Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

How did you get your love for reading?

my father and tita love reading books as well. they have a lot of books. i borrowed.
i was so interested in the lost land of Atlantis when i was mga 10 years old and they have this big hard bound book in which there is a detailed article about atlantis by plato, pati na rin yung land of gold. ayun pinagbabasa ko. haha!
i love non-fictional mysteries, like nessie, yung atlantis, etc. as in i dig those a lot.
my name kasi comes from the greek mythology, at first i'll just look in the dictionary and see the very tiny description about my name, then my dad gave me yung homer's greek mythology and i read everything kung saan lalabas yung pangalan ko. mga around same age din yun, mga 9 din. :bungi:

i guess back then, girls of my age read the nancy drew, sweet valley high, the disney stories, etc. i did read the disney stories pero so-so lang sila. what really drew me in are the encyclopedias. if there's a book that will define my childhood reading, it's Almanac of the Uncanny and this other book na i forgot the name, parang Last Mysteries of the Earth or something to that effect. :lol:

Comments

• F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Rookie ⭐
    First books I've read I was probably five and they were old science books. These were Filipino college books that were soft cover and looked like what would be soft cover novel, unlike the laminated hardcover textbooks of today.

I probably didn't understand most of it, but there were a lot of pictures :glee:

That Was My First Reading Material
  • I got into reading books back in college during summer vacation. I was bored out of my mind and decided to rummage through a living room closet to see what I could find. I saw a big cardboard box and opened it. The box contained all my sister's books which she stored away when she went to college. I can't remember which book I first read, it's either Stephen King's The Gunslinger or one of Anne Rice's Vampire books. Whichever it was, I picked up that book, looked at the cover, decided to read ... and got hooked on reading ever since. :)
  • You've got awesome stories! You can say i'm over reacting, but your stories made me happy. I find reading so much pleasurable and I'm happy I share the same sentiments with you guys.

I can't exactly remember when or how old I was when I started reading. I just remember loving the Ladybird books my parents bought me when I was a very young girl. I fell in love with "The Princess and the Pea" and "The Three Little Pigs" as soon as I started reading them.

I also can remember growing up seeing a lot of books at home which my grandfather collected. My graps love to read and I have seen all sorts of books from history to psychology books. I kept on reading and reading that time, even if I dont understand it simply because I love the sound of the flipping pages and the smell of the paper. :) Got addicted since, and still living the addiction till now. :)
  • JameauxJameaux PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I remember the very first book I've finished reading is the one entitled "My Book of Bible Stories". It's covered in golden yellow and was written in both English and our dialect. I've read it about five times when I was a kid.

There were so many books in our library at home. Most of which are about the church and religion. I read everything including those Tagalog pocketbooks that my sister borrows from her classmates and poured tears on my pillow before going to sleep. :lol:
  • java_chiqjava_chiq PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Learned to read via...funny komiks! I think that was back when I was 4 :D

Got hooked to nancy drew, hardy boys & sweet valley high @ 8.
  • java_chiq wrote: »
    Learned to read via...funny komiks! I think that was back when I was 4 :D

Got hooked to nancy drew, hardy boys & sweet valley high @ 8.

Love Hardy Boys and Sweet Valley! Those are basically my reading materials back in high school. :D
  • My love for reading started when an uncle gave me a illustrated set of Bible stories. By the time I was five, a good friend of the family came home from a trip abroad and gave me the abridged versions of Oliver Twist, Mutiny on HMS Bounty and a Tale of Two Cities. I have an aunt who loves to read romances. One time, I was looking at her books, which was off limits to a 7-year old, btw, I saw a dog-eared copy of Harold Robbins. My aunt didn't know that I've been taking it out of her "secret" shelf and reading it when she wasn't around. :D Back in high school, I started reading lots of Sidney Sheldon, Robert Ludlum, Hardy Boys and Sweet Valley. I've been reading ever since.
  • anima9anima9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I started with children's books. My parents bought me volumes of books for children called "CHILDCRAFT". I read and reread a few books mainly on science, math, and stories.

But what really started my penchant for reading is the unabridged novel of Les Miserables. It wasn't my first novel (my first was Black Beauty) but it was the novel for me. Fast forwards, I now have a book with me 365 days a year.
  • It was one week before summer of my first year in college when I decided to prepare and schedule things to do for the long break. Since I have friends who like reading, I asked one to suggest me a good book to read. The Mortal Instruments. I read the book and in no time, I was already buying the subsequent books of the series. Then I began reading other books and there.
  • nosferatujoenosferatujoe PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    katulad din ng iba, nagsimula akong magbasa dahil sa Funny Komiks, Bata Batuta, Kick Fighter et al. iniipit ko pa ang baon ko noon para lang makabili ng mga komiks na 'yan. Kick Fighter (Wednesday), Bata Batuta (Thursday), Funny Komiks (Friday).
  • I acquired my love for reading back in Grade 5. Our teacher in Reading class required us to make a book report every week by reading Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books in the library. I really enjoyed reading those books since I felt that I was with Nancy Drew while she was solving the mysteries. :) Since then, I've been saving up my allowance to buy books when I got to high school.
  • I was in the library too often when I was in Grade 2, so I picked up a lot of encyclopedias and Disney's children's books. Then I moved on to Reader's Digest when I was 10, though I mostly read the Laughter's the best medicine and Life's Like That sections. I wanted to read Sweet Valley that time but my mother wouldn't let me, so she bought me condensed children's version of the Classics, Three Musketeers, Around the World in 80 Days, etc. It was a total love of books from then on.
  • -gelay--gelay- PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i guess it started from my mom and her bedtime stories. :lol:

my parents are voracious readers. and it also helps that we have a mini-library at home that keeps me (and my siblings) engaged.
  • I was preternaturally drawn to books before I even learned how to read. I preferred drawing over books, because I was pretty good at it. Alas, books had illustrations in them. I was smitten!

The Ladybirds were all to blame for it, especially those heteronormative "Peter and Jane" titles. The racial homogeneity of the illustrations I abhor now and will not give them to my nepnew and niece.

aed57966b8a2a1feb25a18e6da374de0.jpg

fdcce3e0fd06ffc3f46964a3d5568ebb.jpg

060430051d8e3e363b74e8bb089adc7c.jpg

ccaf6626bdffee6026a8310dec7c8160.jpg

The first novel I finished was "Mandy and Her Midnight Journey."

Then came an orphaned copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in sixth grade -- a copy intended for my smart-alecky bestfriend tasked to write a synopsis, who apparently didn't read books! -- which I loved so much. Thanks to my parents for enrolling me in public school I consumed most of the HP books from our library which regularly received donated books from overseas -- way before HP commercially arrived in our shores, which is to say at NBS.
  • AurelianoBuendiaAurelianoBuendia PEx Rookie ⭐
    got started enjoying books with Pugay Baboy, (if you would consider them books)

then jump to mostly Clive Cussler books.

i guess this runs in the family, mostly my mum reads, then my 2 brothers also.
    growing up as a child, i must have picked up what i was observing around me,
  • X_like_MalcolmX_like_Malcolm PEx Rookie ⭐
    Unlike the most of you here, I read books not to wallow myself with pleasure upon the mysteries and drama of the book. I read to improve my writing skill, broaden up my vocabulary, and to acquire knowledge.
  • nakahiligan ko ang pagbabasa dahil sa romance pocketbook at harry potter:D
  • when i was in grade school my uncle ask me to read out loud any book to improve my vocabulary, pronunciation and other skills. nagtuloy tuloy yan hanggang HS, mga kalati pa lang ng school year tapos ko na basahin school book ko. nang mag collage ako, naisip ko, bakit di ako magbasa ng mas entertaining na libro aside from my text book. dun ako nag umpisa magbasa ng pocket book. good thing sa ubelt ako nag aral, so accessible sa maraming klase ng libro.