Home PEx Sports The NCAA Tourney

Fil-Oil Flying V Cup 2013 Thread

It's exciting to see who among the UAAP and NCAA teams will stand-out in the Fil-Oil tourney before they compete in their respective leagues or FIBA Asia disrupts their usual schedule. ;)

And the SWU Cobras are participating this season and they might surprise a lot of teams! *okay*

Comments

• Here are the lists of competing teams for this pre-season tournament.

Bracket A:
    San Beda College
    University of Perpetual Help Dalta System
    National University
    Far Eastern University
    University of the Philippines
    Arellano University
    College of Saint Benilde
    Jose Rizal University
    Adamson University

Bracket B:
    Ateneo de Manila University
    De La Salle University
    University of Santo Tomas
    University of the East
    San Sebastian College-Recoletos
    Colegio de San Juan de Letran
    Lyceum of the Philippines University
    Emilio Aguinaldo College
    Southwestern University
  • It's exciting to see who among the UAAP and NCAA teams will stand-out in the Fil-Oil tourney before they compete in their respective leagues or FIBA Asia disrupts their usual schedule. ;)

And the SWU Cobras are participating this season and they might surprise a lot of teams! *okay*

All eyes probably on SWU coach yayoy alcoseba and not on his team.. hehehe!
  • spongklong wrote: »
    All eyes probably on SWU coach yayoy alcoseba and not on his team.. hehehe!

I hope he learned a lesson about berating his players on national television. His incident with his player after that PCCL semis loss to SBC last year left an impression. :smokin:
  • DevastatorDevastator The Absolute Power PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    The school should have acted immediately after that incident. Berating a player is one another, but getting physical is another. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaYqcMMZ6A
  • Sa palagay ko hush-hush na ang disciplinary action (may it be a verbal reprimand or another type of sanction) sa coach ng Cobras, tama na isang nakakahiyang insidente ng pagiging pisikal ng coach. Wala lang kasi official statement ang SWU about what happened in the PCCL.

Hoping it doesn't happen again to them or any other school participating in this tourney. :smokin:
  • I hope he learned a lesson about berating his players on national television. His incident with his player after that PCCL semis loss to SBC last year left an impression. :smokin:

SWU games kasi are not televised in Cebu.. But from my sources, hindi lang yan ang insidente niya nang pananakit sa players in a game.. honestly, it is one of the reasons why i think mbala decided so easily to jumpship.. yes we know he may had been offered but deciding too easily was a bit surprising to me considering he really has no future in philippine basketball.. after his college career he's gone..

anyways on to the topic, this has got to be the best year for filoil.. from their rocky start back in 2006, this league has gained tremendous support from participating schools and the competitiveness increases every year. i hope not only the opening day games, dlsu-admu game, and championship be televised. rarely do we see a UAAP-NCAA crossover matches so i hope filoil be given a chance.
  • Mas maganda pa nga ang Fil-Oil kesa sa PCCL eh.
  • spongklong wrote: »
    SWU games kasi are not televised in Cebu.. But from my sources, hindi lang yan ang insidente niya nang pananakit sa players in a game.. honestly, it is one of the reasons why i think mbala decided so easily to jumpship.. yes we know he may had been offered but deciding too easily was a bit surprising to me considering he really has no future in philippine basketball.. after his college career he's gone..

anyways on to the topic, this has got to be the best year for filoil.. from their rocky start back in 2006, this league has gained tremendous support from participating schools and the competitiveness increases every year. i hope not only the opening day games, dlsu-admu game, and championship be televised. rarely do we see a UAAP-NCAA crossover matches so i hope filoil be given a chance.

And while we are tackling the subject of abusive coaches, let's deviate just a little bit more on the subject through Devastator's initial video about a recent incident in Rutgers University in the US. Special thanks to the CNN website for this story! :D

Rutgers coach fired after abusive video broadcast
    By Michael Pearson and Brittany Brady, CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/03/sport/rutgers-video-attack/index.html?hpt=isp_mid

If there's anything that the Fil-Oil organizers can do, it's that they will also protect the interests of student-athletes by preventing abuses like the one above to happen within a game or monitor coaches who have anger management issues.

Of course, we do not have information pertaining to the practices of coaches in both the UAAP or the NCAA behind closed doors of their respective gyms, but we should at least do an effort to expose such acts of abuse if found. Then call the attention of their respective school administrators.

It's enough that certain schools want to limit your opportunities to move forward to college, dignifying abuses in the guise of building skills, teamwork, discipline, and coaching philosophy is not.
  • Mas maganda pa nga ang Fil-Oil kesa sa PCCL eh.

agree.. ang tingin ko kasi, ang pre-season ang binibigyang importansya ng mga schools dahil nga magkakaalaman na kung sino ang ilalagay nila sa lineup ng NCAA/UAAP.. on the other hand, hindi na siniseryoso ang post-season kasi pinapagpahinga na ang mga players aside from getting them back to study..

pero para sa akin, dapat ang PCCL ang pinaka tournament sa college basketball.. hindi ang NCAA o UAAP.. although mahirapan ang PCCL to establish themselves because they are going against leagues that were established even before the brains behind PCCL were born.. siguro sa susunod pang generation mangyri na ang PCCL eh ang magiging grand tournament of college basketball..
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    spongklong wrote: »

Studio 23 has limited time constraints which is why only selected Filoil games are televised. Remember, ABS-CBN Sports does not have the NCAA TV rights anymore.
  • ^^Yup I know.. I'm just clamoring for more exposure of Filoil like tv coverage of other games.
  • tupangusatupangusa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    This filoil edition will have saturday games televised per info gathered from other forum.
  • Rafiboy_05Rafiboy_05 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    wala pa bang schedule na nilalabas?
  • tupangusatupangusa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    meron na.punta na lang kayo sa mga fora..alam nyo na yun kung ano yung mga yun!
  • Big DaddyBig Daddy PEx Rookie ⭐
    spongklong wrote: »

The past 3 years we saw only the opening games, dlsu-admu, and finals games. You know why they are bringing it to another level? Because it will be the 4th out of the 5-year contract with ABS-CBN. Rumor has it that TV5/AKTV is going to bid for the FilOil after their contract with ABS-CBN expires after the 2014 FILOIL. Go figure.
  • di kasali ang Mapua?..... Cardinals performance is declining every season, sana bigyan ng full attention and support ng management and school community. Longing for those years where the Cardinals stands as a strong contender sa amateur/collegiate basketball league - the Kevin Ramas-Benny Cheng era...
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Mapua did not join because they are still conducting tryouts for new players.
  • Big Daddy wrote: »
    The past 3 years we saw only the opening games, dlsu-admu, and finals games. You know why they are bringing it to another level? Because it will be the 4th out of the 5-year contract with ABS-CBN. Rumor has it that TV5/AKTV is going to bid for the FilOil after their contract with ABS-CBN expires after the 2014 FILOIL. Go figure.

thanks for the info.. didn't know that.
  • With the exception of San Beda, I have this feeling that there are NCAA Teams that are still holding back in the Filoil.

Arellano, for example is not using Some of its players notably Serjue.

Where is Hapi of EAC?

Perpetual is keeping Babyemi and Thompson.

Baste still keeping its cards.

Mapua did not even join.