Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

How do you like your steak?

Hey Pexers!

How do you like your steak? I like mine Medium Gusto ko sana i try yung Medium Rare kaso baka masayang pera ko and hindi ko maapreciate.. na try nyo na ba yung Rare or Blue?

Comments

• F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Rookie ⭐
    Usually medium rare or medium. Seldom, rare or well.

I like medium rare or rare when you have fluid sauce, like Worcestershire. It adds to the wetness and juiciness. Super soft.

Sometimes you can even make a sandwich with fresh seared baguette mix with grilled sweet onions cut up rare steak slices and dip it in au jus,

Grill Sergeant
  • Rare to medium rare. Anything more than that is too done and tastes like cardboard.
  • jade_roswelljade_roswell PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Medium rare with A1 sauce, grilled onions, rice pilaf, mmmmmmmm.
  • michymichymoomichymichymoo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Medium Rare. :D
  • Nietono_no_ShanaNietono_no_Shana PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Medium to medium well done, I try to avoid using any steak sauce as much as possible.
  • JerryCordilleraJerryCordillera PEx Rookie ⭐
    medium well to well done, without the sauce as i like to savor all the locked juices inside. :drool:
  • ^ don't you find when the meat gets to the well done stage the juices are all gone? As in parang cardboard na? Tough and dry?
  • cretinous00cretinous00 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    not when it's marbled. actually dried out beef is quite palatable.

anyway, you guys have to qualify as to what kind of cut. most people (definitely NOT me) prefer rib eye because of the marbling. you can cook rib eye to medium or close to well done to render out excess fat.

my personal favorite is the new york cut or strip loin (the bigger half on those t-bones and porterhouses.) now those cuts aren't as marbled as rib eye. they're tough but tasty. and they can be eaten rare.
  • Medium or medium rare. The more marbling, the rarer :D
  • Maybe I'm just not used to it. Pero anything beyond medium I find dry and tasteless. If I'm not confident about the cook's ability, I ask for rare so I can get a medium rare steak at least.

As for parts, I usually get porterhouse steak which I think is the Australian counterpart of your strip steak or eye fillet.

And no sauce.
    not when it's marbled. actually dried out beef is quite palatable.

anyway, you guys have to qualify as to what kind of cut. most people (definitely NOT me) prefer rib eye because of the marbling. you can cook rib eye to medium or close to well done to render out excess fat.

my personal favorite is the new york cut or strip loin (the bigger half on those t-bones and porterhouses.) now those cuts aren't as marbled as rib eye. they're tough but tasty. and they can be eaten rare.
  • Medium Rare to Medium, though I also like my steak a bit crusty.

As for the sauce, brown sauce or a reduccion is fine. :)
  • JerryCordilleraJerryCordillera PEx Rookie ⭐
    ^ don't you find when the meat gets to the well done stage the juices are all gone? As in parang cardboard na? Tough and dry?

not at all. maybe it depends like that i experienced from applebees. sobrang well done to the point na it's tough na; the juice was still there, though.
  • gooseberrygooseberry 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    It depends on the cut. Most of the time I like it a little charred. Medium well.

I like that taste.
  • JobyBryant24JobyBryant24 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Medium Rare. *okay*
  • Medium Rare to Medium. Taste and texture is just about right for me :)
  • For the cut, Ribeye cap is the absolute best. Then Ribeye or onglet depending on my mood. I tend to veer away from porterhouses or T-bones since it's very rare for a restaurant to be able to cook 2 different steaks (tenderloin and strip) properly at the same time. Peter Luger has this down to a science.

Ribeyes I prefer medium rare, extra char. I dislike rare because a lot of the inter-muscular fat stays cold and congealed, a huge flavor boost can be had from the melting fat when you get to medium rare temp ranges. Anything past medium and I'd rather be eating P50 tapa from the carinderia down the street.

If I'm cooking the steak myself, I like to salt 2 days in advance then employ the low and slow oven then sear technique, or short sous-vide then sear. A few pats of butter to finish in the cast iron skillet, if I'm not using the Weber. No marinade, no sauce, just Maldon on the side. Plus creamed spinach or a gratin and crispy roasted potatoes or a loaded baked potato . People like french onion soup to start but I personally like to contrast with something with more zing like a creamy tomato soup.

Just wish we could get properly dry aged beef here. Also makes me sad to still be seeing half-inch thick slices of pre-packaged steak
  • My bf loves steak and I made one for him earlier. It looks decent enough, though he likes his medium rare, I think medium well nagawa ko. I made it with basil mashed potatoes.
  • makemebelievemakemebelieve PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    medium well :drool:
  • keoboikeoboi PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    medium rare + a glass of red wine :D
  • c_brainc_brain PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    medium rare to medium. anything more is like chewing cardboard.