COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

GIANT WATCH: Junemar Fajardo vs. Greg Slaughter (Renewing the Rivalry)

Comments

• oyen_invaderoyen_invader Animo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ely_tista wrote: »
    ang alam ko mas ok ang supporting cast ni GS kesa kay JF during CESAFI...or baka mabait lang ang extra rice kanina kay GS

Let's also remember that RoS has a small frontline. This is the same team where JF had a 20-26 game last semis.

I think JF also had a 17-15 game during his preseason debut against RoS last year. Kaya excited rin ako sa harapan nila sa AFC.
  • ely_tistaely_tista Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    papalamunin yata ni JF si GS ng maraming hook-shots and jolens sa AFC... Imaging Bonel vs EJ Fiehl daw ito sabi ni Idol PBADorm
  • LoofeeLoofee Joe Cortez = Cheato Salud PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^^ Yeah. And it was an actual game and that team had Arizona Reid.

Most likely, Almazan did not play since he's still playing in the Final 4. Di papayagan ni Caloy yun.

But I have to give credit as well to Slaughter. It's pretty impressive for him to score and rebound like that.
  • Marshall_MattersMarshall_Matters LOL PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    LOL Carmela08
  • ely_tistaely_tista Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i hope i Sticky ito ni sir JPM... para masundan natin ang improvement ng dalawang ito
  • black_spectreblack_spectre Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Let's also remember that RoS has a small frontline. This is the same team where JF had a 20-26 game last semis.

I think JF also had a 17-15 game during his preseason debut against RoS last year. Kaya excited rin ako sa harapan nila sa AFC.

And we know what happened in Fajardo’s first game vs. RoS. He bled for his points, literally.
  • ramildg101ramildg101 Member PExer
    And we know what happened in Fajardo’s first game vs. RoS. He bled for his points, literally.

Remember also the game of Junmar against ROS, Petron has no import because Balkman was sent home....he was up against Bruno Sundov.

True. Extra Rice greeted him with warm elbows and shoves. :lol:

Another thing, Toroman didnt even draw a single play for him. Sariling sikap siya non.
    ramildg101 wrote: »
    Remember also the game of Junmar against ROS, Petron has no import because Balkman was sent home....he was up against Bruno Sundov.

And he did well, with some help from Dorian Pena. I think it was those kind of games, plus the fact that he got injured and had to work his way back up, that built his character.

The mentoring of Danny I also helped but if Junmar was not a willing student, it would have been for nothing. Unlike other players, the guy accepts the fact that he has a lot to learn and is willing to put in the extra hours at practice.

And look where he is now.
    Cant stop laughing at Carmela8's post about June Mar being benched sa national team. Hahahahaha. Si Greg babad, sa SEA Games. Hahahaha.
    True. Extra Rice greeted him with warm elbows and shoves. :lol:

Another thing, Toroman didnt even draw a single play for him. Sariling sikap siya non.

RT and Olsen barely ran plays for Junmar. Remember all the posts we made here at PEX wondering why JF wasn’t getting the ball? Jason Webb even commented about that and there was also a Spin article discussing the matter. To Junmar’s credit, he did not complain about not getting enough shots, not being the focal point of the offense etc.

Even though he is a rookie, he has shown more common sense and humility compared to other players who have been in the league a long time yet don’t know any better.
    In June Mar's first two conferences, Petron was in a very turbulent situation. Coaching issues, star players clashing and changes of imports. But when all was settled in the last conference, June Mar was able to adjust well along with the team.

Lets also remember that the boy got injured in just his fourth or fifth game of his PBA career that got him sidelined for 7 or 8 games. He also drew the attention of the defense ng mga teams which was evident in his debut against ROS wherein he got mauled by everyone from ROS.

And yeah, oyen said it best, Fajardo was nothing but a human shield to the chuckers of Petron in the first conference, hello ACab!
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    It is a given that Fajardo is better than Slaughter now. Good thing, Greg has LA Tenorio to set him up at Ginebra.
    It is a given that Fajardo is better than Slaughter now. Good thing, Greg has LA Tenorio to set him up at Ginebra.

While June Mar has Alex Cabagnot. What a downgrade. :lol: Pero infairness to Alex, he had a descent Govs Cup.
  • roundtablepizzaroundtablepizza Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Cool_Enz wrote: »
    June Mar Fajardo is now way ahead of Greg Slaughter skills wise. Remember, Fajardo honed his skills in the ABL after a stellar collegiate career with University of Cebu. There he was ranged against taller and burlier imports. He showed some improvements with Petron and even became a better player after his stint with Gilas Pilipinas in this year's FIBA Asia Championship.

Slaughter, in contrast, opted to remain in the less-competitive UAAP where he was mostly guarded by 6'5 centers. Even there he wasn't really the dominant type of a player. And Slaughter had a forgettable season in the D-League, often missing his team's games due to his studies. :socool:

Totally agree with this. Considering he's up against players 6'7" and below, he's still having a hard time scoring. Hirap na hirap pa kay Abdul dati. It's the system or the plays that allow him to be open.

However, I would give Greg a slight edge in terms of defense and outside shooting. His mid range shots can really benefit a team much like SanMig which uses the triangle.
  • jacel27jacel27 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Kirhat wrote: »
    Another side matches that I am looking forward to this coming Conference are those that will pit Fajardo against Taulava and Slaughter vs Taulava. It will be interesting to see how the young ones will go against the rejuvenated veteran who had sterling performance with Air21 last conference.

Sorry baka sa practice lang manyari ito. :naughty:
  • LoofeeLoofee Joe Cortez = Cheato Salud PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

Slight correction. Fajardo has always been better than Slaughter.

CESAFI days
    PCCL
    National Team (FIBA Asia Bench player > SEA Games starter)

LA Tenorio will be huge for Greg. We saw how well LA teamed up with Macklin and while Greg may not be that explosive, all he has to do is learn to position and catch the ball. And with outside gunners like LA, MC47 and the jumpers of Japeth, his life inside will be easier.

I won’t be surprised if stats wise Greg does a bit better than Junmar did in his first conference. It’s not because I think one is better than the other, but during that time Petron was in disarray and the team simply did not run any plays for him.
    Anyway, what JF and Greg did in the past doesn’t matter. What does matter is what they do now.
  • roundtablepizzaroundtablepizza Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Belga weighs in: 'Slaughter has a lot of catching-up to do against Fajardo'

spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/belga-weighs-in-slaughter-has-a-lot-of-catching-up-to-do-against-fajardo

fajardo-slaughter-11613.jpg

AFTER seeing this year’s top overall pick Greg Slaughter play in his first tune-up game, Rain or Shine’s heavyweight center Beau Belga felt the Barangay Ginebra freshman center still has a lot of catching-up to do against Petron’s incoming sophomore big man June Mar Fajardo.

“Between June Mar and Greg, June Mar is a lot better on offense than Greg because he has a lot of post moves and he has a better outside shot,” Belga told Spin.ph after playing against the former Ateneo slotman in Rain or Shine's preseason game against Ginebra on Wednesday at the Ronac Gym.

After being a part of the Gilas Pilipinas national squad as a reserve big man, the wide-bodied Rain or Shine bruiser said he has seen first hand how good the 6-10 Fajardo has become towards the tailend of the PBA’s 38th season.

“Para sa akin, mas bilib pa rin ako sa bata kong si June Mar,” Belga said with a grin. “Though di pa natin alam, let’s see on opening day.”

Belga, who scored 16 points in Rain or Shine’s 90-95 tuneup game loss to Barangay Ginebra, played with his customary physical game against the taller but younger Slaughter.

Despite the obvious height disadvantage, the cerebral Belga scored successfully a few times down low against Slaughter, just to show he’s not intimidated in any way with the tallest player to join the league since seven-footer EJ Feihl.

“For my weight, kaya ko siya (Slaughter) i-one-on-one kasi ako naman, di ko tiniitingnan yung offense niya. Tinintingnan ko sa kanya yung depensa, though bago pa naman siya,” said the 27-year-old Belga, who recently signed a fresh three-year, P14 million contract extension with Rain or Shine.

Belga said every day, Slaughter will have to push himself hard, especially since a lot of PBA fans are expecting a lot from him, being this year’s top rookie pick.

“He has a lot to improve everyday. Kailangan mag-improve siya, iyun lang ang payo ko sa kanya, kailangan niya i-prove sa tao na worthy siya sa No. 1 pick pero good luck sa kanya siyempre,” Belga said.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file