Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance
Discuss your bets and predictions on who will be the next Miss Universe. 👑

Outstanding balance in GLOBE amounting to 90,000Php! HELP?

It was my first time traveling abroad so I really ****-ed up my roaming charges. I pay my bill (1799Php) every month but I was really shocked to see my present bill amounting to 90,000Php!! I immediately called the hotline and terminated my line to avoid the bill adding up.

My questions are:

1.) How am I supposed to pay it?
2.) Actually, I am not really willing to pay it. But if ever, what could be the worse thing that can happen to me? I know that I will be blacklisted by Globe, but aside from that? Are there any things that can happen? Such as, to be denied of a visa whenever I travel abroad, to be put in jail for "estafa"?
3.) Will it affect my employment? Especially when I am applying for a job?
4.) Will it affect my bank loans? Credit card? Etc.?

Please help me! :(

Comments

• qazwsxedcrfvtgbqazwsxedcrfvtgb Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Wow! That's huge amount. What happened? Did you use your data plan while you were travelling abroad?

Well, I too have a similar case. Last 2008, I applied for a smartbro 999 plan (with 2 year lock-in period). The first few months went pretty well until the 6th or 7th month where the connection was really poor. I called Smart and escalated my problem to the CSR. To cut the story short, due to their poor customer service and unresolved poor connection, I didn't pay my monthly plan for 3 months, and started to receive demand letters from the collection agency.

1.) How am I supposed to pay it? Well in my case, I didn't pay for it. But you may try negotiating the outstanding balance with Globe.

2.) Actually, I am not really willing to pay it. But if ever, what could be the worse thing that can happen to me? I know that I will be blacklisted by Globe, but aside from that? Are there any things that can happen? Such as, to be denied of a visa whenever I travel abroad, to be put in jail for "estafa"? - Yes you will be blacklisted by Globe. Though I still haven't tried it with Smart, I have this strong feeling that I will get denied. My visas weren't denied by the embassies and they can't put you to jail since there's no law for that (except when issuing NSF checks). The worst thing I think would be receiving demand letters from the collection agency.

3.) Will it affect my employment? Especially when I am applying for a job? For me, it didn't.
    4.) Will it affect my bank loans? Credit card? Etc.? Again, for me, it didn't.

Hope this helps.
  • chiquilalachiquilala PEx Rookie ⭐
    Wow! That's huge amount. What happened? Did you use your data plan while you were travelling abroad?

Well, I too have a similar case. Last 2008, I applied for a smartbro 999 plan (with 2 year lock-in period). The first few months went pretty well until the 6th or 7th month where the connection was really poor. I called Smart and escalated my problem to the CSR. To cut the story short, due to their poor customer service and unresolved poor connection, I didn't pay my monthly plan for 3 months, and started to receive demand letters from the collection agency.

1.) How am I supposed to pay it? Well in my case, I didn't pay for it. But you may try negotiating the outstanding balance with Globe.

2.) Actually, I am not really willing to pay it. But if ever, what could be the worse thing that can happen to me? I know that I will be blacklisted by Globe, but aside from that? Are there any things that can happen? Such as, to be denied of a visa whenever I travel abroad, to be put in jail for "estafa"? - Yes you will be blacklisted by Globe. Though I still haven't tried it with Smart, I have this strong feeling that I will get denied. My visas weren't denied by the embassies and they can't put you to jail since there's no law for that (except when issuing NSF checks). The worst thing I think would be receiving demand letters from the collection agency.

3.) Will it affect my employment? Especially when I am applying for a job? For me, it didn't.
    4.) Will it affect my bank loans? Credit card? Etc.? Again, for me, it didn't.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I used my data plan but not all the time. I make sure I only activate my mobile internet when I use it and throughout my stay (only 3 days), I only used mobile internet for like 10-20 minutes all in all.

So you haven't paid your charges until now? Where do they send demand letters and how frequent? How do you manage when you receive one?
    chiquilala wrote: »
    Yes, I used my data plan but not all the time. I make sure I only activate my mobile internet when I use it and throughout my stay (only 3 days), I only used mobile internet for like 10-20 minutes all in all.

So you haven't paid your charges until now? Where do they send demand letters and how frequent? How do you manage when you receive one?

So you haven't paid your charges until now? - No. As in ZERO. hahaha It's been six years already since the incident.
    Where do they send demand letters and how frequent? - At my residential address. I can't remember exactly as to how frequent. But as far as I can remember, I received around 5 demand letters.
    How do you manage when you receive one? - I simply ignore it. At first, I was really paranoid as to how it could affect my credit history and my NBI clearance (requirement for taking the board exam). hehe
    So you haven't paid your charges until now? - No. As in ZERO. hahaha It's been six years already since the incident.
    Where do they send demand letters and how frequent? - At my residential address. I can't remember exactly as to how frequent. But as far as I can remember, I received around 5 demand letters.
    How do you manage when you receive one? - I simply ignore it. At first, I was really paranoid as to how it could affect my credit history and my NBI clearance (requirement for taking the board exam). hehe

So were you still issued a clearance?

What do you suggest I do? Pay it or ignore it? Lol.
  • What is in the bill? Like how much is your data charges for roaming. I think that's absurd if like you only use it for 10-20 mins. I have a friend with a similar case, oh not so similar because he used it here and downloaded ***** through his phone. But i do think it is best to talk to Globe CSR and ask them how come you end up with 90k worth of bill.
    So were you still issued a clearance?

What do you suggest I do? Pay it or ignore it? Lol.

No, I didn't any receive any clearance from them. I think it's not even necessary for me to get one.

Well I suggest you try negotiating the outstanding balance with them first. You may need to explain your side, and bargain for a reasonable amount. hehe
    No, I didn't any receive any clearance from them. I think it's not even necessary for me to get one.

Well I suggest you try negotiating the outstanding balance with them first. You may need to explain your side, and bargain for a reasonable amount. hehe

No, I mean, by NBI? Were you cleared from NBI despite your case with Globe?

Hmm, bargain for a reasonable amount? Is it even possible? If not, do I really have to pay? :(
    128153 wrote: »
    What is in the bill? Like how much is your data charges for roaming. I think that's absurd if like you only use it for 10-20 mins. I have a friend with a similar case, oh not so similar because he used it here and downloaded ***** through his phone. But i do think it is best to talk to Globe CSR and ask them how come you end up with 90k worth of bill.

But I am scared it won't work out :(
  • Based from other people it worked for them. :)

May i know what is indicated in your bill? The charges and all. Will try to help you (eg. How many kb were used, minutes, texts abroad. Most likely its indicated there) but nevertheless if you do not intend to pay for it, i think its fine. The consequence that i can think of right now is you won't be able to apply a line with globe anymore. (Not sure how long)

Cheer up. :)
    128153 wrote: »
    Based from other people it worked for them. :)

May i know what is indicated in your bill? The charges and all. Will try to help you (eg. How many kb were used, minutes, texts abroad. Most likely its indicated there) but nevertheless if you do not intend to pay for it, i think its fine. The consequence that i can think of right now is you won't be able to apply a line with globe anymore. (Not sure how long)

Cheer up. :)

All in all, my mobile internet charges alone amount to 50,000++. Around 70,000 kb. :eek:

I really don't know their charge/kb is, but I think Php50K is too much!! And to think, I monitor my phone's mobile internet very carefully. I never left my mobile internet on when I was not using it.

Please help me on this... :(

Also, do you mean I can't apply for a line with Globe for a certain time only? Not for life? Because I have a friend who had the same problem of not being able to pay his balance, but his balance was much lesser than my present balance (Php10,000 only I think?). After 2 years, he applied for a line again and his application was approved.

Another thing, I terminated the line despite not reaching the 2-year contract yet, I was afraid that the charges might go up. I have another line which I am currently using, also registered under my name. Do you think this line of mine will also be deactivated if I won't pay the outstanding balance of my other line (which is the Php90,000)?
  • Wow! That's 70 mb if i am not mistaken. If you only use 15-20 mins per day for three days, i don't think you'd be able to reach 70 mb.

Where did you go? I checked some rates of the other countries here are some:

Singapore - $8 - $11

Hongkong - $6 - $13

China - $8 - $16

Indonesia - $5 - $11

Malaysia - $12.14

Japan - $19.47

Korea - $9.48

Thailand - $10 - $18

Vietnam - $4 - $10

Subject to 15 percent operator surcharge and 10 percent overseas tax.

I think you can apply for a postpaid plan again. I am not sure lang how long will you have to wait. And i don't know if it is okay if you maintain an account with them if you don't want to pay the 90k. Might as well cut it also.

Regarding the termination, aside from that 90k, you will be billed the amount of the handset you got for free. It is in the contract. If you terminate it less than 12 months into the contract, you have to pay the full price of the unit, if it is more than 12 months, you have to pay half the price of the handset.

Hope this one helps. :)
    If the number of kb used is really stated in the billing statement, how can I contest my claim against Globe that I was really monitoring my use of the internet? How do others do it since it is really indicated on the bill?

Actually, the 90k already covers the termination fee, which amounted to Php6K. So, my roaming charges was actually Php84K, still BIG and unbelievable. :(

Thanks for your help. I really have no plan to pay for it in the first place. 90K could already sustain me for 9 months. But I guess, I want to hear more stories like mine. People who faced the same bill-shock moment and did not also pay.
    No, I mean, by NBI? Were you cleared from NBI despite your case with Globe?

Hmm, bargain for a reasonable amount? Is it even possible? If not, do I really have to pay? :(

Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, I was cleared by NBI, no cases whatsoever. hehe
  • try to dispute the bill. hindi porke chinarge sayo babayaran mo nalang.
    may 30 days period para i scutinized ang bill and file dispute kung may nakita ka na hindi tama sa billings mo
    can't the globe show the time of access?
    pero sabagay, baka kasi mo hindi na turn off yung internet connection ng mobile phone mo.

i think Japan pinakamahal with $19.47 per MB.Kung i compute Php71.5K all in roaming data charge.
    next time bili ka na lang ng sim sa country na pupuntahan mo kung mag access ka sa internet.
  • Hi, we have the same situation. What happened to your account? Did you pay it? Please let me know.
  • Hi, we have the same situation. What happened to your account? Did you pay it? Please let me know.

it happened to me before, but i had it reversed. i went to the globe store and informed them regarding the questionable charges.

next time, when you travel abroad, make a travel advisory, and have globe temporarily turn off your cellular data in their system so that you won't be charged with internet use abroad.
  • off nyo internet always pag nasa abroad
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Note that the original post was written almost two years ago. Globe now offers data roaming for P599 a day while you are abroad (over 80 countries). If you are careful and choose the correct roaming partner when you turn on your phone upon arrival at the foreign country, you will be billed the daily rate, and not the per GB or per minute data charges, avoiding bill shock altogether.
  • Same Situation Here. May I Got 79,000Php Outstanding Balance!! Na shock ako kasi tinawagan ako ng Globe kanina and then sinabi saakin na kailangan ko daw i-settle *** balance na un or accept the consequences na gagawin nila saakin. Gusto ko malaman kung anong mga consequences ang mang yayari saakin dahil hindi ko sinunod *** contract ng 2 Years and 6 Months. Kung sino man po makakabasa neto pede po ba ako humingi ng tulong kasi binigyan ako ng due until monday daw if ever na hindi ko daw mabayaran *** balance ko i-sesend na daw nila *** mga papers hindi ko naman alam kung anong mga naka sulat dun. Please Guys Help me!
  • At the same time hindi ko alam kung saan ako kukuha ng ganung kalaking pera na pinapabayaran nila. Please guys let me know what happen. If hindi ko sila bayaran?