[MERGED] Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

help people!! fellow citizens..
I burp a lot. At first medyo okay lang, kasi nakakatuwa, pero malalala na ako!!!! if normal burps are 20 burps a day. I can sometimes burp more than 20 in 30 minutes..!!!
Let's not exaggerate, pero sabihin na nating 40 to 50 in half an hour!!
super asar na ako at gigil na gigil!! as in, sobrang istorbo na sa buhay ko ang burping na ito noh!!
If anybody can help me ... pls do so...
I'm taking medication pero feeling ko no effect.!! tagal!!
Super asar na talaga ako !!!

Comments

• IraIra Member PExer
    The air you expel when you burp comes from 2 sources: From swallowing, and as a result of normal food breakdown. The most common cause among the two would be too much swallowed air. Rapid eating or drinking, chewing gum, smoking, or ill-fitting dentures may cause a significant increase in the swallowed air, so be conscious of these habits and see if you can avoid them. If you take too much carbohydrates or soda, decrease your intake of these types of food. I guess your physician prescribed you either Cisapride (Prepulsid) or Dimethicone/Simethicone (which one is it and at what dose? I can't suggest an alternative without knowing what you're taking). These drugs will help relieve you of the burping, but the treatment for excessive belching requires also that you be aware of the cause and that you modify your lifestyle to avoid these causes.

If you are also experiencing other symptoms with your belching like bloating, abdominal pain and discomfort, easily getting full during meals, chest pain, and acid regurgitation, see a gastroenterologist. You need to have a workup to see whether you have an underlying problem like hyperacidity, gastroesophageal reflux disease, etc.
  • okidocokidoc Member PExer
    thanks for the info..
    I am taking chinese medicine.
    Do you know any gastroenterologist?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    erm...Chinese medicine?

You can try Prepulsid 5mg/tab, 1 tab 3x daily for a few days and see if it works. You can most probably get this over-the-counter. Also, modify your habits like I mentioned in my previous reply. If your symptoms don't improve, see a gastroenterologist. Which city is most convenient for you if you're consulting a physician?
  • okidocokidoc Member PExer
    I am staying in Manila.
    thanks really!
  • IraIra Member PExer
    If what I suggested don't work, you can try Dr. Amadeo Lustre. He's a gastroenterologist who holds clinics at Manila Doctors' Hospital. I'm not sure what his clinic hours are, but you can easily call up MaDoc's trunkline and ask.
  • adsyadsy Member PExer
    doc,

ako rin may reflux sabi ng doctor, pero hindi naman esophageal, yung muscle daw ng stomach ko connecting my intestine, pylorus yata. GERD pa rin ba ang tawag sa sakit ko? di ba pag GERD esophagus?

Oo nga pala yung doctor ko is a gastroenterologist at na-gastroscophy na ako, kung yun nga ang tawag dun sa pinasok na kamera sa stomach ko.

Nag re-research lang kasi ako sa sakit ko e, would be glad of any input. Thanks
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is not a problem with the esophagus, it's a problem which describes symptoms or tissue damage caused by the backflow of stomach acids into the esophagus. In most patients, GERD is caused by an incompetent lower esophageal (not pyloric) sphincter. Normally, the esophagus' pressure is enough so that the acid doesn't go back up. In GERD, gastric juices, instead of staying inside your stomach, backflow due to a weak esophageal sphincter pressure.

I'm not quite sure what your doctor diagnosed you with, because pyloric problems causing GERD is very rare. If it is a problem with your pyloric sphincter, it may probably be that your heartburn is caused by a pyloric channel ulcer--simply put, may ulcer ka sa pylorus mo.
  • adsyadsy Member PExer
    Salamat po, Doctora. hehehhehee gustong gusto ko masabi yan e. parang feeling ko artista rin ako, seriously, thank you Doc Ira.

Antagal din bago ako na-diagnose kasi e, basta yung pagkakaintindi ko sa doctor ko sabi niya mahina yung muscle ko controlling the flow of acid between the stomach and intestine.

Is pylorus a part of the stomach? sorry kung makulit.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    The pyloric sphincter is found between the stomach and the duodenum (small intestine). The pylorus acts to limit reflux from the duodenum back to the stomach. So patients with gastric ulcer or bile gastritis experience increased reflux of duodenal contents back into the stomach, apparently due to a pyloric defect.
  • NeoScytheNeoScythe Gundam Pilot PExer
    what do you mean by "heart burn?"
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Heartburn is a pain behind the breast bone, often described as ‘burning’ in quality. It's the same type of pain that the Filipino term "nangangasim ang sikmura" is describing, although heartburn would of course happen on the chest area. This occurs when small amounts of stomach acid rises up into the esophagus.
  • dreyesdreyes Member PExer
    Doc Ira,
    Ano po ba nag dahilan kung bakit lagi akong dumidighay? Kahit na di naman kumakain. Umiinom ako ng Motilium 3x a day for 2 weeks na pero di pa rin naaalis. Ano po ba ang mga pagkaing bawal kung mayroon akong GERD.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    It's still not known why people hiccup. Most of the hiccups are self-limiting, a Just avoid fatty foods, milk, chocolate, spearmint, peppermint, caffeine, citrus fruits and juices, tomato products, and pepper.
  • dreyesdreyes Member PExer
    Anong mga posibleng treatment nito? Mga medicine?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    You take antacids.
  • bluemoon80bluemoon80 Lurker PExer
    A week ago, I thought I was having a heart attack, but then my mom gave me an antacid and I felt better. Saka ko lang nalaman na heartburn lang pala yung naramdaman ko. Whew :D

Tama ba yung sabi, na to prevent another "heartburn attack" eh hindi dapat ako nagpapalipas ng gutom? (I tend to skip meals kasi)
  • VINCEsanityVINCEsanity Member PExer
    bluemoon-- dapat hndi ka nag papalipas ng gutom eh . syempre it matters.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Originally posted by bluemoon80
    Tama ba yung sabi, na to prevent another "heartburn attack" eh hindi dapat ako nagpapalipas ng gutom? (I tend to skip meals kasi)

Yup, although not all heartburns are caused by missed meals.
  • melrosegirlmelrosegirl Grey's Addict PExer
    how about ulcers? is there any other way of knowing if you have an ulcer aside from endoscopy? Usually ba, yun ang first test na gagawin ng doctors?

is it safe to take Zantac even without prescription? How many are you allowed to take per day?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Endoscopy is the procedure of choice for the diagnosis of gastric and duodenal ulcers, and other tests like labs, x-rays, etc., are poor substitutes. That's usually the only test asked by doctors who highly suspect ulcers.

You can take Zantac without a prescription, but for simple hyperacidity, ordinary antacids like Simeco, Maalox, Tums, etc., may be enough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file