Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Writing Lyrics, Short Stories, Blogs

ermonskiermonski PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Hi,

I'm currently on an art rage, I'm currently finding new ways to express what's on my mind on newer outlets.

As for writing lyrics, I'm a musician (guitarist). I cover songs a lot, but I decided to challenge myself in writing songs, the main challenge though is the lyrics. I can't seem to find a good topic or inspiration to write a song about.

As for short stories, I also like to draw and make comic strips back in highschool and college (no particular plot, I make 'em just for the heck of it). Though for now I'm trying to come up with superhero fanart and some original material. I can draw, but I can't write a good cohesive storyline.

any of you here who were stuck in a rut back then who can help me out? :D

Comments

• Ah, its good to find someone like you who struggles (in a good way) to be inspired! I am in the same situation as of the moment. I used to write short stories and paint but since I seem to be imprisoned by this fast paced life I choose to have, none of it works for me now.

I, most of the time wonder how to get the "spice" back. The passion was gone but I am also struggling most of the time to have the zest back. I remember going out a lot before (art exhibits, writing workshops, etc) and I get to be totally inspired.

People's stories inspires me a lot, maybe thats a good way to start. Immerse yourself with a lot of different types of people, listen to their stories, to their body language, study their faces, how they react, how they tell their stories.

I dont really know if I made sense at all, I hope I did. :P We can exchange stories if you want. I totally find awesome conversations amusing at all times. :)
  • JameauxJameaux PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sharing...

In writing songs, my references are usually my personal life experiences. But that doesn't end there. I put twists in these actual experiences in order to make it more interesting. Write the things you want to write. Do not limit yourself just because you want to please other people. When you start thinking and being conscious about your audience, there's a tendency you would get discouraged. Get inspiration from other people as well and infuse it to your own. Some songs I've written I get from dreams. Doesn't matter if its a dream I woke up onto or its a daydream. Carry a notebook every time. Save that good line or a nice sounding rhyme and get back to it when you have time.

Put colors on simple stories. In short, just use your imagination. :)

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
  • I haven't written a poem in awhile
    but I've been blogging instead
    and usually I get the inspiration from quotes and ideas on vlogs, movie lines and TV show scenes or lines that are memorable to me.

I also agree with the post above dreams or even daydreams is also a good start to get inspiration from.
  • ermonskiermonski PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jameaux wrote: »
    Sharing...

In writing songs, my references are usually my personal life experiences. But that doesn't end there. I put twists in these actual experiences in order to make it more interesting. Write the things you want to write. Do not limit yourself just because you want to please other people. When you start thinking and being conscious about your audience, there's a tendency you would get discouraged. Get inspiration from other people as well and infuse it to your own. Some songs I've written I get from dreams. Doesn't matter if its a dream I woke up onto or its a daydream. Carry a notebook every time. Save that good line or a nice sounding rhyme and get back to it when you have time.

Put colors on simple stories. In short, just use your imagination. :)

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Yeah I learned to "disregard" the audience to a certain extent when our band was still active, gives us more fulfillment (but of course, from a band perspective, you have to give back to the people who supported you :D). I started to follow your advice regarding carrying a notebook. Though I type things in my phone whenever I hear passers-by or hearing other peoples' conversations for quotes or subjects that I can work on, so far it's been helpful! Thanks for that! :)

It's much better when you want to come back to something, at least i won't always go back to scratch when I conceptualize. :)
    Ah, its good to find someone like you who struggles (in a good way) to be inspired! I am in the same situation as of the moment. I used to write short stories and paint but since I seem to be imprisoned by this fast paced life I choose to have, none of it works for me now.

I, most of the time wonder how to get the "spice" back. The passion was gone but I am also struggling most of the time to have the zest back. I remember going out a lot before (art exhibits, writing workshops, etc) and I get to be totally inspired.

People's stories inspires me a lot, maybe thats a good way to start. Immerse yourself with a lot of different types of people, listen to their stories, to their body language, study their faces, how they react, how they tell their stories.

I dont really know if I made sense at all, I hope I did. :P We can exchange stories if you want. I totally find awesome conversations amusing at all times. :)

I feel for you about being in a fast-paced world. Especially if you're a young professional where weekdays are mostly eat-work-sleep and your weekends are drink-drink-sleep lol. Currently I read a lot of essays on some of my books from college and a new book I bought (Philosophy and Metallica), so I might get some insight or some topics I can start working on. People-watching is a good idea though, but I'll have to do it without getting creepy lol. And yes, I'm free to exchange stories with anyone. :D I find exchanging stories the best method since you get to see different sides of the subject, depending on the point of view of the people you're talking to. Might help if you want to bring new insights to your view of the world. :)

thanks guys! I'll let you know once I got something (a story, comic/artwork, a song)

:D
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Rookie ⭐
    I tried writing lyrics, it's definitely different than poetry. Don't necessarily need deep philosophical allegories, but you definitely need body and flow. I think it's definitely harder to write lyrics. IMHO. I think when you write songs you think about the whole body/form before you fill it it in with words.

Philosophy and Metallica?,

Dangerous Combination
  • X_like_MalcolmX_like_Malcolm PEx Rookie ⭐
    When you write a song, make sure you have enough inspiration to be able to write the right words and set the theme. But start first at the melody, then lyrics.
    As long as the words have meaning, it doesn't matter if it comes first or second.

I hate it when you read interviews of artist and they say "I doesn't really mean anything. It could mean anything for anyone."

Like...so you wrote a bunch of babble together? I could be drunk write a bunch of words and if I slap it on some good tunes it's gonna make a song.

It's funny since a lot of artist really 1. don't write their songs 2. make songs like that, all these songs that hold so much meaning to people are probably just written when someone is drunk in the bathroom having diarrhea,

Theme Songs
    @TS - To expound what FA said... a good melody is as equally important as the lyrics in making a song. For me, these two should work hand in hand like the lyrics should fit the meter and the flow of melody. This is what make songs easy for the ears.

I usually start the melody with some popular chord progression in the key of G. I believe you understand this as you were posting in the Guitar threads. Once I'm satisfied with tweaking the chords a bit to make it sound differently than the reference, I try some hums or scat to follow the sound of the guitar chords. If you've been listening to a lot of music, it'll really help to come up with a tune. Those that have clear and full body. Using a capo is highly recommended.

Lyrics can be easily manipulated or changed to fit the hums you made up. In a four-meter for example, you want to turn a three-syllable phrase into four syllables:

Go and fly <- original 3-syllable
    Go and "fly-yee" <- turned to 4-syllable

Notice that fly can be pronounced as fly-yee to make it fit.

I decided to post this as I recently encountered an artist block and saw this thread. Sometimes you might get frustrated because your lyrics won't match your melody. That you don't want to drop off either of the two because you think nothing else is much better. Remember that it is always manageable. There's always a way to make them work, and modifying it or changing it completely is not a bad idea. Sometimes when the block hits you, just simply take a break and get back to it once you get inspired again.
  • -gelay--gelay- PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    As long as the words have meaning, it doesn't matter if it comes first or second.

I hate it when you read interviews of artist and they say "I doesn't really mean anything. It could mean anything for anyone."

Like...so you wrote a bunch of babble together? I could be drunk write a bunch of words and if I slap it on some good tunes it's gonna make a song.

It's funny since a lot of artist really 1. don't write their songs 2. make songs like that, all these songs that hold so much meaning to people are probably just written when someone is drunk in the bathroom having diarrhea,

Theme Songs

:bop: :lol:

that is why i'm more of a melody person. :lol:
    It really piss me off when I read interviews like that. You'd be surprised how many bands say like Coldplay would say, "Well it doesn't really have any meaning, we leave it out to fans." You're like so...you wrote a melody and just filled it out with gibberish that rhyme? WTF?

Kings of Leon, love the fcking band, but some of their songs for example on some of their interviews were like "Yeah well we were drunk and were having argument. We sat down and jammed out and this song came out." The song in itself listening to it seemed very deep, yet in reality it was written out of nowhere from drunkenness. :glee:

Imagine how many love songs out there were written by coked out artist just strumming their guitars,

:glee:
  • ermonskiermonski PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    when you mentioned the bathroom thing, it reminded me of how Pepe Smith wrote the song "Himig Natin".

for the random lyric babble thing, some wrote it intentionally like when The Beatles went into the Sgt. Pepper era, when they realized some professors at the academe has been analyzing their songs, so they wrote trippy stuff to confuse them. lol
    I have to share this. I notice I get very creative when in a dreamy state. Yung tipong sobrang inaantok ako pero buhay pa rin yung utak ko. Na kahit pilitin kong matulog hindi pa rin ako makatulog. I take advantage of this to write songs. I get out of bed, grab my guitar and pen and start working on a theme. Grabe ang nabibigay na flow of ideas sa state na ito.

I guess this is similar to those artists who use drugs to get that certain kind of high. Yung parang lumulutang ka. Although I don't want to try that 'cause I can ignore sleep and enter the dreamy mode. Try mo baka gumana sa yo. Iba ang dating nya sa akin kumpara sa gagawa lang ako ng kanta on a normal mode. Mas nagiging melodic yung tunog na nagagawa ko which can be an easy reflection of emotions at mas nagiging malawak ang vocabulary ko para sa lyric writing. Hindi rin ako nagiging prone sa pagiging self-correcting which is something that we need to avoid in order to explore more ideas.
    Not very technical but something that I consider a great value. Just a little peek of how a successful artist makes his songs:

http://jasonmraz.com/journal/2013/how-do-you-know-when-a-song-is-done/
    ^Naks fan of classical Persian poetry pala si Mraz huh,

"Rum, Hafiz...",

Omar Khayyam
    ^

Pano mo nasabi? Di ko nabasa yun ah. :lol:

- - -
    I want to get back to ask ermonski to try making a song when he feels very sleepy. Try to force yourself to get past that sleepiness that you feel like floating. I have tried observing for awhile now and it really works. It is so easy for me to come up with nice sounding melodies (at least in my opinion) using very simple chord progressions.