to the Wuhan and Manila editions of the FIBA ASIA. Guys like Aldrech Ramos, Jason Ballesteros and even the undersized Mac Baracael were chosen ahead of Greg in 2009. We all know who made it in 2013 and if there are players who could've made the final line-up if not for untimely injuries and FIBA policy changes...they are Kelly Williams, Marcio Lassiter, Jared Dillinger and possibly Sonny Thoss. No person of the right mind would've chosen Slaughter over these players. Your excuse of why Slaughter did not make the roster is a lame one and a product of ignorance. MVP financed his transfer from UV to Ateneo primarily to bolster the Eagles line-up and for the big guy to eventually play for Gilas. Other universities lent their best players to the program and I guess Ateneo is also willing to allow Slaughter to play for flag and country if chosen. BUT HE WAS NEVER CHOSEN FOR THE FINAL LINE-UP! Not because of academics or citizenship issues but the plain fact, HE WAS NEVER GOOD ENOUGH.

Since 2009, how many times did Slaughter play for Gilas? You wrote 5 times. Kindly enumerate. The only thing I could remember is that of the SEA games where there is token opposition to the country's dominance. Heck! He's not even a part of any Jones Cup teams.

I don't want to repeat myself in posting the 2 players' statistical comparison. Obviously you haven't backread this thread as you still have the guts to say Slaughter is better than Fajardo during their CESAFI days. I suggest for you to browse back along with the others who has not seen it for some big time reality check.
  • tutdyay13tutdyay13 Nobody does it better PExer
    ^ I totally agree. May Idea na siguro si Greg na hindi siya masasama sa final 12 kaya ibang bagay na lang yung inasikaso niya.
    Yep.I mean...would Chot seriously thought of choosing Slaughter over RDO, Pingris, Aguilar, Fajardo. Never in my wildest imagination. Kung si Belga pa siguro pwede...but then again Beau was eventually cut as well.

In the National team, we could categorize players as such:

CENTERPIECE PLAYERS
    Douthit, RDO, Castro,Tenorio
    ROLE PLAYERS
    Pingris, Aguilar, Chan, Fonacier, Alapag,Norwood
    FRINGE PLAYERS
    David, Fajardo
    POOL (Cut before Final line-up)
    Belga

So saan si Slaughter?
    Cut si Belga dahil mabagal daw release ng bola. laging inaabutan ng malalaking players ng opposing team. Dahil mas malalaki at mas mabibilis. Pano pa kaya kung si Greg? eh mismong si Yeng Guiao na nagsabi na mabagal si Greg.
  • carmela8carmela8 Member PExer
    The reason why you like Fajardo is not merely because he is better than Greg.
    Dahil purong pinoy siya.

Yun na yun eh.
    Mas magaling pa pala kayo kay Toroman.
    Imagine.

Sa dami ng mas magaling pa dito kay Toroman bakit di pa tayo maka Gold medal?

Ito sigurado ko, mas magaling si Abueva kay Fajardo. Dahil siya ang ROY.

Sino kaya mag ROY ngayong taon.
    Dahil purong pinoy siya.

Yun na yun eh.
    Imagine.

This is why I like Fajardo as a player.

High BBIQ
    Hard worker
    Humble
    Broad posterior, optimal for post-up play.
    6'10

I think Fajardo now is arguably the most dominant player now in the PBA. He led all players in efficiency rating in the last season. Meaning if statistics was the sole basis for the MVP, he should've won in last year. Are his stats related to his being a pure Filipino? No.

1 June Mar Fajardo, 33.2080
    2 Solomon Mercado, 32.9082
    3 LA Tenorio, 31.9860
    4 Mark Caguioa, 31.9552
    5 Calvin Abueva, 31.6331

Slaughter is already a good player in his own right. And based on his first game he is probably a better rim-protector than Fajardo. Fajardo is simply, over-all better than him now.

Who was the hero of last season's Governor's cup and Gilas? Marc Pingris. Everybody loves him but you know what, he's not pure Pinoy like Slaughter. By your logic pure Pinoys shouldn't love him as much as they do.

Who was the best player in Gilas in the Fiba Asia. It was Castro, he is not pure Pinoy. But everybody was proud when he was named to the mythical five. People hate Abueva not because he's half Pinoy but because of his personality.

People here have shown you their individuals stats in the sole season they played at the same time in CESAFI. It was overwhelmingly for Fajardo. I've shown you the PBA stats showing that statistically Fajardo was the best last season. We're all Pinoys here. The numbers favor Fajardo now. Slaughter might catch-up. Please let's stick with tnumbers. There's no value in putting race into the conversation.
  • I beg to differ, if stats will be the sole basis of MVP last year, Arwind will still take it home.

I think Junemar will still be more dominating giant than Greg, since JF was already well adjusted to his role as the mainman-bigman of his team, while Greg have still 5-games to prove that he's indeed the BIG for BGSM, but just like what I have said before and what Lofee had already pointed out.

May Aguilar pa ang BGSM and that big fella is just as better as the two or even better than this two. Not a center but a good tall SF/PF with a great timing on defense.

I don't know if I have it right, pero mas okay yata yung pinakita ni Greg vs Junemar's debut game in the PBA. But nonetheless, Greg will still need 5-more games before we can really have a clear gauge of what he will be in the league but then again it took a Gilas-experience and 2-conference before Junemar showed what he is really capable of. Kaya pwedeng ganun din kay Greg.
    What a stupid and pathetic reply from a person who can't answer objectively. We don't care if Greg is half Filipino.Nobody hates him for that. When we make a comparison between 2 players based on stats and resume...it doesn't mean we hate him. Ikaw lang naman ang nagsasabi nyan based on your obvious bias for Greg. Dahil sa naubusan ka na ng magandang rason to defend your argument, you are resorting to that lame excuse of yours that anybody who disagrees with you, hates Greg for being a Fil-foreigner.

In the 1st place,you were the one who raised the issue that Greg is better than June Mar in their CESAFI days. I gave everyone their statistical records which suggest otherwise. That proves that all your big talk of Greg being the superior player is TRASH. Now you're resorting to these lowball excuses.

Eh kung magaling kami,ano pang tawag sayo? All Knowing. LOL! Yang ipinagmamalaki mong Toroman,mas pinili pa sina Baracael,Ramos at Ballesteros kesa kay Slaughter na nabulok na sa Cadet pool pero ni minsan ay hindi nasali sa Final 12.

Aminado ako magaling si Abueva. ROY nga sya eh pero hindi ibig sabihin nun it will be that way forever. Si Rich Alvarez nga tinalo si James Yap for the ROY. Pero nasaan sya ngayon? And besides the comparison is between Fajardo and Slaughter. Paano nasali si Dabis sa usapan? We have explained our side why we think June Mar is better than Greg and all you can come up are these diversionary, outrageous reasons.
  • Yup spare The Beast on this discussion. The guy also proved his worthy of the ROY (leads in stats among Rookies and won a Champ) and definitely it doesn't have any weight on this topic.

For now Junemar had already proved something (sa huling conference) on the other hand Greg still yet to prove something.
    I beg to differ, if stats will be the sole basis of MVP last year, Arwind will still take it home.
    Please refer to the stats I posted. Lugi si June Mar sa ROY and MVP consideration and here's why. The average statistics used in the ROY and MVP race cover only from AFC up to Governor's cup quarterfinals. This means the games where June Mar was averaging almost import-like numbers, in the semis and finals were not counted. But if you consider ALL the games last season, we know na laking bagsak laro ni Arwind sa Finals. So if we are going to be fare and consider ALL the games, June Mar, statistically wins both the MVP and ROY.
  • AveStats From G1 of PhilCup to G7 of GovsCup:

Arwind 51 games
    12.48ppg
    8.46rpg
    1.19apg
    1.02spg
    0.96bpg

Abueva 52 games
    12.25ppg
    9.37rpg
    1.82apg
    0.90spg
    0.76bpg

Junemar 45 games
    12.13ppg
    9.33rpg
    0.60apg
    0.51spg
    1.20bpg

Lamang si Calvin except for blocks kay JF. Lamang si Arwind except for rebs & blks.

Efficiency was calculated including the FG% (misses) it has more complicated computation.

Definitely compared to Calvin & Arwind sa Efficiency as per pba-online.net (considering mins. played & fg and TOs) lamang si Junemar but efficiency wasn't the basis of statistical points that is being use by the PBA, it was solely the statistical points (ignoring the the fg, TOs and mins).

Di pa rin pala tapos ang issue ng MVP & ROY. nakups.

And I'm not even included on the MVP discussion si LA Tenorio who has better stats than Arwind.

And sa MVP/ROY kasama din sa computation ng stat points yung bonus SPs for Games won (Semis/Finals), Less pa yung TechFouls aND TOs. So basically yung nilagay ko na stats diyan ay yung P.A.R.B.S. lang nila.

So I think it would really be unfair to say that Junemar has better stats than Arwind and Calvin and he is more deserving than these two.

Anyway this is Greg vs Junemar thread. So, sorry for me being off-topic as well.
  • AkoPoSiPipoyAkoPoSiPipoy Team MMDA Gators PExer
    Paano kaya nasabi ni Carmela na mas angat si Greg kay Junemar during their CESAFI days? Anong basis? Dahil nag-champion yung UV?Nakalimutan ata nya na mas malakas ang supporting cast ni Greg during their CESAFI days. Kahit mga cebuano na kakilala ko sinasabi na mas angat na ang laro ni Junemar kahit noong CESAFI days pa lang nila. :lol:

Don't rely on Toro's statement... oh wait may sinabi ba si Toro kung sino ang mas magaling sa kanila? Sa pagkakaalam ko wala. Ang sinabi nya mas makakapag-adjust ng mabilis si Greg sa PBA kumpara kay Junemar. Tama naman siya at nakikita natin yan ngayon. Nakalimutan ata natin na may PBA stint na si Greg sa resume nya. Bukod pa sa edad nya, sanay na si Greg sa bigtime basketball dahil sa UAAP stint nya. :lol:

Carmela, wala akong napanood na game na naging key player si Greg sa Gilas. Kung Gilas experience/Toroman ang magiging basehan sa kung sino ang mas magaling, invalid na yan dahil kay Magi Sison. :lol:
    Dahil purong pinoy siya.

Yun na yun eh.
    Imagine.

Ang cute naman ng logic mo :D
  • warpalakolwarpalakol Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Paano kaya nasabi ni Carmela na mas angat si Greg kay Junemar during their CESAFI days? Anong basis? Dahil nag-champion yung UV?Nakalimutan ata nya na mas malakas ang supporting cast ni Greg during their CESAFI days. Kahit mga cebuano na kakilala ko sinasabi na mas angat na ang laro ni Junemar kahit noong CESAFI days pa lang nila. :lol:

Don't rely on Toro's statement... oh wait may sinabi ba si Toro kung sino ang mas magaling sa kanila? Sa pagkakaalam ko wala. Ang sinabi nya mas makakapag-adjust ng mabilis si Greg sa PBA kumpara kay Junemar. Tama naman siya at nakikita natin yan ngayon. Nakalimutan ata natin na may PBA stint na si Greg sa resume nya. Bukod pa sa edad nya, sanay na si Greg sa bigtime basketball dahil sa UAAP stint nya. :lol:

Carmela, wala akong napanood na game na naging key player si Greg sa Gilas. Kung Gilas experience/Toroman ang magiging basehan sa kung sino ang mas magaling, invalid na yan dahil kay Magi Sison. :lol:

I have a couple of cebuano friends who watch greg and junemar play during cesafi days and they said that greg played better against junemar. Minamama daw ni greg si junemar nung panahon na yon although hindi kasi natin napanood mag laro ang dalawang eto sa cesafi kaya wala tayo evidence :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file