Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

UST General Santos Campus

First outside Metro Manila: UST to open campus in Gensan in 2015

http://asiancorrespondent.com/114028/first-outside-metro-manila-ust-to-open-campus-in-gensan-in-2015/

“UST Gen-San is most likely to be a ‘carbon copy’ of UST España, depending on the final outcome of our planning committee’s study,” UST Rector Fr. Ernesto Arceo was quoted by the UST student publication The Varsitarian.

Esmaquiel said the proposed UST campus will cost the Dominican fathers some P100 million (US$2.3 million). And if granted their request, they could open the university as early as 2015.

http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2013/09/25/city-council-wants-ban-on-improvements-at-ust-gensan-lifted/

The resolution, which was passed by the council on joint sponsorship during its regular session on Tuesday, cited that the Manila-based university has been planning to embark on several multi-million peso projects in the city, among them the establishment of an agricultural research institution and a medical school.

It said the establishment of the UST campus will “spur economic growth and further development of the city.”


UST-Vice-Rector-Clarita-Carillo-621x412.jpg

http://spgensantos.ph/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/SPPR-NO.-2013-9294-UST.pdf

UST General Santos Courses offered (initial)

Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education (major in English, Science and Math)
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
Bachelor of Science in Accountancy
Bachelor of Science in Entertainment and Multimedia Computing
Bachelor of Science in in Tourism
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology
Bachelor of Sciences in:
Geodetics , Metallurgical and Materials Engineering and Chemical Engineering.
BS in Microbiology
BS in Chemistry

1392083_10151742965398576_338882000_n.jpg
UST Gen San Main Building? (not sure)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1664117
«1

Comments

  • acceberannaacceberanna PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ewan ko. Pero ayokong magkabranch ang UST :hmm:
  • news clip from TV Patrol GenSan

    1377262_196910727158210_1595688203_n.jpg
  • vicmesarvicmesar Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    It's long due for UST to engage in agricultural research, biotechnology.

    Balita ko before, may marine-related courses. Bat wala ata sa initial list of courses to be offered.

    UST must seriously consider offering marine-related courses.

    The Philippines, being archipelogic, is a good research-playing ground. In fact, this will give UST an opportunity to improve its standing worldwide because marine-related research is still in infancy.
  • who knows, they might consider it soon
  • vicmesarvicmesar Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    I read the GenSan Article.

    Grabe, pati University expansion damay sa politics.

    Wala talagang mangyayari sa pinas pag ganito.

    Antoninos are so typical local government officials in the Philippines.

    An investment of P200M (100m land cost; 100m for buildings etc.) is a BIG money in local governments' standard. It will definitely STIMULATE the local economy.

    Hay, kunsumi.
  • boypalaboyboypalaboy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Very modern ang design ng UST GenSan. Pero ha, ang ganda pa rin.

    Sana the officials would consider the more agricultural branches of science in their proposed courses.
  • lanibabelanibabe PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ewan ko. Pero ayokong magkabranch ang UST :hmm:

    Ako rin parang masaya na isa lang ang UST hehe
  • krikrikrikri 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    Yup marami rin may ayaw na magkaroon ng branches ust. kasi yun yung isa sa kina-unique ng ust. And pag sinabi mong ust, yun na yon. Manila. Period. Tapos di tulad ng ibang schools na may discrimination pag ibang branch, etc.
    Pero marami rin pabor, tulad ng ibang profs ko, kasi para rin to sa ikabubuti ng university, at mas maaachieve yung mga missions and visions nila.
  • Naked_SalvationNaked_Salvation Moderator PEx Moderator
    japchae wrote: »
    news clip from TV Patrol GenSan

    1377262_196910727158210_1595688203_n.jpg
    Kailan nabalita to sa TV Patrol?
  • vicmesarvicmesar Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Because of the distance from UST Manila, ok lang ang duplication of courses offered sa UST Mindanao; but, should not be in the case of UST Sta. Rosa.

    UST Sta. Rosa should be an EXTENSION of UST Manila and as Thomasians' research labs/facilities. OK ang plan na transfer dun ang paramedical and medical courses.

    I guess include na nila ang seminary, mas tahimik dun, good for contemplation.

    How i wish na ang Main Building will house the museum and the College of Conservatory Music mas maganda tignan at pakinggan, LITERALLY.

    Transfer na lang nila ang administration offices sa Seminary or sa Medicine Building.

    If the future College of Dentistry plans to be house in Manila, pwede ang present Medicine Building which can also serves as venue for future medical seminars/conferences.

    Sana lang separate na ang AB at Commerce pag open ng UST Sta. Rosa
  • I am all for UST to have a presence in Mindanao. For those who want UST in Manila to be alone in name and unique, the Dominicans could have named the campus in Mindanao from another Dominican saint. San Juan de Letran in Intramuros, Calamba and Bataan, Santa Catalina in Legarda, Aquinas school in San Juan, and Aquinas University in Legazpi City are all Dominican held. It could have been St Albertus Magnus University, or St. Raymond's University, or St Martin de Porres University.

    But then again, iba pa rin ang hatak ng "UST" kasi. And I'm all for development of Marine Science, Agriculture, Aquaculture, Forestry courses there.
  • Kailan nabalita to sa TV Patrol?

    Sa TV Patrol Mindanao ata ito at hindi sa Metro Manila and a few days ata ito since recent lang nag present ang UST sa GenSan City Council
  • pampi1010pampi1010 Orthos Paidion PEx Expert 🎖️
    vicmesar wrote: »
    Because of the distance from UST Manila, ok lang ang duplication of courses offered sa UST Mindanao; but, should not be in the case of UST Sta. Rosa.

    UST Sta. Rosa should be an EXTENSION of UST Manila and as Thomasians' research labs/facilities. OK ang plan na transfer dun ang paramedical and medical courses.

    I guess include na nila ang seminary, mas tahimik dun, good for contemplation.

    How i wish na ang Main Building will house the museum and the College of Conservatory Music mas maganda tignan at pakinggan, LITERALLY.

    Transfer na lang nila ang administration offices sa Seminary or sa Medicine Building.

    If the future College of Dentistry plans to be house in Manila, pwede ang present Medicine Building which can also serves as venue for future medical seminars/conferences.

    Sana lang separate na ang AB at Commerce pag open ng UST Sta. Rosa

    There is a plan to put up a College of Dentistry?

    About Medical courses going to Sta. Rosa, I'm not sure if it's the brightest idea. UST in Manila is also popularly considered for its medical, paramedical, and science courses. These courses are UST's lifeline. Make an exodus and you're practically killing the University and its programs.

    Take FEU and its Medicine program as examples. People say that FEU Med was as competitive as UST's and UP's... until it transferred to Fairview. I don't know exactly how the exodus hurt FEU and its Medicine program... just look where they are right now. An example too is La Salle's Medicine. Yes, they have a Doctor of Medicine program. It's almost unheard of because of its location... it's already below the equator.

    UST Medicine attracts very good students from UP-D, Ateneo, and La Salle Taft. UST Med will surely lose a big chunk of good recruits if they'll go rural. ASMPH in Pasig and FEU NRMF would become the lucky beneficiaries.

    And! I really doubt too if they will transfer the medicine program en masse to Sta. Rosa.. it would render the new hospital tower useless.

    UST Sta. Rosa and UST General Santos should exist to:
    1. Help spread the light. haha
    2. Decongest Manila campus in such a way that the academic identity of the present campus would not be affected. Make the population of the campus in Manila to 20,000 to 30,000.
  • boypalaboyboypalaboy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I really do hope that the ust gensan would be more of an agricultural / environmental oriented campus which "could rival" that of msu's (they have colleges for agriculture and fisheries).

    Ofcourse, keeping some of the courses that ust is known for.
  • pampi1010 wrote: »
    There is a plan to put up a College of Dentistry?

    About Medical courses going to Sta. Rosa, I'm not sure if it's the brightest idea. UST in Manila is also popularly considered for its medical, paramedical, and science courses. These courses are UST's lifeline. Make an exodus and you're practically killing the University and its programs.

    Take FEU and its Medicine program as examples. People say that FEU Med was as competitive as UST's and UP's... until it transferred to Fairview. I don't know exactly how the exodus hurt FEU and its Medicine program... just look where they are right now. An example too is La Salle's Medicine. Yes, they have a Doctor of Medicine program. It's almost unheard of because of its location... it's already below the equator.

    UST Medicine attracts very good students from UP-D, Ateneo, and La Salle Taft. UST Med will surely lose a big chunk of good recruits if they'll go rural. ASMPH in Pasig and FEU NRMF would become the lucky beneficiaries.

    And! I really doubt too if they will transfer the medicine program en masse to Sta. Rosa.. it would render the new hospital tower useless.

    UST Sta. Rosa and UST General Santos should exist to:
    1. Help spread the light. haha
    2. Decongest Manila campus in such a way that the academic identity of the present campus would not be affected. Make the population of the campus in Manila to 20,000 to 30,000.

    100% agree ;)
  • FORMER Proposal of UST General Santos Campus (2007)

    7135479473_a47bd35030_b.jpg

    6989395448_bdb01a6af4_b.jpg

    7135480439_840c643403_b.jpg

    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=811890&page=329
  • bahamut_zerobahamut_zero chinito na moreno PEx Expert 🎖️
    Ewan ko. Pero ayokong magkabranch ang UST :hmm:

    Same here. Medyo resistant pa ako sa ganyan. Pero for me, okay lang ang UST gen. san, tapos open ng courses dun na wala sa Manila. Pero mahirap yung may malapit sa manila.
  • LOOKING FOR FEMALE ROOMMATE :)

    Espa?a Grand
    5000/person (15000/room so tatlo tayo pero kung may kakilala ka go lang para apat tayo :))

    The room is a studio unit type, includes:
    *CR
    *bed frames with matress
    *aircondition
    *little balcony


    The building (Espa?a Grand) includes:
    *roofdeck
    *swimming pool
    *sauna
    *gym
    *study area
    *near UST and FEU
    *cctv
    *security guards
    *wifi
    *elevators
    *electric bill and water bill are directly from meralco (not commercial)

    If you have other questions, just contact me 09353180768 (TM) or [email protected]. Ako nga pala si Den Parafina, search niyo na lang sa FB, pwede niyo din ako iadd dun, magPM lang kayo para alam ko :)
    Dalawa na kami sa room, UST students, friendly **** kami at maeenjoy niyo ang stay niyo sa Espa?a Grand dahil sa dami ng amenities nila :)
  • lneliouchioralneliouchiora PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    pampi1010 wrote: »
    Take FEU and its Medicine program as examples. People say that FEU Med was as competitive as UST's and UP's... until it transferred to Fairview. I don't know exactly how the exodus hurt FEU and its Medicine program... just look where they are right now. An example too is La Salle's Medicine. Yes, they have a Doctor of Medicine program. It's almost unheard of because of its location... it's already below the equator.

    If by "La Salle", you mean DLSU, then no, we don't have a med program. The one in dasma is under DLS-HSI not DLSU.
  • Enough na ba yung let's say 200million for UST Gen San? Parang nasa 1B or more kung based sa first picture.
Sign In or Register to comment.