PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

Eurovision Song Contest

500px-Eurovision_Song_Contest_logo.svg.png

Are there any fans of the Eurovision Song Contest in the Philippines? I hope there are, since now we have our own thread! :D

For those who are new to the Contest, here's a brief excerpt from Wikipedia's article on the Contest.

The Eurovision Song Contest (French: Concours Eurovision de la Chanson) is an annual competition held among many of the active member countries of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU).

Each member country submits a song to be performed on live television and radio and then casts votes for the other countries' songs to determine the most popular song in the competition. The contest has been broadcast every year since its inauguration in 1956 and is one of the longest-running television programmes in the world. It is also one of the most watched non-sporting events in the world, with audience figures having been quoted in recent years as anything between 100 million and 600 million internationally. Eurovision has also been broadcast outside Europe to such places as Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, New Zealand, the Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, the United States, Uruguay and Venezuela despite the fact that they do not compete. Since 2000, the contest has also been broadcast over the Internet, with more than 74,000 people in almost 140 countries having watched the 2006 edition online.

Artists whose international careers were directly launched into the spotlight following their participation and victory at Eurovision include Domenico Modugno who won third place with song "Nel blu dipinto di blu" in 1958, ABBA, who won the contest for Sweden in 1974 with their song "Waterloo", C?line Dion, who won the contest for Switzerland in 1988 with the song "Ne partez pas sans moi", and the Spanish Julio Iglesias who has sold over 300 million records worldwide.

Comments

• Sky HarborSky Harbor Member PExer
    The 2013 Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Malmö, Sweden from May 14-18, with 39 countries participating! Here's a few of this year's entries. :D

Cascada - "Glorious" (Germany)

Bonnie Tyler - "Believe in Me" (United Kingdom)

Margaret Berger - "I Feed You My Love" (Norway)

Koza Mostra and Agathon Iakovidis - "Alcohol is Free" (Greece)

PeR - "Here We Go" (Latvia)

Takasa - "You and Me" (Switzerland; these are members of the Salvation Army)

Ryan Dolan - "Only Love Survives" (Ireland)

Hannah Mancini - "Straight Into Love"

Also, if you love these songs, or if you're interested in the Eurovision Song Contest, come join our Facebook group!
  • Sky HarborSky Harbor Member PExer
    The winner of the 2012 Contest in Baku, Azerbaijan: "Euphoria" by Loreen! :)
  • rocketto05rocketto05 Member PExer
    Hello :) a fan here. I'll post my experience here on how I became familiar with ESC.

It was during October 2012 when I found out what ESC was back when Loreen being declared as the winner in Baku, Azerbaijan. After knowing that, I was so drawn to her music and performance as well as to other singers like Ivi Adamou. But since that wasn't enough for me, I began watching other well-known performances of singers from the previous years such as 2004's Ruslana, 2009's Alexander Rybak, 2010's Lena, and even 2007 runner-up Verka Serduchka.

I also managed to tune in to ESC 2013. Emmelie de Forest was a lesser favorite of mine but the singer whom I wanted to win was Zlata Ognevich from Ukraine due to her big-shot performance, albeit being too generic (even here in the Philippines *cough* Regine *couch*). I also liked Margaret Berger, Birgit Oigemeel, Moje 3, Krista Siegfrid and Koza Mostra. Petra Mede btw did a good job in hosting the show as well as singing during the grand finals' interval act.

It was really a surprise for me on why I became a fan of this show. I guess it's because their music is too vibrant and has great quality in contrast to the mainstream music nowadays and how it really show each of the country's cultural diversity and heritage with the use of their music. Looking forward to ESC 2014!
  • sissyPHILsissyPHIL Member PExer
    Guys, have you joined ESCforum (google for the link)? It's the best forum for Eurovision, people are friendly, there's absolutely everything about ESC, along with hundred little "song contests" (I've talked about world alternative to esc here) but it lacks Filipinos :mecry:

So do join!! *okay*
  • diffident012diffident012 Stranger ✭✭✭
    Up this thread :D

2014 Contest in Copenhagen this coming week :D
    Some frontrunners for 2014:

Armenia - Not Alone

Sweden - Undo

Ukraine - Tick-Tock

Hungary - Running
    Israel - Same Heart

Austria - Rise Like A Phoenix

Romania - Miracle

Spain - Dancing In The Rain

United Kingdom - Children Of The Universe
    This I discovered while digging deep into Eurovision history :lol:
    Epic grannies from 2012 :lol:
    Impressions of Second Rehearsal (and other rehearsal vids on Eurovision YT Channel)

Estonia

Ukraine

San Marino

Russia
    2014 Favorites Sorter :)

http://gerbear.com/esc2014
    maxresdefault.jpg

May 6, 8, and 10 (T/Th/S), 9PM Copenhagen time (around 3AM here the next day)

T and Th are for the Semifinals, S is the finals :)
    First semi-finals later! :)
    Starting in about 10 minutes (they have live streaming on their site)

Anyway, First Semifinal, these are the countries:

3465d918b34f11e3b60412bc0f15d940_6.jpg
    Semifinal 1 Qualifiers

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]Montenegro
    Hungary
    Russia
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    San Marino
    Ukraine
    Sweden
    The Netherlands
    Iceland[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    Semifinal 2 Quali
    fiers:

second+semifinal.png

ctto
  • TheYoungbloodTheYoungblood My pic is self-explanatory. PExer
    Whoa, I wasn't aware that the Eurovision 2014 is ongoing. Anyway, my favorite Eurovision song is from Lordi in Eurovision 2006. They're a metal band from Finland. Draws inspiration to heavy rock band KISS. Since then, I became a huge fan of this band. :)

"Hard Rock Hallelujah" by Lordi.
  • j5bataj5bata There's also ONE BENILDE! ✭✭✭
    Kawawa naman UK. Tagal hindi makaangat sa rankings.
    j5bata wrote: »
    Kawawa naman UK. Tagal hindi makaangat sa rankings.

They have better odds this year, possible winner daw :lol:

Though based sa mga nababasa ko sa ibang sites, aside from UK (na magpeperform pa lang today), it's either Austria, Hungary, Sweden, or Netherlands for the win.
    Who's going to be next in line?

Grand Finals later :bounce2:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file