Home PEx Lifestyle Style and Fashion
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers! 🎅

IT Professional going for Ear Piercing

Greetings,

I'm 21 and just started to work in a small IT company located in Makati.
When I was a teenager, I envy my classmates with their ear pierced. I wanted to have mine also but my parents wouldn't allow me so (especially my father - for career purposes). Now that I have graduated and have a work, should I get my ear pierced?

Having my ear pierced (left, right, or both) can have set-backs on my career and social appearance? I have been thinking about my this plan since I have my job last July 8. My girlfriend kinda support my idea (well of course, she might be against it). But if you're going to ask me, I am almost ready to have it (maybe my left ear pierced).

What are your opinions on this?

Comments

• Go ahead. Nobody cares much about piercings or tattoos anymore.

I am Director of R&D for a tech company. At one point almost all the guys in my R&D team had piercings. We have developers and QA guys with tattoos. I have had my ears pierced, but I don't wear earrings anymore.
  • brianpex wrote: »
    Go ahead. Nobody cares much about piercings or tattoos anymore.

It's good that ear piercing isn't an issue at your company. Anyways having ear piercing have any kind of hindrance for promotion?

Since you have your ear pierced? When did you have your's done? How long would the piercing earring be placed before you can safely remove it without having the piercing closed?

I was thinking of having mine done on this Friday. But would it be possible to have the earring removed on Monday?
  • Chrome12Chrome12 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Ok lang yan sir. I dont think ear piercing would be a hindrance in our career. At pag d mo na sinusuotan ng earring kusa naman magsasara at di naman halata. mas worry pa ako sa tattoo, im planning to have a tattoo sa forearm yung malapit sa wrist 6inch tattoo dun, pero naisip ko baka mahirapan lumipat ng work lalo na visible yung tattoo.
  • nanojava wrote: »
    Anyways having ear piercing have any kind of hindrance for promotion?

No, I never based my promotions on whether my team had/didn't have piercings. Of course if your boss or company is very conservative, you might have a problem. Most tech companies are pretty liberal. Do you have a dress code?
    I was thinking of having mine done on this Friday. But would it be possible to have the earring removed on Monday?

You probably want to keep it in for at least a week, taking it out only for cleaning.
    Do you have a dress code?
    We don't have a dress code. My boss prompted me not to wear formal attire on my first day (of course, out of excitement).
    You probably want to keep it in for at least a week, taking it out only for cleaning.
    This might be a problem. As far as I could remember one former employee here had his ear pierced. When he is inside the work premises he takes the earring of. If I am going to have it on Friday, removing the earring on work shifts will close the piercing?
  • Damn, son. Maybe you should obtain written permission from your boss and parents before getting your ear pierced. :rolleyes:
    Damn, son. Maybe you should obtain written permission from your boss and parents before getting your ear pierced. :rolleyes:
    Maybe so, I know my parents will get mad when I have my ear pierced but what's the point of them getting mad at me (career hindrance)? Maybe I should ask my boss regarding this matter. Should I ask him even I saw our former employee that he has ear pierced?
  • I think having your ears pierced or getting tattoos is fine as long as you don't have plans working abroad.

:winky: