Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Mid-east events major cause of 9-11 terror attacks

The course of events in the Mid-east over the last few decades, and U.S policies toward the region, I believe were a major factor motivating those behind the U.S. terror attacks of 9-11. Some ask why so much anger towards the U.S. Well if we go back over the years, we may be able to see why.

In 1946, the Jewish population of Palestine was around 600,000, mostly new arrivals from Europe after WWII. The Palestinians, who had been there for over a millenium were 1,300,000 . The UN partition plan in 1947 alloted the Jews with 56% of the land and the Palestinians with 43%, (Jerusalem & Bethlehem would be under international supervision). The Arabs refused and the 1948 war broke out resulting in the creation of Israel with 77% of the land taken by the Jews.

In the 1967 war, Israel took the Sinai & Gaza strip from Egypt, the Golan Heights from Syria and the West Bank and E.Jerusalem from Jordan (which constituted the remaining 22% of historical Palestine).

Un resolution 242, demanded that Israel return ALL the land acquired by force in 1967, and for a settlement of the conflict on the basis of the Palestinians getting the West Bank, Gaza and E.Jerusalem (roughly half of the 43% originally alloted to them in the UN plan of 1947).

Israel refused and started building settlements, confiscating Palestinian land in the West Bank, demolishing homes, destroying agricultural land to make way for settlements, killing and further displacing scores of Palestinians, all in contravention of international law (4th Geneva convention).

Palestinian terrorism only emerged after 1967. The Arabs proposed a just settlement of the conflict on the basis of resolution 242. On the surface, Israel expressed interest (to mollify world opinion), but continued with settlement expansion and expropriating land in defiance of international law.

In 1982, "in response" to the killing of an Israeli diplomat in London, Israel invaded Lebanon on the pretext of driving out the PLO. This despite a period of 11 months of quiet on the Israeli-Lebanese border prior to the invasion. Analysts said it was to install a less hostile Lebanese govt. without the interference of the PLO. Israeli bombardment resulted in 20,000 killed (90% were civilians). The infamous Sabra-Shatila massacres were commited by the Israeli allied Phalange militia leaving 2000 men, women & children dead. Ariel Sharon, in charge of the Lebanon operation was sacked from his job. The world was outraged, and UN resolution 425 demanded Israel get out. They did. 18 years later and after thousands more civilian deaths.

The U.S., over the years, under intense pro-Israel lobby pressure, dropped opposition to Israeli actions, settlements, brutality, and in essence ignored UN res.242, to which they were a signatory back in 1967. The U.S. vetoed several UN resolutions critical of Israel and continued supplying it with massive military and economic aid. A former congressman once said "The Israeli Prime Minister has a lot more influence over the foreign policy of the United States in the Middle East than he has in his own country."

After the Gulf war, a reassessment of the U.S.'s strategic interests was in order. The peace process pushed forward. The Oslo accords were signed in '93 on the premise of land for peace. But Israel continued building settlements on Arab land, destroying homes, confiscating vast tracts of agricultural land from its owners, killing any who resisted, virtually doing everything possible to provoke the extremists into unleashing more terrorism, and then saying to the world the Palestinians dont want peace.

During these years, 600,000 Iraqi infants died from malnutrition and lack of medicine as a result of UN resolution sanctions against Iraq (strictly enforced by the U.S.). That the Iraq UN resolution was being strictly implemented by the U.S., while Israel was flouting every other law and convention in the book, esp. UN242 and the Geneva conventions, and causing the deaths of thousands of Palestinians and Lebanese lives over the years, I think may have been enough to piss someone off quite seriously.
This I believe may have had something to do with the 9-11 terror attacks against the U.S. or at least was as a major motivating factor.

Comments

• Or not. Ask Mohammed Atta, an Egyptian ... a well-funded Egyptian. Ooooops, he's dead ... or is he?
  • well, US has really been abusing weak countries not only in the mideast but as well as the Asian countries. They are playing the whole world like a chess!

No wonder these people are pissed off of the US. However, terrorist acts do not justify their grievances against the US. I strongly believe that the mideast countries could do well if they stick together and show the whole world what the US has done to them! This way (hopefully), they could show their sentiments freely without committing violence against civilians... also US could be more careful next time!:)
  • Originally posted by krauser
    well, US has really been abusing weak countries not only in the mideast but as well as the Asian countries. They are playing the whole world like a chess!

No wonder these people are pissed off of the US. However, terrorist acts do not justify their grievances against the US. I strongly believe that the mideast countries could do well if they stick together and show the whole world what the US has done to them! This way (hopefully), they could show their sentiments freely without committing violence against civilians... also US could be more careful next time!:)
    Mid-East countries ... like Saudi Arabia? Ha ha ha ha ha! Osama bin Laden's country (and 49/50 of the money that was inherited by him and his brothers) recently followed United Arab Emirates against Osama. Iran, a bulwark of terror, is not in favor of Osama because he is a Sunni Muslim (Iran is Shi'ite). The -stans, Uzbekistan, Kyrgistan and Tadjikistan, while Sunni Muslim, do not blend with the fundamentalist Sunni of Osama's hosts within the Taliban.
  • I speak on the consideration of the article above! I'm really fully aware of the Mid-east history or the types of muslims! I just thought that if the they could come together as one, then atrocities committed against them will not prosper anymore!

but please tell me more about it...:)
  • The 9-11 attacks by the terrorists go beyond their differences in politics. It is rooted in deep hatred by a small group of fanatics against the whole western civilization, the US being one of them. They blame the western culture for "polluting" the principles of Islam. Ironically, it is they who have violated the message of peace and avoidance of violence which Islam stands for.

Yes, the US got involved in the Middle East for selfish reasons. That's where they found what was then the cheapest source of oil to feed America's insatiable appetite for fuel to run their cars and industries. Unfortunately, they also created their own monster.

The US, being a capitalist-based country, will, of course, try to influence the rest of the world any way it can to increase its monetary profits. But the US is also the only country with the highest amount of foreign aid to under-developed countries, including the Muslim countries. The US has been one of the most active defenders of Islamic people, such as in Bosnia, in Kuwait, Albania and Kosovo. So it is not fair to say that they have been "abusing" weak countries.

Their "fault" (if we must find one) is in trying to democratize and pattern those countries after the type of government which has been successful for the Americans. Unfortunately, there are countries who should not become democratic because it will never work on them, the reasons ranging from their ingrained culture to religious beliefs.
  • Originally posted by krauser
    I speak on the consideration of the article above! I'm really fully aware of the Mid-east history or the types of muslims! I just thought that if the they could come together as one, then atrocities committed against them will not prosper anymore!

but please tell me more about it...:)
    Fully aware, huh? If you were fully aware, then you would know that Iran will never align with the Taliban, much less with the other governments. But you said they could come together as ONE ... yeah right!
  • It's true that the US being a major ally of Israel does have the responsibility also to try to help reign in Israel's hardline stance, which it had not been doing well enough lately. But does that justify a slaughter of over 6,500 of it's innocent men, women and children? Of course not. Israel is the one who directly committed these violations against Palestinians, why can't those terrorists retaliate against them instead? Simple. Because the Israelis are smart and as ruthless as they are, and they could never seem to have their way with Israel. 'Di nila kaya Isreal, eh, kaya yung iba na lang na mas kaya nila ang tinitira nila'.

Despite close ties between the US and Israel, it's not always easy for the former to exert pressure on the latter, because Israel tends to have a mind of it's own due to it's continuing success against the whole Arab world. They feel they know better than anyone else on how to survive, and their track record shows it. Complicating the fact is that Israel is the US' only RELIABLE and major ally in the Middle East, where the world gets most of it's oil supply from. The US has a lot at stake on those oil fields in the Middle East. Anything overtly bad happening to those could lead the US economy to ruins, so the US' interests in the ME is "critical".

As for those Palestinians, again, that issue of moral ascendancy. Sure, a lot of them were killed by Israelis no doubt. But has killing Israeli civilians led them anywhere near to getting what they want? That is the question. It has only brought to them more misery, and has not gained them sympathy of the rest of the world. Problem is, they just don't have an effective leader who could fight smartly and fairly the Israelis.

Lebanon was used by the PLO to launch guerilla-led attacks against Israeli positions, and the Israeli did drive them out of that country during their 2nd invasion in 1982. The US mediated an accord in between Lebanon and Israel in 1983, and the latter did withdraw it's troops from the Beirut area. However, they kept some forces in southern Lebanon since their withdrawal was supposed to coincide with the withdrawal of Syrian troops from the Bekaa valley, but the Syrians didn't withdraw.

Syria, one of Israel's main enemies, has since moved into the country in 1986-1987, and has wielded a lot of influence into the local government there.

Bin Laden's hatred for the US stems from the stationing of US troops in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf war. He sees it as a desecration 'daw' of the holy grounds of Mecca, which is why he came out with his "Declaration of Jihad" in 1996, which he has since expanded to specifically state that muslims should kill all Americans (as in any American) wherever they could find them. He has already been linked to a couple of successful terrorist attacks against US installations.
  • Now that you've had a chance to read that old tired arab propaganda, perhaps you can read Myths & Facts Online A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict.
    Originally posted by krauser:
    I speak on the consideration of the article above! I'm really fully aware of the Mid-east history or the types of muslims! I just thought that if the they could come together as one, then atrocities committed against them will not prosper anymore!

Fully aware? Yeah, right! You need to read up on it some more. Here, you can read History of Israel, from 1850-present.

May 9, 2001:
    Syrian Defense Minister Dr. Mustafah Tallas asserted
    that killing Jews is a spiritual imperative for Arabs.
    "We live in a tradition of martyrdom," Tallas said
    in an interview on Lebanese television. "When I see
    a Jew before me, I kill him. If every Arab did this,
    it would be the end of the Jews. Read the full story here.

1800s
    "Palestine's" early Jewish re-settlers were idealistic pioneers who arrived in pre-state Israel with every intention of living in peace alongside their Arab neighbors and upgrading the quality of life for all of the land's inhabitants. The vast majority of Arabs came to the area AFTER these early Zionists pioneers began to drain the malaria-infested swamps and rebuild the land! In doing so, these Jews created the economic opportunities and medical availabilities which ATTRACTED Arabs from both surrounding territories and far-away lands! In fact, over 90% of the Arabs migrated there within the last one hundred years. So much for their unfounded claims that they have been there since "time immemorial!" Source : ISRAEL 101: A SURVIVAL KIT FOR DUMMIES
  • Here is a link to Islam Exposed from a Hindu website. It gives one new insight into the mindset of how Islamic extremists think.
  • Originally posted by Lord Mayhem
    Now that you've had a chance to read that old tired arab propaganda, perhaps you can read Myths & Facts Online A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict.

hmmm, is this tired old Arab propaganda?:

"QUEST FOR JUSTICE"

by Judith Stone
    [email protected]

I am a Jew. I was a participant in the Rally for the Right of Return to Palestine. It was the right thing to do. I've heard about the European holocaust against the Jews since I was a small child. I've visited the memorials in Washington, DC and Jerusalem dedicated to Jewish lives lost and I've cried at the recognition to what level of atrocity mankind is capable of sinking.

Where are the Jews of conscience? No righteous malice can be held against the survivors of Hitler's holocaust. These fragments of humanity were in no position to make choices beyond that of personal survival. We must not forget that being a survivor or a co-religionist of the victims of the European Holocaust does not grant dispensation from abiding by the rules of humanity. "Never again" as a motto, rings hollow when it means "never again to us alone."

My generation was raised being led to believe that the biblical land was a vast desert inhabited by a handful of impoverished Palestinians living with their camels and eking out a living in the sand. The arrival of the Jews was touted as a tremendous benefit to these desert dwellers. Golda Mier even assured us that there "is no Palestinian problem."

We know now this picture wasn't as it was painted. Palestine was a land filed with people who called it home. There were thriving towns and villages, schools and hospitals. There were Jews, Christians and Muslims. In fact, prior to the occupation, Jews represented a mere 7 percent of the population and owned 3 percent of the land.

Taking the blinders off for a moment, I see a second atrocity perpetuated by the very people who should be exquisitely sensitive to the suffering of others. These people knew what it felt like to be ordered out of your home at gun point and forced to march into the night to unknown destinations or face execution on the spot. The people who displaced the Palestinians knew first hand what it means to watch your home in flames, to surrender everything dear to your heart at a moment's notice.

Bulldozers leveled hundreds of villages, along with the remains of the village inhabitants, the old and the young. This was nothing new to the world.

Poland is a vast graveyard of the Jews of Europe. Israel is the final resting place of the massacred Palestinian people. A short distance from the memorial to the Jewish children lost to the holocaust in Europe there is a leveled parking lot. Under this parking lot is what's left of a once flourishing village and the bodies of men, women and children whose only crime was taking up needed space and not leaving graciously. This particular burial marker reads: "Public Parking".

I've talked with Palestinians. I have yet to meet a Palestinian who hasn't lost a member of their family to the Israeli Shoah, nor a Palestinian who cannot name a relative or friend languishing under inhumane conditions in an Israeli prison. Time and time again, Israel is cited for human rights violations to no avail. On a recent trip to Israel, I visited the refugee camps inhabited by a people who have waited 52 years in these 'temporary' camps to go home. Every Palestinian grandparent can tell you the name of their village, their street, and where the olive trees were planted. Their grandchildren may never have been home, but they can tell you where their great-grandfather lies buried and where the village well stood.

The press has fostered the portrait of the Palestinian terrorist. But, the victims who rose up against human indignity in the Warsaw Ghetto are called heroes. Those who lost their lives are called martyrs. The Palestinian who tosses a rock in desperation is a terrorist.

Two years ago I drove through Palestine and watched intricate sprinkler systems watering lush green lawns of Zionist settlers in their new condominium complexes, surrounded by armed guards and barbed wire in the midst of a Palestinian community where there was not adequate water to drink and the surrounding fields were sandy and dry. University professor Moshe Zimmerman reported in the Jerusalem Post (April 30, 1995), "The [Jewish] children of Hebron are just like Hitler's youth."

We Jews are suing for restitution, lost wages, compensation for homes, land, slave labor and back wages in Europe. Am I a traitor of a Jew for supporting the right of return of the Palestinian refugees to their birthplace and compensation for what was taken that cannot be returned? The Jewish dead cannot be brought back to life and neither can the Palestinian massacred be resurrected.

David Ben Gurion said, "Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves... politically, we are the aggressors and they defend themselves... The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from them their country..."

Palestine is a land that has been occupied and emptied of its people. It's cultural and physical landmarks have been obliterated and replaced by tidy Hebrew signs. The history of a people was the first thing eradicated by the occupiers. The history of the indigenous people (only 52 years old) has been all but eradicated as though they never existed. And all this has been hailed by the world as a miraculous act of God.

We must recognize that Israel's existence is not even a question of legality so much as it is an illegal fait accompli realized through the use of force while supported by the Western powers. The UN missions directed at Israel in attempting to correct its violations of have thus far been futile.

In Hertzl's "The Jewish State," the father of Zionism said, "...We must investigate and take possession of the new Jewish country by means of every modern expedient."

I guess I agree with Ehud Barak (3 June 1998) when he said, "If I were a Palestinian, I'd also join a terror group." I'd go a step further perhaps. Rather than throwing little stones in desperation, I'd hurtle a boulder.

Hopefully, somewhere deep inside, every Jew of conscience knows that this was no war; that this was not God's restitution of the holy land to it's rightful owners. We know that a human atrocity was and continues to be perpetuated against an innocent people who couldn't come up with the arms and money to defend themselves against the western powers bent upon their demise as a people.

We cannot continue to say, "But what were we to do?" Zionism is not synonymous with Judaism. I wholly support the rally of the right of return of the Palestinian people.
    Now that you've had a chance to read that old tired arab propaganda, perhaps you can read Myths & Facts Online A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict.

I checked Mayhems site. Talk about the old Arab propaganda, his site is part of the "Jewish Virtual Library", in essence a site dedicated to Jewish and Israeli interests, esp. the Israeli govt. It even has a forward by Ariel Sharon, indicted by a Belgian court for crimes against humanity. Objectivity can hardly be a reasonable expectation. Fortuanately, there are many conscientious Jews on the net who expressed their heart-felt dissatisfaction and dismay at their country's policies, among them rabbis, academics, journalists, intellectuals and even holocaust survivors. Here are some of their sites:

Jews Against Occupation http://www.angelcities.com/memberes/jato
    Jewish Peace Fellowship http://www.jewishpeacefellowship.org/index.htm
    Neturei Karta Homepage http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/5750/home.html
    Jews NOT Zionists http://www.jewsnotzionists.org/
    Yesh Gvul (IDF men refusing to serve in the Occupied Territories) http://www.diak.org/Haayesh-gvul.htm Israeli Committee Against Home Demolitions http://www.salam.org/activism/home_demolitions.html
    Bat Shalom, Israeli Women for Peace http://www.batshalom.org/
    B'Tselem http://www.btselem.org/
    Occupied Territory http://www.occupied.org/
    Rabbis for Human Rights http://www.rhr.israel.net/indexa.html
    Not in Our Name Coalition http://www.diak.org/not_in_our_name.htm
    Oz v'Shalom - Netivot Shalom (religious Zionist anti-Occupation) http://www.ariga.com/ozveshalom
    Jewish Alliance Against the Occupation http://www.opentent.org/jews.html
    Association for Civil Rights in Israel http://www.nif.org/acri/
    Gush Shalom http://www.gush-shalom.org/
    Jewish People Liberation Army http://msanews.mynet.net/Scholars/Weizfeld/
    Amira Hass, Gideon Levy and others writing articles in Haaretz http://www.haaretzdaily.com/
    Alliance of Middle East Scientists and Physicians http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~yoram/amesp.html
    Visions for Peace with Justice in Israel/Palestine http://www.vopj.org/
    Middle East Crisis Committee http://www.thestruggle.com
    Search for Justice and Equality http://www.searchforjustice.org
    Tikkun Magazine http://www.tikkun.org
  • Originally posted by Murphy
    I checked Mayhems site. Talk about the old Arab propaganda, his site is part of the "Jewish Virtual Library", in essence a site dedicated to Jewish and Israeli interests, esp. the Israeli govt. It even has a forward by Ariel Sharon, indicted by a Belgian court for crimes against humanity. Objectivity can hardly be a reasonable expectation. Fortuanately, there are many conscientious Jews on the net who expressed their heart-felt dissatisfaction and dismay at their country's policies, among them rabbis, academics, journalists, intellectuals and even holocaust survivors. Here are some of their sites:

Hey Murphy, it isn't my site. The sites you link to represent the minority. Every country has those misguided people who subscribe to the attitude of appeasement. That's the kind of attitude that let Hitler have free reign in Europe. FYI, it isn't just Jews who the Arabs continually commit atrocities against. What say you to the Islam Exposed links? That's a HINDU site. If you wish, I will put all the links from that site here. There are so many! To this day, the Arab muslims have been killing and murdering Hindus. Where is your condemnation of that? Your heart bleeds for the poor Palestinians, yet you overlook all their crimes and the crimes of their ilk. I was once sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, until I found out what kind of people they really are. You talk about the indictment of Sharon in a Belgian court but neglect to say it was brought about by Syrian lawyers. What of the crimes of the butcher Yaser Arafat? The tone of your posts suggests that of an arab apologist and that their monstrous terrorism is justifiable.

As for the Iraqis, you should know they always inflate or outright lie about casualties. We could bomb an automated radar site, and they would still claim that an X number of women and children killed. I'll say it outright: The Arabs care nothing for us "kafirs, crusaders, infidels," or other such names they call us.
  • Question for Murphy:

The land that encompassed what's supposedly called "Palestine" includes land in Lebanon, Jordan, & Syria. Why aren't the Palestinians engaging in terrorism and fighting for their land back in those countries?

If it's about land, then it should make no difference if those countries are muslim or not. They should also be fighting for East Jerusalem where it's under Jordanian control, right?
  • Myth: Everything that's wrong with Iraq's economy is because of sanctions.

Fact: Iraq enjoyed a strong economy until Saddam Hussein took power and launched attacks against his neighbors--Iran in 1980 and Kuwait in 1990--with devastating results for Iraq. It took 5 years for Saddam to accept the oil-for-food program. Saddam also has failed to implement policies that would boost economic growth and generate job opportunities to improve the population's living standards.
    Myth: The Iraqi people do not have an adequate supply of medicine because of sanctions.

Fact: Sanctions have never prohibited or limited the import of medicine. In fact, the UN has urged the Iraqi regime to order more basic medicines, but Baghdad has refused. Saddam has been criticized by the UN for intentionally hoarding medicines in warehouses in government controlled Iraq instead of distributing it to civilians.
    Myth: Sanctions prohibit humanitarian contributions to Iraq.

Fact: Sanctions do not prohibit humanitarian contributions, Saddam does. Since June 1998, Saddam has publicly refused a number of humanitarian contributions while claiming that his people are suffering.
    Myth: Sanctions prohibit the import of pencils, books and journals, and desks for schools.

Fact: Basic educational supplies including pencils, books, and desks have never been prohibited by UN sanctions. They have been sent to Iraq regularly since 1991 and nearly $64 million of supplies for the education sector, including photocopiers, and printing and lab equipment, have entered Iraq under the oil-for-food program.
    Myth: Sanctions prohibit Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) from working in Iraq and the UN can run whatever programs it wants in country.

Fact: Saddam has refused to allow most NGOs into Iraq and sometimes impedes UN workers trying to oversee oil-for-food programs. In fact, Saddam launched a series of terrorist attacks against NGO and UN workers in northern Iraq in the early 1990s.
    Myth: Sanctions prevent Iraqis from going on the Hajj.

Fact: Sanctions have never prevented Iraqis from making the Hajj. The Security Council exempted Hajj flights from flight restrictions and has offered the use of oil-for-food revenue to fund private Iraqi Hajj travel, but Baghdad rejected the plan.
    Myth: Sanctions prevent travel to the Muslim holy sites in southern Iraq.

Fact: Sanctions have never prohibited travel in or out of Iraq. The UN Sanctions Committee approved a ferry service allowing pilgrims in the region to travel to An Najaf and Karbala.
    Myth: Sanctions have crippled Iraq's ability to export oil.

Fact: Iraq's oil exports are approaching pre-war levels. Prior to the Gulf War, Iraq was exporting about 2.6 million barrels per day of crude oil. Its current crude oil exports have averaged about 2.2 million barrels per day in recent months, and the regime said it plans to increase exports to about 2.7 million barrels per day by yearend, which is higher than pre-war exports. In addition, Iraq is smuggling 2.8 million barrels of oil per month through the Persian Gulf.
    Myth: Sanctions on Iraq will never be lifted.

Fact: Sanctions remain in place because Iraq refuses to comply with Security Council resolutions. The requirements for lifting sanctions have not changed since they were first imposed in 1991. UN Resolution 1284, which Iraq rejects, lays a path for the eventual suspension and lifting of sanctions.
    Myth: The international community has not taken measures to care for the Iraqi people.

Fact: The UN designed the oil-for-food program in 1991-unprecedented in size and scope-to provide food and medicine for the Iraqi people. Saddam rejected it outright for four years and then slow-rolled it for another year and a half. The substantial expansion over the years has increased provisions for Iraqis. The international community continues to look for ways to improve the program, despite Saddam's effort to undermine humanitarian efforts.
    Myth: The oil-for-food program has failed to meet basic needs of the Iraqi people and it never will.

Fact: Oil-for-food has made significant improvements in the lives of the Iraqis and will continue to do so. The increase in revenue under the oil-for-food program from $4 billion in the first year of the program to a projected $20.4 billion this year means there is a tremendous amount of money available for humanitarian goods. The government of Iraq must choose to make that happen. In northern Iraq, where the UN controls the humanitarian relief programs, child mortality rates are lower than they were before the Gulf War. However, in southern and central Iraq, where the Iraqi Government controls the oil-for-food program, mortality rates have doubled.
    Myth: There is a limit on the amount of food Iraq can import.

Fact: There has never been a limit on the amount of food Iraq can import.
    Myth: Contract holds have kept a majority of goods from entering Iraq.

Fact: Since the oil-for-food program was implemented in March 1997, the UN Sanctions Committee has approved about 90% of Iraqi contracts received.
    Myth: The Iraqi Government is doing all it can to make the oil-for-food program work.

Fact: The regime is slow to order and distribute goods and Saddam's lack of cooperation on monitoring makes it difficult to ensure goods are equitably distributed to the Iraqi people. Baghdad has rejected UN recommendations to increase protein enriched goods for malnourished children and pregnant women. The Iraqi Government has also rejected assistance by all but a few Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and other outside groups.
    Myth: The UN provides substandard goods under the oil-for-food program.

Fact: Under oil-for-food, Saddam, not the UN, chooses what is purchased and from whom. Saddam's choice of suppliers is politically motivated. Over one-third of all contracts have gone to Iraq's three most vocal supporters on the Security Council. Iraq also continues to oppose placing mobile testing laboratories for humanitarian goods under oil-for-food at UN entry points that would insure the quality of goods delivered.
    Myth: Iraq does not have the resources to support the Iraqi people.

Fact: Baghdad has significant resources available to alleviate much of Iraq's humanitarian suffering, but Saddam does not spend the money on the Iraqi people. The oil-for-food program allows Iraq to sell as much oil as required to meet humanitarian needs. From December 1999 to June 2000, Iraq earned approximately $8.3 billion from oil sales.
    Myth: There is little food available in Iraq.

Fact: More than 13 million metric tons of foodstuffs have arrived in Iraq since the first deliveries of the oil-for-food program began in 1997. In fact, Baghdad has been caught exporting dates, corn, and grain outside of Iraq while claiming the Iraqi people are starving.
    Myth: Iraq is in compliance with UN Security Council Resolutions.

Fact: Iraq has not complied with UN Security Council Resolutions that call for dismantling weapons of mass destruction programs, and returning Kuwaiti and other nations' missing persons and POWs and Kuwaiti property seized during the Gulf War.
    Myth: Iraq has accounted for all Kuwaiti POWs and missing persons during the Gulf War.

Fact: Iraq has still not accounted for some 600 missing Kuwaitis. For over a year, the regime has refused to cooperate with the ICRC in this humanitarian endeavor. Baghdad also will not allow the UN Kuwaiti Issues Coordinator entry into Iraq to discuss POWs or the property Iraq stole from Kuwait.
    Myth: UNSCOM inspectors behaved badly and deserved to be thrown out of Iraq.

Fact: The inspectors were not thrown out of Iraq. Iraq's obstructionism and refusal to cooperate with the weapons inspectors, who were carrying out a UN Security Council mandate, prevented the inspectors from fulfilling their mission and they had no choice but to leave.
    Myth: Saddam is not more brutal than other dictators.

Fact: Saddam's gassing of the Kurds in northern Iraq in 1988 was one of the largest chemical weapon attacks ever waged against a civilian population. Even today, Saddam continues to practice systematic torture, executions, forced displacement, and repression against the Iraqi people. The US is currently seeking an indictment of senior regime officials for these atrocities.
    Myth: Only ethnic minorities (not Sunnis) in Iraq are subject to harsh treatment by the regime.

Fact: Any group opposed to Saddam Hussein's regime is subject to brutal repression. The regime has moved against its people-be they Arab, Kurd, or Turkoman, Sunni, Shia, or Christian-through expulsion from their homes, razing of villages, arbitrary arrest, execution, and torture.
    Myth: Iraq is no longer a threat to its neighbors.

Fact: As a result of its refusal to cooperate with the UN disarmament regime, Iraq maintains the capacity to produce missiles and chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons. The absence of UN inspectors from Iraq has afforded Saddam the opportunity to reconstitute his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction. Saddam has already launched two bloody wars; one against Iran in 1980 and the other against Kuwait in 1990. In the last couple of years, Saddam Hussein has repeatedly issued public threats against his neighbors, including calls for the overthrow of a number of regimes.
    Myth: Coalition airstrikes are aimed at the Iraqi people.

Fact: The air strikes are not targeted at the Iraqi people. They are the direct response for self-defense of the forces that protect the Kurds in the north and the Shia in the south from the regime's civilian repression.
    Myth: Saddam's palaces are used by the Iraqi people.

Fact: The nearly 80 palaces and VIP residences in Iraq are purely for the enjoyment of Saddam, his family, and key supporters as a reward for their loyalty. Saddam's inner circle is immune from harsh living conditions facing the general population.
  • Another question for Murphy:

When muslims were being exterminated in death camps in Kosovo and Bosnia, where was arab sympathy then? Why weren't arabs screaming about their bretheren being massacred?
  • Another question for Murphy:

When Saddam was exterminating the Kurds in Northern Iraq with poison gas, where was the arab outcry of rage?
  • An evil man like Saddam Hussein continues to let his people starve knowing full well the economic sanctions do not affect humanitarian aid in order to garner arab support. Yet arab apologists continue to blindly believe his lies!. How sad!

Hey Murphy, it isn't my site. The sites you link to represent the minority. Every country has those misguided people..."

Wow, 6 posts in a row by Mayhem. Hmmm, have we touched a nerve here? He said "it isn't my site", of course not, it's an official Israeli site. But maybe this is your site (ISRAEL 101: A SURVIVAL KIT FOR DUMMIES) I checked this out too, it seems like a settler site. At least they're honest about the sites title "... for dummies". Well now, do we have a settler in our midst? He lists a Hindu site about Muslims. I think many are aware of clashes between Hindus & Muslims and the conflict in Kashmir. So a Hindu site about Muslims is not much different to a Jewish site in that regard. Anyway, I am not a believer of the faith nor is this an argument about Islam which has several threads elswhere on the PEX.

As far as Mayhem's questions about Saddam and the Arabs, I should say that I am not a spokesman for them. Everyone knows Saddam is a tyranical despot. Mayhem also says "The sites you link to represent the minority. Every country has those misguided people ...". Unfortunately that is true. These sites represent a minority of well-intentioned, conscientious, good people who are a credit to their Jewish brethren. Yes, a sad fact they are a minority. The majority opted for the election of Ariel Sharon, an indicted war criminal, whose record of ruthlessness puts him on the level of Saddam and Milosivic. He can't even visit Belgium where he will be arrested! His record stretches back to the early days of Israel. Heres a little sample from 1953 as related by Israeli historian Avi Shlaim:
    "Sharon's order was to penetrate Qibya, blow up houses and inflict heavy casualties on its inhabitants. His success in carrying out the order surpassed all expectations. The full and macabre story of what happened at Qibya was revealed only during the morning after the attack. The village had been reduced to rubble: forty-five houses had been blown up, and sixty-nine civilians, two thirds of them women and children, had been killed. Sharon and his men claimed that they believed that all the inhabitants had run away and that they had no idea that anyone was hiding inside the houses. The UN observer who inspected the scene reached a different conclusion: "One story was repeated time after time: the bullet splintered door, the body sprawled across the threshold, indicating that the inhabitants had been forced by heavy fire to stay inside until their homes were blown up over them."
    Well today, he is the prime minister of Israel.
  • Originally posted by Murphy
    Wow, 6 posts in a row by Mayhem. Hmmm, have we touched a nerve here? He said "it isn't my site", of course not, it's an official Israeli site. But maybe this is your site (ISRAEL 101: A SURVIVAL KIT FOR DUMMIES) I checked this out too, it seems like a settler site. At least they're honest about the sites title "... for dummies". Well now, do we have a settler in our midst? He lists a Hindu site about Muslims. I think many are aware of clashes between Hindus & Muslims and the conflict in Kashmir. So a Hindu site about Muslims is not much different to a Jewish site in that regard. Anyway, I am not a believer of the faith nor is this an argument about Islam which has several threads elswhere on the PEX.

Settler? Me? Hardly, hehehe. Just one who was once sympathetic to the Palestinians until he started researching the problem and talking to in-laws who are OFWs in Tel Aviv, and the UNIFIL there in Israel. I guess you're not familiar with College Sports, or else you would know where the Cornhuskerland is.

But I believe the arab's muslim faith is at the very heart of the matter. It encompasses everything they do, so please do not try to escape the issue. The simple fact is that you cannot admit that religion of the arabs has everything to do with the problems of the middle east. The fact of the matter is that the arabs cannot stand the existence of a non-Islamic country in their back yard. Your heart bleeds for arab muslims, but you ignore their crimes against Jews, Hindus, etc. Hindus also have a reason to hate muslims.

Arab muslims are racists, pure and simple. This is the same Arab racism that ignores Palestinian atrocities, yet condemns Israel's efforts to defend herself. This is the same Arab racism that ignored the Bosnian and Albanian Muslims simply because they aren't Arab.

The beginning of your post tries to pin the blame on the US for it's policies and it's support for Israel, which from the tone of your post, represents the whole problem of the middle east.
    Originally posted by Murphy
    As far as Mayhem's questions about Saddam and the Arabs, I should say that I am not a spokesman for them. Everyone knows Saddam is a tyranical despot.

No you're not their spokesperson, but I asked you the hard questions, especially ones which involve US foreign policy which you seem to believe is the cause of the WTC massacre. You attacked US policy on Iraq, but are unable to defend your statement when confronted with the facts.

You are unable to give a reason why Palestinians aren't fighting for their land in Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon, but continue to terrorize Israel. You conveniently fail to mention the 1948 war, the 1973 war. You also fail to mention how neighboring arab states condone and even support palestinian atrocities while condemning Israel. Shall I post all the stories from Arab newspapers like the Middle East Times, here? That would take all night.

Then you launch into an attack on Sharon, as if he's the cause of the WTC massacre. I'm sure I could dig up enough material on Arafat's Fatah, HAMAS, Hizbollah, Abu Nidal, Black September, DFLP, 15 May Organization, Force 17, Palestine Islamic Jihad, Popular Struggle Front, etc, and go tit for tat. But that would also take all night.

Notice how arab apologists refer to the massacre as merely terror attacks? As if nearly 7,000 people weren't murdered in cold blood. It's a way of dehumanizing the event to make it seem more palatable to them.

Here's a good link: The Terrorism Research Center
  • It's amazing that Arab muslims have the nerve to criticize US policy in the middle east when they themselves are murdering Jews, Hindus, and their own women. This makes them the biggest hypocrites of them all. But then again, what do they care about the opinions of us "fakirs".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file