Home PEx Campus Ateneo de Manila University
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

Fast Question Lang Po.

So I'm gonna start on making the application essay for the ACET. I have just some questions about it. How long should I write the essay. Which is better, handwritten (I have bad handwiritng btw) or computerized. And how many pages should suffice for it to be good. All help is gladly appreciated. :bashful:

At isa pa, kailangan pa ba lagyan ng pamagat?

Comments

• reshiramreshiram PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    darwin05 wrote: »
    So I'm gonna start on making the application essay for the ACET. I have just some questions about it. How long should I write the essay. Which is better, handwritten (I have bad handwiritng btw) or computerized. And how many pages should suffice for it to be good. All help is gladly appreciated. :bashful:

At isa pa, kailangan pa ba lagyan ng pamagat?

I think mas maganda ang computerized para mas legible. My essay was 2 pages long and yes it's computerized. Mind you, it should be printed on an A4 size paper. You know, we have standards.. haha.

Just a tip, if the topic is still about defining yourself through significant experiences or accomplishments, make sure you don't brag about your achievements and everything you've got. If you've gone through lots of failure, talk about how were you able to face and overcome it. And lastly, make sure you write in prose and in flawless grammar.

This essay together with the essay during the ACET itself, will be the basis of your placement in English classes in Ateneo. You may want to save money by not submitting mediocre essay.

to help you further, here is the famous application essay of Hugh Gallagher of the same topic when he was applying to NYU:

ARE THERE ANY SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD, OR ACCOMPLISHMENTS YOU HAVE REALIZED, THAT HAVE HELPED TO DEFINE YOU AS A PERSON?

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

good luck! :)
  • 2 pages, reshiram? Ang haba!
    Mine was barely half-a-page. Haha. :D

The point is, thread starter, whatever you write and however long it is, you have to come out from the words you're writing/have written. Good luck! ;)
  • i_bleed_bluei_bleed_blue Volleyball Vanguard
    butler wrote: »
    2 pages, reshiram? Ang haba!

The point is, thread starter, whatever you write and however long it is, you have to come out from the words you're writing/have written. Good luck! ;)

lalim... di ko ma-dig... hahahaha.. :p

never really took my essay seriously... i mean, i answered it as candidly as i could, but of course, grammar rules apply, hahaha...

good luck with your essay darwin05! :D
    2 pages, reshiram? Ang haba!

yah. haha. and i guess that's the reason why na-basic English ako. huhu. haha.
  • mannersmannersmannersmanners PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Pwede ba sa bahay gawin yunng essay para matulungan ng nanay ?my grammar sucks kasi

next year pa naman ako magaacet
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    swerte niyo nga sa bahay niyo pa ginagawa, nung kapanahunan ko during the exam yun ginagawa kaya handwritten at impromptu talaga. :D
    reshiram wrote: »
    yah. haha. and i guess that's the reason why na-basic English ako. huhu. haha.

Pwede ba sa bahay gawin yunng essay para matulungan ng nanay ?my grammar sucks kasi

• reshiram wrote: »
    I think mas maganda ang computerized para mas legible. My essay was 2 pages long and yes it's computerized. Mind you, it should be printed on an A4 size paper. You know, we have standards.. haha.

Just a tip, if the topic is still about defining yourself through significant experiences or accomplishments, make sure you don't brag about your achievements and everything you've got. If you've gone through lots of failure, talk about how were you able to face and overcome it. And lastly, make sure you write in prose and in flawless grammar.

This essay together with the essay during the ACET itself, will be the basis of your placement in English classes in Ateneo. You may want to save money by not submitting mediocre essay.

to help you further, here is the famous application essay of Hugh Gallagher of the same topic when he was applying to NYU:

ARE THERE ANY SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD, OR ACCOMPLISHMENTS YOU HAVE REALIZED, THAT HAVE HELPED TO DEFINE YOU AS A PERSON?

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

good luck! :)

You really never fail to impress me, Reshiram. XD

yeah. there are actually two essays required for the ACET. One is done at home and the other one is done during the ACET day itself. Last year's topics for the impromptu essay were about plagiarism and freedom depending on your batch. But, don't expect to see the same topics again this year as the topic changes every year depending on current issues and other controversial stuffs during the year.

darwin05 wrote: »
    You really never fail to impress me, Reshiram. XD
    how flattering. lol. na-impress ka na dun? wala nga ako sa kalingan ng mga nasa regular track. haha.
  • never really took my essay seriously... i mean, i answered it as candidly as i could, but of course, grammar rules apply, hahaha...

haha! I did that too. unfortunately, I wasn't as free-flowing with words then as I am today. so I barely filled half-a-page.

and by the time you reach the essay part of the entrance exam, your hand would already be tired from all the shading as well. haha :D
    reshiram wrote: »
    yeah. there are actually two essays required for the ACET. One is done at home and the other one is done during the ACET day itself. Last year's topics for the impromptu essay were about plagiarism and freedom depending on your batch. But, don't expect to see the same topics again this year as the topic changes every year depending on current issues and other controversial stuffs during the year.

Does the essay has an effect to my overall score in ACET?
  • elbonitoelbonito PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Does the essay has an effect to my overall score in ACET?

forrealz, i wrote mine on the deadline of application (i'm really bad with deadlines) it was handwritten, half a page, on yellow paper(I'M SERIOUS).

hint: it's not a big deal. your grammar is irrelevant because grammar-check and spell-check exists. the essay during ACET matters most because it's time pressured and knowledge-based (as opposed to aptitude based), so read up on issues. mine was about efren penaflorida and his deeds. thank god i'm a news junkie.

PS brush up on grammar you'll need it. :)
    PPS good luck getting into ADMU!
    it is the only other PH school i would study in ;)
    elbonito wrote: »
    forrealz, i wrote mine on the deadline of application (i'm really bad with deadlines) it was handwritten, half a page, on yellow paper(I'M SERIOUS).

hint: it's not a big deal. your grammar is irrelevant because grammar-check and spell-check exists. the essay during ACET matters most because it's time pressured and knowledge-based (as opposed to aptitude based), so read up on issues. mine was about efren penaflorida and his deeds. thank god i'm a news junkie.

PS brush up on grammar you'll need it. :)
    PPS good luck getting into ADMU!
    it is the only other PH school i would study in ;)
    "Does the essay has an effect to my overall score in ACET?"

Is my grammar and punctuation correct ?
  • i_bleed_bluei_bleed_blue Volleyball Vanguard
    "Does the essay has an effect to my overall score in ACET?"

Is my grammar and punctuation correct ?

was restraining myself from being a grammar nazi, but i think you're trying to point it out so anyway, SVA lang naman ang mali... :lol:
    was restraining myself from being a grammar nazi, but i think you're trying to point it out so anyway, SVA lang naman ang mali... :lol:

What it should be? Plss correct :) me
  • What it should be? Plss correct :) me

Number one, spell things out. It's "Please" not "Plss."
    The only time it's acceptable to use the shortcut "pls" is when you're trying to save character space on a text message. Everywhere else, you're expected to spell it out.\

Number two, it's "What should it be?," but even then, it would be wrong.
    I think what you meant was "How should I have said it?" or something the likes of.
    Or, "How was it wrong?" would work too.

That said, i_bleed_blue was probably referring to your "Is my grammar and punctuation correct?" question.
    It should have been "Is my grammar correct? How about my punctuation?"
    But if we bring tenses into the fold, it would be better to ask:
    "Was my grammar correct?" and so on.

mannersmanners, if you don't mind, what score do you usually get for your English subject?

mannersmanners, if you don't mind, what score do you usually get for your English subject?
    I'm from Science HS, so every time my score is 85-86(pasang awa)

How about "Does the essay has an effect to my overall score in ACET?" is it correct?
  • JSmooveJSmoove PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    85-86 is not bad. Although you need to read more and watch more english films. :)
  • elbonitoelbonito PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Does the essay have an effect on my overall score?"
  • I agree with JSmoove, mannersmanners. You need to read more and watch more. It helps.